Author Topic: [IC] GMK Space Cadet, launches August 3rd 2018 on Massdrop  (Read 184083 times)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: [IC] GMK Space Cadet
« Reply #300 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 15:56:12 »
i think y'all are overthinking this

Oh, this is nothing compared to the depth and extent of the community input that went into DSA Granite. The debate over its typeface alone went on for months...

i know, i was there and said the same thing then too

although it turned out well

It's a bit of a tangent, but I wonder how well Space Cadet would work as an all-over dyesub on Matt3o's MT3 profile.

Did matt3o indicate an ability to do complete-coverage dyesub for MT3 while I wasn't looking?

nope
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #301 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 02:32:40 »
Maybe I'm missing something (sorta new around geekhack) but why hasn't there been any kind of vote or poll done. Someone earlier made an elaborate post about how it'd be insane to kill sales by trying to do center legends on cherry profile and while that may be true wouldn't it be best put to a vote? For example, this set's already pretty unique when it comes to Cherry profiles in that it has its own legends.

Besides, I think if you included a note about how the centered legends were being true to the history of the keycap set in the description of the GB sale it would add a unique twist on just any old insert GMK colorway keycap set here. It would make it more GMK Space cadet instead of GMK gray/blue. Only way to find out how people might react would be to poll them... hmm... interesting!

Those are just my opinions though I totally see why people wouldn't want to shake the boat and try weird stuff with cherry profile. I've said it before but I will buy no matter what because I love the colorway.
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #302 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 08:22:13 »
Maybe I'm missing something (sorta new around geekhack) but why hasn't there been any kind of vote or poll done. Someone earlier made an elaborate post about how it'd be insane to kill sales by trying to do center legends on cherry profile and while that may be true wouldn't it be best put to a vote? For example, this set's already pretty unique when it comes to Cherry profiles in that it has its own legends.

Besides, I think if you included a note about how the centered legends were being true to the history of the keycap set in the description of the GB sale it would add a unique twist on just any old insert GMK colorway keycap set here. It would make it more GMK Space cadet instead of GMK gray/blue. Only way to find out how people might react would be to poll them... hmm... interesting!

Those are just my opinions though I totally see why people wouldn't want to shake the boat and try weird stuff with cherry profile. I've said it before but I will buy no matter what because I love the colorway.

Because the IC's in general are to give feedback to the designer, who then makes their own decisions.  It's the designer's choice, in the end, not the community's.

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #303 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 12:06:24 »

Because the IC's in general are to give feedback to the designer, who then makes their own decisions.  It's the designer's choice, in the end, not the community's.

I see that makes sense. Seems like polling would be a good way to give feedback to the designer though right? Rather than people on both sides of the legends debate claiming their side is "to help it reach MOQ" like that's an obvious statement.

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #304 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 12:11:34 »
Polling would to some people imply that their opinion really matters more than the designer.  If he needs polling, I'm sure he'll run it.  But that might not be the feedback he wanted or needed.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #305 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 23:10:25 »
I am one of those that doesn't care about space cadet any and just wants this because it has cool sublegends and a monotone option. I'm not a fan of it being on Massdrop, but I may break my own rules and join the GB direct instead of waiting for mechmarket extras.

Also, in regards to the current argument, I'm pretty sure most of you missed the little post a couple pages back where it was said that making the legends centered would require many more molds than just the main alphas. ANSI only alphas, including numrow, would require 47(I think) new molds, and then you'd have your weird centered alphas with corner numpad and cornered mods. Realistically, you have 2 choices: centered alphas that don't match the modifiers or the numpad, or leave them cornered like they're supposed to be for cherry profile. Unless you want a base set that looks bad or costs $300, I'd say get your attitudes in check and accept cherry style legends on a cherry set.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #306 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 02:19:35 »
Centered legends are awful. The best thing about GMK sets is how well everything is aligned and justified. It's all in balance. Centering the legends ruins all of that, look at Tab and Shift. Centering the legends is like the only thing that would keep me from buying this set.

Offline ricyuyc

« Reply #307 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 02:30:23 »
Centered legends are awful. The best thing about GMK sets is how well everything is aligned and justified. It's all in balance. Centering the legends ruins all of that, look at Tab and Shift. Centering the legends is like the only thing that would keep me from buying this set.
That's True.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #308 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 02:43:52 »

same

that or lack of funds
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #309 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 10:57:19 »

Did you not see the render of centered alphas but normal mods?

I am one of those that doesn't care about space cadet any and just wants this because it has cool sublegends and a monotone option. I'm not a fan of it being on Massdrop, but I may break my own rules and join the GB direct instead of waiting for mechmarket extras.

