Author Topic: CM Storm NovaTouch TKL Available for Purchase  (Read 36677 times)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Re: CM Storm NovaTouch TKL Available for Purchase
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 00:25:13 »
Reading these threads makes me seriously feel like Realforce are paying people to bash this thing.

Never before have I seen an innovative product bashed so hard even though it has a competitive price.

Yeah, yeah the other Topre boards have dyesubs. Who. Gives. A. ****. It's like $20 dollars more than the lasered FC660 for crying out loud and people had no problem buying those.

Same thoughts here. Yea, the price is a bit higher than people expected from CM, but damn dude, how many topre keyboards are there. 4, realforce, HHKB, type heaven and the 660c. And do those offer compatibility with the majority, if not all, custom cap sets? Nope... or a very limited, very expensive set that are no longer available (speaking of RF colored cap sets from EK).
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 00:27:32 »
Reading these threads makes me seriously feel like Realforce are paying people to bash this thing.

Never before have I seen an innovative product bashed so hard even though it has a competitive price.

Yeah, yeah the other Topre boards have dyesubs. Who. Gives. A. ****. It's like $20 dollars more than the lasered FC660 for crying out loud and people had no problem buying those.
I think it is because people were hoping for type heaven cost, not leopold fc660c cost. And if I remember correctly, all the CM employees kept throwing around $150-180 as a estimated cost of the board.
See I don't ever recall them posting about price. Some people said that they mentioned those prices at one of the expos but I took that with a grain of salt because people on the Internet are usually full of ****.

Instead everyone else took it as gospel. Go figure.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 07:52:52 »

I think it is because people were hoping for type heaven cost, not leopold fc660c cost. And if I remember correctly, all the CM employees kept throwing around $150-180 as a estimated cost of the board.
See I don't ever recall them posting about price. Some people said that they mentioned those prices at one of the expos but I took that with a grain of salt because people on the Internet are usually full of ****.

Well yea that's the issue dude.

Here's an example :

Tesla's new car is currently leaking, so called Model E or Model III (name not final), and what does the people are expecting? A deluxe electric car at a low price. Low price is the whole deal here, it should not compete against higher end cars. If Tesla delivers, but the price range is not what the potential customers had in mind, well, it won't sell. Two reasons here:

- It's too expensive for the target audience.
- At the same price, other options are available as well.

Pretty much the same scenario here (I know it's not 100% the same but you get the point), CM's target audience is not those who already affords 660c, realforce or HHKB, but those who goes low-end with Type Heaven (not intended to diss Type Heaven don't get me wrong here).

Just for a little more you get a 660c and who cares changing the caps of that board, just look at them already, thick leopold PBT is by far the best arround already. At this point when you get a 200$+ board you understand the very basic concept of "function over aesthetics" and most probably you won't even care what your board looks like you just want the 200$+ feel right?
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #103 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 07:55:23 »

thick leopold PBT is by far the best arround already.

You lost me right there.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 08:07:17 »

You lost me right there.

I don't see why? I strongly believe Leopold PBT keycap sets are one of the best option there is. Apart of aesthetics, why would you change the stock keycap set on a Leopold FC660C apart from the spacebar which is ABS?

Yea ok there would be plenty of reasons like the feel or maybe you have preferences but it's already very good, at least i'd say worth 200$+ right?

Just look at that baby

https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,compact&pid=fc660ceg

Would you seriously get a Novatouch over this sweet little baby?

Also available in black or white model order now for razer 1337-pack exclusive unfair advantage and free shipping worldwide join the cult now! More informations at http://www.razerzone.com/

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline Demetrium

« Reply #105 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 08:09:03 »
Any ideas as to when it'll be for sale anywhere other than the CM website?

This was a soft launch, probably, due to how they just kinda opened the page with no further advertising.

This board was hyped pretty hard at PAX East this past spring. They may go for a harder marketing push during Prime this year.

For what they did at East: They had a pretty large booth area, and a good part of it was computers with Novatouch keyboards set up with typing games.

Also, if there are coupon codes at Prime, they may be pretty good discounts (20% sometimes). I'll probably make a post in 'off-topic' to share the coupon codes I collect at Prime.

Looks like someone else was playing Typing of the Dead along with me!

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #106 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 08:18:06 »
My only knock with most of the Topre boards is the ABS spacebar. In all honesty it's one of the biggest reasons I haven't picked one up yet. Black 55g Realforce with full PBT and I'm sold.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline dante

« Reply #107 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 08:27:52 »
My only disappointment with the NovaTouch is typing height - it's marketed as "low profile" when in fact it's the same as the QFR.  LIES!

