Author Topic: Not another mount plate thread... Wait um.. That's exactly what it is  (Read 1770 times)

Offline Cbus

^-^
Hi everybody! I'll try to make this quick. I'm new, first build. I've found everything except the mounting plate for a TKL.. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
(My friend is a programmer and I want to hook him up with a nice keyboard. He's stuck with a laptop a lot of the time if that makes a difference)

So far I've bookmarked a phantom pcb and aluminum case from mechanical keyboards.com
A Teensy
Switches, keycaps, diodes, and LEDs are easy enough to find but I have been unable to find a plate. I would prefer a custom plate but at this point would go with a resolder if I need to. Am I missing something?

Anyways thanks for your time ;-) I searched this for a little while before posting and didn't get far :-/

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
Re: Not another mount plate thread... Wait um.. That's exactly what it is
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 21:22:52 »
There was a GB for a uTKL plate a few months back. I'm sure if you put something out in the classifieds someone will have bought an extra. Sprit's GB is also going on right now, you can get an acrylic plate from there, though it might be a little while since he still hasn't shipped most orders from round 1
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Cbus

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 21:26:54 »
Thanks hood! I'll check it out :-)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 21:27:21 »
There was a GB for a uTKL plate a few months back. I'm sure if you put something out in the classifieds someone will have bought an extra. Sprit's GB is also going on right now, you can get an acrylic plate from there, though it might be a little while since he still hasn't shipped most orders from round 1

That is going to be a while before he can create a thread in the classifieds.  He will need 2 more months of membership and 24 more posts that count toward post count.  Off-topic, classifieds, and new members sections don't count toward post count.  You can post in the Classifieds section, just can't start a new thread there, yet.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 21:29:17 »

That is going to be a while before he can create a thread in the classifieds.  He will need 2 more months of membership and 24 more posts that count toward post count.  Off-topic, classifieds, and new members sections don't count toward post count.  You can post in the Classifieds section, just can't start a new thread there, yet.
Ah yeah, forgot about that. Sprit is definitely the best option then. Is he also doing metal plates too or just acrylic this run?
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 21:37:02 »
I don't know that the aluminum cases that mechanicalkeyboards carries will work with the Phantom. It was mentioned there might be clearance issues with the Teensy controller. I'm not positive that was ever confirmed to be true though, just thought it was worth mentioning.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 21:45:25 »
I don't know that the aluminum cases that mechanicalkeyboards carries will work with the Phantom. It was mentioned there might be clearance issues with the Teensy controller. I'm not positive that was ever confirmed to be true though, just thought it was worth mentioning.

if you keep the teensy VERY tight to the PCB it should work.  I believe that was the only possible issue.  I don't have one so I can't speak from experience.  But it is possible to solder a teensy to the PCB without using pins.  If you heat the pad and just keep feeding solder into the through hole it will solder to the through hole on the other side.  This I have seen with the JD40
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Cbus

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 22:12:11 »
Wow thanks for the heads up!
I was going to cut the pins on the teensy down to nubs and drop solder in the holes on the board. If there is any possibility the case won't fit it I have more looking around to do!
Omg thanks for saving me a headache! I saw some neat acrylics on old threads, I think I'll hop around for a bit and look for other optionst