Author Topic: red or maybe other color HHKB FN key  (Read 1755 times)

Offline TopreFan333

red or maybe other color HHKB FN key
« on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 16:29:52 »
Setting up (and getting used to) a HHKB -- I think having the FN key in red or maybe another color would help me spot it more quickly and also look cool.  Anybody have a tip on where I'd find such a thing? Thanks!

ps: checked Elitekeyboards. They have ESC and Control keys, WASD, some Enters, but no FN keys.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 February 2015, 16:40:38 by dchadwick »

Offline KatzenKinder

• * Maker
Re: red or maybe other color HHKB FN key
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 16:53:18 »
Some artisan are available from people like KWK and BRO for FN Topre, very hard to get though.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 17:16:47 »
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=60081.0

Or try to find someone selling individual RealForce keys - they will fit the Fn position on HHKB.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 17:18:36 »
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline btctopre

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 17:50:24 »
ps: checked Elitekeyboards. They have ESC and Control keys, WASD, some Enters, but no FN keys.
You could buy an arrow set and use any of the bottom three keys as a replacement FN key I believe (no HHKB to test).
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 February 2015, 17:54:34 by btctopre »

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 17:51:25 »
HKP also had a Teal FN key that looks pretty great  :thumb:

There's also the CtrlAlt Outbreak cap that was available in the Topre FN profile (I don't think it's available anymore though)
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 February 2015, 17:53:47 by Sygaldry »
null

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 17:58:20 »
Setting up (and getting used to) a HHKB -- I think having the FN key in red or maybe another color would help me spot it more quickly and also look cool.  Anybody have a tip on where I'd find such a thing? Thanks!

How about a bubbled OS keys from a Realforce? That would feel different than a normal key and then you wouldn't have to look down.

I find that since the function key is the far right key when I move my hand over to use the arrows/ six pack I can feel the edge of the board and don't have to look (you'll find if your pinkie is on the fn your index and pointer rest on the arrows)

Offline yomammary

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 07:19:51 »
I got a teal FN key from the classifieds not too long ago.
So they exist, maybe not in the color you want.

Or if you find one, share it with us ;)
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 11:56:24 »
Thanks everyone! I'll keep haunting the classifieds and may see if I can get a Realforce key to fit. I will also let people know if I find anything awesome!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 21:09:34 »
Thanks everyone! I'll keep haunting the classifieds and may see if I can get a Realforce key to fit. I will also let people know if I find anything awesome!

And post pictures! :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