Author Topic: Herman Miller Embody fixer upper  (Read 6767 times)

Offline Lpb45

Herman Miller Embody fixer upper
« on: Fri, 18 March 2011, 23:43:23 »
So I was board and was checking CL for random stuff in my area and happened to find a Herman miller embody chair that looks to be in great condition but it seems the piston is messed up.  I work next to a truck mechanic shop where they do alot of fabricating, do you guys think it would be incredibly hard to fix a chair like this?  

Even if I was just able to get them to like weld a non piston in place of it so it sits at the same height I am thinking I would be good. Even still if I had to get it attached to a differant base I think it would be a steal.   The guy wants 400 which I think is WAYYY too much so I am going to try and get him down to around 100-200.  You can see the pics in the link below.  tell me what you guys think I need some input.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/fuo/2206004393.html
Topre - 86U   |   Filco - Tenkeyless Linear Red
Filco - Tenkeyless Blue       |   Filco - Fullsize Non NKRO Blue (Work)

Offline typo

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 00:22:02 »
herman miller is very good about sending parts. you have to pay of course. the piston is not a real expensive part. it is just a friction fit. i don't see why it would need to be welded. maybe it is something else like the "control" is cracked. that is expensive.

oh wait! i looked at it. i am taking a guess. the "c" clip may simply have broke and come off! if that is the case you can fix it for less than $3! that is really what it looks like!
so go over there and see if the piston goes into the hole in the base. the hole in the base is slightly bigger than the rod on the piston, it is not a tight fit. if that is the case and you get it for say $250 you stold it! good used ones are like $700.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 March 2011, 00:26:56 by typo »

Offline Lpb45

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 00:32:21 »
Ya I am going to try and get the guy to let me come and take a look at it tommorow.  It was posted in Feb I just hope someone hasnt snatched it up, then I will be sad =(

Offline Lpb45

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 12:21:20 »
anyone have one of these or can take a look at one and think this should be fixable?  Any thoughts?

Offline typo

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 21:26:15 »
yes, as i told you. i have one in the basement i looked at for you. i use an aeron now.
i am guessing it is the $3 "c" clip! even for four hundred, if that is all it is thats a steal.

Offline zaerst

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 23:12:53 »
Niiiiice. I've wanted an embody for awhile. Sadly I don't have that kinda money to spend on a chair. :(  With the options I wanted think it was like @1400!

Offline victheslik

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 23:47:44 »
-
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2023, 22:28:23 by victheslik »
"The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain. " Karl Marx
A wiseman once said, "If Bible proves the existence of God, then comic books prove the existence of Superheros."

Offline Lpb45

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 20 March 2011, 09:44:52 »
ya I am still waiting on the guy to respond to me from CL

Offline typo

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 21:24:51 »
i was wondering what makes the embody hm's new flagship over the aeron?
i must be missing it.