Poll

What colors should be an option for this buy?

Black
135 (19.6%)
Grey
47 (6.8%)
Purple
62 (9%)
Green
8 (1.2%)
Dark Grey
123 (17.9%)
Blue
19 (2.8%)
Blue Grey
86 (12.5%)
Silver
86 (12.5%)
Olive
16 (2.3%)
White
71 (10.3%)
Red
35 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 401

Author Topic: [IC] CNC Anodized Aluminum case for CM Novatouch, Rapid-i, and Masterkeys TKL!  (Read 186553 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Re: [IC] CNC Anodized Aluminum case for CM Novatouch and Rapid-i!
« Reply #400 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 12:12:51 »
Leopold 660 aluminum case is out now on Massdrop for $99.
Do you know why is it two time cheaper? I know that there is difference in size but this cannot be that much.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #401 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 12:37:53 »
Leopold 660 aluminum case is out now on Massdrop for $99.
Do you know why is it two time cheaper? I know that there is difference in size but this cannot be that much.

Mass-produced vs small scale one-off production run?

If the Leopold case is cast instead of machined, that would make a big difference in price (per-unit cost for casting is much cheaper once the tooling costs have been fully amortised.
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline dbucklin

« Reply #402 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 12:36:28 »
I have to bow out of this. I'm not really in love with the NovaTouch now that I've spent some time with it.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #403 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 13:38:44 »
I have to bow out of this. I'm not really in love with the NovaTouch now that I've spent some time with it.

Did you try to silence it using hypersphere orings? They silence the upstroke.

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #404 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 13:43:16 »

No worries at all. Everybody has his or her own taste and prefs in keyboards. I personally love my Novatouch, but I also know I have weird tastes in general. ;)

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #405 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 13:48:20 »
Been waiting since like page one man =(

Offline dbucklin

« Reply #406 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 17:14:44 »

Did you try to silence it using hypersphere orings? They silence the upstroke.

It's not that, it's the tactility. It's not enough and too much at the same time. I gave it a week and when I went back to browns it was like coming back home; it just felt right.

No worries at all. Everybody has his or her own taste and prefs in keyboards. I personally love my Novatouch, but I also know I have weird tastes in general. ;)

Haha, yeah. One of my favorite aphorisms is that there's no accounting for taste. Best of luck with this IC and eventual GB!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #407 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 01:11:41 »
Hey guys. The new samples arrived today and they look good. I particularly like the new gray color—thanks for suggesting this, guys!

I'll post proper photos tomorrow when I have sunlight and will detail the next steps. :)

Offline nateth

« Reply #408 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 01:13:18 »
All hail norbauer!!! Great protector of the Novatouch!

I can't wait to see the pictures!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #409 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 01:17:43 »
All hail norbauer!!! Great protector of the Novatouch!

I can't wait to see the pictures!

haha. thanks!

The pics won't be as well shot as the ones before, as I'm currently living in temp housing until next month and won't have access to my studio photography set-up until then. But I'll come up with something. :)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #410 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 04:23:17 »
OK everybody, picture time!

These are the three colors/finishes

Side by side with feet installed

Riser foot

I do have some thoughts/concerns on the design and manufacturing and want to solicit some feedback from you guys on those details and options before we finalize things. Unfortunately, I'm exhausted tonight here at 2am California time (I bought a house today, so it's been a busy an exhausting day!), so I will have to write that all up tomorrow, but will definitely do so. In any case, though, I promised pictures today and didn't want to go to bed without showing these.

What do you guys think about the gray color? I personally like it a lot.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 September 2016, 05:24:02 by norbauer »

Offline mrkevint

• OK.
« Reply #411 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 04:39:10 »
Thanks for the pictures. The gray color is everything that I could have hoped for :). I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts and concerns with the project. It's exciting to see how close we are to doing the group buy.

BTW congratulations on your new home!

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #412 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 06:04:48 »
The grey is awesome. But now that the white is there, I'm really hesitating between both…
23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used

Offline nateth

« Reply #413 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 08:01:25 »
Thanks for the pictures. The gray color is everything that I could have hoped for :).

I second this.

And congrats on the new house!

