Author Topic: [IC] Think6.5 v2 - Gasket 65% Keyboard // GB July 19 | Live stream | giveaway  (Read 370096 times)

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Re: [IC] Think6.5 v2.0 - Gasket 65% Keyboard // PCB update | Plate update
« Reply #750 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 11:27:46 »
Prototype Plate (Fr-4 version), what other plate colors do you like to be included?

Show Image

If there's no dark PC option then I'd vote for a white plate/pcb option
Do you have a picture of it not covered by bubble wrap?

Here is one from Potter!

Offline Joelmo

« Reply #751 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 12:04:46 »
Is the GB still targeting July as per the original post? Incredibly excited for this kit.

Offline dRnRcRr

« Reply #752 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 13:23:16 »

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #753 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 15:17:04 »
Is the GB still targeting July as per the original post? Incredibly excited for this kit.

Potter is confirmed to go to the factory this upcoming week to pick up the Think6.5v2 prototypes as well as to move the Space65 R2 GB forward to the surface treatment stage!
I am very hopeful for July!

And a couple of GMK Nord renders with the electrophoresis-arctic blue color we are working on:

« Last Edit: Sun, 07 June 2020, 15:18:48 by oldcat »

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
  • https://sxmdesigns.com
    • Website
« Reply #754 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 15:49:15 »
I am so confused on which badge style I want. :(

Offline Clay333

« Reply #755 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 16:13:49 »
Will this be an unlimited group buy, raffle, or a FCFS type of deal? I have been admiring the V1 of this board since they first shipped and want to get in on this really bad, just feeling a little demoralized after loosing 2 raffle group buys this weekend.

Offline Little4Real

« Reply #756 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 16:42:04 »
I think this is gonna be an unlimited GB like the original Think 6.5.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #757 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 19:53:53 »
Will this be an unlimited group buy, raffle, or a FCFS type of deal? I have been admiring the V1 of this board since they first shipped and want to get in on this really bad, just feeling a little demoralized after loosing 2 raffle group buys this weekend.

Yes, it will be a limited time, unlimited slot Group Buy hosted on graystudio.club

And by the way every time I see your profile pic, I am very happy.

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #758 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 02:08:01 »
Sorry to bother again, but I wanted to know what is the lead time and shipment ( in approx months) since I may have vacation/ moving end of this year. I will plan accordingly.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #759 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 10:49:52 »
Sorry to bother again, but I wanted to know what is the lead time and shipment ( in approx months) since I may have vacation/ moving end of this year. I will plan accordingly.

We are targeting 3-4 months. The Space65 R2 ended on April 18th, and it is in surface treatment stage now, targeting end of July shipment.
Do not worry, you can change your address after joining the GB.

Offline SirTimmyTimbit

« Reply #760 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 11:11:09 »
wait can you see the underglow under the PCB shing throgh?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
I made a logo badge, would this be of interest as a default badge? It's actually a bit more complicated to make.

Offline Shutter_Shock

I made a logo badge, would this be of interest as a default badge? It's actually a bit more complicated to make.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Personally, the light bulb is still my favorite to be included as the default badge. I think it provides useful continuity of design from v1.0 to v2.0. I also just think it looks good. If only one badge is included, I would prefer that it be the light bulb.

That being said, I also like the Graystudio logo, and I understand the interest in including it in a visible manner. If it isn't a huge increase, I wouldn't personally be upset if the board price were slightly higher to allow for a Graystudio badge to also be included as a second badge. Maybe that's an unpopular opinion. If there's only one badge included, I would prefer that it be the light bulb though.

Offline InediblePi

« Reply #763 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 13:25:31 »

Potter is confirmed to go to the factory this upcoming week to pick up the Think6.5v2 prototypes as well as to move the Space65 R2 GB forward to the surface treatment stage!
I am very hopeful for July!

And a couple of GMK Nord renders with the electrophoresis-arctic blue color we are working on:

Show Image

Show Image

Will the line above the 2U badge be a diffuser or micro holes like V1?

Offline lz2019

the thread is long, I didn't go over the discussion, sorry if it's repeated but I have two small things to confirm,
1. is it already confirmed that Navy Blue will be offered?
2. in the case of 1U badge (at upper-right corner), the 3 keys below it is in the order Del --> PgUp --> PgDn, can I program it to be PgUp --> PgDn --> Del ?
thanks!

