Author Topic: Kailh BOX Switches Crack and Stress Keycap Stems  (Read 157872 times)

Offline grizzly_teddy

Re: Kailh BOX Switches Crack and Stress Keycap Stems
« Reply #450 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 01:52:09 »
Yeah I have 800 box switches waiting to be fixed...
> The way GH looks now, to a regular person, it screams, "Oh dang, this is one of **those** sites for really devoted and weird people".

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #451 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 02:11:41 »
Since f'in Kailh caused the issue, the least they can f'in do is provide a solution on their own - the price tags really enraged me a bit, with shipping, it's a high cost for a simple, single purpose tool, I'd rather file my nails

$19 shipped over Aliexpress would be ideal, $29 shipped would be the max. I would do

The Cruciformer one seems better priced, for such a high profit margin, I believe the nubrist one needed to enter the market the moment we experienced the issue, if that happened, it might've been deserving of such an extreme profit attempt (Edit: The Cruciformer actually seems well priced, for the design etc. - but the nubrist one was offensive)

We also don't know how well they work yet, from my experience, the tips really need to be extremely sharp for it to be effective, the inner part could use some grain, I really doubt the effectiveness of these tools, but I guess we'll see soon
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 March 2019, 02:16:22 by KHAANNN »
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #452 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 11:21:28 »
Can't we just get a list together and take turns with the prototypes? I only need something (anything!) for a few days to do the switches I have, then pass it to the next person.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #453 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 12:38:48 »
I'm concerned about durability of the cruciformer. I'm no metallurgist, but an aluminum cutting tool, anodized or not, seems like a mistake. I don't want to order a tool that'll do less than 1,000 perfect cuts. A poorly cut switch could end up much worse than an uncut switch.

Offline giammin

« Reply #454 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 08:47:03 »
I don't want to order a tool that'll do less than 1,000 perfect cuts.

i just want a cheap tool to cut my  70 box navy and dont want to bother about this kind of problems anymore

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #455 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 11:28:45 »
I don't want to order a tool that'll do less than 1,000 perfect cuts.

i just want a cheap tool to cut my  70 box navy and dont want to bother about this kind of problems anymore

I don't need a tool to rework all the switches in existence. Just what I have on hand.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #456 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 14:37:53 »
I feel bad for you buddy. Check their refund policy.
This is unacceptable, considering you are a paying customer. I see it's on aliexpress. Its not reliable.

Offline Starius

« Reply #457 on: Wed, 17 April 2019, 21:26:01 »
Just found out that the buy for the "Cruciformer" tool is going on right now....  I'm gonna give it a try.  I need something, and I guess I'm getting a bit tired of waiting for other options.
https://rudbeardesign.myshopify.com/products/cruciformer

Offline enrique.aliaga

« Reply #458 on: Wed, 17 April 2019, 23:06:56 »
Just found out that the buy for the "Cruciformer" tool is going on right now....  I'm gonna give it a try.  I need something, and I guess I'm getting a bit tired of waiting for other options.

I already ordered The Cruciformer a few days ago, but forgot to notify this thread. Thanks Starius!

I hope the tool ends up being great. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #459 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 22:53:23 »
Kailh destroyed hundreds of thousands of dollars of keycaps and faced no consequences. You are even still buying their switches.
Their new mold still cracks keycaps.

« Last Edit: Tue, 23 April 2019, 22:55:12 by cherrymxsilent@gmail.com »

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #460 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 23:03:15 »
Has there been evidence of this? I don't think I've seen any pictures or anything of retooled switches doing damage

Offline Starius

« Reply #461 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 08:33:13 »
Has there been evidence of this? I don't think I've seen any pictures or anything of retooled switches doing damage

I've not seen any evidence that the retooled switches have caused any damage either.
Though, that being said, I still do want to run a stem shaving tool over my retooled box switches before using them just for my own piece of mind. 

« Reply #462 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 08:36:24 »
You keep saying that sprit is not great, buy look at kaihl. They damaged an infinite number of keycaps without liability.

Sprit is more honest than kaihl.

Offline ptiede

« Reply #463 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 10:06:47 »
You keep saying that sprit is not great, buy look at kaihl. They damaged an infinite number of keycaps without liability.

Sprit is more honest than kaihl.

I don't think they damaged an infinite number of keycaps... And sprit has been hugely unreliable in the past and more recently as well.

P.S. Not saying kaihl doesn't have a lot of blame here, but they didn't actively scam anyone, unlike sprit. I don't think they knew that old box switches would cause some keycaps to crack.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 April 2019, 10:08:46 by ptiede »

Offline Baron

• oops its me
« Reply #464 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 12:28:26 »
They damaged an infinite number of keycaps without liability.

what do you expect them to do about it? 