Also, in regards to the current argument, I'm pretty sure most of you missed the little post a couple pages back where it was said that making the legends centered would require many more molds than just the main alphas. ANSI only alphas, including numrow, would require 47(I think) new molds, and then you'd have your weird centered alphas with corner numpad and cornered mods. Realistically, you have 2 choices: centered alphas that don't match the modifiers or the numpad, or leave them cornered like they're supposed to be for cherry profile. Unless you want a base set that looks bad or costs $300, I'd say get your attitudes in check and accept cherry style legends on a cherry set.

This set is already requiring new Alpha molds (afaik no other said has had these symbols) so by changing ONLY to centered alphas you're not adding to the cost. And you can't say it objectively looks bad people have different tastes.

Offline nsmechkb

« Reply #310 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 11:22:30 »
Pretty sure it's already been decided, but the centered legends have grown on me. Maybe another time, haha!

The original still looks great, it just seems a bit busy in comparison.

[Edit: removed edit comment.]
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 February 2018, 23:17:14 by nsmechkb »

Offline zslane

« Reply #311 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 12:14:53 »
I think centered legends are the only legends that look right (regardless of keycap shape); corner legends just look like a factory mistake rather than a design choice. However, when it comes to GMK Space Cadet specifically, I can let that go because I already have my deepest Space Cadet needs served by my Round 6 keycaps (which even GMK keycaps with centered + front printed legends can't begin to compare favorably with simply by virtue of being cylindrical). I only argue in favor of centered legends because it is what is (thematically and philosophically) right, not because it is what I most want or need from this set personally.

I do acknowledge the increase in cost that would go with making every legend, not just the alphas, centered and all-uppercase. In fact, doing that would likely push the set out of reach for most hobbyists, and on that basis alone I favor corner legends on the alphas and standard modifier legends (minus the icons if such molds already exist).

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #312 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 12:31:17 »

This set is already requiring new Alpha molds (afaik no other said has had these symbols) so by changing ONLY to centered alphas you're not adding to the cost. And you can't say it objectively looks bad people have different tastes.

I’m referring TO the centered legend modifiers. They look like trash. Look at the left edge of center justified legends. Look at tab. Look at shift. It’s all over the place.

On standard left justified legends you get a starting point. An anchor for the stagger of the board.

The keys on a standard gmk set are aligned like print media. Center justified is just lazy trash. There was so much thought put into the original placement.

I guess in the plus side if you ruin the set with centered legends, I get to save a **** ton of money, cause then I won’t be buying the set and I’m thinking I’d have to get at least 2 of every kit with CORRECTLY justified legends.

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #313 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 13:08:30 »

I’m referring TO the centered legend modifiers. They look like trash. Look at the left edge of center justified legends. Look at tab. Look at shift. It’s all over the place.

On standard left justified legends you get a starting point. An anchor for the stagger of the board.

The keys on a standard gmk set are aligned like print media. Center justified is just lazy trash. There was so much thought put into the original placement.

I guess in the plus side if you ruin the set with centered legends, I get to save a **** ton of money, cause then I won’t be buying the set and I’m thinking I’d have to get at least 2 of every kit with CORRECTLY justified legends.

Did you miss my entire point? I and others in this thread agree with you as far as centered mods vs left justified. But, you can have centered Alphas legends with off centered mods legends. Yeah it looks a bit odd with the combination of two different locations but to me it's better than having off centered alpha legends.

Lazy trash wtf are you even talking about this is a forum about keyboard/keycap designs nothing here is lazy we're having a discussion about the pros/cons of different designs.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #314 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 13:22:11 »

Did you miss my entire point? I and others in this thread agree with you as far as centered mods vs left justified. But, you can have centered Alphas legends with off centered mods legends. Yeah it looks a bit odd with the combination of two different locations but to me it's better than having off centered alpha legends.

Lazy trash wtf are you even talking about this is a forum about keyboard/keycap designs nothing here is lazy we're having a discussion about the pros/cons of different designs.

You just love bad ideas huh. I wasn’t considering mixed justification because that is 100x worse.

Center legends are bad design. I get it, you like them. But if you did mixed justification id sooner pay people to not buy the set than actually spend money on it.

Center legends are bad. Just say no.

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #315 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 13:37:14 »

You just love bad ideas huh. I wasn’t considering mixed justification because that is 100x worse.

Center legends are bad design. I get it, you like them. But if you did mixed justification id sooner pay people to not buy the set than actually spend money on it.

