Author Topic: Which New Mechanical keyboard Should I get (tough decision)  (Read 2381 times)

Offline Skyfallsc

Which New Mechanical keyboard Should I get (tough decision)
« on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 00:05:13 »
Hello guys! Im new to the forum although im not new to mechanical keyboards, i must say i really love the forums and all of the community seems very nice and helpful.
First of all i want to share my experiences with mechanical keyboards and then proceed to my current budget and choices and what troubles me about every one of them.
Well some time ago i purchased a black widow (blue switch) my very first mechanical keyboard, although i liked it the build quality the glossy finish was terrible for me along with dealing with some angry gf which i always woke up and annoyed during my night time gaming sessions  due to  blue switches. I ended up selling it very quickly.
After that i bought a CMSTORM QFR with brown switches, after some time i didnt really like the "bump" on the switch because i needed to double tap quickly as i mainly play SC2 and SCBW and occasionally some other RTS and FPS, so i also sold it to a friend.
Now im in need of another keyboard and i have to say because i live in Chile (^^) my options are quite narrowed down. I plan to spend around 90-110 bucks on this.

I must say my top priorities are :

Build and keycap quality (i dont want to buy another keyboard for as long as possible)
Most straight up key layout (hopefully , i can ignore minor things tho) also by this i mean just key placement TKL and full numberpad are not a problem.
Hopefully a linear switch for gaming (i might consider non linear if build quality and other stuff good enough)

Ok so lets go straight to my options (order is at random)

1) Steelseries 6gv2 red and black switch available  ~110$ - Layout seems good , solid build quality
no braided cord or gold plated usb which i dont care very much really , keycap printings appear to fade off quickly according to some people which is really bad (possibly a deal breaker).

2) Ttesports meka, only black switch available (http://www.ttesports.com/productPage.aspx?p=19&g=ftr) ~ 90$ - I really like this one but the layout seems  off and gimmicky not something i cant get used to though, and i dont know much of the build quality ,features a nice 2 port usb port which comes really handy to a laptop user like me and i like the desing :P , it also has a thick braided cable and gold plated usb connector. (maybe black switches are a little bit too stiff for me? dunno.)

3) Ttesports meka g1 black switch ~ 120$ - This one goes beyond my budget but it seems good according to some reviews , looks a little bit too big for my desk .

4)CMSTORM QF TK red switch only available - Solid option , layout seems off  , switch between num.pad mode and function may interfere with my SC2 key settings (deal breaker) , backlight is welcome but not needed, nice build quality and keycaps (i think.) .

I have 2 other options but i discarted them due to switch type , these are the razer bw tournament edition (blue switch) and cmstorm QFR (brown switch)

So i know my options are very limited :( sadly there are few stores that sell these products in my country since gaming its a growing "thing" here yet.

I would like to thanks so much all help and replies to this thread  i must say all prices listed above are as they appear on my country.

I would also like to apologize for any spelling and redaction errors that may have been  writen since English is not my primary language ^^!.

Thank you guys very much in advance. :)

« Last Edit: Wed, 29 January 2014, 00:09:17 by Skyfallsc »

Offline Sai

Re: Which New Mechanical keyboard Should I get (tough decision)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 00:14:21 »
How about QFR with red switch/black switch ? you stated that you wanted linear switch.
Also, QFR is regarded as a really good and well built keyboard in this community.

About the keycap quality, unless you buy doubleshot abs or pbt, the legend on the stock keycaps will be fading after some time of usage.
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline Skyfallsc

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 00:29:39 »
They only have it on brown switch , if not i would definitely go with that one =/

Offline mrmillsy

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 03:13:23 »
When I was looking to buy a QFR, I was told to wait for a sale as they happen regularly and are required to justify the price.

Offline kilogeek

• Nostalgy of a time when quality was a value
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 03:25:19 »
Keycap quality is becoming very hard to find on new mech keyboards.
If you are only gaming, MX black may fit (or red), otherwise I would recommand Brown MX.
But the best quality is still found in old keyboards, if you are patient enough and take
time to surf the web (not e-bay, best prices are not there) you may find awesome stuff
for cheap.

-- > But even for gaming, I would definitely not use Black or Red MX, simply because WASD (ZQSD for me^^) keys with a linear switch is not that good as you don't feel actuation point and it's very easy with such switches to move where you did not want to, plus you need more pressure to keep keys down.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 January 2014, 03:35:33 by kilogeek »
"Ne pas subir" - Devise de Saint-Cyr.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 21:12:40 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

You could try importing a keyboard - for me in Australia that actually sometimes works out cheaper than buying one locally, plus the range is much bigger.