« Reply #465 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 14:46:49 »
They damaged an infinite number of keycaps without liability.

what do you expect them to do about it?

Mmm what? Am I talking to a bot? Replace all the wrong stems at least?

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #466 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 15:14:06 »

Their stems aren't "wrong" there is no mating spec for keycaps and switches to abide by, Kailh followed their own manufacturing specs and their largest customers wishes(to enlarge the nubs/bumps) at the time. Did it end up costing people money? Yes, but they didn't have a mating spec to abide by so why do you expect them to give out replacements for free for something they technically didn't do wrong? If they actually produced them out of their own specifications, then their distributors(vendors included) would have had some means of recourse as they were sold defective/out-of-spec products, but they didn't as they actually remained within their publicly available specification.

Offline thearctican

« Reply #467 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 16:30:45 »

Their stems aren't "wrong" there is no mating spec for keycaps and switches to abide by, Kailh followed their own manufacturing specs and their largest customers wishes(to enlarge the nubs/bumps) at the time. Did it end up costing people money? Yes, but they didn't have a mating spec to abide by so why do you expect them to give out replacements for free for something they technically didn't do wrong? If they actually produced them out of their own specifications, then their distributors(vendors included) would have had some means of recourse as they were sold defective/out-of-spec products, but they didn't as they actually remained within their publicly available specification.
I lost two GMK sets to the rev1 stems. I don't expect compensation or anything of the like because I'm the one who put the caps on a brand new switch. Sucks, but to your point Kailh had the specs published and I see it as a lack of research on my part.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline thearctican

« Reply #468 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 17:40:15 »
This is very depressing. I'm not sure if I want to be among both of you anymore. I don't want to have to deal with losers.

Wow taking it personal is uncalled for, must have a hard time accepting that a company doesn't give handouts for doing nothing wrong. Have a nice day, if that is at all possible.

Seeing a consumer that accept to be scammed is depressing. Please go away!
But we aren't exactly consumers to Kailh, are we? Kailh's direct customers are OEMs and parts distributors. It's not a usual thing that people buy loose switches.

Imagine a scenario: you have a car that takes a certain size tire. Michelin releases a tire that has features you want and is all around better than your tire. The tire mounts and fits fine, but the outer diameter is too big and it damages your wheel well.

What do you do?
A. Blame Michelin for making a desirable tire that damaged your car
B. Blame your car manufacurer for not having bigger wheel wells
C. Accept that you bought the tire while ignoring the /XX dimension

It's C. This is an enthusiast community. If we weren't interested in trying new things and accepting that some things don't work out sometimes then we'd all be typing on chicklet keyboards and none of us would be here.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: Fri, 26 April 2019, 11:59:24 by thearctican »

« Reply #469 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 18:20:22 »
LOL what? Progress has nothing to do with a five stem that breaks keycaps. That's just a mistake.

Offline jrfhoutx

• Post count is meaningless if the content is trash.
« Reply #470 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 20:48:39 »
LOL what? Progress has nothing to do with a five stem that breaks keycaps. That's just a mistake.

Bottom line is that the responsibility to ensure compatibility lies with the consumer.
Kailh, like Gateron and Cherry and everyone else, makes a product; they publish the data and specs for the product, they are not obligated to ensure that it will be compatible with your stuff. It's the consumer's responsibility to check compatibility.
The mistake wasn't Kailh's, the mistake was everyone who bought them not doing their due diligence and checking the specs

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #471 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 00:42:48 »
I'll join in on the ranting, why not?

Honestly there is a side of me that wants to defend them because I do like speed golds (hands down my favorite click switch), speed heavy orange, and pro purple's. All of which don't damage switches. But the other side of me is still pissed many months later at the amount of money I spent on box switches and how it damaged my OG G81 cherry set, GMK hyperfuse, and GMK Nautilus to the point where they are still usable thankfullly but if you flip the keyboard (non box) upside down a few keys fall off. I have yet to buy another box switch and I never will.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #472 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 11:19:57 »
Can we get some mods here and shut this toxic guy down? He is just being rude, without anything constructive to give.

Offline thearctican

« Reply #473 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 11:26:17 »
Can we get some mods here and shut this toxic guy down? He is just being rude, without anything constructive to give.

If you feel he's violating community guidelines then I'd encourage you to use the 'report to moderator' button.

Offline giammin

« Reply #474 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 05:23:59 »

your reasoning is acceptable

but then why did they make a new version?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #475 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 07:28:52 »

Kailh was an OEM supplier only, at some point. By then, taking decisions based only on its corporate customers was the way to go. However, when they began selling switches in the after market of KB enthusiast the decisions that were sound before, where not acceptable anymore.