I don't really care for the way you rudely state your opinions as fact. The way you present your arguments makes it seem like you don't really care tbh, like this -

"I guess in the plus side if you ruin the set with centered legends, I get to save a **** ton of money"

Why should anyone consider your thoughts here at all? Its not based on any information or facts, just an opinion on a few options you've never even seen before, not even rendered correctly

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #316 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 13:50:31 »
Center legends will add cost, unless you half ass it and only center the alphabetical alphas, and leave numbers, function, numpad as cornered. Which is a horrible idea. Then you get into modifiers such as navigation keys which would look awkward as justified keys in comparison.. and cost gets totally out of hand. Stick with cornered and left justified.
keyboards.

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #317 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 14:03:43 »
Center legends will add cost, unless you half ass it and only center the alphabetical alphas, and leave numbers, function, numpad as cornered. Which is a horrible idea. Then you get into modifiers such as navigation keys which would look awkward as justified keys in comparison.. and cost gets totally out of hand. Stick with cornered and left justified.

That's a good point.

Some quick back of the napkin math is $180 for each extra mold, 30 new molds (might even be more), $10.8 dollars more for 500 people, $5.4 dollars more for 1000, and $3.6 more for 1500. That's a lot more significant than I'd originally have thought.

I guess i'll have to deal with the fact I think the symbols introduced in the alphas when not on the center axis look obtuse/awkward.

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #318 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 14:04:17 »

Mixed justification and everything centered (especially the mods) don't sound pretty to me either but I've never seen it and would never shoot down anyone's ideas without fully considering/exploring the possibility.

I actually thought the centered alphas looked good and that was one render of one layout with the legends inverted and without considering other mod options - look at all the 2u keys from the original space cadet, perhaps some of those legends could be borrowed to fix the font to key ratio that is off balance, as asura said, especially in the everything centered render.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #319 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 18:42:23 »

Currently this set is needing 26-33(3900€-4950€) custom molds due to the sublegends. Changing all alphas to centered would require an additional 7(1050€) molds for currently unmodified characters, 19(1350€) if you include numrow, 33(4950€) more if you include numpad as well. While the argument could be made that the alphas could be centered without the mods or numpad, choosing to ignore the numrow would look objectively incorrect and mismatched.

My $.02 concerning the completely unnecessary argument about centered legends: anyone that cares enough about space cadet to want it historically accurate or whatever argument they're using isn't going to be happy with a cherry profile mimicry anyhow, so I don't see a point in catering to them with unconventional centered legends that aren't going to look correct to anyone that enjoys cherry profile for its merits, especially when it would cost more for everyone else joining the GB to make the change. Someone used the argument that if the centered legends were done, they'd be available for future sets. That's great and all except that the centered legends would only be available with the lisp sublegends, making them absolutely useless to anyone that wants a set without them.

Centered legends have no place on cherry profile caps. The only people arguing this are the people that care more about copying something old and decrepit rather than adjusting and creating something new for people to enjoy.

Offline TechieWeirdo

« Reply #320 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 19:09:47 »
Any chance for compatibility with the Pearl keyboard? From what I'm seeing it just needs an R3 1.5u "Tab" key and a R3 1.5u "Return key".
b o a r d s

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #321 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 19:15:59 »

Currently this set is needing 26-33(3900€-4950€) custom molds due to the sublegends. Changing all alphas to centered would require an additional 7(1050€) molds for currently unmodified characters, 19(1350€) if you include numrow, 33(4950€) more if you include numpad as well. While the argument could be made that the alphas could be centered without the mods or numpad, choosing to ignore the numrow would look objectively incorrect and mismatched.

My $.02 concerning the completely unnecessary argument about centered legends: anyone that cares enough about space cadet to want it historically accurate or whatever argument they're using isn't going to be happy with a cherry profile mimicry anyhow, so I don't see a point in catering to them with unconventional centered legends that aren't going to look correct to anyone that enjoys cherry profile for its merits, especially when it would cost more for everyone else joining the GB to make the change. Someone used the argument that if the centered legends were done, they'd be available for future sets. That's great and all except that the centered legends would only be available with the lisp sublegends, making them absolutely useless to anyone that wants a set without them.

Centered legends have no place on cherry profile caps. The only people arguing this are the people that care more about copying something old and decrepit rather than adjusting and creating something new for people to enjoy.

You have a completely valid point about the cost. When I made that original argument I wasn't thinking properly about the ramifications cost wise.

However, you are absolutely mistaken in assuming that everyone who wants centered legends wants them because they want to copy something "old and decrepit". I want centered legends not because it's a better copy of the original set but because I think it looks better. I acknowledge that my interests to save money outweigh it though so I eagerly await the set as it was originally introduced.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #322 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 19:29:10 »
Any chance for compatibility with the Pearl keyboard? From what I'm seeing it just needs an R3 1.5u "Tab" key and a R3 1.5u "Return key".

