Author Topic: changing switch functions without using a teensy  (Read 1163 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
changing switch functions without using a teensy
« on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 13:20:21 »
I have a PLU TKL keyboard. There are two switches on the bottom right that I will never use. One turns off the windows key. One is PLU's proprietary function key. I am trying to figure out how to make them useful.

Since the PCB did not look anything like a Filco, I figured nothing from Biphipany will work.

Is there something I can do to give these two unused keys other functions?

One partial solution: I like to have a windows key on the right side as well. I know some people have done this before, but I don't know how to do it correctly - to wire the key to the windows key on the left side, then cut the traces on the right side.

Any advice would be greatly welcome!

Also, what is the kind of wire needed for wiring up a matrix of keys to another controller? Is it called Galvanized wire? Do I just lay the wire down and solder it to the switches?
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: changing switch functions without using a teensy
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 17:47:37 »
If those keys don't send anything at all to the computer, then the only way to "enable" them is a hardware mod of some sort.

You can wire the key to be a second "left windows key" on the right side by soldering in wires to the same locations on the matrix. It would have the same function as the real left windows key (so pressing them both would do nothing different than pressing either of them)

another option would involve a microcontroller for just those two keys (like a techkeys business card), a USB hub, and some wire. I think that could work out. It's effectivley using a teensy.

In short: you can "copy" other keys, but you can't send any "new"scancodes to the PC

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Re: changing switch functions without using a teensy
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 09:02:37 »
If those keys don't send anything at all to the computer, then the only way to "enable" them is a hardware mod of some sort.

You can wire the key to be a second "left windows key" on the right side by soldering in wires to the same locations on the matrix. It would have the same function as the real left windows key (so pressing them both would do nothing different than pressing either of them)

another option would involve a microcontroller for just those two keys (like a techkeys business card), a USB hub, and some wire. I think that could work out. It's effectivley using a teensy.

In short: you can "copy" other keys, but you can't send any "new"scancodes to the PC

Great, great! Now I wonder if anyone has a photo of either possibility:

1) soldering wires to the same location on the matrix

2) using a separate microcontroller, assuming that isn't too expensive. I think using a $20 teensy to handle the signals from two keys is probably overkill

For 1), I have a vague idea what to do, but having zero electronics knowledge I am wary of causing permanent damage, a short circuit, electric fire or anything that I am wont to do.

I don't really understand that talk about a matrix. Can I ask if soldering two wires from the two contacts on one key to the two contacts on the other key are enough to have them function the same way?

Dorkvader, if this can be done effectively, I will have a good suggestion for boost as well. If you recall, he bought a Filco camo from me and found he couldn't live without a right windows key and is now trying to sell the filco. If all he needs to do is to run two wires from the proprietary filco function key (which is sitting where the right win key normally sits) to the left windows key, I'm pretty sure he could do it.

Also, do the original contacts require severing? Do I need to take a knife to cut the traces on the key that I want to mod?
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.