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #108 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 08:35:19 »
My only knock with most of the Topre boards is the ABS spacebar. In all honesty it's one of the biggest reasons I haven't picked one up yet. Black 55g Realforce with full PBT and I'm sold.

I totally feel you

Why market a set as PBT if the largest keycap is ABS, it's just cheapery.

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline dante

« Reply #109 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 08:37:54 »
It's hard to fault Topre on the spacebar - a lot of the keyboards from the past used ABS space bars and they didn't skimp on quality.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #110 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 08:39:40 »
PBT spacebars are prone to warping which is why it's common to see ABS.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #111 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 08:40:00 »

You lost me right there.

I don't see why? I strongly believe Leopold PBT keycap sets are one of the best option there is. Apart of aesthetics, why would you change the stock keycap set on a Leopold FC660C apart from the spacebar which is ABS?

Yea ok there would be plenty of reasons like the feel or maybe you have preferences but it's already very good, at least i'd say worth 200$+ right?

Just look at that baby

https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,compact&pid=fc660ceg

Would you seriously get a Novatouch over this sweet little baby?

Also available in black or white model order now for razer 1337-pack exclusive unfair advantage and free shipping worldwide join the cult now! More informations at http://www.razerzone.com/

For someone living in Canada, this is very very shortsighted.

Please tell me where I can get AZERTY keycaps for my Realforces, my FC660C and my HHKB? What about QWERTZ sets for our german friends? Do you know that Spanish, Italian, Swedish, Finish... QWERTY or QWERTZ has many keys that differ from US QWERTY?

I think the answer is: there is NOWHERE I can purchase them. Actually I guess it would be possible to find some on ancient Topre keyboards... How long before I find one? Actually I need 5 sets (3xRealforce, 1xFC660C, 1xHHKB).

So my best bet is to find a way to put Cherry keycaps on Topre boards. I have several sets of doubleshot AZERTY that would be perfect.

If the Novatouch's stems are compatible, I'm planning to harvest them for my Realforce, so I can FINALLY get proper AZERTY keycaps on my Topre boards. If they are not compatible, I hope the Novatouch is well built and I'll say bye-bye to my Realforces (it will hurt).

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 08:43:56 »
The fact of the matter is the stock keycaps on most boards aren't really a factor for a lot of people here. So many people have spare sets ready and waiting just for a board like this.

And that Leopold linked is bland as hell, I can't stand the colorway.

Offline jameslr

« Reply #113 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 08:52:47 »
The fact of the matter is the stock keycaps on most boards aren't really a factor for a lot of people here. So many people have spare sets ready and waiting just for a board like this.

And that Leopold linked is bland as hell, I can't stand the colorway.

This. For a person that doesn't already have an extensive collection of aftermarket caps - a Novatouch is more of a significant investment. With regard to the FC660C, the layout kills me. It's a nice looking board and all, but if I were to have physical editing keys (ins, del, home, end, etc) I would rather have the whole bank and just go TKL.
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #114 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 09:01:52 »
I don't see why that would be shortsighted from someone who comes from Canada?

We only have QWERTY here, arround 3 or 4 layouts all in all, mostly US. and even my keycaps show US layout but i'm typing french canadian layout all the time. If you have specific need i understand you would like your caps to fit but anyway you're touchtyping, you don't really need legends anymore do you?

As i said, yeah, there's plenty of reasons to change a set of course, but question is, is there really a "need" (not a "want", different things) to? Apart from the material and profil, i believe the rest is aesthetics for experienced typists.

You can harvest them too yea that would be great to see, but it's still 200$ for some plastic stems cause you gotta pay the whole package.

Is it worth a shot? Now that's your call from now on!

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #115 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 10:22:18 »

I touched on this in another thread.
The CM brand is average quality products at low prices. I personally hoped that the novatouch would follow this scheme so that topre switches have a better chance of becoming more mainstream. While I am sure there are a many people here on geekhack who will buy the novatouch at the $200 price tag, I am not as confident that the vast majority of CM's customer base will pick the novatouch over a $80 QFR.
Also with regards to the keycaps, I think this is further evidence of how people perceive CM products. Yes the difference might be $20 (and probably less to CM due to bulk purchasing power) but this highlights the cost saving tactics of CM. It is not unreasonable then to wonder what other cost cutting measures are being implemented. In general people do not mind this because of the price. With the price comparable to premium boards though, why not buy a premium product?
RETIRED

