Author Topic: I need some feedbacks for my new board  (Read 2818 times)

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
I need some feedbacks for my new board
« on: Sat, 24 July 2021, 04:21:50 »
Hello,
I have been a keyboard enthusiast for a while.
I want to run a small GB. I thought it would be a good start to run a small board, 40% layout.

survey form

272899-0

More pictures of the prototype: https://imgur.com/a/cVOz7Ni

About my board:
- The Layout
my layout is inspired from this design
272901-1
of course I have to adapt this to qwerty layout.

- Keycaps
I know many people would feel "forced" to use uniform keycap profile so in the future, if my board sales are sufficient, I do plan to run GB for a generic 40% keyset that include supports to my board.

- PCB
the board is powered with ATMega32u4, which is QMK/VIA compatible.
as you can see in the album, this board actually use 2 PCBs (controller-PCB and key-PCB), I know this might be unnecessarily complicated but I can't find other way to put all the components on small PCB (I can't hand-solder smaller components)

- Case
The case is CNC anodized Aluminum.
My current design is two-pieces top-mount case, I plan to change it to one-piece tray-mount case.
This would help keep the price low and it's also easier for me to manage the GB.
After I receive the prototype for new design, I will post a new, more detailed survey.

Please check this survey form and tell me your thoughts.
Thank you for reading.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 July 2021, 04:32:37 by Tom_Kazansky »

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
Re: I need some feedbacks for my new board
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 31 July 2021, 17:42:08 »
I like the idea, the layout seems qwerky to use but I am sure that it has some learning curve to it.

I would however refrain from using a 3U spacebar. Those are hard to come by, both in keysets and in stabilizers because the wires needed are not easily obtainable.
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 31 July 2021, 22:34:28 »
I like the idea, the layout seems qwerky to use but I am sure that it has some learning curve to it.

I would however refrain from using a 3U spacebar. Those are hard to come by, both in keysets and in stabilizers because the wires needed are not easily obtainable.

you're right, weird layout may turn buyers away, so after some feedbacks, I decided to change the layout:

273310-0
(I still want to keep the symmetrical look)

I think this will help with the sale.

I also change the case design to tray-mount, the case has typing-angle of 5°, also one-piece case would keep the price low.  :D

I will order new prototype soon.
after I receive the prototype and finish the new build, I will post a formal interest check.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 01 August 2021, 04:42:06 »

you're right, weird layout may turn buyers away, so after some feedbacks, I decided to change the layout:

(Attachment Link)
(I still want to keep the symmetrical look)

I think this will help with the sale.

I also change the case design to tray-mount, the case has typing-angle of 5°, also one-piece case would keep the price low.  :D

I will order new prototype soon.
after I receive the prototype and finish the new build, I will post a formal interest check.

Don't gauge ideas by how buyers will receive them. Imprint your persona into your projects, and people will resonate to that
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.