Author Topic: Need some help on Model M bolt mod/rivet replacement  (Read 7787 times)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
Need some help on Model M bolt mod/rivet replacement
« on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 10:27:05 »
Sorry if I am being redundant, but I have searched Geekhack, but I am having some trouble finding a good Model M bolt mod thread with pictures and detailed instructions.  Could anybody point me towards a good bolt mod/rivet replacement thread?
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 December 2013, 16:43:23 by prdlm2009 »
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Model M bolt mod/rivet replacement
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 15:31:29 »
This is a pretty good one. "Sandy's Bolt Mod" was the best but appears to be gone now.

I recommend a chisel tip for your X-acto knife instead of a real chisel. With a fresh blade it is also best for shaving the tops of the rivets flat.

http://wiki.geekhack.org/index.php?title=Modifications:IBM_Model_M:Nut_and_Bolt_Mod
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 17:06:23 »
This is a pretty good one. "Sandy's Bolt Mod" was the best but appears to be gone now.

I recommend a chisel tip for your X-acto knife instead of a real chisel. With a fresh blade it is also best for shaving the tops of the rivets flat.

http://wiki.geekhack.org/index.php?title=Modifications:IBM_Model_M:Nut_and_Bolt_Mod

Thanks.  There is a link to a mod by Sandy in the wiki article.  Is this the one your were referring to, or was the good one more detailed?

http://sandy55.fc2web.com/keyboard/repair_model_m.html

I got a 1390120 and when I finally opened it up, about half the rivets came tumbling down.  "Well, I might as well learn how to a bolt mod," I said.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Need some help on Model M bolt mod/rivet replacement
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 17:18:30 »
The old Sandy's was far more detailed and better.

If you are good with your hands, you can make it work.

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Larken

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 22:23:20 »
there's also http://silverlinux.blogspot.sg/2012/08/ibm-model-m-1391401-bolt-mod-rivet.html

and http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1024488

same person, but with different levels of detail in each. I believe he was also a geekhack poster who posted a similar modding log on gh, but that thread's pictures went down.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 09:06:13 »
there's also http://silverlinux.blogspot.sg/2012/08/ibm-model-m-1391401-bolt-mod-rivet.html

and http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1024488

same person, but with different levels of detail in each. I believe he was also a geekhack poster who posted a similar modding log on gh, but that thread's pictures went down.

wow thanks those are phenomenally detailed.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 12:17:31 »
Also this picture from one of those link is a perfect representation of cats.  Cat says, "I am in your way, I do not care, and I am too lazy to move even as you pile thing upon me."

48919-0

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 11:26:54 »
Fohat, didn't you make your own bolt modding thread? I seem to remember somebody had one with lots of pictures; he also painted the backplate orange and warned us to use gloves to avoid cutting ourselves with the chisel.

Since I remember that guy warning us that we need the right good tools to suspend the plate upside down and to drill precisely in the middle of each rivet, in my memory that thread is associated with you fohat.

Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 14:08:44 »
I have never done a Model M thread, although I have discussed the M in my F threads.

I have considered painting an M plate, but never done it.

A wooden frame made out of scrap lumber can be a big help.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 19:27:19 »
Alright I was doing my bolt mod and the barrel plate developed a crack.  Will this make the barrel plate useless and call for the need of a replacement?

Offline Aer Fixus

• And now, back to lurking...
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 00:24:36 »
Alright I was doing my bolt mod and the barrel plate developed a crack.  Will this make the barrel plate useless and call for the need of a replacement?

I have seen people repair the cracks just using super glue with some braces and I've seen people just leave the crack there and it sometimes works (sometimes unreliably).
I'd recommend at least repairing it, but for guaranteed functionality, it's probably best to buy a new one, but you can certainly make do with your current plate if you wish to take the time to repair it.
               SOON: IN PROGRESS:

I lie all the time.... I really don't even like keyboards

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 08:26:31 »

I have seen people repair the cracks just using super glue with some braces and I've seen people just leave the crack there and it sometimes works (sometimes unreliably).
I'd recommend at least repairing it, but for guaranteed functionality, it's probably best to buy a new one, but you can certainly make do with your current plate if you wish to take the time to repair it.

Thanks.  I looked up some ways to repair plastic on Youtube.  I will probably just look for a new barrel plate because mine has so many locations that look on the verge of cracking.  I do not want to risk doing all this work and then having things crack some more, which seems inevitable at this point.