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #116 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 10:26:48 »

The CM brand is average quality products at low prices. I personally hoped that the novatouch would follow this scheme so that topre switches have a better chance of becoming more mainstream. While I am sure there are a many people here on geekhack who will buy the novatouch at the $200 price tag, I am not as confident that the vast majority of CM's customer base will pick the novatouch over a $80 QFR.
Also with regards to the keycaps, I think this is further evidence of how people perceive CM products. Yes the difference might be $20 (and probably less to CM due to bulk purchasing power) but this highlights the cost saving tactics of CM. It is not unreasonable then to wonder what other cost cutting measures are being implemented. In general people do not mind this because of the price. With the price comparable to premium boards though, why not buy a premium product?
Just because CM boards are cheap doesn't mean they aren't a quality product, whether  something is premium or not is subjective.

MX stems on Topre PCB sounds pretty damn premium to me.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #117 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 10:27:33 »
The can keep the caps, sell a bare bones version for $99 and I'll grab one. =]

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #118 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 10:37:20 »
The new stems/stabilizer tech probably cost much more than producing some keycaps with existing molds.. Kinda surprised it will only cost $200 :p

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #119 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 10:38:32 »

We only have QWERTY here, arround 3 or 4 layouts all in all, mostly US. and even my keycaps show US layout but i'm typing french canadian layout all the time. If you have specific need i understand you would like your caps to fit but anyway you're touchtyping, you don't really need legends anymore do you?

As i said, yeah, there's plenty of reasons to change a set of course, but question is, is there really a "need" (not a "want", different things) to? Apart from the material and profil, i believe the rest is aesthetics for experienced typists.

You can harvest them too yea that would be great to see, but it's still 200$ for some plastic stems cause you gotta pay the whole package.

It's shortsighted coming from anyone, including someone who lives in Canada. :)

I thought you had AZERTY in Quebec as well, but anyway... You know there are very good reasons to change the provided keycaps.

I don't touch type. I can if I try very hard, but then I'm slow, so I guess it's not touch-typing. I think most programmers have the same problem: we have too many special symbols to type and they are everywhere on the keyboard.

At this time, all my Topre boards have stickers. That's how I have converted them to AZERTY. But I have several AZERTY keycaps sets that I would really like to put to good use.

I know it's $200 for some plastic stems. I wish there were other ways... Mmh... 3D printing maybe?

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #120 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 10:41:07 »

Just because CM boards are cheap doesn't mean they aren't a quality product, whether  something is premium or not is subjective.

MX stems on Topre PCB sounds pretty damn premium to me.
Interesting. My rationale is subjective and you counter with another subjective statement. To be clear my thoughts shouldn't be taken as immediately dismissing the product. I am just pointing out why some people might be raising eyebrows. I will have final judgement on product when it comes out. I also do not feel bad for CM with some of these reactions. One downside to leading a hype campaign on a product is that there is inevitably some let down.
RETIRED

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #121 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 10:43:12 »
I know it's $200 for some plastic stems. I wish there were other ways... Mmh... 3D printing maybe?

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54942.0

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 11:01:21 »

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54942.0

WOW! I had missed this thread. My fault, I only read the "Keyboard" subforum, most of the time.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #123 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 12:04:04 »

I thought you had AZERTY in Quebec as well, but anyway... You know there are very good reasons to change the provided keycaps.

I don't touch type. I can if I try very hard, but then I'm slow, so I guess it's not touch-typing. I think most programmers have the same problem: we have too many special symbols to type and they are everywhere on the keyboard.

At this time, all my Topre boards have stickers. That's how I have converted them to AZERTY. But I have several AZERTY keycaps sets that I would really like to put to good use.
First, using a national layout "designed" by a retarded monkey on crack (i.e. French AZERTY) *is* shortsighted.

Second, The Keyboard Company carries French, German and Nordic Topre Realforce keyboards.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #124 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 13:56:19 »

I thought you had AZERTY in Quebec as well

En Amérique rien n'est adapté pour autre que les anglophones. Nous francophones devons toujours faire l'effort de s'adapter pour tout ce qui n'est pas couvert par la loi 101. C'est moche mais c'est la vie, 8 millions n'a aucun poids contre 430 millions. Dans tous les cas, on devient bilingue donc whatever, sa nous donne un avantage compétitif considérable au niveau international, entre 40% et 50% de la province est bilingue, un des endroit avec le plus grand ratio au monde considérant qu'il s'agit d'une langue latine et d'une langue germanique!