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #414 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 10:57:23 »
For some reason I can't see the pictures :/
Leopold FC660C lubed, silenced with landing pads | Norbatouch lubed, silenced with hyperspheres | Poker II MX Blue with vortex aluminum case, vortex red/white doubeshot pbt caps and o-rings | CODE TKL MX Clear with Miami | Unicomp Buckling Spring | GMMK with rainbow vomit switches, mostly jailhouse blues and pandealios

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #415 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 11:01:49 »

Neither can I.

Offline derzemel

« Reply #416 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 11:03:51 »

Neither can I.

Here you go (luckily I wanted a new wallpaper so I saved them  ;D ):

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #417 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 11:06:40 »

Neither can I.

Here you go (luckily I wanted a new wallpaper so I saved them  ;D ):

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

You sir are the real MVP!
Leopold FC660C lubed, silenced with landing pads | Norbatouch lubed, silenced with hyperspheres | Poker II MX Blue with vortex aluminum case, vortex red/white doubeshot pbt caps and o-rings | CODE TKL MX Clear with Miami | Unicomp Buckling Spring | GMMK with rainbow vomit switches, mostly jailhouse blues and pandealios

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #418 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 12:21:42 »
I voted silver thinking that is was aluminium with a trasparent coat? Maybe this finish is too fragile.

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #419 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 12:37:56 »
Samples looking so damn good! When are you going to run the GB? Not too soon plz, wallet has to recover from all the recent keysets!

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #420 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 12:55:40 »
I'm a big fan of the Space White, but damn that grey is looking good.

Offline ChemicalHalo

« Reply #421 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 17:56:07 »
I love how the wrinkle-coat came out.

Offline phinix

« Reply #422 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 17:58:31 »
So we know it's 1.3kg of weight.

What was the height of it?

Also, price - $200 + shipping at 50 purchased cases.
If more we can see a price drop, is that right?
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 August 2016, 18:01:11 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline norbauer

« Reply #423 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 05:01:46 »
Hi all. As promised, here are some details/concerns. I am interested in your feedback. As usual, it's a question of balancing the desire to get the cases perfect and having to wait for another round of changes to the CNC program and ordering another round of samples (usually around two weeks). I am always inclined to favor getting things closer to how we want them, but I know this group buy has been a long time coming and at some point we just have to call it done and pull the trigger. I'm open to input on this matter. :)

Firstly, the the wrinkle coat, as one would imagine, adds a significantly larger amount of bulk to the surface. This means that for the wrinkle coat cases, the alignment pins have a much tighter tolerance and can even bulge the surface a bit when driven into place by the machine shop. I have asked them to investigate using narrower diameter pins on those cases, but it's possible the issue may not be resolved. I can ask them to make another case and am happy to pay for that. However, it will mean a further delay of a couple of weeks.

I am also concerned that the above described phenomenon may cause the bumpons not to seat fully into their pockets. Since I'm in the middle of a cross-country move I don't have access to my reference bumpons and have ordered replacements, which will arrive to me in the next couple of days. I'll test and report back.

Thirdly, I designed in recesses for the riser feet for bumpons. However, the shop forgot to create those pockets in the riser feet (you can see that on the left in the image above). I'm going to try the case with just the bumpons on the front with the riser feet installed, as it actually seems fine without the bumpons on the risers as it is now, but I feel like I'll want them to add these bumpon pockets back for the production run.

Lastly, on the back of the cases there are some subtle machining marks, which are really only visible if you hold the darker colored grey case at the right angle under bright light (they're not visible really with the brightness of white finish or the thickness of the wrinkle coat).

The machining marks are also left in place on the inside of the case. They're in a kind of cool spiral pattern and hidden anyway, so I figure this is cool with everyone. It saves money not to have to do a slow finishing pass here with the CNC machine.

These are not present, however, on the important show face of the cases: the front bezel around the keys and on the sides of the case, as you can see in the above image.

Please let me know what you guys think about these issues and we'll figure out how to proceed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 September 2016, 04:06:33 by norbauer »

Offline McPwned

« Reply #424 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 07:31:16 »
Firstly, the the wrinkle coat, as one would imagine, adds a significantly larger amount of bulk to the surface. This means that for the wrinkle coat cases, the alignment pins have a much tighter tolerance and can even bulge the surface a bit when driven into place by the machine shop. I have asked them to investigate using narrower diameter pins on those cases, but it's possible the issue may not be resolved. I can ask them to make another case and am happy to pay for that. However, it will mean a further delay of a couple of weeks.