Unfortunately for people who enjoy proper legends and proper profiles for all caps, the pearl was designed specifically with the re-purposing of 1.5u tab and 1.5u backslash/pipe in mind.  This was done to allow the board to be used with essentially any keyset, but had the inverse affect of ensuring it would basically never be fully compatible with any keyset since I don't think any other board uses 1.5u keys in both positions, meaning no set has ever included them. 
keyboards.

Offline TechieWeirdo

« Reply #323 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 19:43:53 »

Unfortunately for people who enjoy proper legends and proper profiles for all caps, the pearl was designed specifically with the re-purposing of 1.5u tab and 1.5u backslash/pipe in mind.  This was done to allow the board to be used with essentially any keyset, but had the inverse affect of ensuring it would basically never be fully compatible with any keyset since I don't think any other board uses 1.5u keys in both positions, meaning no set has ever included them. 

Oh well, such a shame. I really like this keyset and I would love to see proper legends and profiles on it... Thanks a lot. Though I believe that SA By the Sea has full compatibility for the Pearl.
b o a r d s

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #324 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 20:08:21 »

Oh well, such a shame. I really like this keyset and I would love to see proper legends and profiles on it... Thanks a lot. Though I believe that SA By the Sea has full compatibility for the Pearl.

But only this is GMK... :p

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #325 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 20:10:21 »
Isn't the blue alpha kit missing the row 1 tilde key?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #326 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 20:12:43 »

Just my thoughts: if it becomes a trend, sure, but I personally don't think it's worth doing if only one board supports it (even if it sold 100 or 10,000).

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #327 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 22:19:51 »

You're right it does.
keyboards.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #328 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 22:40:36 »

I'd just like to point out that the current 40's kit for Neon Gelatin Evangelism includes R3 1.5 Enter and Fn keys, specifically so pearl could use it without that ugly hump :P

I don't really care for the way you rudely state your opinions as fact. The way you present your arguments makes it seem like you don't really care tbh, like this -

"I guess in the plus side if you ruin the set with centered legends, I get to save a **** ton of money"

Why should anyone consider your thoughts here at all? Its not based on any information or facts, just an opinion on a few options you've never even seen before, not even rendered correctly

I'm sorry I didn't realize everything I said that didn't implicitly include the words "in my opinion" was going to be taken as a statement of fact.

So please allow me to be clear.

The GMK legends are EXTREMELY intentionally designed. It wasn't just some lazy thing.

When I say mixed justification is 100x worse, first I am NOT being literal, but rather hyperbolic, but I am 100% positive if you took a mixed justification render and a standard cherry render and brought them the a design professor 10:10 would tell you the mixed justification was wrong.

By justifying to the left, you create an anchor, a starting point for your perspective. It creates the illusion of the entire layout being aligned because it STARTS aligned. You have to remember, we have trained our brains to read from a corner across, not from the middle. Good design doesn't just change what you see, but how you actually look at it.

You also risk doing things like creating a river or increasing the difficulty for dyslexic people to be able to properly read the legends (this may not matter to you, but a good designer will think about such things).

I also think the argument can easily be made that mixed justifications breaks one of the core design principals, consistency. An inconsistent design, by my measure, IS a bad design.

To me mixed justification is not even worth considering, and while it somehow offended you, I do regularly buy 2x+ of MOST gmk sets, so making this center justified WOULD save me a great deal of money given how much 2 full kits is likely to cost with the kit sizes and number of kits already being discussed here.

So now if we ignore mixed justification we can begin to look at our other options.

We could attempt fully justified, and I actually think for the right 60% board this could look decent, you could left align left mods, right align right mods and center align all the alphas, the problem there is that as soon as you scale PAST 60%, you are right back where you started, so then the question becomes which layout do you design for? Do you center align the right 60% legend and right align the numpad legends? Again. None of these options are consistent and all would ultimately still result in a mixed justification layout.

That ONLY leaves center justified only, but that means you need new legend plates for every single key on the board AND you are breaking compatibility with every single other GMK set being produced. It also opens the door to other problems, sure, with 2 legends you can add center justification on an alpha key without messing with vertical alignment, but what of single legend keys? Is your plan to run this set, spend a ton creating new legends just for center alignment and then never ever using any of those mods again? Or do you think you would want to make a non-space cadet alpha set too? So not just 1 expensive set, but 2 to make all that expense really worthwhile, otherwise you are spending a ton for a single run kit that will never be seen again.