Offline Shutter_Shock

the thread is long, I didn't go over the discussion, sorry if it's repeated but I have two small things to confirm,
2. in the case of 1U badge (at upper-right corner), the 3 keys below it is in the order Del --> PgUp --> PgDn, can I program it to be PgUp --> PgDn --> Del ?
thanks!

I think color is still up in the air. I’m interested in frosted polycarbonate, so I haven’t paid that much attention. As for the keys, you can program any key on the board to be anything you want. You could make every key “F” if you wanted to. Whether or not you can match the legends to whatever you program the keys to though depends on your keycap set.

Offline lz2019

thanks!

I think color is still up in the air. I’m interested in frosted polycarbonate, so I haven’t paid that much attention. As for the keys, you can program any key on the board to be anything you want. You could make every key “F” if you wanted to. Whether or not you can match the legends to whatever you program the keys to though depends on your keycap set.

Got it. This is very cool! :cool:

Offline Clay333

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That badge looks great in the top right, but the light bulb looks best on mid right. Don't know what it is but the new badge doesn't look quite right above the arrows. Either way it's a very nice design. Can't wait to get in on the group buy. It will be nice to actually get a board and not just loose raffles.

Offline prizeS

• TastyKeys
still prefer the lightbulb 2u, but the logo 1u looks pretty good. either way in for a couple haha.
i lub 65% and wkl tkl.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Personally, the light bulb is still my favorite to be included as the default badge. I think it provides useful continuity of design from v1.0 to v2.0. I also just think it looks good. If only one badge is included, I would prefer that it be the light bulb.

That being said, I also like the Graystudio logo, and I understand the interest in including it in a visible manner. If it isn't a huge increase, I wouldn't personally be upset if the board price were slightly higher to allow for a Graystudio badge to also be included as a second badge. Maybe that's an unpopular opinion. If there's only one badge included, I would prefer that it be the light bulb though.

Unless there is an overwhelming interest, I think we might just be better off skipping including the new Gray logo badge, to avoid unnecessary complexity for the already-complex GB :) Will run a quick poll and see.

Offline StateSheriff

Would be good to get a clear image of what badge design options there will be because I'm kind of confused at this point lol. My understanding right now is that the options are the lightbulb, compass, or anchor? (Not including the recent grey studio logo suggestion)

And the weight will be the anchor as shown above with no options?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Would be good to get a clear image of what badge design options there will be because I'm kind of confused at this point lol. My understanding right now is that the options are the lightbulb, compass, or anchor? (Not including the recent grey studio logo suggestion)

And the weight will be the anchor as shown above with no options?

I will share a render of the badge options. If there are no surprises (i.e., many people like the Gray logo to be the default badge), there will be a default badge of the OG think logo (lightbulb+gear) with one marine-themed badge as an option (currently, 1U is anchor, 2U is compass - these choices are mainly due to the lighting designs - do note that there will be diffused LED lights from under the badge through a diffuser and for some badges the lights cannot diffuse properly as per simulations).

You are correct that there are no weight options. This is as customizable as we can make it to be.

Offline gnomesayin

I am definitely in for this.  One of my favorite designs and missed v1

Offline enjoidis

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That is a pretty sweet badge, I like it and the compass best, I'd be down for both the compass and the new one for sure!

Offline FlitzDeelman

Nice badge, very clean. But then it's not so obvious that it's a Think 6.5...  :-\

Offline Ptaty

Has the position for the badge been confirmed yet?

Really loving the top right hand corner option!

Offline oalmali

Stop doing more renders and get to the GB please! Can't wait for this awesome board anymore :D

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Re: [IC] Think6.5 v2.0 - Gasket 65% Keyboard // prototype update!
« Reply #777 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 12:07:55 »
Tested anodizing a 1U prototype today!

Forgive the horrendously low-quality picture, proper photoshoots will be done with I receive them in the mail :) I am just excited to share with you this sneak peak.

And it appears Potter is too excited to get it done and did not notice that the 1U badge chamfer has not been added yet (it will be).

And prototypes for the 2U in other colors, and the polycarbonate version are forthcoming in the next few days.

« Last Edit: Tue, 09 June 2020, 12:12:59 by oldcat »

Offline CrazyAssMonkey

« Reply #778 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 12:18:06 »

Forgive the horrendously low-quality picture, proper photoshoots will be done with I receive them in the mail :) I am just excited to share with you this sneak peak.

