Author Topic: Help choosing first mechanical keyboard  (Read 975 times)

Offline BigD66

Help choosing first mechanical keyboard
« on: Sun, 12 September 2021, 16:35:14 »
Hey everyone, I just discovered this weird and wild world of mechanical keyboards, and I need a bit of advice on picking up my first. Here's what I'm looking at, and would love to know if anyone has any experience with any of them:

• Leopold FC900R Charcoal Blue or maybe the White Blue Star. That color is a solid maybe.
           The Leopolds seem to be very well regarded and I like that they include sound dampening felt/padding. But they're kinda friggin ugly.
  • Varmilo VA104C White Calculator LED That built in calculator seems pretty handy. Or the VA108M Moonlight white LED
            Varmilos also look to be well regarded, and I think they're better looking than the Leopold's but people seem to like the Leopolds better over all. Please feel free to tell me if you feel otherwise.
  • Mistel V-III Glaze Blue or Gloaming (basically orange and white).
            I think these are the best looking of all three, but there seems to be very limited information on these. A few reviews here and there seem positive overall, but they are limited.
I'm very open to suggestions, so if anyone wants to let me know about some other boards worth considering, here's what I'm looking for in a keyboard:

Preferably $150 USD or less.

I will mostly use it for writing reports for work and I need a ten keypad. I use excel a lot and do a lot of calculations for my job, so this is a must. Also needs the big zero, I often quickly enter a lot of numbers so I can't do one of the 1800 layouts.

I work from home, like many of us these days, so my work computer is also my gaming computer. But, I don't game as much I used to now that I have a newborn, so the gaming takes a back seat to my work needs.

Speaking of newborn, a quiet typing experience is also very important. My wife and I switch off baby duty during the day, and sometimes the baby sleeps in my office so a keyboard that's going to woke up a napping baby is a no go. I'm thinking silent reds, or browns, but I'm not sure how quiet browns are, but I have tried them out at Best Buy and I liked the feel of them but its hard to tell how quiet they really are in a big open space like that. I'm open to other suggestions.

RGBs not important, at least sometime of back light would be nice, but as you see from the 3 boards I'm considering it's not a necessity.

So to sum (also TL:DR):

Looking for thoughts on the three keyboards linked above.

Open to suggestions based on the following:
  • Budget: $150
  • Layout: Probably full, just needs a 10 key with a full sized zero
  • Switches: Something that wont wake a sleeping baby
  • Back light is nice, but not necessary.
  • I do some gaming but not a lot. No online shooters, mostly Dark Souls and other adventure games.
Thanks for any and all advice!!