Offline Grr8

• Quack!
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 10:06:46 »
Reading old threads :-).

Thanks.  I looked up some ways to repair plastic on Youtube.  I will probably just look for a new barrel plate because mine has so many locations that look on the verge of cracking.  I do not want to risk doing all this work and then having things crack some more, which seems inevitable at this point.

A new barrel plate is $20 at Unicomp (+postage). You would then need a means to melt the rivets into place (what becomes the plastic rivets are spikes out of the barrel plate). Or just cut off the spikes, and bolt it from the start.

Or you could just ask Unicomp what a "service" would cost on your keyboard. They start from $30:

http://pckeyboard.com/page/category/Repair

Back on the topic of Bolt Modding, phosphor_glow has a video of how he now does a screw mod here:

(Screw mod, because no nut is used, so the keyboard isn't bolted together, it's screwed together)
Daily Driver: Poker II Backlit (Ducky Mini-fied) + Amazon o-rings. Future daily driver IBM AT Model F (restoring now). For fun: IBM SSK 1397681 (NIB), IBM SSK 1391472, IBM Industrial 101 Square label 1388032, IBM Industrial 101 Black label 1394946, IBM 1391401 (bolt-modding now), IBM 1370477, IBM 42H1292 (USA), IBM 52G9700 IBM, and more....
More
Ducky Shine w/Blues + WASD o-rings, Ducky Shine 3 TKL w/Browns + ebay o-rings, Rosewill RK-9100 w/Blues, Apple Wireless (slim), Apple Wireless White A1016, Apple Extended II ADB. Next? HHKB2Pro?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 15:48:38 »

A new barrel plate is $20 at Unicomp (+postage).

Watch for a clunker terminal M if you see one for a similar price. You will get a lot of other useful parts including springs and caps, cases, almost everything, really, except electronics and cables.

Consider hitting on sellers who have them listed at "real" M prices and wonder why they haven't sold for weeks on end. Sometimes they will revise the listing to "Buy-It-Now" with free shipping at a realistic price for you.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 16:37:57 »

Ditto on this. Exacto knife made it so much easier. I had my M apart in minutes when it got bolt modded.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 21:48:31 »

Ditto on this. Exacto knife made it so much easier. I had my M apart in minutes when it got bolt modded.

I used a normal pocketknife for the first several, and now I use a flushcutter. Once to get the rivet off and once to make it flush. Saves a LOT of time.

Then I take a dremel out with a ball-shaped bit and make a divot in the middle. This lets me guide the drillbit a bit better.

Then I drill it. I stacked up books to keep it in place.

Offline Grr8

• Quack!
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 09:25:05 »
I used a normal pocketknife for the first several, and now I use a flushcutter. Once to get the rivet off and once to make it flush. Saves a LOT of time.

That's a great tip.

I removed the leftover bits of rivets the other night with a razor blade, but a flush cutter or side cutter makes a lot more sense.

The "how to" page for the bolt mod should be updated with these tips:

Using a chisel really is overkill.

Then I take a dremel out with a ball-shaped bit and make a divot in the middle. This lets me guide the drillbit a bit better.

Then I drill it. I stacked up books to keep it in place.

What does a ball-shaped dremel bit look like? I have a few, but don't think I have any that would be called "ball-shaped."
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 April 2014, 09:29:57 by Grr8 »
Daily Driver: Poker II Backlit (Ducky Mini-fied) + Amazon o-rings. Future daily driver IBM AT Model F (restoring now). For fun: IBM SSK 1397681 (NIB), IBM SSK 1391472, IBM Industrial 101 Square label 1388032, IBM Industrial 101 Black label 1394946, IBM 1391401 (bolt-modding now), IBM 1370477, IBM 42H1292 (USA), IBM 52G9700 IBM, and more....
More
Ducky Shine w/Blues + WASD o-rings, Ducky Shine 3 TKL w/Browns + ebay o-rings, Rosewill RK-9100 w/Blues, Apple Wireless (slim), Apple Wireless White A1016, Apple Extended II ADB. Next? HHKB2Pro?

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 13:18:07 »
There are some different styles of ball bits, but it is quite like it sounds, where the tip is a ball.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 17:15:21 »
This is good if you have a very steady hand and a very small ball.

Another way is with a pointed tip on your soldering iron.

a flush cutter or side cutter makes a lot more sense.

