geekhack Community > Off Topic

How do people with jobs find time to go to the gym?

<< < (2/12) > >>

Leslieann:

--- Quote from: Findecanor on Mon, 20 November 2023, 09:18:39 ---From a European perspective, those work hours are totally bonkers. I can understand if you are running your own business or you're a workaholic that takes on responsibility voluntarily, but it should never be dumped on regular workers: that's just abuse.

--- End quote ---
A lot of those jobs are a lot waiting around or figuring things out, after hours light work or just piddly stuff you either couldn't do during normal hours or just has to get done at some point, it's not like most of those jobs  are the same as spending 80 hours digging ditches, but still.

Resident docs though, they do work their a$$es off, luckily it's not long term but many end up abusing drugs to get through it. It's rampant, especially the anesthesiologists because they know how much and how often they can do it safely (at first). It's all kind of a poorly kept secret in drug testing circles and hospitals.

noisyturtle:

--- Quote from: Findecanor on Mon, 20 November 2023, 09:18:39 ---From a European perspective, those work hours are totally bonkers. I can understand if you are running your own business or you're a workaholic that takes on responsibility voluntarily, but it should never be dumped on regular workers: that's just abuse.

When I've had office jobs (job at all), I've had co-workers that went to the gym right before work, right after work or during the lunch break. Cliques formed at work that often went together.
The keys here were that hours were reasonable (40h work week), with some flexibility (allowing long lunch break) and that the gyms were located within short walking distance from the office.
A few times the employer encouraged people to to exercise by sponsoring them (tax-free benefit) and/or brokering a deal with a local gym for reduced membership fees. It was viewed as an investment: healthier workers are more productive workers.

But yeah. I've even had a gym membership that I never used because at the end of the day I just wanted to get some food and some alone-time.

--- End quote ---

Just 2 jobs I work 6.5 days a week. One is a remote CRM thing, and the other is just a grocery store gig. I average about 60hrs a week working, and only barely make enough to cover my bills every month with zero savings. Welcome to America.
I want to move out of the area I'm in because it is so expensive, but I literally cannot afford to take any time off and have no savings to make the move. It's basically a trap.

But I'd really love to find any time for the gym. Even just like 2-3hrs a week would be great.

tp4tissue:

--- Quote from: noisyturtle on Mon, 20 November 2023, 18:48:32 ---I want to move out of the area I'm in because it is so expensive, but I literally cannot afford to take any time off and have no savings to make the move. It's basically a trap.

But I'd really love to find any time for the gym. Even just like 2-3hrs a week would be great.

--- End quote ---

This resonates with Tp4's experience with human cities.  Much like the Night-City of Cyberpunk Edgerunners,  The Cities are a Prison to all but its staff and warden. 

EVEN then, the people at the top are themselves slaves to the same system.

mohawk1367:

When I've had office jobs (job at all), I've had co-workers that went to the gym right before work, right after work or during the lunch break. Cliques formed at work that often went together.
The keys here were that hours were reasonable (40h work week), with some flexibility (allowing long lunch break) and that the gyms were located within short walking distance from the office.
A few times the employer encouraged people to to exercise by sponsoring them (tax-free benefit) and/or brokering a deal with a local gym for reduced membership fees. It was viewed as an investment: healthier workers are more productive workers.

But yeah. I've even had a gym membership that I never used because at the end of the day I just wanted to get some food and some alone-time.

--- End quote ---

even as an american this seems a little nutty

mohawk1367:

--- Quote from: noisyturtle on Mon, 20 November 2023, 18:48:32 ---

--- End quote ---

Just 2 jobs I work 6.5 days a week. One is a remote CRM thing, and the other is just a grocery store gig. I average about 60hrs a week working, and only barely make enough to cover my bills every month with zero savings. Welcome to America.
I want to move out of the area I'm in because it is so expensive, but I literally cannot afford to take any time off and have no savings to make the move. It's basically a trap.

--- End quote ---
are there any opportunities at your jobs you can take advantage of for exercise? like walking the aisles at the grocery store for a few minutes or something like that? better than nothing

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version