Author Topic: [IC] Think6.5 v2 - Gasket 65% Keyboard // GB July 19 | Live stream | giveaway  (Read 370554 times)

Offline Shutter_Shock

At 1st glance I thought the left thonk was hair and not a gear because of where the gears stop. If I had to choose id say right thonk though I'm not crazy about either of them. The cat one is a must have!

I agree that the left thonk looks like it has hair, but like not in a good way imo. I similarly prefer the one on the right but am not sure I'd actually buy one.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Will there be voting on the weight, or is that a fixed decision?

We should get the option to vote on this.

Hello my friend, unfortunately, there will not be a poll for the weight. As I said, I am super excited about the new weight as it will look super sick! The background is that after R1 run, many have PM'd me about a redesign of the weight for R2 to be something slicker which I agreed. Again, any design cannot please everyone, but if you really hate it I certainly can understand and I am not trying to convince you that it is perfect, and thanks for the support and feedback. Given I am not in this for the money, I do not intend to poll everything or change major designs according to polls. Polls only inform me on whether anything absolutely needs to be changed. So far I think most things are polling as I a priori excepted, except the '2020' logo which was removed. I feel that I already changed a bit more than I originally wanted but because that was for the betterment of the aesthetics,  I am happy with how this turned out.

With all being said, after prototyping is done, I will take real pictures of all badges made and likely have another vote for which one to be made. I can probably make 2 badges max for each layout. I intend to offer lightbulb as the default and 1 optional marine theme badge.

Offline FTR_Beat

Made an additional Thonk with gears. Left Thonk or Right Thonk?

Show Image

Left one looks fun yo! So original.

Offline aclassynerd

Hello my friend, unfortunately, there will not be a poll for the weight. As I said, I am super excited about the new weight as it will look super sick! The background is that after R1 run, many have PM'd me about a redesign of the weight for R2 to be something slicker which I agreed. Again, any design cannot please everyone, but if you really hate it I certainly can understand and I am not trying to convince you that it is perfect, and thanks for the support and feedback. Given I am not in this for the money, I do not intend to poll everything or change major designs according to polls. Polls only inform me on whether anything absolutely needs to be changed. So far I think most things are polling as I a priori excepted, except the '2020' logo which was removed. I feel that I already changed a bit more than I originally wanted but because that was for the betterment of the aesthetics,  I am happy with how this turned out.

With all being said, after prototyping is done, I will take real pictures of all badges made and likely have another vote for which one to be made. I can probably make 2 badges max for each layout. I intend to offer lightbulb as the default and 1 optional marine theme badge.

ooh! thanks for considering an optional marine badge!

Offline spinozsa

Wouldn't you want to see if that's something that might absolutely need to be changed? I still don't see how your brain can reconcile fish/boats with thinking. That's insane cognitive dissonance, which is all the more ironic given the name you're trying to push for it. This should've been named something else, like the anchor 65 or whatever, not think. I agree that a new weight would be more ideal, but it should be related to thinking, not sinking.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 May 2020, 21:33:12 by spinozsa »

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

Wouldn't you want to see if that's something that might absolutely need to be changed? I still don't see how your brain can reconcile fish/boats with thinking. That's insane cognitive dissonance, which is all the more ironic given the name you're trying to push for it. This should've been named something else, like the anchor 65 or whatever, not think. I agree that a new weight would be more ideal, but it should be related to thinking, not sinking.

Again, thanks for the feedback. But let's just agree to disagree. Further debates on the weight design are unnecessary.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 May 2020, 23:42:18 by oldcat »

Offline SL1ST

The anchor weight does weaken any semblance there may have been of a theme, but it's still obviously an iteration on the original board. A beautiful one at that (imo). Thanks for sharing the badge files on the discord, certainly going to be using them.

Offline spinozsa

Again, thanks for the feedback. But let's just agree to disagree. Further debates on the weight design are unnecessary.

There is no such thing as agreeing to disagree, Aumann's Agreement Theorem literally states otherwise. Either one of us is wrong, or we're both wrong. Someone else other than you should be in charge of 'thinking' how this should look like, you're full of contradictions and weak logic.

Offline jayiskuhl

There is no such thing as agreeing to disagree, Aumann's Agreement Theorem literally states otherwise. Either one of us is wrong, or we're both wrong. Someone else other than you should be in charge of 'thinking' how this should look like, you're full of contradictions and weak logic.

That is his polite way of saying that this won't change no matter how much you berate him. He very clearly stated this won't change so learn to like it or move on.

The name calling and criticism of his way of thinking provide no benefit to anyone and I can't fathom how you thought you would get anywhere with your replies. Talk about logic, are you okay?

Rukia (?) | gaff. 60 | Pandora | Praxis | Bauer 2

Offline ninjacore

Calm down, duder.

If someone has to be "wrong", it's not going to be the group buy runner.  The board design is _his_ idea, not ours.  If you don't like it, move along like the rest of us who aren't into boats.

Offline Shutter_Shock

To clarify, do you think the anchor doesn't look good? Or are you upset because you don't feel the board's design fits its name, irrespective of how the anchor looks? Would you otherwise like the board if its name were nautically-themed? If you do think the board looks good even though you disapprove of the combination of the design and name, do you feel so strongly about it that you will not be able to bring yourself to buy one despite the fact that the weight faces downward and is infrequently seen relative to the top case?

There is nothing wrong with disliking the board or disagreeing with the alignment of its design and stated design philosophy. However, Oldcat is also entitled to make executive decisions, even if not everyone likes them. That may come at a cost; some may dislike them enough that they won't join the GB, and that's on Oldcat. If too many people disagree with his design decisions, the GB will fail, and that's also on Oldcat. I would urge you to say that though, if that's your position. Knowing that you won't be joining the GB, why, and what it would take for you to join is valuable feedback. Resorting to trying to insult your way to getting what you want is not.

For what it's worth, I happen to agree with you. I don't feel the anchor aligns with the 'think' name and theme. That being said, I happen to also think the board looks good, and I don't strongly care about whether or not the aesthetics align with the design philosophy of someone I've never met.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 May 2020, 12:03:15 by Shutter_Shock »

Offline supern00b

As someone with high functioning autism, I do feel strongly on an emotional level that the motifs should align, but I do respect OPs decision.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Thanks everyone for the feedback.
Again, as I have mentioned a couple of times, I like the weight design very much and do not intend to change the weight to V1 version. It’s hard to design a board to the liking of everyone (which is impossible anyway), there are actually many who do not like the V1 gear weight or the R1 badge - still, the board did manage to be liked by many after the GB.

I do believe the comments regarding the weight are not ill-intentioned but out of love of this V2 think6.5, sorry if this does not fit your taste. With all said, V2 is close enough to V1, it certainly warrants the Think6.5 name.

Let's focus on the positive and aspects that can improve the GB experience. Thanks!

And more exciting details to come!
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 May 2020, 12:53:41 by oldcat »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Just wanted to pop in and remind people what it is we're doing here.  People are designing keyboards that you can purchase if you like them.  In the event that you don't like something, please move along and direct your attention elsewhere.  No one owes you anything, nor has any obligation to poll the community to compromise their vision to please the masses.  Nothing good comes from needlessly criticizing people for their own design decisions.  If it's truly "bad", then the GB will fail and lessons will be learned.  :thumb: 

Consider this a gentle warning that further off-topic and inflammatory posts will not be permitted here, and if you are one that disagrees with the design direction of this board, see above. 

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Just wanted to pop in and remind people what it is we're doing here.  People are designing keyboards that you can purchase if you like them.  In the event that you don't like something, please move along and direct your attention elsewhere.  No one owes you anything, nor has any obligation to poll the community to compromise their vision to please the masses.  Nothing good comes from needlessly criticizing people for their own design decisions.  If it's truly "bad", then the GB will fail and lessons will be learned.  :thumb: 

Consider this a gentle warning that further off-topic and inflammatory posts will not be permitted here, and if you are one that disagrees with the design direction of this board, see above.