The chisel tip on an X-acto works great because you can use both hands. It has to be fresh and sharp for phase 2.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 April 2014, 17:17:09 by fohat.digs »
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 06:21:15 »

A new barrel plate is $20 at Unicomp (+postage). You would then need a means to melt the rivets into place (what becomes the plastic rivets are spikes out of the barrel plate). Or just cut off the spikes, and bolt it from the start.

Or you could just ask Unicomp what a "service" would cost on your keyboard. They start from $30:

Back on the topic of Bolt Modding, phosphor_glow has a video of how he now does a screw mod here:

(Screw mod, because no nut is used, so the keyboard isn't bolted together, it's screwed together)

Does anyone know the difference between a screw mod and a bolt mod? I'm sure they all have their uses, but as someone who knows very little, I'd say that screw mod looks easier because you don't have to put in an additional bolt/ washer. Also there is the question of finding a nut driver in Singapore for that bolt - I can't do it. (Can't find an M2 nut driver.)
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Grr8

• Quack!
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 07:43:41 »
Also there is the question of finding a nut driver in Singapore for that bolt - I can't do it. (Can't find an M2 nut driver.)

It's not a "M2 nut"

If using M2 screws, the usual nut for it would have a 4mm head size.

So, you need a 4mm nut driver.

Look on Hobby sites... Like here:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11111__Turnigy_4mm_Hex_Socket_Screwdriver.html

Or a small-sizes socket set might have a 4mm driver.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 May 2014, 07:52:37 by Grr8 »
More

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 08:59:31 »

If using M2 screws, the usual nut for it would have a 4mm head size.

So, you need a 4mm nut driver.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11111__Turnigy_4mm_Hex_Socket_Screwdriver.html

Or a small-sizes socket set might have a 4mm driver.

Great tool!

And yes, most of the basic socket sets only go down to 5mm.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 09:18:34 »
This is the set I have. 4mm, 5mm, 5.5mm, 7mm, 8mm. Worked well for when I was working on my M. Not bad for the price either. (I bought my set from a local hobby place, but was same price as this site. Feel free to look elsewhere, just was a place that I saw sold same set).
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/5-pc-metric-nut-driver-assortment-DYN2806

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 15:05:21 »
A screw mod only uses screws and does NOT use nuts and washers to secure the screw to the internal plates.  The screws have to be driven in from the bottom plate, because they will not hold the internal parts together if they are not on the bottom.

A bolt mod uses bolts, nuts, and washers to hold together the internal parts.  It may exert extra pressure on the parts from holding them altogether if the nuts are too tight. I think some pictures would really help show the differences between the two.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 14:22:11 »
A screw mod only uses screws and does NOT use nuts and washers to secure the screw to the internal plates.  The screws have to be driven in from the bottom plate, because they will not hold the internal parts together if they are not on the bottom.

A bolt mod uses bolts, nuts, and washers to hold together the internal parts.  It may exert extra pressure on the parts from holding them altogether if the nuts are too tight. I think some pictures would really help show the differences between the two.

Yup, I know the theoretical definition. But what's the difference in practice? Is the screw mod not so reliable, given that it doesn't have a bolt holding on the opposite end?

Also, isn't it better to do all the screw and bolt modding from the bottom plate? When you are installing bolt mod, to prevent the hammers jumping, you have to put them in upside down anyway. That means the bottom plate will be facing up. It is much easier to insert and screw in the screws or bolts from the top aka bottom plate facing you.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 14:53:05 »
Is the screw mod not so reliable, given that it doesn't have a bolt holding on the opposite end?

Also, isn't it better to do all the screw and bolt modding from the bottom plate? When you are installing bolt mod, to prevent the hammers jumping, you have to put them in upside down anyway. That means the bottom plate will be facing up. It is much easier to insert and screw in the screws or bolts from the top aka bottom plate facing you.

You will drill the holes through the rivet shafts from the bottom, that is, the underside when the keyboard is assembled and in use. Obviously, most of the work is done with all these parts upside-down. A simple wooden frame is a huge help here.

But you want to drive the screws through from the top, that is, when you use the keyboard you see the screw heads. Turn that over, and assemble everything from the upside-down position, and jiggle the back plate onto the protruding screw shafts. Then spin on the nuts and you are done.

A screw mod would only include drilling partial holes through broken rivet shafts and letting the screw cut its own threads into the inner surface of the hole you just drilled.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 June 2014, 14:55:07 by fohat.digs »
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 15:19:20 »

Phosphorglow's video is one of my favorites.