And it appears Potter is too excited to get it done and did not notice that the 1U badge chamfer has not been added yet (it will be).

And prototypes for the 2U in other colors, and the polycarbonate version are forthcoming in the next few days.

Show Image

Show Image

Wow that looks nice.
Ne purple avail? :3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lamonayon

« Reply #779 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 12:18:40 »

Show Image

Show Image

Can't wait, oldcat! Make sure the Panda 🐼 is there please!

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #780 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 12:45:03 »
what are the color options for the GB?

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #781 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 12:49:37 »

Show Image

Show Image

Clean :)

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

Offline dlavelle94

« Reply #782 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 13:33:04 »
Just want to confirm, is this an unlimited group buy, or restricted slots?

Offline Rejeckted

• Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum... I smell Kraft dinnah
« Reply #783 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 13:40:32 »
Just want to confirm, is this an unlimited group buy, or restricted slots?

Oldcat answered this a few responses earlier

Yes, it will be a limited time, unlimited slot Group Buy hosted on graystudio.club

And by the way every time I see your profile pic, I am very happy.

Offline musicgecko

« Reply #784 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 14:32:19 »
would still want light bulb 2u over the logo ver.

Also would we there be the option to choose polycarb plate while getting alu top and bottom? or get as an extra?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #785 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 18:33:38 »

Also would we there be the option to choose polycarb plate while getting alu top and bottom? or get as an extra?

Regarding the badges, I am sticking with the old plan and not sure there is even a need to check about the “logo badge,” It’s my hunch that it’s highly unlikely the logo badge will be preferred

Looks like we won’t be offering Polycarb plate, and extra top or bottom will complicate things further. So sorry they won’t be offered as extras. Lessens learned from V1 run is that the only way to fulfill a GB in the promised timeframe is to keep the GB as simple as possible :)

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #786 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 18:39:48 »

Regarding the badges, I am sticking with the old plan and not sure there is even a need to check about the “logo badge,” It’s my hunch that it’s highly unlikely the logo badge will be preferred

Looks like we won’t be offering Polycarb plate, and extra top or bottom will complicate things further. So sorry they won’t be offered as extras. Lessens learned from V1 run is that the only way to fulfill a GB in the promised timeframe is to keep the GB as simple as possible :)
How is the fr4 plate material? Will it provide flex like a poly plate?

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #787 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 22:36:45 »

FR4 is the material PCBs are made of. It doesn’t flex as much as polycarbonate, but it does flex more than aluminum, brass, or steel.

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #788 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 00:40:02 »

FR4 is the material PCBs are made of. It doesn’t flex as much as polycarbonate, but it does flex more than aluminum, brass, or steel.
Thanks! I am pretty new to this and have only tried alu and stainless steel. Would you recommend fr4 for linears?

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #789 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 01:13:56 »

Thanks! I am pretty new to this and have only tried alu and stainless steel. Would you recommend fr4 for linears?

Honestly I’ve never used an FR4 plate either, at least not in one of my own boards. I may have tried one at a meetup at some point, but I honestly can’t remember. I have used a plateless board with PCB mount switches, which I guess is similar since the degree of flex comes from the FR4 of the PCB. While not a very satisfying answer, the most truthful answer I can give you is that you have to decide for yourself if you like it. I know, totally useless—but also true. Obviously there is a pandemic in the way, but the best way to figure out your preferences is to go to a meetup when you can and if there is one in your area. Regarding the type of switch, I’m not sure one plate material is necessarily best for linear VS. Tactile. I think it just depends on what kind of bottom out you prefer in general.

I will say this, which might actually be helpful: the FR4 will definitely flex more than the aluminum and steel that you’ve tried. Personally, as someone who grew up typing on Apple laptop keyboards, I find that because it’s what I’m used to, I actually prefer a harder bottom out (and therefore stiffer plate) with light actuation force switches. So I tend to go for aluminum or brass plates, and my favorite switches are 62g zealios for tactile and tealios for linear but with 60g springs in them. Clickies I don’t really use, but I have a box white board, and they’re fine.

There are a number of videos on YouTube comparing plate material that have the added benefit of you being able to hear the effect of the plate on sound. I’d recommend taking a look to help inform your decision. Hope that helped a little!