You also ignore that as a standard GMK set, this should have no real issues hitting a decent moq, changing to something that is foreign to GMK buyers (since let's face it, not THAT many people are going to suddenly decide they need $200 in GMK keys just because center alignment) you risk alienating them. And with a kit like this, you need big numbers to cover the new legend costs.

So I'm curious, other than you personally being a fan of centered legends, what are the other upsides? What are the other benefits of using centered legends that negate and balance against the costs and risks? Are there any?

Offline mbsurfer

« Reply #329 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 09:27:26 »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #330 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 09:35:03 »
For anyone wanting SA or centered legends:

Symbiosis R2 (full sculpture) in the works
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=94288.0;topicseen

I plan to purchase both sets :)

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #331 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 10:38:35 »

I'd just like to point out that the current 40's kit for Neon Gelatin Evangelism includes R3 1.5 Enter and Fn keys, specifically so pearl could use it without that ugly hump :P

I'm sorry I didn't realize everything I said that didn't implicitly include the words "in my opinion" was going to be taken as a statement of fact.

So please allow me to be clear.

The GMK legends are EXTREMELY intentionally designed. It wasn't just some lazy thing.

When I say mixed justification is 100x worse, first I am NOT being literal, but rather hyperbolic, but I am 100% positive if you took a mixed justification render and a standard cherry render and brought them the a design professor 10:10 would tell you the mixed justification was wrong.

By justifying to the left, you create an anchor, a starting point for your perspective. It creates the illusion of the entire layout being aligned because it STARTS aligned. You have to remember, we have trained our brains to read from a corner across, not from the middle. Good design doesn't just change what you see, but how you actually look at it.

You also risk doing things like creating a river or increasing the difficulty for dyslexic people to be able to properly read the legends (this may not matter to you, but a good designer will think about such things).

I also think the argument can easily be made that mixed justifications breaks one of the core design principals, consistency. An inconsistent design, by my measure, IS a bad design.

To me mixed justification is not even worth considering, and while it somehow offended you, I do regularly buy 2x+ of MOST gmk sets, so making this center justified WOULD save me a great deal of money given how much 2 full kits is likely to cost with the kit sizes and number of kits already being discussed here.

So now if we ignore mixed justification we can begin to look at our other options.

We could attempt fully justified, and I actually think for the right 60% board this could look decent, you could left align left mods, right align right mods and center align all the alphas, the problem there is that as soon as you scale PAST 60%, you are right back where you started, so then the question becomes which layout do you design for? Do you center align the right 60% legend and right align the numpad legends? Again. None of these options are consistent and all would ultimately still result in a mixed justification layout.

That ONLY leaves center justified only, but that means you need new legend plates for every single key on the board AND you are breaking compatibility with every single other GMK set being produced. It also opens the door to other problems, sure, with 2 legends you can add center justification on an alpha key without messing with vertical alignment, but what of single legend keys? Is your plan to run this set, spend a ton creating new legends just for center alignment and then never ever using any of those mods again? Or do you think you would want to make a non-space cadet alpha set too? So not just 1 expensive set, but 2 to make all that expense really worthwhile, otherwise you are spending a ton for a single run kit that will never be seen again.

You also ignore that as a standard GMK set, this should have no real issues hitting a decent moq, changing to something that is foreign to GMK buyers (since let's face it, not THAT many people are going to suddenly decide they need $200 in GMK keys just because center alignment) you risk alienating them. And with a kit like this, you need big numbers to cover the new legend costs.

So I'm curious, other than you personally being a fan of centered legends, what are the other upsides? What are the other benefits of using centered legends that negate and balance against the costs and risks? Are there any?

Ahh, that's better, no offense taken:)

I completely understand and mostly agree with your point of view. I didn't originally consider mixed justification either, but I've never seen it and especially since I feel the current design had some inconsistency, I couldn't dismiss it on that basis. I mostly didn't like you mocking that other guy and/or anyone interested in centered legends. If you look back to my original reply in this thread, I only consider centered legends on the basis of Oblotzky saying he wants to replicate the original closely and while I think it could look good in a variation of centered, (and still hit MOQ) I definitely would be happy with a full cherry style as well, in contrast to what Donut said earlier... Alas, if centered legends will make this set much more expensive, I think it probably best to avoid them as this will be a big set already and that fact combined with the foreign design may turn many people away and I'm sure Oblotzky wouldn't want that

Thanks for taking the time mate  :thumb:

Offline Helldrop

« Reply #332 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 10:43:29 »

I'm totally with you.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #333 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 10:58:15 »
Isn't the blue alpha kit missing the row 1 tilde key?

Available in both the Base and Ergopreonic kits already.

There'll most likely be a 40% kit, gonna work that out on a calm weekend.

I'll be chiming in on the legend debate at a later time, don't have the time for it right now sorry!

Offline zslane

« Reply #334 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 12:49:35 »
...anyone that cares enough about space cadet to want it historically accurate or whatever argument they're using isn't going to be happy with a cherry profile mimicry anyhow...

That is a good point, and I agree with the premise, however I disagree with the conclusion. The above is not sufficient reason, in my view, to avoid honoring the original legend design, which is a good idea regardless of the style of keycap in question, particularly if you're going to call the set GMK Space Cadet.

And then this is where you go off the deep end. Centered legends can go on any keycap, Cherry or otherwise. It is only within the walls of an entombed mind/imagination that the above notion appears to make any sense whatsoever. The Space Cadet keyboard is old, yes, but it is a classic; it's called the "holy grail" of vintage keyboards for a reason, and there are no keyboards from the past I can think of that deserve being so reverently honored with contemporary replica keysets. By simply providing legend accuracy (in addition to the colorway), people are getting something new to enjoy. Compared to all the GMK sets out there, this would surely stand out as new and different.

...changing to something that is foreign to GMK buyers (since let's face it, not THAT many people are going to suddenly decide they need $200 in GMK keys just because center alignment) you risk alienating them.

The Space Cadet keyboard itself is foreign to most keyboard users, not just GMK buyers. This set shouldn't worry itself over who it alienates, rather, it should really only concern itself with appealing to its primary target audience, which is hobbyists who know and appreciate the original Space Cadet (whether they are frequent GMK buyers or not). All other priorities (apart from reaching MOQ) should be secondary.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #335 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 13:00:11 »
...anyone that cares enough about space cadet to want it historically accurate or whatever argument they're using isn't going to be happy with a cherry profile mimicry anyhow...

That is a good point, and I agree with the premise, however I disagree with the conclusion. The above is not sufficient reason, in my view, to avoid honoring the original legend design, which is a good idea regardless of the style of keycap in question, particularly if you're going to call the set GMK Space Cadet.

And then this is where you go off the deep end. Centered legends can go on any keycap, Cherry or otherwise. It is only within the walls of an entombed mind/imagination that the above notion appears to make any sense whatsoever. The Space Cadet keyboard is old, yes, but it is a classic; it's called the "holy grail" of vintage keyboards for a reason, and there are no keyboards from the past I can think of that deserve being so reverently honored with contemporary replica keysets. By simply providing legend accuracy (in addition to the colorway), people are getting something new to enjoy. Compared to all the GMK sets out there, this would surely stand out as new and different.

...changing to something that is foreign to GMK buyers (since let's face it, not THAT many people are going to suddenly decide they need $200 in GMK keys just because center alignment) you risk alienating them.

The Space Cadet keyboard itself is foreign to most keyboard users, not just GMK buyers. This set shouldn't worry itself over who it alienates, rather, it should really only concern itself with appealing to its primary target audience, which is hobbyists who know and appreciate the original Space Cadet (whether they are frequent GMK buyers or not). All other priorities (apart from reaching MOQ) should be secondary.

MD isn’t in the business of pleasing hobbyists. Laser was not successful because of them.

And while you as a hobbyist may be a fan of the centered legends, I hate them. I’m not the only one. What exactly is it about your opinion that makes it more valid than those who disagree? What makes it more valid than those who outnumber you?

Your argument seems to be “who cares if most people won’t buy it with centers legends, the few of us who want it this way would be extremely happy”.

You understand the reason Laser was affordable was because there were thousands of people ordering it right?

Also, where does it end? If you are gonna go that far, why don’t we just increase set price a couple hundred or thousand per set and get gmk to make spherical molds. But then they are too short, so might as well get them to make GMK SA, but then we are missing the front print legends, gotta fix that too. And so on and so on.

What about the centered legends makes you think adding them when the majority don’t want them, and given we already know people will buy offset legend sets with characters they don’t know is a good idea?

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #336 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 13:56:03 »
--snip--

--snip--
--snip--
--snip--

--snip--

MD isn’t in the business of pleasing hobbyists. Laser was not successful because of them.

And while you as a hobbyist may be a fan of the centered legends, I hate them. I’m not the only one. What exactly is it about your opinion that makes it more valid than those who disagree? What makes it more valid than those who outnumber you?

Your argument seems to be “who cares if most people won’t buy it with centers legends, the few of us who want it this way would be extremely happy”.

You understand the reason Laser was affordable was because there were thousands of people ordering it right?

Also, where does it end? If you are gonna go that far, why don’t we just increase set price a couple hundred or thousand per set and get gmk to make spherical molds. But then they are too short, so might as well get them to make GMK SA, but then we are missing the front print legends, gotta fix that too. And so on and so on.