I am also concerned that the above described phenomenon may cause the bumpons not to seat fully into their pockets. Since I'm in the middle of a cross-country move I don't have access to my reference bumpons and have ordered replacements, which will arrive to me in the next couple of days. I'll test and report back.

Are the bulges seen along all sides of the case?  If so, I can't say I'm crazy about that.  If it's just the back as pictured, I'd be okay with it.  As for the bumpons, is there not a smaller diameter we could pick if it becomes an issue?

Offline nateth

« Reply #425 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 09:28:45 »
I say this as someone who isn't getting the wrinkle coat:

I wouldn't be so hot with the bulge unless it's just on the back side.

Unless you can get smaller pins and smaller diameter bumpons (Should they not fit). I'd say do one more round of perfecting even though that means I have to wait another couple of weeks to get my grey or white case.

I think the machining marks look cool. It kinda speaks to the bespoke nature of the product.

Offline diqkiq

« Reply #426 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 09:53:42 »
Would masking off the mating surfaces prior to the coating going on eliminate the bulge?
Filco Majestouch TKL, Noppoo Choc Mini, Realforce 87 55g, Model M TKL, Ducky Shine 3 TKL, KC60, Planck.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #427 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 17:17:46 »
To be clear, I would consider the bulges a deal-breaker if they were anywhere but that back area. In the sample I got, it's only in that one spot on the back, and only as a result of the wrinkle finish bulk--it isn't present on the other colors. But it makes me worry about it not being on the back of all of the ones we get back in production but rather on one of the other alignment pins.

So, yeah, I'd say it's probably best to have them re-make a sample for me on the Enigma Black finish by masking off those holes with a cylinder of masking tape inserted inside. I think that should work and should address the issue. And I'll add "no friggin' bulges" to my QA checklist.

Any thoughts on the other issues?

Incidentally, I agree about the machining marks on the back being kind of cool, but I forgot to mention that if we wait a couple of weeks the shop will have a new larger and more rigid mill coming online, which should eliminate or reduce these patterns. If I'm going to have to wait to get another wrinkle finish sample made, we might as well also have them use the bigger mill to eliminate these patterns and get a pattern-free finish.

Sigh.

I guess this is a good thing, in a sense, of enthusiast group buys. It makes things possible that require more patience than most commercial operations would possibly be wiling to endure. But I suppose I'm starting to see why most case group buys aren't done using powder coating. It makes some cool things possible that haven't been done before, but it also introduces a whole new set of design concerns that have to be worked around. But I'll figure it out—if it kills me. ;) The shop I'm working with comes its share of quirks and annoyances, but at least they're flexible and committed to working through this stuff with me. I have to say, if I were working with a shop in China (due mostly to my inadequacies as a speaker of Mandarin), all this back-and-forth would be impossible.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 August 2016, 17:30:52 by norbauer »

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #428 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 18:51:24 »
To be clear, I would consider the bulges a deal-breaker if they were anywhere but that back area. In the sample I got, it's only in that one spot on the back, and only as a result of the wrinkle finish bulk--it isn't present on the other colors. But it makes me worry about it not being on the back of all of the ones we get back in production but rather on one of the other alignment pins.

So, yeah, I'd say it's probably best to have them re-make a sample for me on the Enigma Black finish by masking off those holes with a cylinder of masking tape inserted inside. I think that should work and should address the issue. And I'll add "no friggin' bulges" to my QA checklist.

Any thoughts on the other issues?

Incidentally, I agree about the machining marks on the back being kind of cool, but I forgot to mention that if we wait a couple of weeks the shop will have a new larger and more rigid mill coming online, which should eliminate or reduce these patterns. If I'm going to have to wait to get another wrinkle finish sample made, we might as well also have them use the bigger mill to eliminate these patterns and get a pattern-free finish.

Sigh.