The KeyCool 87 is a good reliable board.  Usually around the same price as QFR.  qtan sells then - shipped from China, if that makes any difference.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 21:42:14 »
If you're worried about keycap quality, I think one of your best bets is to go with a Ducky. They are around that $100 price point. I don't know if ducky includes PBT keycaps with all their keyboards, but a gb on massdrop a while ago had them included.
Otherwise, the CM Storm QFR is probably the most solid option imo as they layout seems to be normal (for NA that is) I don't know what layout you generally use but I would go with the QFR personally.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 22:02:29 »
keycool 87 blacks or reds off banggood

pbt caps, board is also really durable

http://www.banggood.com/KEYCOOL-87-Mechanical-Keyboard-Cherry-MX-Red-Switch-p-80571.html

http://www.banggood.com/KEYCOOL-87-Mechanical-Keyboard-Cherry-MX-Black-Switch-p-80572.html

The page says that the keys are ABS, am I missing something?

my bad. I think kc switched off of pbt for non backlit boards...

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 22:35:23 »
Hello guys! Im new to the forum although im not new to mechanical keyboards, i must say i really love the forums and all of the community seems very nice and helpful.
First of all i want to share my experiences with mechanical keyboards and then proceed to my current budget and choices and what troubles me about every one of them.
Well some time ago i purchased a black widow (blue switch) my very first mechanical keyboard, although i liked it the build quality the glossy finish was terrible for me along with dealing with some angry gf which i always woke up and annoyed during my night time gaming sessions  due to  blue switches. I ended up selling it very quickly.
After that i bought a CMSTORM QFR with brown switches, after some time i didnt really like the "bump" on the switch because i needed to double tap quickly as i mainly play SC2 and SCBW and occasionally some other RTS and FPS, so i also sold it to a friend.
Now im in need of another keyboard and i have to say because i live in Chile (^^) my options are quite narrowed down. I plan to spend around 90-110 bucks on this.

I must say my top priorities are :

Build and keycap quality (i dont want to buy another keyboard for as long as possible)
Most straight up key layout (hopefully , i can ignore minor things tho) also by this i mean just key placement TKL and full numberpad are not a problem.
Hopefully a linear switch for gaming (i might consider non linear if build quality and other stuff good enough)

Ok so lets go straight to my options (order is at random)

1) Steelseries 6gv2 red and black switch available  ~110$ - Layout seems good , solid build quality
no braided cord or gold plated usb which i dont care very much really , keycap printings appear to fade off quickly according to some people which is really bad (possibly a deal breaker).

2) Ttesports meka, only black switch available (http://www.ttesports.com/productPage.aspx?p=19&g=ftr) ~ 90$ - I really like this one but the layout seems  off and gimmicky not something i cant get used to though, and i dont know much of the build quality ,features a nice 2 port usb port which comes really handy to a laptop user like me and i like the desing :P , it also has a thick braided cable and gold plated usb connector. (maybe black switches are a little bit too stiff for me? dunno.)

3) Ttesports meka g1 black switch ~ 120$ - This one goes beyond my budget but it seems good according to some reviews , looks a little bit too big for my desk .

4)CMSTORM QF TK red switch only available - Solid option , layout seems off  , switch between num.pad mode and function may interfere with my SC2 key settings (deal breaker) , backlight is welcome but not needed, nice build quality and keycaps (i think.) .

I have 2 other options but i discarted them due to switch type , these are the razer bw tournament edition (blue switch) and cmstorm QFR (brown switch)

So i know my options are very limited :( sadly there are few stores that sell these products in my country since gaming its a growing "thing" here yet.

I would like to thanks so much all help and replies to this thread  i must say all prices listed above are as they appear on my country.

I would also like to apologize for any spelling and redaction errors that may have been  writen since English is not my primary language ^^!.

Thank you guys very much in advance. :)

Ok, here are what I got from your message :

cmstorm QFR brown switch
Steelseries 6gv2 red and black switch available
Ttesports meka black switch
Ttesports meka g1 black switch
Cmstorm QF TK red switch
Razer bw tournament edition (blue switch)
Cmstorm QFR (brown switch)

Budget < 120$
High quality keycaps
Cherry MX Red or Black

So I think the best options now are :
- Leopold FC700R - Cherry MX Red - PBT keycap (space bar is hard to replace but at least it is not going to be shinny by the next ten years)
- IKBC KBC F-104 Double-Shot PBT Mechanical Gaming Keyboard-Cherry Black
- Keycool rainbow Cherry MX Red - PBT keycap
- Noppo Choc Mini Cherry MX Red - POM keycap or PBT keycap

I like linear switches

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus

Offline Skyfallsc

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 22:46:33 »
Thanks guys so much for the replies i think i know what to go for.