Author Topic: Tugged connector when PCB attached - keyboard unresponsive  (Read 871 times)

Offline warm_gravy

Tugged connector when PCB attached - keyboard unresponsive
« on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 17:07:58 »
As the title suggests, I had tugged the connector cable as it was still screwed down to the base of the case (novatouch).  Before screwing it all up, I tested to see if it still worked and it did. 

Later that day, it was my first experience with intermittent connection, ~2 seconds, then it would be responsive again.  The next day, plugged it in to only see that it is completely unresponsive.

It seems to connect when 1) the cable was in a certain position -> extended versus the usual curl or 2) added padding to either "lift" it or "
pinch" the wire.  I'm currently using the keyboard right now using the number 2 method, but I'm hoping there is a more permanent fixture than some padded I have between the pcb and the case.  Is it safe to say that it isn't the PCB in this case and that the only thing that needs some work is the connector?

And if it is the connector, how would I know exactly what point needs to be fixed? - I'm assuming this is the only way to go as I don't think they sell just this part somewhere - but if I'm mistaken, please happily correct me.

Thanks for any input and advice!

Offline Kilgarah

Re: Tugged connector when PCB attached - keyboard unresponsive
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 10:47:08 »
As the title suggests, I had tugged the connector cable as it was still screwed down to the base of the case (novatouch).  Before screwing it all up, I tested to see if it still worked and it did. 

Later that day, it was my first experience with intermittent connection, ~2 seconds, then it would be responsive again.  The next day, plugged it in to only see that it is completely unresponsive.

It seems to connect when 1) the cable was in a certain position -> extended versus the usual curl or 2) added padding to either "lift" it or "
pinch" the wire.  I'm currently using the keyboard right now using the number 2 method, but I'm hoping there is a more permanent fixture than some padded I have between the pcb and the case.  Is it safe to say that it isn't the PCB in this case and that the only thing that needs some work is the connector?

And if it is the connector, how would I know exactly what point needs to be fixed? - I'm assuming this is the only way to go as I don't think they sell just this part somewhere - but if I'm mistaken, please happily correct me.

Thanks for any input and advice!
I'm guessing you have a loose connection between the connector and the pads. Some pictures would be helpful. If you can get some pictures of the PCB, it's possible that someone could recommend a proper replacement port. Best case scenario, you just need to push it back down and add some solder.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk