Author Topic: [GB] CNC Alum. Cooler Master "Norbatouch" TKL cases r2.5, SHIPPED/MANUFACTURING  (Read 103950 times)

Offline ewwgin

Re: [GB] CNC Alum. Cooler Master "Norbatouch" TKL cases r2.5, ORDERING
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 11:06:48 »
I'd love to see an Astrophysical Purple render/mockup! Could anyone do one? ;D

I can give it a shot:  what keycaps would you like?
Oh wow, sweet! Hmmm...how about DSA HyperFuse / DSA Deep Space / GMK Laser? All of these keysets should match really well with the purple case. Maybe you could choose your favourite set out of the three. Thank you man, looking forward to your killer mockups!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 11:22:49 »
I blame you for making me want enigma gray as well now. :)

LOL

Not my cup of fine tea, but I'd imagine the Galaxy Console would look the bee's knees with the SA Commodore 64

I only have my youth to blame for me love of beige... first computer was in 1978, an Apple ][. Learned 6502 assesmbly.  Dad (who worked at HP for 25 years) got me an HP 150 in 1985. Beige. Stayed with that computer until 1988 when I got a Mac Plus. More beige!   Then an Apple FX in 1989.  Beige.

Finally graduated college, started work at Sun Microsystems on... grey workstations. However these days, they too are looking pretty beige  :p

Show Image

Oh man, me too! Early Apple products and then Star Trek: The Next Generation gave me a special affection for this this quirky (now nostalgic) design aesthetic. <3

Offline autobot

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 11:31:15 »
Reminds of my computer classes at my Catholic Elementary School, which had a bunch of donated Commodore 64 computers w/green only monitors, we'd learn to type on those massive boards, and then make vector drawings using math formulas (Logo?). Those actuation forces weren't nice to little hands!  :p :p :p

On the fun days, we get to play Oregon Trail and a robot math game on the Apple II's!

Mmmmm, beige!  :p

Offline millifoo

Re: [GB] CNC Alum. Cooler Master &quot;Norbatouch&quot; TKL cases r2.5, ORDERING
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 11:35:21 »

Oh wow, sweet! Hmmm...how about DSA HyperFuse

First up, Hype Fuse. Try and ignore the repeat mod keys ;)

Offline millifoo

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 11:47:23 »
Next: Deep Space. I'm not sure about this one...  Who knows how close the case purple and the keycaps purple would be in real life. Closer? Farther? Dunno. Either way, too much purple for me.  :p

Offline millifoo

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 11:55:59 »
And Third: GMK Lazer.  This one's clearly using MiTo's render - and I have no confidence in what the actual plastic caps will look like... I doubt they'd be this vibrant in real life... right?

« Last Edit: Sun, 03 September 2017, 12:09:56 by millifoo »

Offline millifoo

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 11:59:38 »
So, for me - between the three, Hyper Fuse is the winner. Just enough purple without going overboard.

Offline millifoo

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 12:02:55 »
Oh man, me too! Early Apple products and then Star Trek: The Next Generation gave me a special affection for this this quirky (now nostalgic) design aesthetic. <3

Oh... I totally forgot to mention one...   even before the Apple in '78... I had an HP 25 calculator (1975) -- bless those HP employee discounts. Totally classic color scheme:

Offline ewwgin

Re: [GB] CNC Alum. Cooler Master &quot;Norbatouch&quot; TKL cases r2.5, ORDERING
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 02:15:50 »
So, for me - between the three, Hyper Fuse is the winner. Just enough purple without going overboard.
Wow, lovely mockups right there, amazing work! Thank you so much!

I'll have to agree, HyperFuse looks the best. And it just so happens that I have DSA HyperFuse laying idle. I think I may have found a case/board for it now. Not sure how will the actual GMK Laser set turn out, but i'm also digging the Laser-Astropurple combination a lot. I think I made the right choice, I have options now hehe...

Offline poolside

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 17:19:52 »
Have the mating surfaces of R2 boards been coated? If so, will that apply to R2.5 cases too?

From the retro-green picture in the OP, it looks like powder-coated cases will have their interior surfaces covered. :thumb:
Will that apply to the mating surfaces too?

