Poll

What colors should be an option for this buy?

Black
135 (19.6%)
Grey
47 (6.8%)
Purple
62 (9%)
Green
8 (1.2%)
Dark Grey
123 (17.9%)
Blue
19 (2.8%)
Blue Grey
86 (12.5%)
Silver
86 (12.5%)
Olive
16 (2.3%)
White
71 (10.3%)
Red
35 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 401

Author Topic: [IC] CNC Anodized Aluminum case for CM Novatouch, Rapid-i, and Masterkeys TKL!  (Read 186135 times)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Thanks for the pics!  Good to see the white version at last.  Does it have a matte or a glossy finish?  I can only see it from my phone (silly proxy at work won't let me access dropbox)

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
Thanks for the pics!  Good to see the white version at last.  Does it have a matte or a glossy finish?  I can only see it from my phone (silly proxy at work won't let me access dropbox)

Powder coat will come out with a matte finish.

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site

As I recently learned, powder coat actually can be done in a wide spectrum of gloss ratings, but I've asked for this in a relatively matte finish. It doesn't matter much on white, but on darker colors a high-gloss finish will show any imperfections in the powder coat layer much more readily.

Offline eksuen

As I recently learned, powder coat actually can be done in a wide spectrum of gloss ratings, but I've asked for this in a relatively matte finish. It doesn't matter much on white, but on darker colors a high-gloss finish will show any imperfections in the powder coat layer much more readily.

Ah, good to know.

Offline arhetue

Wow, nice pics. That did not make my decision easier between powder coat black and warm grey...

Am I correct that those are the two colors in pic 12?

Offline norbauer

Wow, nice pics. That did not make my decision easier between powder coat black and warm grey...

Am I correct that those are the two colors in pic 12?

The two colors there are black anodized and warm gray black.

Offline arhetue

Argh. They both look awesome! It looks like a may have to get both and see them in person before a final decision is made.

Offline arhetue

Will the coating be offered on the warm grey?

Offline norbauer

Anodizing will be warm gray and black. The only powder finish offered is white, because white isn't possible with anodizing. There may be a special run of wrinkle coat black at a later point, but I'm unfortunately just having to put that to one side for now so we can move forward with the rest.

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.

Anodizing will be warm gray and black. The only powder finish offered is white, because white isn't possible with anodizing. There may be a special run of wrinkle coat black at a later point, but I'm unfortunately just having to put that to one side for now so we can move forward with the rest.

If you, potentially, do a second run in alt colors, is any consideration given to a darker grey/gunmetal color? or would the textured black be a one off?

Offline codywanks

Re: [IC] CNC Anodized Aluminum case for CM Novatouch, Rapid-i, and Masterkeys TKL!
« Reply #660 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 13:23:55 »

Here's my typing sound test using the CNC case. Sorry for the grainy video quality.

The Novatouch has been silenced with Hypersphere rings. Keycaps are Originative Carbon Black ABS.

Offline eksuen

Re: [IC] CNC Anodized Aluminum case for CM Novatouch, Rapid-i, and Masterkeys TKL!
« Reply #661 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 13:32:52 »

Here's my typing sound test using the CNC case. Sorry for the grainy video quality.

The Novatouch has been silenced with Hypersphere rings. Keycaps are Originative Carbon Black ABS.

Thanks for making the video!

Offline poolside

Re: [IC] CNC Anodized Aluminum case for CM Novatouch and Rapid-i! NEW POLL
« Reply #662 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 18:05:33 »
Thanks, guys. Replies are still coming in pretty actively (please do if you haven't already: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FGPR7T8), so I'll hold off another day or so before sharing the conclusions of the survey.

I might be in for a space white case. I skimmed quickly through the thread but could not find the diameter of the threaded holes of the screw-in feet. Will they be 4mm?

They are actually M5x0.5. Is 4mm some kind of standard threading for case feet? I could reduce the threading to 4mm threads pretty easily, though that seems like it would maybe make the threaded stems a little flimsy. But if that would make the case compatible with other feet available, it would probably be worth the change.

