Author Topic: Typing Demo XL - Alps SKCM White (Focus FK-2001)  (Read 1428 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Typing Demo XL - Alps SKCM White (Focus FK-2001)
« on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 01:03:08 »
As requested, a typing demo of my Focus FK-2001 with Alps SKCM white switches. The ones in this 2001 are not in good condition; a prime candidate for a transplant with those NOS switches one day :) . Hope you enjoy the video! :)

Check my keyboard video reviews:

Re: Typing Demo XL - Alps SKCM White (Focus FK-2001)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 05:43:35 »
I have the exact same keyboard, a focus fk2001 terminal keyboard with pine white alps, which I'm not able to get working. I am using this adaptor: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003OSTBZA, which is daisy-chained to a MonoPrice PS/2 active adaptor which works well with my Dell AT101w. I have tried the dip switch in both positions (XT/AT, unsure as they are not labeled). The lock-lights would turn on, then off. The lock-lights flash whenever a key is depressed but no keyboard codes appear to be sent in EKSwitchHitter. How did you wire up your fk2001?

Would greatly appreciate it if I could get some advice on getting it working!

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 11:09:31 »
I have the exact same keyboard, a focus fk2001 terminal keyboard with pine white alps, which I'm not able to get working. I am using this adaptor: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003OSTBZA, which is daisy-chained to a MonoPrice PS/2 active adaptor which works well with my Dell AT101w. I have tried the dip switch in both positions (XT/AT, unsure as they are not labeled). The lock-lights would turn on, then off. The lock-lights flash whenever a key is depressed but no keyboard codes appear to be sent in EKSwitchHitter. How did you wire up your fk2001?

Would greatly appreciate it if I could get some advice on getting it working!
I use a simple Soarer's. If your converter is not at fault, the board may be bricked. Note that I don't know of a TERMINAL FK-2001 though; if it genuinely is a terminal model, it might speak a different protocol than AT/XT.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 12:20:07 »
I'm covetous of that board. Those dust covers should have been a required feature of all alps keyboards.

Did anyone, ever, make standard 5-pin din terminal keyboards to begin with? If they had, what are the odds that they used a proprietary protocol yet left the AT/XT switch intact? I'm thinking he may just be mistaken.

Personally, I just discovered that my recently acquired white/beige label Zenith Z-150 works perfectly, in Linux or Windows, on an HP 8300 SFF desktop and my old Windows XP Compaq. On every other system I tried, it had varying degrees of function, regardless of operating system. This is in spite of the fact that it doesn't work at all with Soarer's or Hasu's firmwares. I would take the board a part and check all of the traces and components for signs of damage, or shorts. If there's nothing, maybe you just need to try a few more adapters until you get lucky, or build/buy a proper Soarer's converter as it apparently works with these boards. Do you not own any desktop computers with ps/2 ports to try?
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 February 2020, 12:44:12 by Maledicted »