Thanks, and much appreciated!!

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs

Well Said! I look forward to this GB.  :thumb:

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Here is a new render for the 1U badge version. The electrophoresis "arctic blue" color shown in the render will be offered during GB.

Offline Shutter_Shock

Here is a new render for the 1U badge version. The electrophoresis "arctic blue" color shown in the render will be offered during GB.

Show Image

Looks good! I’m so sad I passed on GMK Dracula. Are you thinking about having both anodized and e-coat aluminum? And if so would badges similarly be made with both finishes? Or is it too early to say?

Offline cohesive_glue

Looks sweet! The top right badge placement is really interesting.

Offline gaytore123

Looking at the renders it looks like the bezels are thicker, am I right to assume that v2 has thicker bezels and/or are equal to that of the thickness of the blocker? In for a PC version as I love a symmetrical bezel.

Offline houkiaa

Can't wait for the GB  ;D ;D ;D

Offline cloudzeng980

Wish it had hotswap like R1, but still looking forward to this gb!

Offline unsuredreamz

Oh is it confirmed that there is no hot swap? :O

Offline SL1ST

To be honest, I really liked the old design. I'm not feeling this one (yet). I'm hoping there will be a Polycarbonate version?

Thanks! Yes I do plan to offer PC as long as the GB is not too complicated - weighing different aspects now. Might have to cut out hotswap and badgeless this time.
I made a few changes to the design already with community feedback. Hope you will feel the THiNK soon! And thanks for being patient and tolerant with my new designs.

I'm unsure if it's appropriate to post like this, but it's already been confirmed in discord:
https://discordapp.com/channels/503768726332506133/701193561994952785/707343918035107900

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

To be honest, I really liked the old design. I'm not feeling this one (yet). I'm hoping there will be a Polycarbonate version?

Thanks! Yes I do plan to offer PC as long as the GB is not too complicated - weighing different aspects now. Might have to cut out hotswap and badgeless this time.
I made a few changes to the design already with community feedback. Hope you will feel the THiNK soon! And thanks for being patient and tolerant with my new designs.

I'm unsure if it's appropriate to post like this, but it's already been confirmed in discord:
https://discordapp.com/channels/503768726332506133/701193561994952785/707343918035107900
Show Image

Thanks for sharing this here!
Those were all correct as of now!

Offline Zaum.Tech

Really like what you did with the usb port, that playful touch is pretty great.

Offline spinozsa

Again, as I have mentioned a couple of times, I like the weight design very much and do not intend to change the weight to V1 version. It’s hard to design a board to the liking of everyone (which is impossible anyway), there are actually many who do not like the V1 gear weight or the R1 badge - still, the board did manage to be liked by many after the GB.

I do believe the comments regarding the weight are not ill-intentioned but out of love of this V2 think6.5, sorry if this does not fit your taste. With all said, V2 is close enough to V1, it certainly warrants the Think6.5 name.

Let's focus on the positive and aspects that can improve the GB experience. Thanks!

I'm not in for the group buy if it's the anchor, if it has something else aligned with thinking, I was planning on buying 2-3 keyboards, 2 for sure. I would prefer something else other than the v1 weight, but if it's a choice between the v1 weight and the v2 weight, I'd take the v1 weight every time. Ideally you'd design something new that's actually related to thinking. Is a new design even up for consideration or are you dead set on that anchor?

This would be better than the anchor, perhaps with some tweaks:

Offline Naja

The V2 Weight is wonderful !

Oldcat said many times that the weight design is over, please respect his project, and all the peoples who like, it and wait for an hypothetical V1.5.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 May 2020, 12:59:07 by Naja »

Offline myflowsocold

I think the V2 weight logo is fresh and differentiates from the V1 easily! I am definitely in and will eagerly look for updates regarding group buy...

