Poll

What colors should be an option for this buy?

Black
135 (19.6%)
Grey
47 (6.8%)
Purple
62 (9%)
Green
8 (1.2%)
Dark Grey
123 (17.9%)
Blue
19 (2.8%)
Blue Grey
86 (12.5%)
Silver
86 (12.5%)
Olive
16 (2.3%)
White
71 (10.3%)
Red
35 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 401

Author Topic: [IC] CNC Anodized Aluminum case for CM Novatouch, Rapid-i, and Masterkeys TKL!  (Read 186638 times)

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
Re: [IC] CNC Anodized Aluminum case for CM Novatouch and Rapid-i!
« Reply #150 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 17:40:15 »
[...]If the price would be below 150 dollars[...]
It's no use to compare this case to the prices one would pay for something like an aluminum Poker case.

This is a two-part case. The nature of CNC means that the more pieces/edges a product has, the more expensive it gets. It's essentially two Poker cases on top of eachother as far as the machine shop is concerned.
It's also similar to a Korean Custom, so expect similar prices. It's not unheard of to have a case like that which is $250-300 on its own.
For a perfect example take a look at Orion V2 ($151 for the top, $137 for the bottom), Orion V1 ($400 for the set), the Weaven 60% ($230 at the lowest tier) or TGR Jane ($420 for case, plate, pcb).
Hell, even a relatively "simple" lasercut layered case is more than $150.
Monarch ($250 for the kit).

Is it a lot of money? Sure.

But is it too expensive for what you get? No.

Just because I want a <Insert high-end sports car> but cannot afford it doesn't mean it is too expensive. It just means I shouldn't be getting in debt trying to buy one.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 March 2016, 17:48:17 by JaccoW »
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 22:51:18 »
OK, so the keyboards that fit in this are the Novatouch and Rapid-i. I ordered and had a closer look at the innards of a Masterkeys, and while it is very close, its PCB sits under the bent metal struts of the plate, unlike the other two keyboards mentioned, so it's not quite the same design. I'm assuming the same will apply to the TKL version when it's released.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #152 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 23:54:43 »
OK, so the keyboards that fit in this are the Novatouch and Rapid-i. I ordered and had a closer look at the innards of a Masterkeys, and while it is very close, its PCB sits under the bent metal struts of the plate, unlike the other two keyboards mentioned, so it's not quite the same design. I'm assuming the same will apply to the TKL version when it's released.

I've since added a Novatouch to my list of boards that are a priority. I cannot wait to get this, as I suspect the Novatouch will be my regular work keyboard now, thanks to this.   :))

Offline r5d

• Reddit: /u/thisman
« Reply #153 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 06:18:39 »

I've since added a Novatouch to my list of boards that are a priority. I cannot wait to get this, as I suspect the Novatouch will be my regular work keyboard now, thanks to this.   :))

I recently sold a 55g Topre because I thought Topre wasn't for me at all, but after getting a secondhand Novatouch just for this case I am starting to love the feeling!! Which in turn makes me ever more excited about the upcoming case! The Novatouch is now my work keyboard as well.
I like keyboards

Offline Our_Benefactors

« Reply #154 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 23:14:51 »
Joined the forum to post here: YES! Please make this a reality!

Offline Phenix

« Reply #155 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 06:52:35 »
maybe I would take one, but only if around 150$.
Winter is coming.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #156 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 10:49:33 »
Read my previous post.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline avtar

« Reply #157 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 14:53:43 »

In that case you're probably better off getting a (somewhat) mass-produced case and modding it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/33hq1i/modification_novatouch_aluminum_case_mod/

Offline Butter

« Reply #158 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 18:21:55 »
Are we still on time for mid April drop? Just want to know so I can put the money aside. Thank you  :)

Offline codywanks

« Reply #159 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 01:07:07 »
Are we still on time for mid April drop? Just want to know so I can put the money aside. Thank you  :)

Likewise. The info would help a lot with my planning.

Offline WNovizar

« Reply #160 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 01:41:38 »

Likewise. The info would help a lot with my planning.

+1. Need to budget my keyboard spending this month.....luckily, there should be no more GMK drop this month....
I like mechanical keyboards

Offline norbauer

« Reply #161 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 11:13:53 »

Thanks for your support and encouragement! :)

I now think it's more likely to be closer to the end of April. I had the manufacturer re-make the first pre-production sample due to a problem in the CNC program negatively affecting the surface finish on the interior of the case--nothing major, but I want the pre-production sample (which we'll use for the MassDrop photos) to be as perfect and as close to the final product as possible. This has meant their having to order more stock and re-cut the work piece, which is in fact happening today. Then it gets sent off for anodizing, with a stated lead time of up to two weeks. I'll then get it off to MassDrop ASAP for listing.

So a slight delay but nothing serious. My goal is to favor taking time to work such issues out now before the actual orders are placed rather than having to worry about sorting out QC issues, etc., while scrambling to fulfill orders. Once the CNC program and post-process finishing steps are all worked out, it should just be a question of executing on those when the drop is complete. This will be far less stressful for me having these issues all worked out up front, even at the cost of a slight delay to when the drop begins. I hope everyone else agrees that it's the correct strategy. :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 April 2016, 11:26:17 by norbauer »

Offline r5d

• Reddit: /u/thisman
« Reply #162 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 16:15:08 »
I'll be there when it drops!  :D
I like keyboards

Offline Butter

« Reply #163 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 16:36:05 »

I now think it's more likely to be closer to the end of April. I had the manufacturer re-make the first pre-production sample due to a problem in the CNC program negatively affecting the surface finish on the interior of the case--nothing major, but I want the pre-production sample (which we'll use for the MassDrop photos) to be as perfect and as close to the final product as possible. This has meant their having to order more stock and re-cut the work piece, which is in fact happening today. Then it gets sent off for anodizing, with a stated lead time of up to two weeks. I'll then get it off to MassDrop ASAP for listing.

So a slight delay but nothing serious. My goal is to favor taking time to work such issues out now before the actual orders are placed rather than having to worry about sorting out QC issues, etc., while scrambling to fulfill orders. Once the CNC program and post-process finishing steps are all worked out, it should just be a question of executing on those when the drop is complete. This will be far less stressful for me having these issues all worked out up front, even at the cost of a slight delay to when the drop begins. I hope everyone else agrees that it's the correct strategy. :)

Got it thank for the update. I rather you get it right the first time then having many delay during the manufacturing process. I guess I'll be eating dust this month then  :D

Offline Mrs. Butter

« Reply #164 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 16:43:15 »
Same! Any final word on the colour(s)? Will get it regardless but the colour affects choices for a related purchase. Thx for keeping us all in the loop.
Silent RF 87u / CM Novatouch / Leopold FC660c

Offline Metaldrake

« Reply #165 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 05:55:21 »

Does that mean you'll be able to test out the MasterKeys Pro S to know for sure if it fits?
Realforce 86U

Offline Lipton

« Reply #166 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 13:52:11 »
I would totally be down for this!!!! :D I just got my Coolermaster Novatouch today and OMG, it is true what they say.... it's like typing on Butta hehehehhehe

I also have on order the Honeywell Space Cadet keycap set from DeskAuthority:

Would look amazing with an aluminum case :)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #167 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 19:50:46 »
Does that mean you'll be able to test out the MasterKeys Pro S to know for sure if it fits?