I'm actually still vacillating on that. This new shop I'm working with does amazing work, and they masked the samples they made for me, but only along the mating surfaces and (as you noticed), not the interior of the case. These didn't suffer any of the problems we saw on some of the edges last time because they did a more meticulous job of it, but honestly I think they can go ahead and powder coat even the mating surfaces since I adjusted the tolerances a bit to compensate. I'll do some tests while the cases are being manufactured (with a leftover case I have from r1) to figure out what the best way to get these coated is, and we can just go with whatever yields the best results. :)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 17:33:20 »
Have the mating surfaces of R2 boards been coated? If so, will that apply to R2.5 cases too?

From the retro-green picture in the OP, it looks like powder-coated cases will have their interior surfaces covered. :thumb:

I'm actually still vacillating on that. This new shop I'm working with does amazing work, and they masked the samples they made for me, but only along the mating surfaces and (as you noticed), not the interior of the case. These didn't suffer any of the problems we saw on some of the edges last time because they did a more meticulous job of it, but honestly I think they can go ahead and powder coat even the mating surfaces since I adjusted the tolerances a bit to compensate. I'll do some tests while the cases are being manufactured (with a leftover case I have from r1) to figure out what the best way to get these coated is, and we can just go with whatever yields the best results. :)

Yes, and yes (unlike r1, where we did masking). The case is now designed with tolerances to allow coating the mating surfaces, which simply looks nicer.

Offline avid

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 17:44:14 »
I actually think GMK laser would look better on a black case, since its so much purple.

Offline poolside

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 17:53:49 »

Yes, and yes (unlike r1, where we did masking). The case is now designed with tolerances to allow coating the mating surfaces, which simply looks nicer.

Thanks, this is great  :thumb:

Offline nineleveno

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 20:08:33 »
Made a mockup of what Laser might look like with Retro Refrigerator... I think the contrast works pretty well, especially if the alpha legends end up being pretty close in color. Retro Photo is from MythicalWagyu in the R2 thread, keyset/background from MiTo's renders.

Offline millifoo

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 12:39:47 »
@nineleveno, I wonder if your mockup is a bit too blue? It seems the photos I've seen show RetroRefrig being somwhere between what you show and a mint or Tiffany green.

Of course, it all depends on how your monitor is calibrated ;-).

Offline norbauer

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 13:20:44 »
@nineleveno, I wonder if your mockup is a bit too blue? It seems the photos I've seen show RetroRefrig being somwhere between what you show and a mint or Tiffany green.

Show Image

Incidentally, I also feel like the "Venice Beach" color might be a cool complement to Laser. I think I'm actually going to plan to put one of those together myself. Incidentally, I now have a sample of a case in that color and plan to take pics tonight.

Offline nineleveno

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 14:28:18 »

Definitely possible. I didn't do any color correction on the original photo, so it could be the lighting conditions or camera's color settings too -- that was just one of the few images of the case I could find that was top-down in favorable lighting conditions. I might try playing around with the colors later to get a closer match.

Offline energyd

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 14:48:05 »
Wondering what keycaps to go with Retro as well. What would you recommend?

Show Image

Offline millifoo

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 15:33:26 »
Wondering what keycaps to go with Retro as well. What would you recommend?

I did this a week ago when I was considering RetroR with Abyss:

But there's a real photo of Abyss on Retro floating around. I don't remember where I saw it, though.

I currently have Abyss on a black case, and can confirm that it's a lovely set in general -- I've also tried it on a silver aluminum case and looks just as good. It's all R3 which I find really nice.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 September 2017, 15:44:09 by millifoo »

Offline autobot

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 15:56:42 »

Show Image

Incidentally, I also feel like the "Venice Beach" color might be a cool complement to Laser. I think I'm actually going to plan to put one of those together myself. Incidentally, I now have a sample of a case in that color and plan to take pics tonight.

I think it would look pretty amazing with Laser too! I plan on pulling the trigger on a Venice Beach case as well :p

Here's me having some fun if I put a "Rad" die-cut decal on it, with the Hiragana Kit  :)

« Last Edit: Tue, 05 September 2017, 16:10:19 by autobot »

Offline autobot

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 15:59:57 »
norbauer, you could have soo much fun with the "Norbauer & Co" graphics on the inside of the case!  :thumb:

The Venice Beach reminds me of Steve Vai's (played in Frank Zappa's band, Whitesnake) Ibanez JEM guitar in Shocking Pink.

