Author Topic: Complete ALPs switch swap, help? advice?  (Read 1066 times)

Offline slaction

Complete ALPs switch swap, help? advice?
« on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 02:01:33 »
Hey everyone,

So, I'm borderline obsessed with the idea if a modern compact keyboard with Yellow or Orange Alps switches.  I have a bunch of Apple M0116 boards with Yellow switches and love them, but I need something more compact and with a more modern layout.  I really want a 60% form factor as I've got used to it and it's hands down my favorite.  Needless to say, there isn't anything on the market like this, even in a 75% size that I could find.

So I figured I'd try to build one myself.  I have no experience with building custom boards, and I have barely soldered in my life. 

I'm trying to make this as easy as possible, so here is what I was thinking.....

I have a KB V60 with Matias switches.  I also have a bunch of older Apple boards with yellow alps that are in good shape.  My plan was to remove the Matias switches from the V60, remove the yellow alps from the old Apple boards and then install them in the V60.

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to the hands on side of things with custom keyboards, so I wanted to ask here if there is anything that I'm missing, or something that I need to be aware of, or watch out for when doing this?

I understand that I would have to desolder all of the switches and then resolder them into the V60.  Again, this is my first custom build and I'm assuming that it should work, am I naive to assume that?

Any advice, tips, or anything that would help me get through this would be awesome and very much appreciated!

Thanks

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Complete ALPs switch swap, help? advice?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 02:26:00 »
Your plan is sound, I highly recommend the Geekhacker's Sodapult if you don't already have one.  Heat the pin until you see all the solder melt then suck, and hopefully you'll get a clear hole.  If not add a bit of fresh solder and wait for it to mix with the old and suck again - do not just keep heating or you will lift pads! :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline slaction

Re: Complete ALPs switch swap, help? advice?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 03:16:00 »
Thanks for the advice!  I'll will be picking one up for sure.