Author Topic: [GB]EXENT - 65% made by TARO (In production)  (Read 766562 times)

Offline monkeyplusplus

Re: [GB]EXENT - 65% made by TARO (Collecting Payments)
« Reply #650 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 17:25:12 »
Maybe a dumb question, I just can't remember if the deluxe version comes preassembled or not? I feel like I remember reading it was, but can't seem to find the proof. Thanks in advance.

It's not a dumb question - the diodes and smd components are preassembled. You have to solder in the switches and LEDs.

Oh thank you! It will be the first board I have to assemble myself. A bit nervous. A lot excited. I'm sure I can find some resources, but is there anywhere you could point me for first time doing so? Thanks in advance!
Wow, quite a board to start with!

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #651 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 17:30:30 »
Maybe a dumb question, I just can't remember if the deluxe version comes preassembled or not? I feel like I remember reading it was, but can't seem to find the proof. Thanks in advance.

It's not a dumb question - the diodes and smd components are preassembled. You have to solder in the switches and LEDs.

The LEDs aren't presoldered?

Offline zurikade

• Math Always Wins.
« Reply #652 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 17:32:00 »

Oh thank you! It will be the first board I have to assemble myself. A bit nervous. A lot excited. I'm sure I can find some resources, but is there anywhere you could point me for first time doing so? Thanks in advance!
Wow, quite a board to start with!

Haha I couldn't agree more. I've become pretty close with Rama since the Gb started. The M65 was the first board I saw that really brought me into this community and I missed it by about a week. I spent more than a month trying to decide on what board to dive in on. I couldn't have made a better choice. So eager to get this project going. My other choices were a Das ultimate, the POK3R rgb, or a ducky 5.  I also picked up a Glorious Modular for my wife which is fantastic. I'm a writer, and I realized the keyboard really should be the centerpiece of my world. So RAMA wins.

RAMA always wins.

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #653 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 18:10:01 »

RGB underglow should already be attached, but individual in-switch LEDs for obvious reasons do not come pre-assembled.

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #654 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 21:43:05 »

RGB underglow should already be attached, but individual in-switch LEDs for obvious reasons do not come pre-assembled.

Ya that's what I meant. I don't plan on putting LED switches in, but I wanted to make sure the underglow was pre-installed.

Offline rustywok

« Reply #655 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 22:17:16 »

I've been looking around for soldering tutorials and a few people have mentioned this guy. It's a 3 part you tube tutorial and the basic soldering techniques are really well explained. Not keyboard specific but still pretty valuable for people just starting out...of which I include myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Sb21qbpEQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYz5nIHH0iY#t=5.845611

EDIT: The first two tutorials are the ones to watch. The third one is for more advanced soldering.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 May 2017, 22:18:57 by rustywok »

Offline zurikade

• Math Always Wins.
« Reply #656 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 22:21:11 »

I've been looking around for soldering tutorials and a few people have mentioned this guy. It's a 3 part you tube tutorial and the basic soldering techniques are really well explained. Not keyboard specific but still pretty valuable for people just starting out...of which I include myself.

EDIT: The first two tutorials are the ones to watch. The third one is for more advanced soldering.

Ahh thanks man! I was watching the series I found on input club but I will watch this now. You're the best!

Offline sachin3767

« Reply #657 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 00:42:12 »

Ahh thanks man! I was watching the series I found on input club but I will watch this now. You're the best!

I agree, those videos helped me too. There is a few people that have done live keyboard soldering videos. Check out skiwithpete https://m.youtube.com/user/skiwithpete

Whitefox|Granite    Tex Yoda II     Exent | dev/tty      MX Master       Planck|Big Bang

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #658 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 13:09:56 »

You will do great!  My first was an ErgoDox (original) and the SMDs were difficult to learn on.  Remember, heat the element (post) and push solder in.  Don't heat solder and expect it to stick to a cold post.  Try to keep solder for each switch to a minimum.  Clean little cones of metal.  Just shoot for those.