Sorry if I didn't read through correctly - but anyone have an estimate on when this will be available?
Nunu | Lyn Whale R2 | Bauer | Satisfaction75 | WKL Polaris | TGR x Singa Unikorn

Offline CrazyAssMonkey

I think the V2 weight logo is fresh and differentiates from the V1 easily! I am definitely in and will eagerly look for updates regarding group buy...

Sorry if I didn't read through correctly - but anyone have an estimate on when this will be available?

Group buy should be after Cybervoyager ships.

Offline Frostbyte

So happy to hear about the optional marine theme weight BADGE. I hope it's the sailboat!
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 May 2020, 21:04:38 by Frostbyte »

Offline senencito

I'm not in for the group buy if it's the anchor, if it has something else aligned with thinking, I was planning on buying 2-3 keyboards, 2 for sure. I would prefer something else other than the v1 weight, but if it's a choice between the v1 weight and the v2 weight, I'd take the v1 weight every time. Ideally you'd design something new that's actually related to thinking. Is a new design even up for consideration or are you dead set on that anchor?

This would be better than the anchor, perhaps with some tweaks:

Show Image

friend, that train has left the station.

while the anchor weight is not my first choice, I really like it and the entire board is looking fantastic. There's a real good chance I will buy one.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
ISO support will be provided! Some new renders coming soon!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

Group buy should be after Cybervoyager ships.

Thanks! Indeed, do not want to overwhelm airpotter, he will help run the GB after production of Space65 R2 finishes. We should be able to see some prototypes soon though and last time I checked Space65 is running a bit ahead of schedule!

Offline SirTimmyTimbit

Sorry can't find a link to search this thread. My apologies if this has been addressed.

Can you use any 65% standard PCB with this? If not is hot swap under consideration?

Offline Hawksmoor

Sorry can't find a link to search this thread. My apologies if this has been addressed.

Can you use any 65% standard PCB with this? If not is hot swap under consideration?

Has not been explicitly stated that any standard PCB can or cannot be used but doubtful.
Hot Swap has been ruled out.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

Hey it will be using a custom PCB. Unfortunately 65% boards do not have a standardized PCB like GH60.

Offline PvtSkittles

I was looking for this but maybe I am too inept/tired. Was there a post showing choices of 2u badge options? Or is there just the one with the lightbulb? Honestly I'm ok with that one but was curious and could have sworn I saw options previously.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
I was looking for this but maybe I am too inept/tired. Was there a post showing choices of 2u badge options? Or is there just the one with the lightbulb? Honestly I'm ok with that one but was curious and could have sworn I saw options previously.

Hey, sorry for not being clear enough on this, I updated it to the first post. Both 2U and 1U versions will be made.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Here is a render for ISO users (GMK Dracular red-addon colorway):

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
Thank you for bothering to render the ISO.  I much appreciate that and I will be ordering one of these.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Thank you for bothering to render the ISO.  I much appreciate that and I will be ordering one of these.

Thanks! A big lover of the ISO layout aesthetics here.

Offline 28.8kbps

Here is a render for ISO users (GMK Dracular red-addon colorway):

Show Image

Love it, looking forward to the GB

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Looks like Compass is the most designed after the lightbulb badge.

I made 2 versions of the 1U compass badge, which one do you like better?

Offline CrazyAssMonkey

Show Image

Definitely 2! I like that

Offline PvtSkittles

I know this suggestion might be way too late to the party but I'll throw it out anyway. I've always thought that a simplified version of a sailor's sextant would make a sophisticated and elegant design on a badge, but would fit the nautical theme and is also pretty unique.

But to answer the previous post regarding compass designs - I prefer #2!

Offline Shutter_Shock

Show Image

I'll be going with a 2u board myself, but I'm definitely feeling the one on the right. It's symmetrical across that diagonal axis, and the tilt seems to just make visual sense to me since it will be in the corner.

Offline fabijolo

• I like expensive plastic.
The second one, where the needle is a bit angled looks way better imo

Offline beekey

+1 for the angled

Offline lamonayon

Show Image

2nd one keeps the symmetry but adds a little more as it's slanted!