L'autre province très bilingue est le Nouveau Brunswick avec environs 30%. Les autres c'est très peu, malheureusement. On a plus de poids :/

I believe you understood that one if you use AZERTY :p

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #125 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 19:53:08 »

I thought you had AZERTY in Quebec as well

En Amérique rien n'est adapté pour autre que les anglophones. Nous francophones devons toujours faire l'effort de s'adapter pour tout ce qui n'est pas couvert par la loi 101. C'est moche mais c'est la vie, 8 millions n'a aucun poids contre 430 millions. Dans tous les cas, on devient bilingue donc whatever, sa nous donne un avantage compétitif considérable au niveau international, entre 40% et 50% de la province est bilingue, un des endroit avec le plus grand ratio au monde considérant qu'il s'agit d'une langue latine et d'une langue germanique!

L'autre province très bilingue est le Nouveau Brunswick avec environs 30%. Les autres c'est très peu, malheureusement. On a plus de poids :/

I believe you understood that one if you use AZERTY :p

Donc tu écris les accents en utilisant les touches quote et backquote? Galère...

Technically I live in America as well, but in a part where AZERTY is not going anywhere.

I have tried to convert to QWERTY, but it's very impractical when you have to type a lot in French.

My compromise is to use ANSI, which I love because of the big Shifts, and to put AZERTY on it.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #126 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 22:55:21 »
PBT spacebars are prone to warping which is why it's common to see ABS.
IBM didn't have a problem with theirs in 1981
The new stems/stabilizer tech probably cost much more than producing some keycaps with existing molds.. Kinda surprised it will only cost $200 :p
See, this is an excellent post, and a topic I'm surprised didn't come up earlier. I agree wholeheartedly, but I guess companies aren't allowed to make money anymore.

Guess what: the type heaven came out like 20 years after topre started making keyboards for everyone.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #127 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 03:17:07 »

First, using a national layout "designed" by a retarded monkey on crack (i.e. French AZERTY) *is* shortsighted.

Second, The Keyboard Company carries French, German and Nordic Topre Realforce keyboards.

I think I needed you to point me to the Keyboard Company.

I have already purchased all the mechanicals in ISO FR from them, thank you.

The Realforce 88UB has black legends on black keys. It's absolutely unreadable. So I have stickers on this one as well.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #128 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 07:27:41 »
Donc tu écris les accents en utilisant les touches quote et backquote? Galère...

Humm

é = Bottom right next to shift "/?" key
è accent (Accent grave) is " ' " " key, you need to hit it first then hit any other vowel (can go on ù and à as well)
ê is on " [{ " Same as above, must be summoned.
ë is on "]}" must also be summoned.

Ouai c'est la galère mais on s'y habitue, sa permet de changer de langue vraiment vite. J'travail dans une entreprise bilingue donc sa m'arrange d'être compatible avec les deux langues sans devoir changer de layout!

Yeah it's crap but you'll get use to it, make you able to switch language real fast. I work in a bilingual enterprise and so it's nice being able to shift in between both languages without changing the layout.

Anyway now-a-day not being bilingual in Montréal is just weird lol

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #129 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 11:08:07 »

Humm

è accent (Accent grave) is " ' " " key, you need to hit it first then hit any other vowel (can go on ù and à as well)

Ouai c'est la galère mais on s'y habitue, sa permet de changer de langue vraiment vite. J'travail dans une entreprise bilingue donc sa m'arrange d'être compatible avec les deux langues sans devoir changer de layout!

Yeah it's crap but you'll get use to it, make you able to switch language real fast. I work in a bilingual enterprise and so it's nice being able to shift in between both languages without changing the layout.

I should really try again to convert to QWERTY. I'll have to try at least one more time.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #130 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 12:16:32 »

Humm

I should really try again to convert to QWERTY. I'll have to try at least one more time.

Yeah well my best friend Thomas goes to France most of summers and he usually says if you type a lot about 2-3 days you get full adapted. He says the worst is that you guys gotta hit shift to input numbers and that's a real hard sh1t to adapt to.

Still AZERTY is kindoff out of standard and i simply don't believe that it gives you any advantages against standard QWERTY, especially if you live in the USA you should convert for maximum compatibility with office noobs.

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #131 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 12:18:12 »
Is "purple slider" some kind of sexual innuendo?
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #132 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 12:24:29 »

not sure what you are referring to but the sliders on the novatouch are literally purple...

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #133 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 12:29:32 »

(Attachment Link)

not sure what you are referring to but the sliders on the novatouch are literally purple...