What about the centered legends makes you think adding them when the majority don’t want them, and given we already know people will buy offset legend sets with characters they don’t know is a good idea?

I don't mean to butt in but NOW you're arguing that his argument is wrong because he is stating his opinion?? It doesn't take much effort to read your previous 5 replies to get some insane quotes where you go into depth trying to argue that your opinion/preference for off-centered legends is grounded in some kind of fact beyond preference. " GMK legends are EXTREMELY intentionally designed" " increasing the difficulty for dyslexic people to be able to properly read the legends (this may not matter to you, but a good designer will think about such things)" "Center legends are bad design." "You have to remember, we have trained our brains to read from a corner across, not from the middle."

Get the **** out of here with your hypocrisy. Either it's a preference thing, and he's perfectly justified in stating his opinion for why he thinks centered will do well. Or, it's a matter of left justified being somehow "objectively" better in which case you can't dismiss his counter arguments as just stating opinion.

Slippery slope fallacy we're not discussing doing any of those things. This debate is centered entirely on center vs left justified text, not any of the other things you're talking about.

I don't think it's been clearly established offset legends is the majority opinion has it?

To that end I will drop this. I've made my opinion clear. I recognize the cost is high to the point where it's probably not worth it. Let's avoid clogging the whole thread with a personal back and forth.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 February 2018, 14:09:46 by Acereconkeys »

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #337 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 14:19:41 »
Yikes what a mess

I don't know for sure, but I'm p sure the point of this set is to do the Space Cadet colorway/theme in GMK/Cherry profile styling.

I'd much prefer the original top-left justified render style, as it's absolutely more true to the GMK/Cherry profile aesthetic style. Centered legends aren't really a thing at all with the profile, so it doesn't make sense (to me, at least) to stray away from the styling that so many people love this specific profile for.

« Last Edit: Wed, 28 February 2018, 14:21:38 by hineybush »

Offline zslane

« Reply #338 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 14:21:11 »
MD isn’t in the business of pleasing hobbyists.

Somehow I think MD themselves would disagree with you there.

The name of the proposed keycap set ("Space Cadet") is where the validation stems. If it isn't going to aim for as much authenticity as technologically possible (and economically feasible), then it should perhaps use a different name.

My argument is that it is a worthwhile exercise to see if it can reach MOQ with centered legends. If it can, then there are no barriers to production, and therefore no intrinsic need to reach out to those who don't care that this is a Space Cadet keycap set, just to insure it can get made.

Also, where does it end? If you are gonna go that far, why don’t we just increase set price a couple hundred or thousand per set and get gmk to make spherical molds.

Well, I'd love to see another manufacturer get into the spherical game. Competition and shorter production backlogs are a good thing for the hobby. This set doesn't have to be the set that drives such an endeavor, but it is a worthy one nonetheless. And even if it was the set to do so, the cost wouldn't be that high; yes it would be higher, but GMK would amortize the cost of the molds over future sets, not just the first.

Not every keycap set is going to appeal to "the majority", nor should every keycap set even attempt to do so. That is far too limiting an approach to take. The first concern should be hitting MOQ, and only when that can't be achieved should the vision for a set be compromised by "appealing to the masses". But even then, watering down the concept should only occur in small steps, so that the fewest compromises necessary to achieve MOQ are made.

tl;dr - Not every set needs to--or should--aim for mass appeal, and certainly not a set with "Space Cadet" in its name.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #339 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 14:28:06 »

The name of the proposed keycap set ("Space Cadet") is where the validation stems. If it isn't going to aim for as much authenticity as technologically possible (and economically feasible), then it should perhaps use a different name.

I don't see the logic in this - because it's based on Space Cadet, it absolutely has to have centered legends? If it doesn't, it shouldn't be called Space Cadet? With that logic, other multi-profile sets like Dolch and Hyperfuse (and others) are "wrong" since they aren't all the same. People choose different profiles based on the quirks associated with them, primarily feel and look - some like how GMK/Cherry look, some prefer SA. That's fine, however it doesn't mean one is "better" than other other.

The centered legends work better on the spherical profiles of SA or DSA imo, since the text is finer and sometimes smaller. If this is going to be done in the classic Cherry profile style, I'd much prefer it to match other sublegended sets like the OG Cherry doubleshot sets or recent renditions. It wouldn't make as much sense to copy a completely different profile's positioning when Cherry profile has such a distinct look.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #340 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 14:47:28 »
I don't mean to butt in but NOW you're arguing that his argument is wrong because he is stating his opinion?? It doesn't take much effort to read your previous 5 replies to get some insane quotes where you go into depth trying to argue that your opinion/preference for off-centered legends is grounded in some kind of fact beyond preference. " GMK legends are EXTREMELY intentionally designed" " increasing the difficulty for dyslexic people to be able to properly read the legends (this may not matter to you, but a good designer will think about such things)" "Center legends are bad design." "You have to remember, we have trained our brains to read from a corner across, not from the middle."

