Author Topic: Stabilizer Alternatives  (Read 1670 times)

Offline May0

Stabilizer Alternatives
« on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 12:03:13 »
Hello, I am designing and building a keyboard from scratch. I am trying to make it as cost efficient as possible and was wondering if this idea I had for alternate stabilizers would work. So, instead of buying normal costar stabilizers I thought, for at least the spacebar, I could add in two extra switches on either side that wouldn't have any electronic function.

I'm planning on using either blue or green switches for the keys and red or black as the stabilizers. Would this work and has anyone tried it before? Thanks.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
Re: Stabilizer Alternatives
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 12:35:13 »
I dont think that would work as well as a Cherry or Costar stabilizer because there wouldn't be anything linking the two "stabilizer switches" together. A traditional stabilizer works as well as it does because there is a wire that links the left and right side together.

Also, you would need to consider the effect having two additional switches would have on actuation force. Assuming you used 3 stock switches, you would essentially be tripling the amount of force required to actuate the key. I would think using two linear switches and putting in very light springs would be the best course of action if you do try it. Again though, I don't think having two switches would give the desired stabilizing effect. I'm not going to say its not worth trying, I might be off the mark and it might work decent enough but my guess is that you would continue to see binding when pressing the far sides of a key.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: Stabilizer Alternatives
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 12:36:19 »
it works, just like the rose system keys, but its not as consistent