I am partial to the point of view that we as final consumers are solely responsible for mating switches and keycaps, because any producer is responsible of its own designs adhering to industry acceptable guidelines, otherwise, they should make explicit a declaimer that their products may damage the KB where they might be installed on. Something like cigarettes and alcohol. "The use of this product is the responsibility of the consumer, only"

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #476 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 10:18:53 »

Because the community complained loudly enough about it, and had also become a large enough customer base that they could not be ignored

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #477 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 21:14:37 »
I can confirm that BOX switches are still cracking keycaps.

I am currently testing BOX Browns in my switch-testing keyboard.

They are the new retooled Browns, ordered in May of this year.

I put some cheap Tai Hao ABS double-shots on them (I was well aware of the dangers, so kept expensive keycaps away from them), and it was fine at first. Typing on the BOX Browns is pleasant.

But when I came to remove them (had to test other switches), I heard a <CRACK> upon pulling the first key (the 'Q' key).

Lo-and-behold, there is a hairline fracture running nearly the full length of the OEM-profile keycap stem.

I've since placed the BOX Browns and these keycaps back on the testing keyboard. No cracking noises going on, and the 'Q' key still fits. But I know the stem is damaged.

Now, you might argue that I removed the keycap improperly. But I used a standard wire puller, and the same methods I've always used. This is the first time I've ever seen damage to any of my keycaps. There hasn't been any incidents before.

So use BOX switches with extreme caution. I'm thinking of ordering some extremely cheap PBT doubleshots as sacrifical keys for the BOX Browns, since I like them otherwise.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 July 2019, 21:40:27 by HungerMechanic »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #478 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 22:33:24 »
I can confirm that BOX switches are still cracking keycaps.

I am currently testing BOX Browns in my switch-testing keyboard.

They are the new retooled Browns, ordered in May of this year.

I put some cheap Tai Hao ABS double-shots on them (I was well aware of the dangers, so kept expensive keycaps away from them), and it was fine at first. Typing on the BOX Browns is pleasant.

But when I came to remove them (had to test other switches), I heard a <CRACK> upon pulling the first key (the 'Q' key).

Lo-and-behold, there is a hairline fracture running nearly the full length of the OEM-profile keycap stem.

I've since placed the BOX Browns and these keycaps back on the testing keyboard. No cracking noises going on, and the 'Q' key still fits. But I know the stem is damaged.

Now, you might argue that I removed the keycap improperly. But I used a standard wire puller, and the same methods I've always used. This is the first time I've ever seen damage to any of my keycaps. There hasn't been any incidents before.

So use BOX switches with extreme caution. I'm thinking of ordering some extremely cheap PBT doubleshots as sacrifical keys for the BOX Browns, since I like them otherwise.

interesting.  I tested 6 different retooled box switches in a hotswap board, 2 weeks apiece, and never had a crack.  Used GMK caps.  I tested box blacks, box jade, box red, box white, box pale blue, and box pink.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 July 2019, 22:42:47 by pixelpusher »

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #479 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 23:28:00 »
Let's hope this is an isolated incident. It's just one keycap, after all. It was a $23 + shipping Tai Hao set, and you know how thin their budget ABS caps are.

It may simply be a result of being pulled off the switch at too high an angle [although I didn't think so at the time]. Maybe the filmsy keycap material just cracked.

Although, I have to say, the BOX switches make keycap removal a more difficult operation. They tend to be tighter. And they are also tighter going in and out of the switch tester, and often have to be removed at an angle. They just don't feel as if they were built to the same spec as other MX switches. My Zealios, for example, enter and exit hotswap plates with ease, and keycaps just snap off without trouble.

With BOX switches, I think the issue is more than just stems that weren't built to spec. The whole mechanism is tighter on keycaps, and the switches themselves fight with the plate mount.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #480 on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 11:13:22 »
I have retooled BOX Blacks and BOX Yellows, but I haven't put them on a board yet.

Since I finally got the Cruciformer tool a week or so ago, I have shaved all my BOX Blacks just to be safe, and I plan to do the same with the BOX Yellows. That said, the Cruciformer tool definitely still shaves off a not-insignificant portion of the switch stems of the retooled variety.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #481 on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 12:10:33 »
Yeah, I'm probably going to have to get that Cruciformer, if I intend to use BOX switches.

Offline SlipperyPeteED

« Reply #482 on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 23:42:06 »
That said, the Cruciformer tool definitely still shaves off a not-insignificant portion of the switch stems of the retooled variety.

wow this is insane. I really figured that the cruciformer was kinda pointless after the retooling

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #483 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 06:55:26 »
I have retooled BOX Blacks and BOX Yellows, but I haven't put them on a board yet.