Offline zurikade

• Math Always Wins.
« Reply #659 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 13:54:19 »

You will do great!  My first was an ErgoDox (original) and the SMDs were difficult to learn on.  Remember, heat the element (post) and push solder in.  Don't heat solder and expect it to stick to a cold post.  Try to keep solder for each switch to a minimum.  Clean little cones of metal.  Just shoot for those.
  OCD tendencies strong. I am super excited to start this. Going to pick up that Hakka 888 and make sure I get lots of use out of it. Love this community.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #660 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 12:57:08 »
Was there any word on adding the GMK keys if the set was expanded? I passed because of budget and stuff I felt the set was missing, and if I have the option to add it now in it's expanded state I'd like to do so.

I don't think we ever got an official response on this. With added keys I'd like the set.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #661 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 15:25:11 »
At first I hated it, but now I want one...

Offline Cerasis

« Reply #662 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 23:41:08 »
Any status updates on the GMK?

I too would like to know if the set will be expanded so i can think about making a different bottom row  :D
Bantam44 | M0116 | Miuni32 | EXENT | Un-novatouch'd Novatouch to be fixed

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #663 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 18:20:28 »

OCD tendencies strong. I am super excited to start this. Going to pick up that Hakka 888 and make sure I get lots of use out of it. Love this community.

It's great.  And it's so rare to meet a keyboarder in real life, so when we have meetups, it's a lot of fun!  hoping we get that expanded GMK set!

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #664 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 18:43:38 »
Was there any word on adding the GMK keys if the set was expanded? I passed because of budget and stuff I felt the set was missing, and if I have the option to add it now in it's expanded state I'd like to do so.

I don't think we ever got an official response on this. With added keys I'd like the set.

We wanted to add it, but there wasn't a lot of feedback on it. We ended up omitting it. The set is in track for August, 2017.

Offline RocketGruntJake

• Brb, gotta grow some flowers
« Reply #665 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 12:25:23 »
When is this scheduled to ship? Do we have to wait on the keyset?

Offline zurikade

• Math Always Wins.
« Reply #666 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 12:55:26 »
Keyboards are on track to ship late June

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #667 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 13:40:19 »

We wanted to add it, but there wasn't a lot of feedback on it. We ended up omitting it. The set is in track for August, 2017.

Offline juahenza

• DoSmallThingswithGreatLove
« Reply #668 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 22:37:59 »

Unfortunately for those who have opted for the premium kit, you will need to wait on the keyset.
456GT | TGR Jane CE | Dolphin v2 | Whale | 360c | LZ FE | LZ IRON | TX-CP | Varmilo VA87M | HHKB P2 | IBM SSK P.1397681| IBM Industrial SSK P.1395682 | VE.A | Realforce 87u | Datamancer Streamline TKL | Datamancer Mechinist TKL | TANK v1 | RAMA M-4 | Realforce 108UW-HIPRO

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #669 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 00:06:02 »

Unfortunately for those who have opted for the premium kit, you will need to wait on the keyset.

Thanks jauhenza! that's fine, was just curious  ;D

Offline Cerasis

« Reply #670 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 11:41:23 »

That's completely fine :)
Thanks for answering the concern! :D
Bantam44 | M0116 | Miuni32 | EXENT | Un-novatouch'd Novatouch to be fixed

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #671 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 16:30:34 »
so.. what? sorry, i have not been tracking this lately. the premium kit is going to ship with a GMK set that does not support all the layouts that the pcb supports?

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #672 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 16:35:22 »
so.. what? sorry, i have not been tracking this lately. the premium kit is going to ship with a GMK set that does not support all the layouts that the pcb supports?

The GMK set is going to ship with the set that was listed with the premium kit, http://i.imgur.com/YyiDVrM.png

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #673 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 17:16:43 »

The GMK set is going to ship with the set that was listed with the premium kit, http://i.imgur.com/YyiDVrM.png

yeah, that set will not cover all the layouts possible by the pcb. so - a person may end up with a kit and keyset that dont work together, depending on the layout they want to use :/

« Last Edit: Thu, 18 May 2017, 17:18:51 by roostrc0gburn »

Offline eddible

« Reply #674 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 00:59:19 »
While you are correct, I don't think the GMK set needs to necessarily cover all possible layouts. The kit is designed to cover the most popular layouts, people will need to use a different keyset to cover anything more unusual. I assume this is a cost thing, the premium bundle is great value considering it includes a GMK keyset.