Imagine your logo in some insane color on the inside, like the neon green accents on the guitar below!  ;)

Edit: Thanks for reminding me. I placed an order for Venice Beach! So that's my 3rd case.  :thumb:

« Last Edit: Tue, 05 September 2017, 16:06:38 by autobot »

Offline bciamny

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 16:28:16 »

Show Image

any chance for a sample of the purple? i think i might need that in my life... :X

Offline Auk

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 16:38:29 »
any chance for a sample of the purple? i think i might need that in my life... :X

If you'll forgive the crude nature of my efforts, I did colorize PEXON's awesome Monte Carlo Red:

177544-0

and although a proper sample of pink is imminent:

177546-1

lastly a taste of gray:

177548-2

177550-3

Offline jnav

• Endgame is for quitters.
    • Macclack
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 19:11:26 »

Show Image

I think it would look pretty amazing with Laser too! I plan on pulling the trigger on a Venice Beach case as well :p
Show Image

Here's me having some fun if I put a "Rad" die-cut decal on it, with the Hiragana Kit  :)
Show Image

I'm so loving these mock ups!!  I know these are a lot of work but any chance you could do Godspeed XDA on the white case with the Solar Alphas? I was thinking they would be worthy of a Norbauer case.

Offline nineleveno

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 21:13:29 »

I might try playing around with the colors later to get a closer match.

I think I got the color pretty close:

I'm so loving these mock ups!!  I know these are a lot of work but any chance you could do Godspeed XDA on the white case with the Solar Alphas? I was thinking they would be worthy of a Norbauer case.

How's this? I suspect that the white would be a bit more vibrant in person, but this might give you the general idea:

Offline jnav

• Macclack
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 22:21:51 »

I might try playing around with the colors later to get a closer match.

I think I got the color pretty close:

Show Image

How's this? I suspect that the white would be a bit more vibrant in person, but this might give you the general idea:

Show Image

These are looking really badass  :p. I think the Godspeed Supernova alphas would actually work better now that I've seen the rendering. The white case has a NASA vibe to it.

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 23:22:20 »

I love the green. Very happy with both my cases so far!!

Offline madindehead

« Reply #78 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 02:42:48 »
I really can't decide on a colour for my R2.5 case!

Venice Beach might be the go to for Laser...or Retro Refrigerator. And Space Station white will look amazing with Godspeed XDA, especially as I have Supernova alphas too.

Offline nineleveno

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 07:34:43 »
These are looking really badass  :p. I think the Godspeed Supernova alphas would actually work better now that I've seen the rendering. The white case has a NASA vibe to it.

I really can't decide on a colour for my R2.5 case!

Venice Beach might be the go to for Laser...or Retro Refrigerator. And Space Station white will look amazing with Godspeed XDA, especially as I have Supernova alphas too.

Here are a few more quick mockups of Space Station White + XDA Godspeed:

I'm thinking Galaxy Console could also work well with XDA Godspeed.

Offline Evilocity

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 16:28:06 »
How heavy are these cases?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #81 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 17:17:50 »

Exceedingly so. With a Novatouch installed, it weighs 4.5 pounds.

Here is a quick photo of the Venice Beach color.

I also had a bit of fun pairing a Retro Refrigerator top with a Venice Beach bottom, see here on Instagram.

Offline jnav

• Macclack
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 17:53:26 »
That did it... I'm probably going to have to go for 2 of these things. Venice beach is amazing.

Offline autobot

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 19:28:00 »

Exceedingly so. With a Novatouch installed, it weighs 4.5 pounds.

Show Image

I also had a bit of fun pairing a Retro Refrigerator top with a Venice Beach bottom, see here on Instagram.

My body is ready...

Offline yqliang

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 20:51:26 »
Hi norbauer,

I want to get some custom cables for the case. Is is micro usb? and what is the size restriction on the connector? Thank you!
Nightfox Zealios 65g | Input Club K-Type Halo True | CM Masterkeys Pro S MX Brown x Norbauer Case | SA Carbon | SA Hyperfuse | XDA MiTo Godspeed | DSA K Bares Miami Dolch | ePBT WoB
Want: Satisfaction 75 | Space65 | GMK Dot

Offline bciamny

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 22:18:25 »
Hi norbauer,

I want to get some custom cables for the case. Is is micro usb? and what is the size restriction on the connector? Thank you!

you have to buy a keyboard that can have its case removed so that the internal can be transplated into the case. it depends on which case you decide to purchase. the first post lists the confirmed keyboards that this can be done with. :)

Offline madindehead

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 07 September 2017, 01:45:21 »
Wow. Venice Beach is incredible!

Offline autobot

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 07 September 2017, 10:58:46 »
Is is micro usb? and what is the size restriction on the connector? Thank you!

Hopefully this helps!

Micro USB. I took some rough measurements with calipers, here's what I measured:

Offline Auk

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 07 September 2017, 12:28:33 »

nice   :thumb:

will you also have photos of Enigma Gray and Astrophysical Purple?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #89 on: Thu, 07 September 2017, 14:52:35 »

nice   :thumb:

will you also have photos of Enigma Gray and Astrophysical Purple?

Those are special order colors, sadly, which wouldn't arrive in time before the end of the group buy, so we just have to go off the swatches.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 September 2017, 14:58:13 by norbauer »

Offline yqliang

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 07 September 2017, 16:57:54 »
Thank you!

Is is micro usb? and what is the size restriction on the connector? Thank you!

Hopefully this helps!

Micro USB. I took some rough measurements with calipers, here's what I measured:

Show Image

Nightfox Zealios 65g | Input Club K-Type Halo True | CM Masterkeys Pro S MX Brown x Norbauer Case | SA Carbon | SA Hyperfuse | XDA MiTo Godspeed | DSA K Bares Miami Dolch | ePBT WoB

Offline TheEerieCold

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 20:35:25 »
Took the plunge and ordered the Astrophysical Purple. Now.. to find out what kind of switches to swap in this Masterkeys board...
Matrix Abel+ Ver.Dark / Matrix 8XV2.0 (Red) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Blue) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Caustic Custom) / Matrix Noah / Matrix Abel X RX-178 Ver.CA / Matrix 8XV2.0 ADD (Silver) / Matrix Falcon (Nebula) / Matrix Vita (McFlurry) / Matrix ME SE (McFlurry)

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #92 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 23:57:47 »
Took the plunge and ordered the Astrophysical Purple. Now.. to find out what kind of switches to swap in this Masterkeys board...

Woot, me too! Couldn't resist... the purple, or the name. Venice Beach looks lovely, though, and I'm not usually a huge fan of pink.
@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb

Offline yqliang

« Reply #93 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 00:46:27 »
Can someone provide the exact dimension of the case please? I am getting some custom wrist rest made!

Offline ewwgin

« Reply #94 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 01:04:44 »

Woot, me too! Couldn't resist... the purple, or the name. Venice Beach looks lovely, though, and I'm not usually a huge fan of pink.
Same here! Was deciding between Astrophysical Purple and Venice Beach for an entire week. Finally decided on Astrophysical Purple. Will probably pair the case with either DSA HyperFuse or GMK Laser. I can't wait!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #95 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 11:03:03 »
Can someone provide the exact dimension of the case please? I am getting some custom wrist rest made!

Happily.

372.4mm wide
146.9mm deep
24.8mm tall/thick

Offline madindehead

« Reply #96 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 15:39:05 »
Space Station White with Godspeed looks awesome. But, I had to go for a Retro Refrigerator. White cases are cool, but easier to find than Retro Refrigerator for sure :D Think I'll be picking up a Miami Dusk set to go with the Retro.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 September 2017, 15:48:54 by madindehead »

Offline poolside

« Reply #97 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 16:03:07 »
The R2.5 order page on shop.norbauer.com says that the GB is "ending midnight 10 September". Is that midnight as in end of the day (09/10 23:59pm PST) or does that mean that there are only 10 more hours to go?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #98 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 16:12:58 »
Space Station White with Godspeed looks awesome. But, I had to go for a Retro Refrigerator. White cases are cool, but easier to find than Retro Refrigerator for sure :D Think I'll be picking up a Miami Dusk set to go with the Retro.

Oh, sorry for the ambiguity. You can think of it as ending early on Monday morning.

Offline poolside

« Reply #99 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 16:20:38 »

Oh, sorry for the ambiguity. You can think of it as ending early on Monday morning.

Ok, no rush then. Thanks  :thumb: