Author Topic: [IC] Think6.5 v2 - Gasket 65% Keyboard // GB July 19 | Live stream | giveaway  (Read 370942 times)

Offline fabijolo

• I like expensive plastic.
Probably around the end of July/beginning of August
when gb start?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
when gb start?

when gb start?

Yeah, we should be able to get this ready for GB soon but will wait till Space65 R2 GB ships. So the day we start GB, we can start preparing the production process.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Updating renders of some of my favorite darker-themed keycap sets on the upcoming e-arctic blue color case. Already in for Dracula, and keeping a close eye on Hammerhead and Nord which are coming this summer.

Offline Scucka

Updating renders of some of my favorite darker-themed keycap sets on the upcoming e-arctic blue color case. Already in for Dracula, and keeping a close eye on Hammerhead and Nord which are coming this summer.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

beautiful

Offline MadsMe

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Do you have an idea of the other colors that are going to be running?

Offline JvMil

They look amazing! If it's not too much to ask, could you do a render like that in Polycarbonate? I wonder what badge placement looks best with PC..
Looks amazing with the dark hammerheadset, which I am going to get too. Great job with this board  :thumb:

Offline Shutter_Shock

They look amazing! If it's not too much to ask, could you do a render like that in Polycarbonate? I wonder what badge placement looks best with PC..
Looks amazing with the dark hammerheadset, which I am going to get too. Great job with this board  :thumb:

+1

Offline StateSheriff

Sorry if this has already been asked, is there any estimate for when these will start shipping based on the GB being in July/August?

Offline CrazyAssMonkey

Sorry if this has already been asked, is there any estimate for when these will start shipping based on the GB being in July/August?

I'd assume 3-5 months seeing how fast Graystudio works. So probably you could be safe assuming December or January.

Offline Ellen_Degenocide

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That anchor render :thumb:. I am too hyped for Hammerhead! Would be an amazing pairing.

Offline StateSheriff

I'd assume 3-5 months seeing how fast Graystudio works. So probably you could be safe assuming December or January.
Thanks. I was going to go for a cheap(er) hot swap kbdf build but I think I'm gonna hold out for this, which will be my first GB and non-mass produced mech, I'm pretty excited, the Red Samurai render looks amazing.

Gives me plenty of time to get used to soldering too, lol

Offline CrazyAssMonkey

Thanks. I was going to go for a cheap(er) hot swap kbdf build but I think I'm gonna hold out for this, which will be my first GB and non-mass produced mech, I'm pretty excited, the Red Samurai render looks amazing.

You won’t be disappointed. This is a really nice board to get as your first excellent choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sprigun

Grr.... choices... I like this and the HMKB... which one should I get!!!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Do you have an idea of the other colors that are going to be running?

Hey, the usual suspects (black, gray, e-white), plus e-cream, e-arctic blue, and e-pink is what I am considering at this time. Might do some pre-set color mix-match too.

Offline stoobie

Extra PCB
« Reply #614 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 12:59:11 »
Hello!

I'm interested in getting this kit, however I have never soldered a board and was wondering if purchasing an extra PCB is an option? Worried in case I somehow damage the first board by accident during assembly.

Thanks

Offline isaiasr212

Definitely waiting for GB to start, still hoping for the frosted casing to be considered.

Offline StateSheriff

I know the IC is way past this point but it's hard to find info in the 6-700 posts: What was the reason for choosing FR-4 and aluminium as plate choices and not brass?

Offline Shutter_Shock

I know the IC is way past this point but it's hard to find info in the 6-700 posts: What was the reason for choosing FR-4 and aluminium as plate choices and not brass?

I think the idea was just that brass is too rigid for Oldcat's taste, but by all means, somebody correct me if I'm wrong. On this topic, if someone could give a little more testimonial to FR-4 as a plate material, that would be great. I've never personally used it and am not that familiar with it as a material.

Offline arremkay

Hey, the usual suspects (black, gray, e-white), plus e-cream, e-arctic blue, and e-pink is what I am considering at this time. Might do some pre-set color mix-match too.

I think e-cream is a great choice, especially with Bento R2 coming soon it will be a nice look

Offline Cresc3nt

I need the frosted polycarb to exist. Please and thank you  :thumb:

Offline prizeS

• TastyKeys

I think the idea was just that brass is too rigid for Oldcat's taste, but by all means, somebody correct me if I'm wrong. On this topic, if someone could give a little more testimonial to FR-4 as a plate material, that would be great. I've never personally used it and am not that familiar with it as a material.

Personally I think that FR4 is somewhat similar to Alu but slightly more flexible. It's also not as pingy in terms of sound. Built my Savage65 with the included FR4 plate and I didn't see anything wrong with it. IMO still prefer PC plate, but it's not bad.
i lub 65% and wkl tkl.

Offline Shutter_Shock

Personally I think that FR4 is somewhat similar to Alu but slightly more flexible. It's also not as pingy in terms of sound. Built my Savage65 with the included FR4 plate and I didn't see anything wrong with it. IMO still prefer PC plate, but it's not bad.

Between FR-4, PC, and aluminum, which you would you say is the lowest pitch / thock-iest? I have limited experience with PC and FR-4, and it's always a little hard to tell because I normally don't build the same board with different plates. I.e. it's hard to attribute sound differences to the plate when it could just be the different case.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

You won’t be disappointed. This is a really nice board to get as your first excellent choice.

Thanks bro, for the kind words! This will certainly be an endgame 65% for myself :)

Offline Slayer77

Any updates on colors badges available? Maybe a poll with all renders?

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

Offline prizeS

• TastyKeys

Between FR-4, PC, and aluminum, which you would you say is the lowest pitch / thock-iest? I have limited experience with PC and FR-4, and it's always a little hard to tell because I normally don't build the same board with different plates. I.e. it's hard to attribute sound differences to the plate when it could just be the different case.

I haven't built a single board with both FR4 and PC plates either. I have however built a board with both alu and PC plates. I definitely can't give a be-all-end-all type of conclusion to which plate material gives the most thock, simply because every build uses a different combination of switches, case, and plate. In addition, there are variables like plate thickness, mounting style and mounting points of a case, etc that influence the sound. So like you said, it is quite hard to isolate the difference in plates unless you keep all other variables the same and do multiple builds in one case with different plates.

That being said, I do lean towards PC for most comfortable typing experience with it being the softest, and providing the lowest pitch sound. Followed by FR4 and alu in that order, but that is just how I interpret it in my head. Could be different for other people.
i lub 65% and wkl tkl.

Offline Shutter_Shock

I haven't built a single board with both FR4 and PC plates either. I have however built a board with both alu and PC plates. I definitely can't give a be-all-end-all type of conclusion to which plate material gives the most thock, simply because every build uses a different combination of switches, case, and plate. In addition, there are variables like plate thickness, mounting style and mounting points of a case, etc that influence the sound. So like you said, it is quite hard to isolate the difference in plates unless you keep all other variables the same and do multiple builds in one case with different plates.

That being said, I do lean towards PC for most comfortable typing experience with it being the softest, and providing the lowest pitch sound. Followed by FR4 and alu in that order, but that is just how I interpret it in my head. Could be different for other people.

Thanks! Much appreciated. I’ll definitely give the FR4 a try. Maybe one day I’ll buy 4 or 5 of the same board to do a good apples to apples plate material comparison when I have the time and money to spare. Thanks again!

Offline prizeS

• TastyKeys

Thanks! Much appreciated. I’ll definitely give the FR4 a try. Maybe one day I’ll buy 4 or 5 of the same board to do a good apples to apples plate material comparison when I have the time and money to spare. Thanks again!

yw!  :D :D
i lub 65% and wkl tkl.

Offline TofuOrganic

This board looks amazing! I've been looking for a 65% GB to commit to and I think I just found it <3!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Any updates on colors badges available? Maybe a poll with all renders?

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

Still talking to Potter about the color offerings (and if we do more colors for badges), should know more soon!

Offline FTR_Beat

We can see you are going all out on that GB. It keeps getting better and better. And those mats bro, artsy!!

Now, do we REALLY have to wait for CyberVoyager?? Kiddin', we will likely leverage the experience and have a better QA that way.

Offline ufomer

Sorry if I missed something here, but is this going to be a limited run or can I just join the group buy without any issues?

Offline CrazyAssMonkey

Sorry if I missed something here, but is this going to be a limited run or can I just join the group buy without any issues?

It'll most likely not be limited but that of course depends on the response and how many orders the team ks comfortable taking.

Offline Sabin

Thanks bro, for the kind words! This will certainly be an endgame 65% for myself :)

Hi, sorry if the question has already been answered but will hotswap still be available for V2 and if so will there be an option to have a 1U badge at the top? Thank you.