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #675 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 16:10:51 »
While you are correct, I don't think the GMK set needs to necessarily cover all possible layouts. The kit is designed to cover the most popular layouts, people will need to use a different keyset to cover anything more unusual. I assume this is a cost thing, the premium bundle is great value considering it includes a GMK keyset.

The GMK set covers a single layout in ANSI and ISO.  So if you want the stock setup of the board, it works, otherwise, it doesn't.  I don't see it covering anything 'usual' let alone anything unusual.

Offline gnarlsagan

• Billions and billions... of keycaps.
« Reply #676 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 16:13:16 »

The GMK set covers a single layout in ANSI and ISO.  So if you want the stock setup of the board, it works, otherwise, it doesn't.  I don't see it covering anything 'usual' let alone anything unusual.

Those two layouts are pretty usual.

Offline eddible

« Reply #677 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 16:25:09 »

Those two layouts are pretty usual.
Exactly, what usual layout do you want this to cover? I see it's missing (please say if I'm wrong or missed anything):
* Split backspace (unusual layout)
* 3x 1u modifiers right of spacebar (shown in renders, posts here suggest PCB supports it)
* 2.75 right shift (unusual for a 65% layout as the 1.75 shift with arrow key is a big selling point of the layout. So it isn't going to cover a standard 60%, but that isn't the purpose of the kit.)

Considering the price of the keyset in the context of the premium kit, I'm struggling to understand the frustration. Every extra key adds cost, I think what's being provided is a great compromise between coverage and cost.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #678 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 16:45:10 »
split backspace and 3x1u modifiers are not any more unusual than the 65% layout itself. in fact, i think those keys are becoming more common for custom kits like this.

the underlying issue is that community input was not taken into consideration before ordering the caps. i would not be surprised to see an "add-on" kit to fix compatibility issues after exent gb is done  :rolleyes:

Offline eddible

« Reply #679 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 16:55:11 »
Maybe you're right. I suppose with the premium kit being only ~$80 more than the standard kit,  and that's for more than just the keyset, I can only assume it was very price sensitive.

Offline gnarlsagan

« Reply #680 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 17:10:37 »
Maybe you're right. I suppose with the premium kit being only ~$80 more than the standard kit,  and that's for more than just the keyset, I can only assume it was very price sensitive.

Yeah $80 for the caps plus extras is cheap af. Gotta be a pricing issue. That said, including a few extra blanks probably wouldn't break the bank and would allow for a little more variety.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #681 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 05:43:00 »
I wouldn't have minded seeing keys for a split backspace and a stepped capslock, other than that I'm fine with the set as is.

It would be cool to maybe see an add-on kit with some other options and maybe a few different colored accent keys, then again I already don't want to wait until August for this let alone the wait for more caps that I don't really need.  :))
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #682 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 13:23:21 »
I wouldn't have minded seeing keys for a split backspace and a stepped capslock, other than that I'm fine with the set as is.

It would be cool to maybe see an add-on kit with some other options and maybe a few different colored accent keys, then again I already don't want to wait until August for this let alone the wait for more caps that I don't really need.  :))

You know.  That's a good outlook.  I'm in the same place and have terminal coming for this board anyway.   :cool:

Offline jacky

« Reply #683 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 22:58:20 »
So nice :thumb:

Offline Koojahyung

• 안녕하세요.
« Reply #684 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 23:54:28 »
I wanna buy this keyboard...
it is so complicated...I send GB. How can I buy this keyboard???

« Reply #685 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 23:58:03 »
The group buy has been over for a while but there may be extras when all the shipping is done.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 May 2017, 16:39:39 by Carlos_the_turtle »

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #686 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 02:40:36 »

GB is over. You will need to wait until after order have shipped and see if extras are offered
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline canigetanipa

Re: [GB]EXENT - 65% made by TARO (In production)
« Reply #687 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 16:30:43 »
Does anyone know how I might be able to change an option on my GB order? I tried contacting Sam by email but didn't get a response, is there someone that might be able to pm? Thank you

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #688 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 18:40:29 »
Does anyone know how I might be able to change an option on my GB order? I tried contacting Sam by email but didn't get a response, is there someone that might be able to pm? Thank you

Try Pm'ing juahenza
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline Gdubb90