Thanks for that piece of info (and sorry for the late reply).

I don't know about any standard for case feet threading but I was thinking on using a pair of the conical aluminum feet that MD often has in keyboard drops (https://www.massdrop.com/buy/anodized-cnc-aluminum-cone-feet?mode=guest_open). These were available with the WhiteFox and Minivan lately and (seem to) have a lower profile than those you will be offering. They are M4 according to the specs, though.

Offline codywanks

« Reply #663 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 19:09:01 »
I might be in for a space white case. I skimmed quickly through the thread but could not find the diameter of the threaded holes of the screw-in feet. Will they be 4mm?

They are actually M5x0.5. Is 4mm some kind of standard threading for case feet? I could reduce the threading to 4mm threads pretty easily, though that seems like it would maybe make the threaded stems a little flimsy. But if that would make the case compatible with other feet available, it would probably be worth the change.

I don't know about any standard for case feet threading but I was thinking on using a pair of the conical aluminum feet that MD often has in keyboard drops (https://www.massdrop.com/buy/anodized-cnc-aluminum-cone-feet?mode=guest_open). These were available with the WhiteFox and Minivan lately and (seem to) have a lower profile than those you will be offering. They are M4 according to the specs, though.

I should be able to help a little here.

The feet Norbauer included with my prototype have built-in screws, whereas the WhiteFox feet feature removable screws. This configuration means that the WhiteFox feet may not be used with the case in its current iteration.

For what it's worth, both sets of screws appear to be of the same diameter/thickness.

« Last Edit: Tue, 01 November 2016, 19:36:17 by codywanks »

Offline arcsay

« Reply #664 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 22:06:31 »
Does anyone know if the Pexon New Style Mod Kit cable work for the Cooler Master Novatouch? If I were to get this case I would love to see if I could also get this cable

http://pexonpcs.co.uk/collections/usb-cables/products/new-style-mod-kit?variant=14073718086

Connector #1 Filco TKL

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #665 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 00:09:32 »
Does anyone know if the Pexon New Style Mod Kit cable work for the Cooler Master Novatouch? If I were to get this case I would love to see if I could also get this cable

http://pexonpcs.co.uk/collections/usb-cables/products/new-style-mod-kit?variant=14073718086

Connector #1 Filco TKL

Novatouch is micro usb detachable.  You would just choose the micro USB option, so no need to open up the case.  Although that would look a bit goofy since it exits flush with the back left and not underneath.

So I'm thinking you would want to try the Filco cable method. It looks like it would work with the NT, but you'd probably want to grab the longest one since the header is a bit further away from the exit point. You can see that close to the bottom of this page http://community.coolermaster.com/index.php/topic/13245-cooler-master-novatouch-tkl-review/   

Offline ErgoSloth

« Reply #666 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 15:04:15 »
I don't know if it has ever been mentioned in the thread but I might have just missed it: what are the dimensions of the case? Both inside and out, I'm particularly interested in the free space between the PCB and the bottom of the case  :)

Offline Panzerhawx

• Endgame is a lie. You just end up buying more.
    • cartel
« Reply #667 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 17:01:40 »
Definitely down.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #668 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 16:16:00 »
Just itching to see this in person!  Any ideas on project timeline like when the website will go up, how long the buy will last, when you would receive cases from manufacturer, etc...

I know it's a lot to ask, but I'm just looking at ballpark figures.  I think you said you were in the process of moving and I know that can be chaotic. 

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #669 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 16:44:20 »
Definitely hoping to see this take a little time and not be rushed. I would love to say that's because I want the best, most carefully planned and produced product you can make, but really I'm just broke and would love more time to save money and set it aside =D

Offline poolside

« Reply #670 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 19:02:21 »
More

I should be able to help a little here.

The feet Norbauer included with my prototype have built-in screws, whereas the WhiteFox feet feature removable screws. This configuration means that the WhiteFox feet may not be used with the case in its current iteration.

For what it's worth, both sets of screws appear to be of the same diameter/thickness.

Thanks for the video.  :thumb:

This made me realize that the WhiteFox feet have to be fastened from the inside of the case, whose holes are unthreaded with chamfers for the conical screw heads. As the diameters appear to match, I guess I will have to find longer WF screws and cut them off to make them threaded on both ends so they can be used with the NT alu case.

Offline poolside

« Reply #671 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 19:08:24 »
Some pics of a handsome assembled power coated white case are up in the Dropbox folder Norbauer linked a few posts ago.  :)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #672 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 11:09:22 »
Just tell me where to send my cash!  So excited about the white.  This will look amazing with the masterkeys pro s in it!!!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #673 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 14:47:17 »
Hi all. Quick update. The shopify store is all set up, but I'm just trying to sort out how to charge for shipping on international orders in a way that is fair to everyone. Once that is all set, I'll post a link to the shop here. :)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #674 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 14:55:18 »
Hi all. Quick update. The shopify store is all set up, but I'm just trying to sort out how to charge for shipping on international orders in a way that is fair to everyone. Once that is all set, I'll post a link to the shop here. :)

WOW!  Thanks for the update.  I'll keep hitting F5 until I leave work.  I think if I do it at a random speed it will sound like I'm busy typing, right?
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 November 2016, 15:00:43 by reececonrad »

Offline bubbedi

« Reply #675 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 15:00:16 »

WOW!  Thanks for the upadte.  I'll keep hitting F5 until I leave work.  I think if I do it at a random speed it will sound like I'm busy typing, right?
hmm....yea seems legit ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline bubbedi

« Reply #676 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 15:01:26 »
Oh and thanks for the update! can't freaking wait. Deciding is that hardest part atm. Will there be new photos also?

Offline arhetue

« Reply #677 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 15:42:49 »
The shopify store is all set up

My money is burning a hole in my pocket! :thumb:

Offline norbauer

« Reply #678 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 15:14:07 »
Group buy thread is up as of last night, just waiting for moderator approval. :)

Offline bubbedi

« Reply #679 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 16:05:25 »
Group buy thread is up as of last night, just waiting for moderator approval. :)
Yay!!!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #680 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 17:54:23 »
Will there be new photos also?

Forgot to answer this question, btw. (Sorry, sometimes stuff gets buried in the barrage of posts and it's hard to address everything.) I have indeed added some new photos to the product listing. Once you've seen them, if you need to see any other details in particular, just let me know and I'll try to come up with something. It's just a bit tricky for me with the current height of the table in my photo set up to get a straight-downward image on the board, so most of them tend to be from a side angle if it is of the entire board rather than a part of it.

Offline bubbedi

« Reply #681 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 18:09:40 »
Will there be new photos also?

Forgot to answer this question, btw. (Sorry, sometimes stuff gets buried in the barrage of posts and it's hard to address everything.) I have indeed added some new photos to the product listing. Once you've seen them, if you need to see any other details in particular, just let me know and I'll try to come up with something. It's just a bit tricky for me with the current height of the table in my photo set up to get a straight-downward image on the board, so most of them tend to be from a side angle if it is of the entire board rather than a part of it.
No sweat!
I see your point, but just to be clear I think your photos are very nice. At the moment its just so incredibly hard to decide what color/finish to go with. Can not wait too see the listing.

And great work norbauer, wow! I recall when you began this thing(i believe it started out in another thread quite a while ago) and now you are basically ready to satisfy me and a whole bunch of other people. You really did pull through and impressed me with this project - you have been so focused on details and ontop of that very creative along the way. It's been very cool and exciting to follow.
you da man basically

Offline ticktwo

• -kbdfan
« Reply #682 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 18:37:14 »
this looks beautiful for novatouch  :blank:
HHKB | Leopold FC750R | Mech27 (soon) | TX-75 (soon)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #683 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 01:01:08 »
Group buy thread is up.

Let's move the discussion over there. :)