Author Topic: Ducky Shine II uneven rubber pads  (Read 6406 times)

Offline itzmeluigi

• ПБТ
Ducky Shine II uneven rubber pads
« on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 11:59:29 »
Well i just got my Ducky DK9008 Shine II Red Led with MX Blues from Pchome, it arrived four days after i ordered it.  So far i am extremely displeased with Duckys quality control considering my first Ducky Shine II TKL had some paint/plastic stuck to the top the of Alt key but mechanicalkeyboards.com replaced it.

The Ducky DK9008 Shine II that arrived today has an uneven rubber pad which makes typing on this keyboard impossible,  i compared it with my other Ducky Shine II and its the front right rubber pad that is lower then the rest on the keyboard so even if i use the plastic stands it will still wobble like crazy.   Does anyone know if Pchome will send out  replacement rubber pads because i contacted Ducky a while ago and they never got back to me with my Shine II TKL's issues so i doubt they are going to do anything.

Has anyone else had a wobbly Ducky Shine II and did they resolve it some how? If Pchome/Ducky wants me to return the entire keyboard because they dont have replacement rubber feet im just going to sell both my Duckys and go Filco since i heard Filcos quality control is much better is that true?
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 June 2013, 13:20:29 by itzmeluigi »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
Re: Ducky Shine II ueven rubber pads
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 12:08:21 »
An uneven rubber pad? Just glue some material onto the rubber pad to even it out.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline itzmeluigi

• ПБТ
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 12:16:11 »
An uneven rubber pad? Just glue some material onto the rubber pad to even it out.
True i could, but that is way to ghetto and not viable for a keyboard in this price range. I sent Ducky an email again asking to send out two or four rubber pads.  Two defects on the same brand keyboard, for a keyboard of this price is just so unacceptable on so many levels.

Does Pchome carry parts like spare keycaps and stuff for Duckys?
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 June 2013, 12:22:32 by itzmeluigi »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 12:25:01 »
I'm sorry but I wouldn't call an uneven rubber pad a defect. It's a very small problem that can be very easily fixed by yourself. I feel that you're being a bit too picky.

Also, if you do it right then it'll be tidy and won't look 'ghetto'.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline itzmeluigi

• ПБТ
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 13:13:10 »
I'm sorry but I wouldn't call an uneven rubber pad a defect. It's a very small problem that can be very easily fixed by yourself. I feel that you're being a bit too picky.

Isnt the first time ive been called picky ;D,  i guess its not a defect to the actual keyboard technically, but it does make the keyboard not pleasant to use.  Its just very surprising  that a keyboard for this price has such a noticeable flaw.  How would i go about doing it properly though?  I cant think of a single thing besides paper haha.

Offline itzmeluigi

• ПБТ
Re: Ducky Shine II uneven rubber pads
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 15:01:30 »
After carefully inspecting the rubber pads i noticed they had a very slight slope on them, i noticed on the pad that was uneven the slope was going the opposite direction of the other pads slope,  so i simply removed the rubber pad slowly and installed it in the other direction and it doesn't wobble anymore.  Now i can really start testing these Mx blues out  :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 June 2013, 15:05:14 by itzmeluigi »

Offline bigsid05

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 19:49:36 »

What? It's a brand new keyboard. Any keyboard that costs upwards of $100 shouldn't require hacking together something just to achieve normal functionality.

Glad to hear it was a simple fix OP!

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 14:01:33 »

Dude, what are you on?

First of all, it's a $130+ keyboard. Expecting them to make sure it sits level and doesn't wobble is not being 'picky.' Secondly, a keyboard that wobbles shouldn't be getting past QC in the first place since the rework is literally "swap rubber pads." Third, the most likely cause is that they used the wrong foot.

There's being tolerant of errors - they do happen. An incorrect foot isn't a reason to demand a refund for defective hardware. But it's FAR from "picky" or "ridiculous" to expect Ducky to apologize for the error and ship a $0.02 self-adhesive rubber pad to make right a $130+ keyboard. (Hell, they should be glad - all said and done the fix would cost them less than a dollar.)
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 22:17:39 »
Today I set up my new Ducky Shine 2 TKL Chinese version with red LEDs and Cherry browns. It wobbles with or without the feet extended. I haven't checked to see if the problem is with the rubber pads. Whatever the  source of the problem, I fully agree that a supposedly premium keyboard should not wobble. This indicates poor build quality and poor quality control. Otherwise, I like most of the features of the keyboard (except for the feet, which are not rubberized and so the keyboard slides instead of staying firmly put), but my enjoyment of it has been marred by the unfortunate wobble defect.

Edit: I tried replacing the rubber pad  with new silicone pads. This lessened the wobble but did not eliminate it. It seems that the case is not even.

My IBM Model M and my Filco Majestouch-2 TKL do not wobble.

BTW, another odd thing about the Ducky is that the uppercase and lowercase legends on the keycaps are reversed. However, there is a certain logic to this. After all, the normal legends on the letter keycaps are uppercase, so showing the legends of symbols that are activated by the shift key on top makes a kind of sense and adds to the whimsical charm of this keyboard.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 June 2013, 23:16:29 by rjrich »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 23:55:02 »
Sometimes these boards wobble because the box has been twisted in transit.

Just grab each and and twist it very slightly back into shape.

That happened with my QFR - easily fixed.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 14:05:54 »
Today I set up my new Ducky Shine 2 TKL Chinese version with red LEDs and Cherry browns. It wobbles with or without the feet extended. I haven't checked to see if the problem is with the rubber pads. Whatever the  source of the problem, I fully agree that a supposedly premium keyboard should not wobble. This indicates poor build quality and poor quality control. Otherwise, I like most of the features of the keyboard (except for the feet, which are not rubberized and so the keyboard slides instead of staying firmly put), but my enjoyment of it has been marred by the unfortunate wobble defect.

Edit: I tried replacing the rubber pad  with new silicone pads. This lessened the wobble but did not eliminate it. It seems that the case is not even.

My IBM Model M and my Filco Majestouch-2 TKL do not wobble.

BTW, another odd thing about the Ducky is that the uppercase and lowercase legends on the keycaps are reversed. However, there is a certain logic to this. After all, the normal legends on the letter keycaps are uppercase, so showing the legends of symbols that are activated by the shift key on top makes a kind of sense and adds to the whimsical charm of this keyboard.
I think the reason for the reversal of the legends has to do with the LED position at the top of the switch.