Based on my observations of the PCB on its full-size big brother, I believe that the Masterkeys will not fit this case. Though if this drop goes well, perhaps I'll design a case for those too eventually. :) It would only require a few minor modifications.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 April 2016, 17:57:45 by norbauer »

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #168 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 21:41:28 »
I just ordered a GM Novatouch TKL, and would most likely be down for this too! Years of collecting has spoiled me where I pretty much won't use a keyboard that doesn't weigh a ton. :)

Offline venyv

« Reply #169 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 13:55:31 »
I would be very interested in one of these cases!!  :thumb:

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #170 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 14:00:29 »
Will definitely buy a barebones Novatouch for this case.  :p

Offline Mrs. Butter

« Reply #171 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 18:05:16 »
Heads-up to everyone waiting on this buy and have a Novatouch: hyperspheres (silencing rings) are back up on eBay. Get 'm while they're still available.

Offline fublamchu

• ㅋㅋㅋ
« Reply #172 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 12:33:39 »
So once the most poll ends, how many color options would be chosen?
LZ-CE VBlacks
910-CE

Offline Phenix

« Reply #173 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 04:24:55 »
Just out of interested: Is price between 200-300$ final?

And also: Do other pcbs/keyboards like the Phantom or the CM Storm Quickfire Rapid (so the old version) fit into the case?

off-topic:
Is it possible to make a IBM SSK metal case?
Winter is coming.

Offline Metaldrake

« Reply #174 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 08:04:23 »
Price is said to be under $250, I think the final cost will depend on the number of orders.

Doesn't work with the QFR unfortunately, it has a different case design than the Novatouch / Rapid-i
Realforce 86U

Offline Phenix

« Reply #175 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 08:21:35 »
does it support phantom?
Winter is coming.

Offline carmenohio

« Reply #177 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 19:56:24 »

Based on my observations of the PCB on its full-size big brother, I believe that the Masterkeys will not fit this case. Though if this drop goes well, perhaps I'll design a case for those too eventually. :) It would only require a few minor modifications.

That's a bummer to hear your observations on the PCB.  I will be purchasing a Masterkeys Pro S on release, and was really hoping to hear that this case would also fit it.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #178 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 21:52:47 »
does it support phantom?

It only supports the Novatouch and Rapid-i.

Offline Metaldrake

« Reply #179 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 02:24:48 »
Doubt it'll support the Phantom, considering it's made to be similar to Costar OEM boards like Filco and the Quickfire Rapid. If you want an aluminium case for the Phantom the easiest one to get would probably be the TEX ones.
Realforce 86U

Offline Phenix

« Reply #180 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 07:02:17 »
was just hoping. Would be even nicer to have an really high-quality case for multiple keyboards
Winter is coming.

Offline cavilio

« Reply #181 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 10:33:22 »
I may be in for one of these too, depending on the final price !

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #182 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 11:13:01 »
I might be in if the price were sub $200, due to my own budget.
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline norbauer

« Reply #183 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 15:42:37 »
So I just found out that white won't be possible with anodizing. While it's technically possible to anodize aluminum to nearly white, it's very expensive (for arcane technical reasons). So we need to pick a second anodizing color.

I'm puzzled about what to do based on the two highest vote winners being "black" and "dark gray." Does this mean that people would be happy with a choice between those two colors? They seem almost the same to me. I'd thus be inclined to go with black and "blue gray," assuming that a dark gray voter would be fine with black. What do you guys think?

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #184 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 15:50:45 »
So I just found out that white won't be possible with anodizing. While it's technically possible to anodize aluminum to nearly white, it's very expensive (for arcane technical reasons). So we need to pick a second anodizing color.

I'm puzzled about what to do based on the two highest vote winners being "black" and "dark gray." Does this mean that people would be happy with a choice between those two colors? They seem almost the same to me. I'd thus be inclined to go with black and "blue gray," assuming that a dark gray voter would be fine with black. What do you guys think?

Let the white voters vote on something else

Offline Phenix

« Reply #185 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 15:58:02 »
Or use Blue grey and Purple. (de
Winter is coming.

Offline fax668

• Shaken, not stirred
« Reply #186 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 15:59:10 »
Any voter can remove their vote any time and vote again. I just did. My only problem is that there isn't really any other light neutral color option besides silver. I voted for grey now but one wonders how that's different from silver or dark grey.

Offline thel

« Reply #187 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 16:01:22 »
I was originally all aboard the black-hype-train, but afer seeing the tesla model 3 release, I kinda got to like that dark grey alot too. (i hope thats how the picture link works) that said, i don't know how many people would go with grey and if they wouldn't buy a black one. maybe it is worth thinking about only offering black if everyone is indifferent and the multiple order guys would buy multiple of one color.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #188 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 16:10:46 »
Would it be out of line to look into a powder coater for those interested in white?
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline norbauer

« Reply #189 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 16:33:44 »
I'm working on getting a set of samples from the anodizing house to better nail down what our actual options are. The pre-production sample is being done in black.

Would it be out of line to look into a powder coater for those interested in white?

Purely as a matter of fulfillment logistics for this drop, using two finishing types won't be possible. However, perhaps powder will be an option we can offer at some other point later if the first drop is reasonably successful.

Offline Mrs. Butter

« Reply #190 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 17:00:55 »
Dark grey ftw!

Offline Butter

« Reply #191 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 17:04:25 »
If it between black and blue grey. I'll go with blue grey.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline avtar

« Reply #192 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 21:15:58 »
[/anodized

I would prefer dark grey over black since the former would be more versatile with different keycap colours. The original Novatouch case is black so getting a different colour is more appealing to me. Being able to see pics of samples would be helpful.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #193 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 23:33:29 »
I agree with that... black is the same as the standard case, and is a bit common. Dark grey would look good with a lot of keycap sets. But either way, just excited to get some metal wrapped around this baby. :)

134556-0

Offline norbauer

« Reply #194 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 07:20:12 »
Good news, everyone! The production tooling is now complete and the pre-production sample is off at anodizing. There were a number of small delays in creating the tooling (they had to create a lot of special work-holding jigs to address vibration, which would have negatively affected the surface finish in the interior or the bottom of the case), so it looks like we're running a couple of weeks behind schedule now. We'll probably push into May a bit before the drop begins, but I'm nudging everything along as quickly as I can.

Pics and more machining videos soon. :)

Offline derzemel

« Reply #195 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 07:21:10 »
Uuuhuhuhu... Hype overload :-D

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline SpikeBolt

• √(4) != -2
« Reply #196 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 07:07:08 »
I'm considering joining this project depending on the price. When you receive the prototype would it be possible to make a sound test with the standard case and the prototype case?

The thing I hate about the most on the Novatouch is its loudness and in the prototype video it seemed to increase this loudness, though I can't be sure without an actual comparison.

Thanks a lot, great feedback so far!

Offline avtar

« Reply #197 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 08:52:40 »
The thing I hate about the most on the Novatouch is its loudness and in the prototype video it seemed to increase this loudness, though I can't be sure without an actual comparison.

If you want to reduce the amount of noise generated while using a Novatouch I would do the Hypershere rings mod before anything else. Someone on Reddit suggested that to me and it made a world of difference. Video for sound reference.

Offline SpikeBolt

• √(4) != -2
« Reply #198 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 08:53:44 »
I already have them installed but I appreciate the suggestion.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline norbauer

« Reply #199 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 11:29:15 »
I'm considering joining this project depending on the price. When you receive the prototype would it be possible to make a sound test with the standard case and the prototype case?

Sure, I'll be happy to shoot a typing video with the pre-prod sample quickly before sending it off to MassDrop for photos. My experience with the prototype in the video you saw was that it didn't really affect the sound much either way compared to the stock case. The sound on Topre boards mostly just comes from the bottom out of the keys as the dome collapses, which is all on the front side of the PCB and largely exposed to the surface no matter what the case. If it sounded louder than the normal case, it was probably just because I amplified the audio a bit in Premiere to make the sounds audible at all.

Personally, I actually kind of like the "thocky" sounds of the Novatouch and all Topre keyboards. It is much lower pitch and thus less shrill to me compared to un-dampened MX Reds (my second favorite switch).