Author Topic: Looking for a staggered (I think that is the term) matrix keyboard.  (Read 3406 times)

Offline speedkills

I just ordered up a TE keyboard and am on the list for the ErgoDOX if that project ends up coming together but wondered if there were any other alternatives to these keyboards.  

I recently stumbled across this video and it immediately made sense to me, that I should be typing on the pads of my fingers instead of with my fingertips.  Ignore the fact that she is selling a video on how to eliminate RSI pain, it still feels better to my hands.

http://youtu.be/-nfwL_99pjA

I know piano players do this but for me this was the first time I had heard of typing this way.  I tried it out on my laptop and it felt pretty good right away but I find it very difficult with the key wells on my Kinesis Advantage so now I am looking for another keyboard to replace it.  I would love something with the keys staggered since my fingers will be straighter and the middle fingers will be reaching further out naturally than the other fingers and already love the matrix layout (or is it a different term when staggered?) of my Kinesis.

The ultimate would be something split as well so I could adjust the tenting throughout the day to maintain comfort but that is probably a pipe dream.  Anyway, after doing hours of reading on this forum (why didn't I find this placed sooner?  Awesome resource) I figured I should just ask to make sure I am not missing any other options.  I am picker about the layout/shape of the keyboard than the keys so go ahead and let me know of alternatives even if they are not using mechanical keys.

Thanks,

-S

Offline sordna

Looking for a staggered (I think that is the term) matrix keyboard.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 16:24:06 »
The TE seems like a good choice for what you want to do. I'm not aware of a split (adjustable/movable) straight column keyboard on the market, so I guess we have to wait on the ErgoDox for that!
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline boli

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 18:54:44 »
Welcome to geekhack. :)

Hmm, I like the term "straight columns" (which someone else brought up here some time ago) for these sort of keyboards, which include both those with staggered columns such as the TE and Kinesis Advantage, as well as grid/matrix keyboards like the TypeMatrix. Either feel more comfortable to type on than regular keyboards with staggered rows.

I concur that the TE should be a good choice, definitely worth checking out. I gave it a try as well (you can find all about it in a recent thread in this subforum). It turns out I preferred the Advantage overall, mainly because of its thumb keys. The TE does have a few benefits too, such as the central tab key, and proper F# keys with real switches.

BTW when I type on my advantage I rest my hands on the included pads (not officially recommended), and my fingers are only excessively curled when using the bottom row, so not very often.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 March 2012, 18:59:38 by boli »
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com

Offline speedkills

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 23:52:24 »
I rest my hands on the pads too, can't help it with the keywells.  I have pretty bad rsi and while I wouldn't say I am excessively curling, I think straightening my fingers some would help but can't really make it work with the deep keywells on the Kinesis.

It may be that I just need to keep changing things up and will end up just changing keyboards every few days.  It seems like every change I make helps for a while, then the pain comes back.

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 15 March 2012, 12:40:10 »
Well, it's the basic rule of ergonomics to change things as much as possible. ;)
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline sordna

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 15 March 2012, 12:54:23 »
Quote from: speedkills;546415
I rest my hands on the pads too, can't help it with the keywells.

Consider adding palm keys to your kinesis, it will force you to lift the hands while typing, to avoid pushing them. They relieve the pinkies too (I used them mainly for shift). It's a very easy mod, no soldering required; all you need is a screwdriver and a drill.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline hoggy

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 15 March 2012, 15:32:13 »
Especially if you configured the palm keys to block all input from the keyboard...
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline sordna

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 15 March 2012, 16:16:20 »
No, I use them as modifiers. TYPING IN CAPS is a good enough deterrent to avoid planing your hands down while you type.

Offline speedkills

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 02:12:23 »
I like to capitalize keywords when I'm writing SQL.  That would be kind of awesome for that.  I used the foot switch for a while to do that but found I don't actually like to use it that frequently so I swapped it over to alt-tab for now which I prefer, but being able to somehow use it to toggle my keyboard back and forth between normal and control layer would be perfect I think.

Offline sordna

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 10:20:59 »
I use the right palm key for momentary access to the 2nd layer, and the left for shift. If you want a toggle (other than the rubber keypad key) you can make any key be a toggle on the Kinesis. Just go to remap mode, push and release the footswitch (must be wired to enable the keypad layer), then hit Caps Lock or whatever key you want to make a toggle. Then hit the rubber keypad key, push/release the footswtich, and hit caps lock (or whatever key) again. Then exit remap mode, and your Caps Lock will be an additional 2nd layer toggle.