Author Topic: Neebio's USB Creations  (Read 4805 times)

Offline Neebio

• Dance Master
Neebio's USB Creations
« on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 20:01:25 »
So awhile ago I got this idea in my head that I was going to use my little hobby lathe as a milling machine and make myself a custom wooden case for my USB stick.  Turns out after doing a couple, I got pretty good at it, although I'm still experimenting with finishes, especially on the metal collars.  I don't really have many 'in progress' pictures to show, mostly cause I forgot to take some!  However, I know you guys like pictures, and I do have finished product pictures!  (excuse the pretty bad cellphone pics, I do my best with what I have)

My Daily Driver:
- Outsides: Cocobolo
- Middle: Tulipwood
35340-035342-1

Next two were going away gifts to friends:
- Outsides: Cocobolo
- Middle: Purple Heart
- Collar: Solid Brass
35344-235346-3
- Wood: Amboyna Burl
- Collar: Solid Brass
35348-435350-5

I just restocked my supply of USB sticks to cannibalize, so there will be more custom USB cases on the way soon...
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 September 2013, 08:41:55 by Neebio »
RK9000RE w/ Raindrop & DDR arrow keys
Cherry G80-11900LUMEU-2 w/ Red/Black SA keys

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
Re: Custom USB Memory Sticks
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 20:18:09 »
What about a Ti version, waterproof, heavy duty, 
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 20:35:28 »
I need a burlwood version!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 20:38:48 »
Looks great :) You've done an extremely nice job on them!
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 21:04:35 »
Looks fantastic!

How about one with a built-in keycap puller? :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 00:11:18 »
OMG, that purpleheart one is amazing.

MMmm....purple.

Offline Neebio

• Dance Master
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 00:22:07 »
I need a burlwood version!

Keep an eye out, I have more of the wood ;)

Offline Neebio

• Dance Master
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 22:24:36 »
New one to add to the family!

I was at a convention of the anime variety with some friends before school started back up, and there was a vendor there with an aquarium of random/reject dice.  I decided then that some dice USBs would be cool, so I got a grab box of (mostly) matching pairs of dice.

Here's the first dice USB to result from that!

36090-036092-136094-2

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
Re: Neebio's USB Creations
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 11:24:31 »
these are so awesome. you should sell me one. PM me. i am serious.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 11:29:18 »
Wow dude...those dice are really cool too :D

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 11:30:50 »
Wow, I really like the dice. Now you just need to make one with Legos!  :p
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 11:34:38 »
How I missed this thread I do not know. But these are awesome!

I second the lego comment!!

Offline Neebio

• Dance Master
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 12:18:36 »
Thanks for the support guys!  I should have some more interesting ones coming out soon, if I find time away from work/school of course... 

Personally, I'm not sure if I'll do a LEGO one, mostly cause that's a pretty common thing. :p  If somebody really wanted one though, I suppose I could make it more of a priority... ;)

these are so awesome. you should sell me one. PM me. i am serious.

Sent.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 12:21:01 »
Oh, those dice ones are sweet?  How much for six or eight units?

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 12:24:26 »
Thanks for the support guys!  I should have some more interesting ones coming out soon, if I find time away from work/school of course... 

Personally, I'm not sure if I'll do a LEGO one, mostly cause that's a pretty common thing. :p  If somebody really wanted one though, I suppose I could make it more of a priority... ;)

No, you do great work. Do whatever you want! I can't wait to see what you come up with.  :thumb:
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline Neebio

• Dance Master
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 12:34:07 »

That might be difficult if you want them the same...  I got those dice from a grab-box of sorts at a convention, and I'd have to do some real hard looking to find more...  I have maybe three more pairs of the same design, but that's about it...  I do of course have other styles of dice that I intended on turning into USBs however. 

As for a price, I'm thinking about $30+shipping each.  This is based on the stock of USB sticks I currently have (8GB sticks), the relative rarity of the dice from my supply, overall material cost, and of course labor.  If I run out of USBs, dice, etc, costs will probably change appropriately.

I've never had to mail anything internationally, but these are quite small, so I don't expect it will be too expensive.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 September 2013, 12:37:41 by Neebio »

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 12:42:00 »

That might be difficult if you want them the same...  I got those dice from a grab-box of sorts at a convention, and I'd have to do some real hard looking to find more...  I have maybe three more pairs of the same design, but that's about it...  I do of course have other styles of dice that I intended on turning into USBs however. 

As for a price, I'm thinking about $30+shipping each.  This is based on the stock of USB sticks I currently have (8GB sticks), the relative rarity of the dice from my supply, overall material cost, and of course labor.  If I run out of USBs, dice, etc, costs will probably change appropriately.

I've never had to mail anything internationally, but these are quite small, so I don't expect it will be too expensive.

I'd be interested in a few sets as Christmas gifts for my gamer friends.  Random dice are fine, preference would be for unusual (i.e., not D6's) pairs, but I'm flexible.

PM incoming!

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 19:03:05 »
Wow, I really like the dice. Now you just need to make one with Legos!  :p
My first hardware mod was to put a 2Gb PNY flash drive into a lego brick, but I couldn't be bothered to do the "normal lego brick, so I put it into a "pirate chest" lego brick. You can open it up and see the drive inside. It turned out surprisingly well for a first attempt.

These are much better though.

Offline Neebio

• Dance Master
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 23:04:46 »
Hey all, so I've been busy with a combination of work and trying to finish up my university degree, but I have managed to find a bit of time for more USB fun.  Today I've got a material trial piece I put the finishing touches on recently.  This piece was basically a test run of using antler as a case material.  Turns out antler has a... unique... smell when you cut it or otherwise work it... I think it turned out great, and I know how you guys love pictures, so I'll get right to it!

Antler-Coco:  This 8GB Kingston USB features naturally fallen antler as a body with a thin brass collar, topped with a cocobolo wood cap finished with tung oil.
(And I know somebody is probably thinking it.  Sorry, this one is accounted for, so it won't be for sale)

Pictures: (Album)
More

« Last Edit: Mon, 03 February 2014, 23:07:32 by Neebio »

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 08:18:32 »
Just wanted to say that the dice USB keys I got from you were a big hit with my gaming crew!  The fit and finish were very detailed, I couldn't spot any flaws (and I checked carefully since these were going to be gifts!). 

Just a bit annoyed I didn't take any pictures, was in a hurry to get them in the mail before Christmas so I sent them off the same day I got them.  Very highly recommended!

By the way, that antler/cocobolo USB key looks amazing!  Very techno-pagan.   :thumb:  I hear you about the odor, my experiments with drilling holes in some antlers for wrist straps were abbreviated when I managed to stink up the whole house.  I use antlers for lithic technology, the consistency of the antlers is perfect for flint or obsidian knapping.

Offline Neebio

• Dance Master
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 11:42:53 »
Thanks, that's great to hear!  I'm glad they were well received.  I may have a picture or two of the group of them somewhere, but I didn't have access to a nice camera at the time so I don't recall taking very many pictures myself either..

I'll be sure to get good pictures of all my future creations, now that I have access to a nice camera :)