Also one more question, do you know the approximate weight of the board built?

Thank you again, love the design and hoping to get one for myself :)

Offline CrazyAssMonkey

Hi, sorry if the question has already been answered but will hotswap still be available for V2 and if so will there be an option to have a 1U badge at the top? Thank you.

I can’t answer the weight question but hotswap is out. Something about the gasket mount.

Offline Shiftbuzz

Will there be an option to mix&match top & bottom materials ?
Like alu top with PC bottom?

Offline Sabin

I can’t answer the weight question but hotswap is out. Something about the gasket mount.

Ah ok, thanks for the reply.
Haven't been able to scope a lot of group buys because of work this year, I really want to find a decent heavy 65% hot swappable board..

Offline itsprobablyme

Is it possible to get some GMK future funk renders on some of the colourways that might suit it? I am 100% in for one board (maybe 2) and I was wondering which colours would look best for it (first keycap set I ever bought). Thanks!

Offline ScullyD

when gb start?

when gb start?

Yeah, we should be able to get this ready for GB soon but will wait till Space65 R2 GB ships. So the day we start GB, we can start preparing the production process.

How many of these boards can i buy as a single group buyer.  I envisioning wanting to get a few for matching color sets.

Offline harmful

Are you gonna be making a frost poly for this one?

Offline FTR_Beat

+1000 interest on frost poly!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

+1000 interest on frost poly!

100%! We shall see the frosted poly prototypes soon :)

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
  • https://sxmdesigns.com
    • Website
Can we get a seperate renders of the deskmat. Those look amazing.

Offline theside123

Can you see the interior design? I want to see the disassembled figure. I wonder how it is assembled

Offline LukeDoky

I love this. The white/pink render is so good. I also prefer the original badge placement, much more unique.

Offline cptbubbles

Really curious how a black body and pink badge would look with Olivia++ or Blink. The pink badge on Dracula looks cooler on the colour spectrum whereas the one on the white body looks closer to pastel pink. Does this mean there’s two pinks for the badges?

Offline lamonayon

end game for you? quite interested on what specs & colorway (or should I say panda option?) on the v2 will you get for yourself? 😁

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Thanks everyone for the additional batch of questions and comments, and kind words.

I was tied up with a deadline last few days and will come back to addressing your questions soon.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

end game for you? quite interested on what specs & colorway (or should I say panda option?) on the v2 will you get for yourself? 😁

Yes, after buying so many keyboards, the whole point of this project is to build ones that are my personal endgames. I really like the Think6.5 PC version that I designed last year, but not so much the sound profile of the aluminum version with Holy Panda (I almost exclusively use Holy Pandas these days. Fine with Cherry MX retooled blacks I think but I rarely use it now), so I set out to get back to a gasket-mount design which I actually originally planned for the v1 version of Think6.5. I am going to the length of making injection molds to produce the specially designed gaskets, not sure how much difference in improvements they will make, but it will at least be a very solid gasket system with locking on both the plate and the cases.

I will not profit anything other than maybe a couple of prototypes from this prospective GB (one of which will likely go to Alex for a build stream). All possible proceeds, if any, will go to AirPotter's keyboard business that will enable him to continue innovating and experimenting with new things.

RE colorway, my favorite colorway has always been Panda (e-white top and black bottom).
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 May 2020, 22:05:20 by oldcat »

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

Yeah each plate material will offer some sort of features. I will do a personal comparison sometime in terms of the flex, sound signature, etc., as I have all of these materials built at least a couple of times.

My personal preference (for 1.5mm plate) is FR4 > Alu >= CF > PC  >> Brass >> Steel
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 May 2020, 22:11:40 by oldcat »

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Can we get a seperate renders of the deskmat. Those look amazing.

For sure! Not sure which one you are talking about (I rendered quite a few), so here you go for all of them. A few are outside of this GB (one by Alex and one by May)

By Alexotos, outside of this GB, but check it out when it is restocked it is amazing!

By May, outside of this GB.

By inertG, this is for the Dracula - GB is separate and will be run by inertG

By xingchen_fan, this will likely be included in the GB

One more colorway by xingchen_fan, this will likely be included in the GB - will likely pick one background color later.

By 66Fannie99, this will be included in the GB.

Lastly, a fun one for you guys as you wait for the Think6.5V2! Yes, it is coming :)

« Last Edit: Thu, 28 May 2020, 17:49:22 by oldcat »