Author Topic: Car Thread  (Read 643642 times)

Offline bliss

Re: Car Thread
« Reply #2950 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 03:53:12 »
I also really love Doug's channel. I just wish he made vintage car videos (30s-60s), even if it was just once a month. It’s not going to be as popular as a new Ferrari, but c’mon I wanna see a C2 corvette or something.

My fave vid is also the Lancia Delta Integrale. Well, it’s my dream car, so I’m biased.

Had a test drive with a Delta Integrale when the 16V version came out

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

My father was regular customer at the car dealership at the time. They also had an autograph session with Franz Wittmann there :thumb:

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2951 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 08:40:32 »
Curious what the GH opinions are on the Range Rover Sport SVR vs the Jeep Trackhawk

All new Range Rovers are trash. They're terribly made.

If you want to do anything more than check the fluid levels you have to separate the body from the chassis. Plus their dealerships are seemingly useless, unable and unwilling to fix any problems with them.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #2952 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 20:37:28 »
Curious what the GH opinions are on the Range Rover Sport SVR vs the Jeep Trackhawk

All new Range Rovers are trash. They're terribly made.

If you want to do anything more than check the fluid levels you have to separate the body from the chassis. Plus their dealerships are seemingly useless, unable and unwilling to fix any problems with them.

Why do people buy range rovers anyways ? Boggles me

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #2953 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 12:28:41 »
Photo of mustang here:

How does it look

Offline iri

« Reply #2954 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 15:29:43 »
What's this wiring in the front of the car?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Sniping

« Reply #2955 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 23:36:39 »

lol

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #2956 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 16:32:14 »

Idk what you mean

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #2957 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 17:54:49 »

Idk what you mean

He's kidding about the quick edit of the license plate: makes it look like some sort of weird wiring.  Very good looking Mustang.
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #2958 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 07:30:45 »

Idk what you mean

He's kidding about the quick edit of the license plate: makes it look like some sort of weird wiring.  Very good looking Mustang.

thx

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2959 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 08:40:14 »
A few years ago I had a next-door neighbor with a similar Mustang, a 1968 Fastback, burgundy color. One-owner, he had bought it new in 1968, and kept it all original, even down to a Ford battery.

After the first few years, he had kept it in the garage all the time and only brought it out on sunny Saturday afternoons.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2960 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 23:09:20 »
Always been a huge Lancia fan, especially the Stratos, and this New Stratos is actually really really nice. Beautiful and true to the original, while still updating the mechanics and look to a more modern song.
Beautiful ****in' car, a shame the only people who will ever own one will never drive them and keep them locked in barns and garages like chained slaves. Those people can go to Hell!

Very rare, very expensive, very beautiful, and to own one you need to sacrifice a Ferrari 430 Scuderia.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2961 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 04:42:05 »
One of the greatest interiors ever crafted for any interior in the history of automobiles. Totally gauche, but somehow it all works beautifully. And that skeleton shift is the bees tits!

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #2962 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 07:46:30 »
Always been a huge Lancia fan, especially the Stratos, and this New Stratos is actually really really nice. Beautiful and true to the original, while still updating the mechanics and look to a more modern song.
Beautiful ****in' car, a shame the only people who will ever own one will never drive them and keep them locked in barns and garages like chained slaves. Those people can go to Hell!

Very rare, very expensive, very beautiful, and to own one you need to sacrifice a Ferrari 430 Scuderia.
Holy ****, that thing is **** ugly  :)) To each their own luckily.

I mean...

It tries to have the cockpit of a Koenigsegg, the tail end of a Mustang and I don't even know what the front is about. Maybe it's lens distortion or whatever, but the proportions seem to be completely out of whack as well.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 May 2020, 07:48:20 by Brammm87 »
pls gief bbv2

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2963 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 07:53:54 »

Holy ****, that thing is **** ugly  :)) To each their own luckily.

I mean...
Show Image

It tries to have the cockpit of a Koenigsegg, the tail end of a Mustang and I don't even know what the front is about. Maybe it's lens distortion or whatever, but the proportions seem to be completely out of whack as well.

I mean, you are aware of the original Stratos' wheelbase right? Aside from popup headlights it's pretty dead-on. Perhaps you just think the Stratos originale is ugly, but that's the way it's supposed to look. It's a rally monster, one of the best ever.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2964 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 18:04:45 »
What do people think about the Toyota Sera? I'm strongly considering importing one from Japan as a daily driver.

Offline JP

« Reply #2965 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 09:28:02 »
What do people think about the Toyota Sera? I'm strongly considering importing one from Japan as a daily driver.
Show Image

It won't won't fare too well in a crash with all the big soccer mom SUV's on the road, lacks storage capacity, right hand-drive, doesn't have much under the hood, and a stiff wind will likely knock you off the road but you get badass lambo doors. You might might need to carry a big stick to chase off all the ladies. This would be a great car for weekend drives and car meetups.

https://drivetribe.com/p/heres-why-i-want-a-toyota-sera-Epejy4qwR7mdQOii7o7mQQ?iid=LkiVdJO4TuaVv2EcTSl9Aw
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline JP

« Reply #2966 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 11:24:18 »
Got a new (to me) daily non-driver  :) this week  ;D

245369-0

Offline tentboy

« Reply #2967 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 08:23:49 »

Good choice.  I daily a 2015 base model Civic and its been nothing but affordable and reliable

Offline tentboy

« Reply #2968 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 08:25:36 »
Racetracks are opening back up woohoo.  HPDE weekend yesterday.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2969 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 20:46:06 »

Got a new (to me) daily non-driver this week

I am on my second Odyssey. I had previously been driving Toyotas since the late 1980s, but Honda has won my undying admiration for the quality of their products and comfortable design.

That was how I felt about my Volvos in the 1970s-80s, but gas mileage and repair costs finally wore me out.
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline JP

« Reply #2970 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 21:48:31 »

Good choice.  I daily a 2015 base model Civic and its been nothing but affordable and reliable

:thumb:

I am on my second Odyssey. I had previously been driving Toyotas since the late 1980s, but Honda has won my undying admiration for the quality of their products and comfortable design.

That was how I felt about my Volvos in the 1970s-80s, but gas mileage and repair costs finally wore me out.

It's a bit of fate that I ended up with a Honda. I took a friend with me to take a look at a Hyundai Sonata. I test drove that and it was alright but wasn't a fan of the responsiveness of the steering but was something you could get used to. Later though we found some hidden damage and the salesman was really shady about the situation. Had the car been exactly as advertised I'd probably have bought it without test driving other cars which would have been a mistake.

My buddy suggested we check out some cars at a Honda dealership nearby. I ended up test driving the Accord Sport and the experience was a night and day difference. Such an easy to drive car and just a lot better quality than the Sonata I looked at. I love the carbon fiber looking bits of the interior and the sharp looking wheels of the Sport version. Everyone says Honda's are reliable so I'm hoping that's the case. The older ones are infamous for high mileage but I feel like these newer ones won't last as long with this whole Direct Injection thing which most newer cars seem to have to get better efficiency. I've heard that Honda makes some of the best engines out there but Toyota has the edge as they have a system to clean the intake valves in their GDI engines so no carbon buildup to worry about.

Walk-through of one similar to mine but mines not the special edition.

« Last Edit: Mon, 22 June 2020, 21:54:21 by JP »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2971 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 13:29:02 »

It's a bit of fate that I ended up with a Honda.

In my long lifetime I have had at least a dozen cars, and my (3) 4-cylinder Camrys and (2) Odyssey vans have been the most reliable and long-lasting cars that I have owned.

My daughter has a 2007 Sonata that has been a good solid car, if not exiting, and it is still going strong.

Offline bliss

« Reply #2972 on: Sat, 27 June 2020, 12:28:04 »

Offline iri

« Reply #2973 on: Sat, 27 June 2020, 15:59:14 »
Ahhh, Kopeyka!
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Sniping

« Reply #2974 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 16:07:26 »
oh **** ! never posted my car before. it's a 135i. just remembered to show it off because i've been thinking about selling it HAHA.

248411-0

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2975 on: Sun, 09 August 2020, 19:16:33 »
The Starion/Conquest has got to be in the running for Most '80s Interior Ever, and I love it  :-*

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #2976 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 11:43:17 »
The Starion/Conquest has got to be in the running for Most '80s Interior Ever, and I love it  :-*
Show Image

I LOVE that interior so much I can smell it! Those rounded angles really flick my Bic. It reminds me of my friend's dad's Nissan 200SX. That was the first car I ever heard talk...and what a sexy voice it had.  :p
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline Willtato

• I like small Keyboards
« Reply #2977 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 03:40:02 »
I'm under the impression that light is best is the best approach for me (and zingy engine notes).  I used to want an R32 and s2000, and while I still look at the S2k, I realise that the Mx5 2.0 (2019+) would probably be the best for me - light, modern and has all the comforts one would need, something that lotus don't do. 

I would love to also consider alpine, but it's a bit too long for what it is imo, and there's no manual, which is very important.

On a different note, I would have imported a Honda n-box in a heartbeat if it had a manual transmission.  I just love those boxy looks.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #2978 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 11:19:47 »
253138-0
The message body was left empty. No words to explain anything.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 October 2020, 21:24:28 by Snowdog993 »

Offline Sniping

« Reply #2979 on: Sun, 04 October 2020, 00:40:59 »
My friend is out of town for the week and he handed over the keys to his e46 m3 to me. man the s54 motor is so addicting to drive. he has nice aftermarket muffler that's super satisfying when you run through the gear. it makes power in a completely different way than my n54 135i and the m3 is just super rewarding to redline every damn time, whereas the newer engine setups start falling off in power after 5500rpm. i've been m3 hunting for the past few days because of this in hopes of swapping cars but alas i can't find a good one at a good price. i'm curious to try an s2000 or swapped civic since it'll burn through less tires and brake pads but those are also hard to find.

in other news there's also been this ae86 with an sr5 to gts conversion up for sale recently and it's killing me. i don't even consider the ae86 since it's such an expensive platform now but this car was a great deal. it'll definitely get sold though.

Offline s0faking

« Reply #2980 on: Sun, 04 October 2020, 05:30:19 »
Here's a photo of my S3. Got it last December with possibly the worst timing ever  :D :D :D

252996-0

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2981 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 20:06:30 »
What do people think about the 20201 Bronco? I hated it at first, but the more I see and read about it the greater is my urge to get it doorless and topless and go mudding. It looks functional and fun, a shame most Americans will only use it to pick up the kids and get groceries.

Offline mariopepper

« Reply #2982 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 13:36:37 »
Like for E46 M3 :D That's the car I've tried to ship across the country once. I remember when I bought it in 2018 and finally found a car shipping company at howtotransport with an oppurnity to make my car insured due the shipping process. I've done it quickly but after all the car was too expensive to keep  so I sold it 4 months later..
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 October 2020, 11:53:17 by mariopepper »

Offline fluxlab

« Reply #2983 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 13:03:08 »
Have a 2018 mazda3 but I’m trying to get a na Miata and k swap it!

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #2984 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 15:30:24 »
What do people think about the 20201 Bronco? I hated it at first, but the more I see and read about it the greater is my urge to get it doorless and topless and go mudding. It looks functional and fun, a shame most Americans will only use it to pick up the kids and get groceries.
Kind of reminds me of the Jeep Nacho.

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #2985 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 09:17:23 »
Got an email from the dealer saying that today marks my anniversary with my Skoda Octavia.Still the best car I've owned by a long way, another three years and I will have to move on though.
DELL AT102W Black Alps | IBM Model M 122 | Matias Tactile Pro 4

Offline yui

« Reply #2986 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 09:53:40 »
Got an email from the dealer saying that today marks my anniversary with my Skoda Octavia.Still the best car I've owned by a long way, another three years and I will have to move on though.
what??? my car is 28 years old, i have owned it for now about 3 years and no one is telling me that it can't do more? why would you change car every 4 years? seems quite backward and wasteful (and pls do not come at me about consumption it is much lighter than the modern version and so actually uses less gas)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline iri

« Reply #2987 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 10:46:52 »
what??? my car is 28 years old, i have owned it for now about 3 years and no one is telling me that it can't do more? why would you change car every 4 years? seems quite backward and wasteful (and pls do not come at me about consumption it is much lighter than the modern version and so actually uses less gas)
What about CO2 though?

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #2988 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 10:57:24 »
Show Image

Looks a bit more early to mid 90's to me ;)

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2989 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 12:54:30 »
Show Image

I'm partial to the Grand National:

I mean how can you not love that shift lever
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2990 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 17:03:51 »

It pushes the ashtray too far back.

It's easy to forget that speedometers from mid-1970s to mid-1980s stopped very low. I could peg the 85 mph limit even with my 1983 Escort 4-cylinder.

In contrast, my 2007 Honda Odyssey registers 160 mph - yes, I am likely to hit that ....

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2991 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 23:44:07 »

your priorities are amiss
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2992 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 23:45:56 »

your priorities are amiss

I mean, we are talking about the '80s here. Look at ANY vintage Italian car, ashtray is top priority 100%. I've seen cars that don't even have back seats but still have an ashtray for the back.

Offline yui

« Reply #2993 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 00:38:10 »
What about CO2 though?
well chemistry magic, less carbon in = less co2 out, although i do agree that it does release some incomplete burn gases but as i live in France i can't put a more modern engine in it so yeah, i just don't go in large cities with it
and i do agree that the grand national looks as 80's as it is going to get but the starion looks like what they thought the future was going to be in the 80's quite a good base for a cyberpunk car :)

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #2994 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 06:32:00 »
I'm on a contract. I have to give it back after four years.

Offline yui

« Reply #2995 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 06:38:41 »
at least here those always look like a very bad deal, you pay for the car but do not get to keep it and never get to own it

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #2996 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 06:43:10 »
Hmm kind of - I'm not massively a car guy and I'm still quite young so I don't have a huge budget or much saved up. What I do have saved up I'm putting towards a mortgage deposit. My contract includes the servicing, the MOT and the Tax and it works out for me as the cheapest way (for me, for now) to get a car big enough to get all my tuba stuff in.
at least here those always look like a very bad deal, you pay for the car but do not get to keep it and never get to own it

Offline yui

« Reply #2997 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 06:48:46 »
Hmm kind of - I'm not massively a car guy and I'm still quite young so I don't have a huge budget or much saved up. What I do have saved up I'm putting towards a mortgage deposit. My contract includes the servicing, the MOT and the Tax and it works out for me as the cheapest way (for me, for now) to get a car big enough to get all my tuba stuff in.
my friend who got into the same kind of a deal for similar reasons got out of it worse, he ends up paying about 90% of the value of the car and still need to insure it, do our equivalent of the MOT and pay for the service that is not included into the warranty, and my solution was to buy a car that is older than me but allowed me to have a big car for really cheap

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #2998 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 06:55:28 »
my friend who got into the same kind of a deal for similar reasons got out of it worse, he ends up paying about 90% of the value of the car and still need to insure it, do our equivalent of the MOT and pay for the service that is not included into the warranty, and my solution was to buy a car that is older than me but allowed me to have a big car for really cheap
When my contract is up, I'll probably buy my next car outright. We have a family friend that is known for getting good deals on old Volvo and Mercedes estates. Thing is the insurance is kinda high on them and since I'm 21 insurance gets expensive still. Should be a lot cheaper in 3 years time though

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #2999 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 06:59:58 »

It really depends on what you want out of a car, how much you travel etc. Not keeping the car at the end isn't necessarily a bad thing. In Australia at least, you have the option to pay a balloon payment at the end. We also have pre/post tax contributions with leasing. It looks a bit funny on the books, but it can be cheaper over the life of the lease.

If you only drive to the shops 5kms down the road and to the pool, a beater is fine. But if you do any sort of distance, having a lease for 4-5 years and then handing back the high mileage car can work out better. People do also like to get rid of cars just before they start ****ting major components, 5-7 years is kinda when you start to get to that stage (a lot of cars will go well beyond this, but I am not getting stuck in the middle of no where after a 12 hour shift when I have to be back at work in 11 hours).

Leasing is also good for company and/or work vehicles generally for the aforementioned and some other reasons.

I personally don't lease my vehicle simply because it would tie me into my job and reduce my flexibility, but my last purchase was an ex demo, that I bought at the end of the manufacturer period so I got a decent enough discount to offset the interest on taking out a loan for it. I will keep it for 4-5 years and probably go back to a cheap car (Suzuki Sierra LWB) as I plan to be at a stage where I do a lot less driving. 

But yeah this wont be the same in other countries but there are reasons to lease cars.