Yeah what is he saying maybe if we talk about him at third person he'll feel target and suddently feel the urge to explain himself.

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #134 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 14:43:53 »
Yeah well my best friend Thomas goes to France most of summers and he usually says if you type a lot about 2-3 days you get full adapted. He says the worst is that you guys gotta hit shift to input numbers and that's a real hard sh1t to adapt to.

Still AZERTY is kindoff out of standard and i simply don't believe that it gives you any advantages against standard QWERTY, especially if you live in the USA you should convert for maximum compatibility with office noobs.
I type frequently in English and French and in my experience Azerty ISO FR is a badly designed layout. I find Qwerty ANSI + US International more functional and logical for French.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #135 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 16:46:53 »
$200 is not a bad price at launch for this board. I have no idea what all this whining is about.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #136 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 18:37:53 »
$200 is not a bad price at launch for this board. I have no idea what all this whining is about.
But dyesubs! Totally agree man.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #137 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 08:16:59 »
The price is what it is. Would it be nice if it was cheaper? Of course, but there will always be unsatisfied people no matter the cost. I do think, though, that for 200 credits a non rubberized casing and better quality keycaps would have been nice.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #138 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 20:40:38 »
To begin with CM would need to recoup fairly considerable R&D and equipment costs.

I would expect to see the price drop once the boards become popular and more mainstream.

If a few popular stores (online and physical) start selling them, and they take off, the price could drop fairly drastically.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #139 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 06:27:51 »
This keyboard will not become mainstream at $200. I'd love to be wrong though.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #140 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 07:11:07 »

I agree the NovaTouch is a niche product for keyboard enthusiasts not mainsteam at all. Talk about mainstream look at Razer Blackwidow probably the worlds best selling mechanical keyboard. The Blackwidow Croma is going to be released Sept. also for only $179.99 MSRP. I'm willing to bet they will sell 10 to 1 over NovaTouch and the Corsair RGB is coming too. Sad to say those are mainstream and what the masses will buy (not me). I hope the NovaTouch is a success but at $200 it's up against some tough competition in the Topre keyboard market.   

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #141 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 17:12:27 »
Anyone keeping their order that doesn't care for the free CM Storm backpack? :P
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #142 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 17:16:38 »
Also interested in the backpack  ;D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #143 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 05:32:23 »

I agree the NovaTouch is a niche product for keyboard enthusiasts not mainsteam at all. Talk about mainstream look at Razer Blackwidow probably the worlds best selling mechanical keyboard. The Blackwidow Croma is going to be released Sept. also for only $179.99 MSRP. I'm willing to bet they will sell 10 to 1 over NovaTouch and the Corsair RGB is coming too. Sad to say those are mainstream and what the masses will buy (not me). I hope the NovaTouch is a success but at $200 it's up against some tough competition in the Topre keyboard market.   

For anyone who wants a Topre keyboard, they are likely to give the Novatouch a long, hard look, I would imagine.  It is a very standard TKL layout.  It has MX_compatible stems (which means PBT keycaps of your choice, or ABS if that is your thing, or even POM if that floats your boat - try getting almost any replacement keycaps for Topre stems).

Compare $200 to the price of most other Topre keyboards available now, plus CM's proven name and, hopefully, a good quality keyboard.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #144 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 09:34:56 »

For anyone who wants a Topre keyboard, they are likely to give the Novatouch a long, hard look, I would imagine.  It is a very standard TKL layout.  It has MX_compatible stems (which means PBT keycaps of your choice, or ABS if that is your thing, or even POM if that floats your boat - try getting almost any replacement keycaps for Topre stems).

Compare $200 to the price of most other Topre keyboards available now, plus CM's proven name and, hopefully, a good quality keyboard.

+1 GMK Dolch on Topre anyone?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #145 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 09:49:46 »

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #146 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 11:58:07 »

(Attachment Link)
I think that would be the expression of most Topre aficionados sitting in front of a new "BlackWidow Croma". :p

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #147 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 12:57:07 »

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline jameslr

« Reply #148 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 20:39:41 »
Seriously though. What if Razer was the company that put out the equivalent of the Novatouch (MX stems, Topre electronics)?? Would you still buy it? I hate to say it...but I think I would. Even if only to harvest the sliders to put them in a decent looking board.
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline cphead

« Reply #149 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 20:47:11 »
Even if only to harvest the sliders to put them in a decent looking board.

That's probably what I'll end up doing with the Novatouch anyways.