I guess this is a good thing, in a sense, of enthusiast group buys. It makes things possible that require more patience than most commercial operations would possibly be wiling to endure. But I suppose I'm starting to see why most case group buys aren't done using powder coating. It makes some cool things possible that haven't been done before, but it also introduces a whole new set of design concerns that have to be worked around. But I'll figure it out—if it kills me. ;) The shop I'm working with comes its share of quirks and annoyances, but at least they're flexible and committed to working through this stuff with me. I have to say, if I were working with a shop in China (due mostly to my inadequacies as a speaker of Mandarin), all this back-and-forth would be impossible.

norbauer, your photo links doesn't work for me, I saw the photos on my phone earlier, and wanted to go back for a closer look, but the photos are gone it seems.

I agree about the machining marks, they are a cool feature but it's not worth worrying about, they will never be seen. As I am not really sold on the wrinkle finish, I don't really have an opinion on that, but I would definitely appreciate having bumpons, as they help with getting the case to stay put, and also avoid scratching up the pretty surface.

Not too bothered about wating a bit more, just take the time and get it as close to perfection as you see fit  :thumb:

Offline norbauer

« Reply #429 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 19:07:17 »
That's weird. I'm on my phone now and also not seeing them. I'll upload them somewhere else when I get home. OneDrive isn't great when it comes to sharing images directly.

Offline McPwned

« Reply #430 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 19:43:18 »
That's weird. I'm on my phone now and also not seeing them. I'll upload them somewhere else when I get home. OneDrive isn't great when it comes to sharing images directly.
Weird indeed - I saw the images this morning, but they're missing now.

Here's a concern about the wrinkle finish that just came to mind: on the stock case, SA caps only JUST fit along the edge, notably on the escape key.  If you're saying that the wrinkle coat adds bulk, are tolerances between the edge of the case and the caps lower?  Have you tried SA caps to make sure they fit without any rubbing?  Thanks.

Offline r5d

• Reddit: /u/thisman
« Reply #431 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 04:57:57 »

As someone who is definitely looking to get one or two of these cases, I appreciate your perfectionism a great deal. These things will be indestructible and touched and loved by enthusiasts as yourself. When it finally will stand on my desk, every time I will touch it I will think of you and this thread and your incredible attention to detail. I personally wouldn't be able to spend so much love, time and money on a project like this, and I think everyone who is looking to get one doesn't mind a few more weeks of waiting time. More time to save up and get that 2nd (or 3rd) one when it drops.  :D

The powder coating especially is what makes this project stand out for me.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 September 2016, 03:32:38 by r5d »
I like keyboards

Offline phinix

« Reply #432 on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 08:49:35 »
Masking out holes and pins would help. I do a lot of powder coating and even a single layer of satin finish can add too much when it comes to small screw holes, threaded holes etc.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #433 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 00:56:08 »
Firstly, thank you r5d for your extremely kind words of encouragement. You have inspired me to endure some more delay while we sort out these final small tweaks.

Masking out holes and pins would help. I do a lot of powder coating and even a single layer of satin finish can add too much when it comes to small screw holes, threaded holes etc.

Yeah, I'm used to anodizing and the layer thickness with powder is much greater. I really like the finish, especially since so much other stuff is ano these days, but it does require some specific design accommodations.

I got the bumpons in from Mouser and indeed, the pockets for them are just a bit too small with the current powder coating thickness. I'll just redesign those a tiny bit to account for the powder thickness (especially on the wrinkle coat). The machine shop is currently running some test pieces for me to verify the new pocket sizing (without having to cut a whole new case).

And I'm just going to instruct the powder coating house to mask off those hole interiors from now on so the alignment pins aren't an issue. Another solution would be to thicken the bezel of the case, but as with the prior remark made by another member about the corners, I really want to try to avoid making the case much bigger than it needs to be—for purely visual aesthetic reasons. I think people appreciate a nice slim-profile case.

Also, I think I mentioned this previously, but the machine shop has a HUGE new Haas mill arriving in <3 weeks. The greater rigidity of that machine, along with a better facing mill he's ordering for us, should mean a perfectly smooth finish on the back of the cases. And he has promised me that we can be the first job that runs on that machine. :)

Offline nateth

« Reply #434 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 01:07:42 »
Take. My. Money.

Awesome job, this is one of the most thought-out and well designed cases I've ever witnessed.

