Author Topic: HyperX Alloy Origins Core Static Shock Issue  (Read 1315 times)

Offline vorpalix

HyperX Alloy Origins Core Static Shock Issue
« on: Mon, 06 September 2021, 09:10:05 »
Greetings,

I got the aforementioned keyboard some time ago, it has a fully metallic body and whenever I am charged with static and touch its body (and depending on the load) a few things will happen:

1) The RGB leds will turn off for a second
2) I will get zapped quite heavily
3) my monitor will also 'turn off' momentarily

Most of the time the lights of the keyboard will flicker, the monitor thing is a bit more rare but it still happens quite frequently. Now, I am aware of carpets, low humidity and other factors, also grounding. We got 35-45% humidity these days, the carpet is a material that shouldn't generate static, I am not wearing wool, always cotton and my chair is a Herman Miller Mirra (sitting on some kind of metallic mesh for a lack of a better description) now, I noticed that whenever I move on the chair suddenly and then proceed to touch the keyboard it will happen, most of the time. Changing my chair is obviously out of the question, humidity is also comfortable for me so..

.. tldr: Do all keyboards with metal bodies have this problem, anyone else has experienced it to this extent? I'm no electrician -- but I did read something about micro-degradation after constant static and this obviously passes through to the case and then the monitor.

I have a few other keyboards that are like half metal half hard plastic and I have never noticed this issue. I contacted HyperX and they said that it's probably defective and that I should replace it. (big NO where I live with the ****ty shops) I have seen quite a few people on reddit having this problem and I highly doubt that replacing it will do anything.