Since I finally got the Cruciformer tool a week or so ago, I have shaved all my BOX Blacks just to be safe, and I plan to do the same with the BOX Yellows. That said, the Cruciformer tool definitely still shaves off a not-insignificant portion of the switch stems of the retooled variety.

Where did you buy the retooled box switches from?

Offline Waterrmelonn

« Reply #484 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 07:13:54 »
How are Enjoypbt sets on retooled box switches? I have a set of them coming in and want to put them on box reds, have there been any problems with cracking of stems?

Offline thearctican

« Reply #485 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 18:41:22 »
How are Enjoypbt sets on retooled box switches? I have a set of them coming in and want to put them on box reds, have there been any problems with cracking of stems?
They're fine. I used some ePBT caps on BOX Pinks and they have no fitment issues on other switches. POM caps fit and transfer fine, too. The only ones I havent installed are GMK caps but I have switches I like better anyway.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Offline Benitone

« Reply #486 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 04:10:02 »
What a shame, I hope that kailh goes out of business.
They're a disgrace to this community. They failed, and than they tried to fix the mistake and they failed again. They're retarded.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #487 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 08:55:52 »
They're a disgrace to this community. They failed, and than they tried to fix the mistake and they failed again. They're retarded.

Why are you so harsh? Kailh is one of the only companies in years to innovate in the switch scenes. They are also working more with the community compared to other switch manufacturers. Yeah they made mistakes i also lost some key caps so what. Maybe you should go back to reddit mechanical keyboards.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Benitone

« Reply #488 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 10:19:36 »

Why are you so harsh? Kailh is one of the only companies in years to innovate in the switch scenes. They are also working more with the community compared to other switch manufacturers. Yeah they made mistakes i also lost some key caps so what. Maybe you should go back to reddit mechanical keyboards.

They didn't fix the problem. The new stem is still faulty and still damages keycaps. They're being harsh on the stems, not me.

Offline hideyourholes

« Reply #489 on: Mon, 02 September 2019, 14:20:45 »
**** I have a bunch of box switches lying around. Anyone know where you can currently get one of the fixing tools i.e. Cruciformer?
Edit: Nvm didn't realize he was still selling on his website via "pre-order". Picked one up just now.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 September 2019, 14:31:44 by hideyourholes »

Offline mkarlsson

Kailh BOX Switches Crack and Stress Keycap Stems
« Reply #490 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 12:47:16 »

They didn't fix the problem. The new stem is still faulty and still damages keycaps. They're being harsh on the stems, not me.

I have retooled switches and at least gmk and sp are not damaged by those. What keycaps are you using?

Offline Benitone

« Reply #491 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 16:51:55 »

I have retooled switches and at least gmk and sp are not damaged by those. What keycaps are you using?

So you didn't read the posts about the gmk keycaps damaged by retooled kailh?

Offline mkarlsson

« Reply #492 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 17:15:47 »

So you didn't read the posts about the gmk keycaps damaged by retooled kailh?

No, I did not

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #493 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 10:50:29 »
What the best priced tool to rework box switches? That it is still available.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #494 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 14:03:56 »
I think that the Cruciformer is still at its pre-order price:

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #495 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 15:10:33 »

Thank you very much for the reference. But, for the price of the tool, I'd better buy brand new switches. LOL.

Offline enrique.aliaga

« Reply #496 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 16:57:11 »

Thank you very much for the reference. But, for the price of the tool, I'd better buy brand new switches. LOL.

Which would still potentially break your keycaps, if they are BOX.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #497 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 21:31:42 »

Which would still potentially break your keycaps, if they are BOX.

No more boxes for me. It would be insane to risk valuable key caps just to try some switches no matter how good they might be. Now I will investigate the new switch offering and choose which ones my upcoming builds may use. I'd say that we all should let this sad thing of box switches behind and move forward and try other options.

Edit: Think twice, do we really want to do Kailh's job in fixing its issues?

I paid for the switches, period; but I will not ruin any key cap of mine. I am not Kailh's engineering, nor quality control department.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 September 2019, 21:45:58 by ideus »

Offline hideyourholes

« Reply #498 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 13:58:32 »
My thought process is if you buy the Cruciformer you can probably pawn it off on mechmarket and incur a fraction of the loss you would incur by replacing the switches.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #499 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 20:07:48 »
Necro-post.

Has anyone else used the Cruciformer? I have some retooled BOX Yellows (1.30mm), and, after using the Cruciformer on them, keycaps are rather loose on them - so loose that a few of them wiggle, and also fall off if upside down. I've tried with GMK, ePBT, DSA, Maxkey SA, and Taihao; it varies by switch a bit, but the only one that seems really secure is the SA keycap. It may have been better to keep the stems stock. Does anyone else have a report on the Cruciformer?
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.