Author Topic: Vertical 1x2(or2.25) key cap to fit over 2 switches?  (Read 2756 times)

Offline seth

Vertical 1x2(or2.25) key cap to fit over 2 switches?
« on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 05:04:26 »
Hello, guys

I just registered for an account here on geekhack.org :D

It's nice to meet you guys.  I know it's my first thread but I have to start by asking the following question.

I heard from my fellow acquintances that there are keys, usually found in POS keyboards that are shaped like the "numpad enter/+" key(probably identical in size) and are designed to fit over two cherry key switches vertically.

I would like to find this key because,  I hate pressing down on my Insert key by mistake and have that 3 seconds UNDO moment.  Plus I like the way the longer Delete key feels(I used to have a membrane Logitech keyboard that had such feature)

Anyone have them in possession for sale or have a link to a keyboard on sale with such key cap? I would like to have them produced in bulk so I don't have to worry about them for the rest of my life :D

Thanks!
Seth

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 06:37:01 »
It may be difficult to find one that isn't flat and has a curved key top. If you find one, then I believe then I think that it is likely that it has the wrong height.

Most keys on POS keyboards are flat and wide, and made to be relegendable, with two parts: a bottom and a flat top. The top is either clear for showing a piece of paper underneath, or opaque with a printed generic label.
The POS brands with Cherry keys that I know of are Tipro (low keys), Jarltech (somewhat low keys) and Access.
You may find relegendable keys also on some keyboards from Cherry (high keys) and Genovation (high keys).

Another thing is that you would have to disable the key somehow. If your keyboard has NKRO then maybe you could do it in software.
To do it in hardware is more tricky. You would have to open up the switch and cut down the sliding part that touches the metal "leaf" and put a spacer inside the switch to keep the "cross point" apart, because the slider does not do that any more.
I would also advice you to replace the springs with weaker ones. A key with two switches is much heavier.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 September 2011, 06:47:06 by Findecanor »

Offline seth

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 08:29:34 »
Quote from: Findecanor;421443
It may be difficult to find one that isn't flat and has a curved key top. If you find one, then I believe then I think that it is likely that it has the wrong height.

Most keys on POS keyboards are flat and wide, and made to be relegendable, with two parts: a bottom and a flat top. The top is either clear for showing a piece of paper underneath, or opaque with a printed generic label.
The POS brands with Cherry keys that I know of are Tipro (low keys), Jarltech (somewhat low keys) and Access.
You may find relegendable keys also on some keyboards from Cherry (high keys) and Genovation (high keys).

Another thing is that you would have to disable the key somehow. If your keyboard has NKRO then maybe you could do it in software.
To do it in hardware is more tricky. You would have to open up the switch and cut down the sliding part that touches the metal "leaf" and put a spacer inside the switch to keep the "cross point" apart, because the slider does not do that any more.
I would also advice you to replace the springs with weaker ones. A key with two switches is much heavier.

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to reply to this thread.

Your reply was very helpful.  I was skeptical about forces required to press down two switches with 1 key.  It seems i was on the rightfully doubtful there :D

I am looking forward to use such key caps on a customized keyboard made within Korean KBD enthusiasts community.  So as far as customizing key bindings and nulling a few keys isn't really problematic :D

Thanks again for your reply.

Looks like I have some key cap hunting to do

Offline Minskleip

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 03 October 2011, 14:20:35 »
Round 4 POS kit in the group buys forum!
What\'s in the back of my car? A cdr lol

Split Tipro keyboard with R3 keycaps

Offline Ascaii

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 06:24:54 »
I actually have several different types of keys like this. Pm me and ill send you a pic with what I have.

Your best bet will be to remove the spring from the second switch. This will result in a continuous ON from the switch, unless you put a small piece of paper, tape, whatever between the contacts.
"Mechanical keyboards are like pokemon:
you start with one, and then you wanna catch em all."