Get the **** out of here with your hypocrisy. Either it's a preference thing, and he's perfectly justified in stating his opinion for why he thinks centered will do well. Or, it's a matter of left justified being somehow "objectively" better in which case you can't dismiss his counter arguments as just stating opinion.

How is something being bad for dyslexic people an opinion? Do you read from the middle out? Does any language work that way? Most are left to right, some are right to left, what language has writing from the middle out?

And he doesn't think centered legends would do well, he just thinks they would possibly hit moq and we should aim for that possibility. Are you seriously trying to argue that centered legends would sell better than standard GMK ones?

You seem to think I'm saying even if the majority want centered legends we should do justified ones, and that IS NOT my stance. If the majority want it that way, I will gladly pass on buying the set to allow the greater portion of the community to be happy. I have plenty of GMK sets to choose from. His argument seems to more be, screw the community at large, focus only on the die hard enthusiasts who can't be sated by anything less than a "perfect" replica, pricing be damned.

I also don't know why we are arguing this to begin with, the designer already said he wasn't keen on the centered legends.

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #341 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 14:52:18 »
Hey did you guys see the IC for Symbiosis R2?

Can we agree on justified GMK style legends yet?

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #342 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 14:59:34 »

You are incorrect, on quite a few points...

If this argument (though, personally, I'd choose the word "discussion") was unnecessary, we wouldn't be having it. Clearly there are interested parties on both sides.

Some people are interested in a visually accurate (legends, as much as possible) but tactilely superior (IMHO) experience. Making a comment that amounts to 'just use another profile' is particularly lame and ignores the fact that the legends have nothing to do with how the keys feel. Many people prefer cherry profile and I really dislike typing on SA in particular.

My statement about having them available for the community to use was specifically with regard to the numrow, which should have been clear:
"I'm neither for nor against the centered mods but I'd suggest that doing so would create value for the community. The centered mods and numbers could then be used by other sets. Perhaps another group buy could do centered alphas and then the community would have both centered and standard GMK molds to work with."

There are already caps from GMK with centered legends, not alphas obviously, but caps with centered legends none the less so saying "Centered legends have no place on cherry profile caps." is a particularly weak argument.

Offline floristfran

• I Wanted a foam bath and i got a slimy eel bath
« Reply #343 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 15:18:31 »
so very interested

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #344 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 15:34:27 »

You are incorrect, on quite a few points...

If this argument (though, personally, I'd choose the word "discussion") was unnecessary, we wouldn't be having it. Clearly there are interested parties on both sides.

Some people are interested in a visually accurate (legends, as much as possible) but tactilely superior (IMHO) experience. Making a comment that amounts to 'just use another profile' is particularly lame and ignores the fact that the legends have nothing to do with how the keys feel. Many people prefer cherry profile and I really dislike typing on SA in particular.

My statement about having them available for the community to use was specifically with regard to the numrow, which should have been clear:
"I'm neither for nor against the centered mods but I'd suggest that doing so would create value for the community. The centered mods and numbers could then be used by other sets. Perhaps another group buy could do centered alphas and then the community would have both centered and standard GMK molds to work with."

There are already caps from GMK with centered legends, not alphas obviously, but caps with centered legends none the less so saying "Centered legends have no place on cherry profile caps." is a particularly weak argument.

I very much agree with your first two points. Which GMK caps had centered legends?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #345 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 15:38:33 »
I very much agree with your first two points. Which GMK caps had centered legends?

Maybe novelties but can't think of any so wanting to be proven wrong :eek:

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #346 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 15:39:10 »

That was my only after-thought as well

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #347 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 16:04:04 »

That was my only after-thought as well

Yeah those are about it. Also worth mentioning that the Esc, Fn row, Nav keys, and other mods are left-center..

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #348 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 16:08:21 »

some keys on the bottom row, windows logos, menu, "control," and i think there's one other

arguably full caps lock

pause, prtsc, scroll lock (but it's left aligned)

but that's it, nothing super notable, nothing that requires readability

Offline zslane

« Reply #349 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 16:11:33 »
Which GMK caps had centered legends?

That Rebirth set that JChan ran through Keyclack is Cherry profile with center legends, as is the WhiteFox set that I:C runs their boards with. Just to name two.