« Reply #689 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 18:49:23 »

Although I don't have it off the top of my head, email them (email is listed on PayPal). I had to change my delivery address and they were very fast in fixing that!
  ///    /// 

Offline canigetanipa

« Reply #690 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 19:00:03 »
Yeah, I emailed the pp email address several times without any response. Will try PMing. Thanks

Offline zurikade

• Math Always Wins.
« Reply #691 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 19:33:56 »
Yeah, I emailed the pp email address several times without any response. Will try PMing. Thanks
  it can take some time (sometimes even a couple weeks)  but I always get a response and they always solve my problem. Yuk Tsi has also been a big help. If you don't mind me asking what was the issue, maybe someone here can answer it for you.

Offline canigetanipa

« Reply #692 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 20:47:20 »
I just wanted to change my base colorway from Grey to Silver, thanks for the help.

Offline juahenza

• DoSmallThingswithGreatLove
« Reply #693 on: Sat, 27 May 2017, 12:56:37 »
I just wanted to change my base colorway from Grey to Silver, thanks for the help.
:thumb:
456GT | TGR Jane CE | Dolphin v2 | Whale | 360c | LZ FE | LZ IRON | TX-CP | Varmilo VA87M | HHKB P2 | IBM SSK P.1397681| IBM Industrial SSK P.1395682 | VE.A | Realforce 87u | Datamancer Streamline TKL | Datamancer Mechinist TKL | TANK v1 | RAMA M-4 | Realforce 108UW-HIPRO

Offline gnarlsagan

« Reply #694 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 12:24:25 »
Hello juahenza, I just followed up on a PM to you about taking over sushi's Exent order. Can you take a look? Thanks!

Offline merutz

• @merutz
« Reply #695 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 12:58:18 »
Any new ETA since we are almost entering week 14?  :)

QFR R-i/DSA Dolch   |   MX Master
     + yellow Esc

Offline zurikade

• Math Always Wins.
« Reply #696 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 15:34:17 »
Any new ETA since we are almost entering week 14?  :)
  after I added my second base I was told shipping is on track for late June.

Offline zurikade

• Math Always Wins.
« Reply #697 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 12:36:34 »
As we get closer, I become more unsure if I have all the information I need to make sure I can make this board as awesome as it deserves. Currently my order comes with the Gateron Blacks, but I've been more and more curious about Zealios switches. If I got the additional brass-plate, does that mean I would need plate-mounted switches? As I've stated in a previous comment, this will be my first true board, definitely first one I've had to build. Currently using a Glorious Modular, which is pretty great, but I haven't been able to justify the purchase of anything else until I get my hands on this (and return from vacation to California after next week.)  I've been doing a lot of research into many aspects and will be purchasing a Hakka to ensure soldering goes as smoothly as possible. I'm just wondering if there's anything else I should be considering as we approach the end of production.

Love you all, this community is the place to be. Only been here since February, but I will probably never leave. <3

Offline yuktsi

• * Maker
  • Colour my life with the chaos of trouble
« Reply #698 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 12:41:57 »
As we get closer, I become more unsure if I have all the information I need to make sure I can make this board as awesome as it deserves. Currently my order comes with the Gateron Blacks, but I've been more and more curious about Zealios switches. If I got the additional brass-plate, does that mean I would need plate-mounted switches? As I've stated in a previous comment, this will be my first true board, definitely first one I've had to build. Currently using a Glorious Modular, which is pretty great, but I haven't been able to justify the purchase of anything else until I get my hands on this (and return from vacation to California after next week.)  I've been doing a lot of research into many aspects and will be purchasing a Hakka to ensure soldering goes as smoothly as possible. I'm just wondering if there's anything else I should be considering as we approach the end of production.

Love you all, this community is the place to be. Only been here since February, but I will probably never leave. <3
Both pcb and plate mounted switches will work well on exent.
email: yuktsi@ttggrr.cc

My collection

More
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 | Whale Poly | 356cl | HBCP | Dolinger | Linger | FMJ80 | KFE

Offline zurikade

• Math Always Wins.
« Reply #699 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 12:49:37 »

Both pcb and plate mounted switches will work well on exent.

thank you dear Yuktsi <3