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #790 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 01:19:13 »

Honestly I’ve never used an FR4 plate either, at least not in one of my own boards. I may have tried one at a meetup at some point, but I honestly can’t remember. I have used a plateless board with PCB mount switches, which I guess is similar since the degree of flex comes from the FR4 of the PCB. While not a very satisfying answer, the most truthful answer I can give you is that you have to decide for yourself if you like it. I know, totally useless—but also true. Obviously there is a pandemic in the way, but the best way to figure out your preferences is to go to a meetup when you can and if there is one in your area. Regarding the type of switch, I’m not sure one plate material is necessarily best for linear VS. Tactile. I think it just depends on what kind of bottom out you prefer in general.

I will say this, which might actually be helpful: the FR4 will definitely flex more than the aluminum and steel that you’ve tried. Personally, as someone who grew up typing on Apple laptop keyboards, I find that because it’s what I’m used to, I actually prefer a harder bottom out (and therefore stiffer plate) with light actuation force switches. So I tend to go for aluminum or brass plates, and my favorite switches are 62g zealios for tactile and tealios for linear but with 60g springs in them. Clickies I don’t really use, but I have a box white board, and they’re fine.

There are a number of videos on YouTube comparing plate material that have the added benefit of you being able to hear the effect of the plate on sound. I’d recommend taking a look to help inform your decision. Hope that helped a little!
Thanks! This just confused me more, guess I will get 2 plates now haha

Offline dstaar

I am definitely in for this.  One of my favorite designs and missed v1

+1

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #792 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 02:47:59 »
Thanks! This just confused me more, guess I will get 2 plates now haha

My bad. I’m really wordy, and I’ve been watching movies and drinking. My understanding is that the flex ranking, from most flex to least flex, is polycarbonate>FR4>aluminum>brass>steel. Carbon fiber can vary depending on the specific composition of the carbon fiber composite used but is somewhere in the FR4-aluminum range. Hopefully that’s more helpful. Also keep in mind that mounting affects the feel as well. If you’re used to an aluminum plate on a bottom mount board that has standoffs supporting the PCB from below, the gasket mount on this Think6.5 v2 will make the same aluminum plate material feel a little softer. The plate can flex more and the gasket material also absorbs some of the impact of each keystroke.

Offline isaiasr212

« Reply #793 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 03:04:51 »
You can possibly consider selling badges as an extra cost, maybe a full set? I'd definitely be interested in purchasing the whole set, as I'll be purchasing each of the v2's being offered.

Offline Frostbyte

« Reply #794 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 07:11:52 »
You can possibly consider selling badges as an extra cost, maybe a full set? I'd definitely be interested in purchasing the whole set, as I'll be purchasing each of the v2's being offered.

I'd like this too, mostly if the sailboat was still an option. I'm busted up that the sailboat has disappeared from the board, I loved that thing.  :(

Offline StateSheriff

« Reply #795 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 10:07:44 »
+1 for optional badge extras. If I have to choose one I probably won't have any idea until I'm submitting the order  ;D

Offline gilbert

« Reply #796 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 10:15:50 »
Top right badge placement is great! :)
Collection: F1.69, G80-5K, Bliss TKL, Ecliptica, Cypher, Safa S588, Southpaw Fullsize, HHKB Pro2, Zenith G80-1192HAD

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #797 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 13:14:38 »
Updating a few e-white renders of 1U with GMK Shoko and Wildcat deskmat. Note that the Wildcat Deskmat is not associated with this GB (It is wildcat's personal design and not for sale at this point).

Note that we will likely provide both e-white and e-beige colors. E-white will be a cooler white as rendered, E-beige will be a warmer white (something like the epbt cool kids).

« Last Edit: Wed, 10 June 2020, 13:17:37 by oldcat »

Offline ImunizE

« Reply #798 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 14:14:30 »
Love the colour do you think you will be releasing this colourway so excited about this keyboard the design is just perfect!!

Updating a few e-white renders of 1U with GMK Shoko and Wildcat deskmat. Note that the Wildcat Deskmat is not associated with this GB (It is wildcat's personal design and not for sale at this point).

Note that we will likely provide both e-white and e-beige colors. E-white will be a cooler white as rendered, E-beige will be a warmer white (something like the epbt cool kids).

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I'm really excited for this but I think the top right placement is better.