Offline fine_italian_leather

« Reply #435 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 02:55:12 »
I still can't see any of the recent images uploaded by OP.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #436 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 04:07:42 »

Sorry about that. I updated the post above with links to files on DropBox rather than OneDrive. Did that work? It's hard for me to test because I'm actually seeing the images now; I can't figure out why the OneDrive links work in some browsers and not others.

« Reply #437 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 05:15:21 »

Sorry about that. I updated the post above with links to files on DropBox rather than OneDrive. Did that work? It's hard for me to test because I'm actually seeing the images now; I can't figure out why the OneDrive links work in some browsers and not others.

Images in reply #410 are still broken but the ones in #423 work now.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #438 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 05:24:36 »
Oops. I just updated those with Dropbox links as well. Everything should be working now. :)

« Reply #439 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 06:06:21 »
Oops. I just updated those with Dropbox links as well. Everything should be working now. :)

Yup. These look great. I know you are busy and want to do a few more changes, but do you have any idea when we can expect the group buy to start? October?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #440 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 07:17:23 »

Yup. These look great. I know you are busy and want to do a few more changes, but do you have any idea when we can expect the group buy to start? October?

Well, I'm actually sort of open to input on that. I want to do one more round of samples using the final production machine, tooling, CNC program, finishing process, etc.—just to make sure everything is perfect. Material has already been ordered and the ball is already rolling on that, but I don't technically have to wait for those to be finished to start the group buy. Assuming that we leave the ordering period open for a couple of weeks, I could theoretically start the group buy in 2 weeks or so while the final round of samples is being completed. I would just wait to send invoices and collect money until I'd actually gotten and shown pics of the final samples. Does this sound like a good approach? I've always done prior group buys either via Signature Plastics or MassDrop, never right here on GeekHack, so I'm open to suggestions on what seems to work best.

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #441 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 07:24:18 »

Well, I'm actually sort of open to input on that. I want to do one more round of samples using the final production machine, tooling, CNC program, finishing process, etc.—just to make sure everything is perfect. Material has already been ordered and the ball is already rolling on that, but I don't technically have to wait for those to be finished to start the group buy. Assuming that we leave the ordering period open for a couple of weeks, I could theoretically start the group buy in 2 weeks or so while the final round of samples is being completed. I would just wait to send invoices and collect money until I'd actually gotten and shown pics of the final samples. Does this sound like a good approach? I've always done prior group buys either via Signature Plastics or MassDrop, never right here on GeekHack, so I'm open to suggestions on what seems to work best.

Start of October would actually be better for me, but I know it's entirely your discretion!

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #442 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 15:37:51 »
Too bad that the novatouch isn't available anymore.

End of production :-(

Offline norbauer

« Reply #443 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 16:09:55 »

Oh man. Seriously? That sucks. I think I'm going to have to order a pile of them to stock up.

This case also fits the Rapid-i, for whatever it's worth.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #444 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 16:10:20 »

Oh dear, I didn't think about that. I mean it's available, but production has stopped.

RIP anyone that was going to buy one for this.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #445 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 16:15:15 »

Oh man. Seriously? That sucks. I think I'm going to have to order a pile of them to stock up.

This case also fits the Rapid-i, for whatever it's worth.

I really love that keyboard. I'm doing the same.

Offline fax668

• Shaken, not stirred
« Reply #446 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 16:50:26 »
They are still selling some refurbished ones at least in the Cooler Master EU store. Now is actually a good time to buy one at a discount.

Offline r5d

• Reddit: /u/thisman
« Reply #447 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 03:06:11 »
They are still selling some refurbished ones at least in the Cooler Master EU store. Now is actually a good time to buy one at a discount.

Got my 2nd one, ISO this time! Thanks for the tip! Need to get 2 cases now for sure!
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 September 2016, 03:08:47 by r5d »
I like keyboards

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #448 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 03:16:49 »

Could you link me? I had a look at their store page but it's showing as sold out

Offline norbauer

« Reply #449 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 03:36:06 »
Barebones models appear still to be for sale in the USA store.

http://www.cmstore-usa.com/novatouch-tkl-barebone-genuine-topre-mx-compatible-stems/