Poll

What colors should be an option for this buy?

Black
135 (19.6%)
Grey
47 (6.8%)
Purple
62 (9%)
Green
8 (1.2%)
Dark Grey
123 (17.9%)
Blue
19 (2.8%)
Blue Grey
86 (12.5%)
Silver
86 (12.5%)
Olive
16 (2.3%)
White
71 (10.3%)
Red
35 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 401

Author Topic: [IC] CNC Anodized Aluminum case for CM Novatouch, Rapid-i, and Masterkeys TKL!  (Read 186639 times)

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
Re: [IC] CNC Anodized Aluminum case for CM Novatouch and Rapid-i!
« Reply #300 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 07:37:07 »
I'd be in for the black option, price permitting.  My price range is sub 200.  With the Novatouch being the popular keyboard that it is, I'm sure interest wouldn't be an issue, especially if those at DT and Reddit get wind of it.
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline Mrs. Butter

« Reply #301 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 07:48:52 »
They're so nice, I want them both! The choice will be really hard.
Silent RF 87u / CM Novatouch / Leopold FC660c

Offline codywanks

« Reply #302 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 08:07:32 »
Barebones Novatouch just dropped on MD. A sign of things to come?

*edit: totally missed this post
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 June 2016, 04:47:49 by codywanks »

Offline feediko

« Reply #303 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 08:48:24 »
In for a white one. Don't know about the textured one, I also think it doesn't fit the design of the case...

« Reply #304 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 08:59:11 »
I'm in for a white one. Any way to get the texture of the black on a white or light grey?

Offline Butter

« Reply #305 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 09:12:31 »
In for the white one unless you have another color in glossy finish.

Offline exela

« Reply #306 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 10:01:16 »
Darn.  I was hoping for more of a flat charcoal grey option.  I'm not sure how well my keycaps are going to go with that kind of texture on the black.

Just curious, how many will need to go in - in order to get similar pricing for another color? (since its almost 100 more for a custom color)

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #307 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 10:20:55 »
Hey all. I can definitely do a charcoal grey option too for no additional cost since I know multiple people will be interested. Let me work on getting a swatch. I just can't do single one-off colors without a fee because both the machine shop and the powder place charge me a fair amount in setup and handling fees to deal with color changes.

Offline exela

« Reply #308 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 10:23:59 »
Hey all. I can definitely do a charcoal grey option too for no additional cost since I know multiple people will be interested. Let me work on getting a swatch. I just can't do single one-off colors without a fee because both the machine shop and the powder place charge me a fair amount in setup and handling fees to deal with color changes.

Yes!  You are magnificent. Can't thank you enough for all of this.  :D

Offline norbauer

« Reply #309 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 10:24:13 »
the Enigma black really has a textured feel? I cannot clearly see from the images. My grandparents had a Royal typewriter and that textured case one of the best things ever.

It definitely has a physical texture, but it's pretty smooth to the touch, just like the original Royal typewriter cases.

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #310 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 10:34:57 »
Anodized charcoal grey?  :cool: ;D
23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used

Offline ChemicalHalo

« Reply #311 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 10:43:02 »
I would be down for wrinkle coat. Charcoal gray, if wrinkle doesn't get enough. Looking forward to this.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #312 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 10:43:28 »
For those of you who wanted gray, can you give me an example of the shade you had in mind? I'm curious how dark to go.

Do you happen to know if there's a height difference between the stock case and yours? (the bottom row, measured from case bottom to tops of keycaps).

I can look up the exact numbers if you need them, but I believe it's maybe a tiny bit taller at the front and a bit shorter at the back compared to the stock case, which has a downward slope back to front.
Mine only has a slope of you install the riser feet.

Offline Gajible

« Reply #313 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 10:44:38 »
I'd be in on white!

Disappointed there are no colourful options, but it is what it is

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #314 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 10:44:49 »
23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used

Offline Goon

« Reply #315 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 10:47:54 »
rip was hoping there would be an all black guess ill have to get the dark grey :(

Offline norbauer

« Reply #316 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 10:50:41 »
Anodized charcoal grey?  :cool: ;D

For various frustrating logistical reasons, anodizing didn't turn out to be possible on this run. I would have to ship the cases back and forth around the country to a vendor who could do the work reliably. Powder has some cool properties, though, and is not often seen in the keyboard world, so I'm fine with that option. I personally think the wrinkle finish is pretty cool and am probably going to use that on my own final board.

Offline Mrs. Butter

« Reply #317 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 11:10:21 »

Dark gray.
Silent RF 87u / CM Novatouch / Leopold FC660c

Offline fine_italian_leather

« Reply #318 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 11:14:18 »
For those of you who wanted gray, can you give me an example of the shade you had in mind? I'm curious how dark to go.

Something close to this color would be great.

Offline Razer1987

« Reply #319 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 11:20:55 »
Hi, in for one black +riser.

Thank you for your hard work, that looks amazing !

Offline mrkevint

• OK.
« Reply #320 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 12:42:02 »
I really like the examples of the dark gray cases that were posted! That would be my dream color for the Novatouch case.

Offline airs

« Reply #321 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 12:53:09 »
Show Image

Dark gray.

So much this. I would definitely be in for Dark Gray.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 June 2016, 17:59:14 by airs »
Octagon v2, LZ CLS

Offline RexS

• SILENCE THE TOPRE
« Reply #322 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 14:48:55 »
In for a white one. Been checking back on this thread periodically. Well done!

Offline KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
« Reply #323 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 15:11:22 »
In for at least 1 in space station white  :cool:
∴∵∴◇Time TKL--VE.A--F&T 1916--Cajal--Octagon v2◇∴∵∴

Offline BrettW

« Reply #324 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 15:50:41 »
I am in for 1 Dark Grey, or Black Enigma if the Grey does not work out.  Thank you for doing this!

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #325 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 16:00:22 »
That Space Station White is so sleek! I don't own a Novatouch but this makes me want to get one.

Offline itskuroi

« Reply #326 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 18:45:48 »
def. in for that space station white

Offline airs

« Reply #327 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 18:50:22 »
norbauer: can you please post some pictures of the Black Enigma with other keycaps?
Octagon v2, LZ CLS

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #328 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 19:28:45 »

Something close to this color would be great.
Show Image

Hmmm lol I'll end up with a duplicate board :p

but yeah dark gray like on OTD board is also good
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #329 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 21:29:27 »
anodized or no, i would still be interested. if anodizing is an option at some point, then ya, definitely dark gray

Offline norbauer

« Reply #330 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 21:57:38 »
Thanks guys! Looks we should be good to go with the group buy hitting around the MOQ, and gray will be no problem. What do you guys think of this color?

Tritan Grey

My only slight concern about dark gray is that dark colors tend more to show the slightly wavy texture that is inherent to all powder coating, and given that people are used to anodized finishes on keyboards I'm hesitant about people feeling like they somehow got an aberrant board when it shows up with a slight visible texture. Just like with automotive show finishes, dark colors tend to show surface texture more than light colors.

Here is a photo of the keyboard with plain (non-wrinkle) black powder coating on it.

You can see the slightly stone-like texture under light at some angles. This is more visible with glossier finishes. So far as I know, it's present on all kinds of powder coating and isn't a sign of any lack of skill on the part of the powder coater. In fact, I'm working with a pretty high-end outfit that primarily does fancy architectural finishes. It's just the nature of how powder coat works: they spray on a charged layer of pigment particles and bake it, causing the powder to melt and flow out, forming a hard shell around the metal part. The advantage is you end up with a thick protective overlayer (relative to anodizing anyway) but it does mean that it's a more irregular layer sitting on top of the metal (more like a really hard spray paint) rather than a dead flat layer like you get with ano. Another thing distinguishing powder is that it allows for a truly opaque coating layer with strong pigmentation. With ano, the metal underneath always colors the dye layer a bit such that everything looks sort of metallic.

norbauer: can you please post some pictures of the Black Enigma with other keycaps?

« Last Edit: Wed, 22 June 2016, 22:00:29 by norbauer »

Offline boo

« Reply #331 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 00:17:30 »
Hey everybody. Excellent news! The first samples I've been happy with have arrived and while I still want to tweak a small detail and am waiting for riser feet, I'm quite pleased. I opted for two finishes that are fairly rare in the CNC keyboard case world, both powder coat rather than the much more common anodizing. While powder coating can have a slightly wavy surface compared to anodizing when examined under bright light closeup, nothing can match it for its vintage industrial feel, which as you'll see, is something I've tried to embrace with the finish options. It creates a sort of hard shell around the aluminum, which I think is really cool.

These continue to be Made in the USA.

The first is the one I'm most excited about. It is inspired by a popular vintage electronics and mechanical device chassis finish known as "wrinkle coat." It can be seen, for example, on the German Engima machine and 1940s Royal typewriters.

I'm calling this option Enigma Black

Here it is on my case.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Second option is Space Station White

It has a nice glossy look and feel and a nice futuristic simplicity.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

A couple of important things!

I think I'm going to just sell these directly as a GeekHack group buy rather than going with MassDrop. I have nothing against MassDrop, but they were in a hurry—understandably given the delays up to this point—and it's still going to take me a few weeks before I'm ready to start actually taking money/orders while I test out the riser feet and a few other tiny details. I can't stress this enough, but I'm just not willing to rush, both because this is a hobby for me and I don't need the stress but also because the fun for me is doing something unique and doing it really well, and that just takes as long as it takes. If the initial run goes well, I'll be happy to talk to MassDrop about doing a run for their community.

Also: even though it will mean a bit more work for me than going with MassDrop, it will also mean that I have a bit of extra funds (which would have gone to MassDrop profit margin) that will allow me to over-produce the cases by a certain quantity in case there are any imperfect ones so I can only ship the ones that look best—and so that there are few extras in case of something getting lost by mail or whatever. If they don't end up being needed, I'll sell them in the classifieds as "factory seconds" at a discount.

In case it isn't obvious, I worry about worst case scenarios a lot. ;)

Anyway, they'll be drop shipped right from the machine shop to you wherever you are using labels that I prepare. The cost will be the same as before: $199 + shipping, and I'll try to come up with something accommodating for international buyers. Optional screw-in riser feet are $16 per set.

And, if for some reason you have more money than you know what to do with, a custom color is also possible through the powder coating vendor for an additional set up charge of $100 (!), which I can work out on an individual basis if anybody wants to go that route. There are some really cool off-the-wall colors available.

MOQ at these prices is 20. Below that and I have to talk to the shop and see if we can work something out, and I suspect they'd want to raise the unit cost.

Make yourself counted!

Given the details above, please reconfirm your interest by saying how many and what color option you want. It seems from people's informal interest above that there will be enough to hit the MOQ, but I just want to confirm. I hope you guys are OK with the finishing options I was able to work out locally.

It has taken soooo long to get here, I know, but at least it looks like we're in the proverbial home stretch. :D
Hey love your pictures of the case! In for the white one. Got a quick question tho. Some of those holes for the screw seems to have very little wall thickness towards the outside edge. Have you seen that as a problem from durability perspective? I just worry that a slight hit would cause that wall thickness to cave. Seems super thin at 1-2mm max

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline norbauer

« Reply #332 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 00:32:20 »
Hey love your pictures of the case! In for the white one. Got a quick question tho. Some of those holes for the screw seems to have very little wall thickness towards the outside edge. Have you seen that as a problem from durability perspective? I just worry that a slight hit would cause that wall thickness to cave. Seems super thin at 1-2mm max

That is a legitimate concern. While I haven't experienced damage to a corner yet, there is indeed very little material there. The motivation for that was just to try to keep the case profile nice and slim. As you can see in this photo, I don't have much room to work with without increasing the overall profile of the case.

In particular around the bottom edge below the spacebar, I didn't want to have a really big bezel. The stock case has a pretty narrow wall there and I tried to carry that over into my design.

It's just a question of design trade-offs, I guess. I realize this is kind of lame, but my advice would be: just try not to drop it on the floor and have it land on the corner. ;)

Offline Thumper_

• Spend all my money.
« Reply #333 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 02:21:59 »

I'm in for charcoal grey!

Offline Phenix

« Reply #334 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 03:08:15 »
I really like the Enigma Black variant with its finish!
May it be possible that you do a short video of them? (just to compare the colors / see some more details)
Winter is coming.

Offline fine_italian_leather

« Reply #335 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 03:21:11 »
The slight texturing is not something that bothers me. Sign me up for a dark grey version and maybe a white one also.

Offline repuls0r

« Reply #336 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 03:49:12 »
Is is possible for a white with the same finish as the Enigma Black?
Matrix 8XV1.0  |  FMJ 80  |  SKOG  |  TGR Jane CE  |  Orion V2  |  Mech27  |  LZCP  |  TXCP  |  CPSQ  |  TX1800

Offline 3rdEden

« Reply #337 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 10:06:45 »
I would love to see white version of the case, I see that you've posted that it would be a glossy white. Are there plans for a matte white version?

Offline SKD

• * Vendor
« Reply #338 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 11:21:32 »
Holy crap  :eek:, just discovered this. The case looks amazing! I'd totally buy one if I could afford it, then it would go nicely with my Rapid-I that I'm converted from ISO to ANSI.

Offline bred

« Reply #339 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 06:57:54 »
Now I just need to figure out what would look best for my upcoming Nantucket Selectric keyset!

Offline guy12

« Reply #340 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 08:36:04 »
Is blue grey and some of the other colors in the poll out?

Offline FranksNewLiver

« Reply #341 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 15:56:49 »
I love that old school look of Enigma Black. Definitely in for one

Offline codywanks

« Reply #342 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 17:22:11 »

Waiting on this. I'd be in for 2x as per my earlier post if it turns out well. I've been staring at the Enigma Black pics for two days but simply can't bring myself to fall in love with it.  :(

Offline oatmicro

« Reply #343 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 03:15:41 »
I might pick 1 for white.

depend on shipping cost, poor asian man  :'(

Offline Phenix

« Reply #344 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 13:47:14 »
Are some custom TKL PCBs (Phantom..) compatbile with this case?
Winter is coming.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #345 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 15:15:47 »
I'm in for a white one with the current choices! Exciting.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #346 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 16:28:10 »
Are some custom TKL PCBs (Phantom..) compatbile with this case?

From what I can tell, only the Novatouch and Rapid-i are compatible, but that covers a wider array of typing experiences than most cases for sure. :)

Offline Phenix

« Reply #347 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 17:32:43 »
I am just in need for an programme controller for the Novatouch, IIRC qfr-i has already one
Winter is coming.

Offline SKD

• * Vendor
« Reply #348 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 17:53:04 »
I am just in need for an programme controller for the Novatouch, IIRC qfr-i has already one

A separate programmable controller for the qfr-i? I'm pretty sure the frosty flake controller is only for the standard qfr and not the i version.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #349 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 01:14:22 »
I didnt checked it as I only have an normal qfr and an novatouch
Winter is coming.