Author Topic: Turning a CM QFR into a JIS keyboard  (Read 2671 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Turning a CM QFR into a JIS keyboard
« on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 03:21:07 »
I just desoldered my CM QFR to change the switches, and was intrigued to find that the PCB is actually laid out for a JIS layout also.

This has made me very curious about experimenting with building a JIS keyboard.

Not being a skilled modder or even educated in electronics, I'd like to ask what advice you guys have to offer.

What I have:
CM QFR, US ANSI layout.
CM QFR PCB, which can accommodate JIS layout
plenty of spare switches

What I know I must buy:
Bpiphany's controller
A suitable plate of some sort

What else am I supposed to be aware of? I have no idea what diodes, resistors, SMDs or whatever else needs to be done.

I'm just planning to get a correct plate, put in the switches, solder, stick in the controller and is that enough to get my JIS layout CM QFR?

Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
Re: Turning a CM QFR into a JIS keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 15:00:41 »
You also need to add (and possibly remove) some diodes and bridges. For full JIS I believe you will have to change the firmware slightly (adding some keycodes in the matrix.)
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 20:54:02 »
I'll have to dig mine out and bridge some pins, it's entirely possible that they didn't disable the unused matrix positions on the non japanese ones.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 22:06:13 »
I'm afraid you guys have lost me.

What's this about bridging pins and removing diodes?

What is it about PCBs that I need to know? Problem is, not being electrically trained, I don't understand what else needs to get done from just looking at the PCB.

This is not a backlit keyboard. I can see a number of small solder points which are presumably for diodes. But they are not matched to switches ie some switches don't have small solder points/ diodes near them.

As for bridging I don't understand also because many switches have traces that don't seem to connect to other traces anyway.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 22:48:48 »
I want to bridge pins on the controller to see if a switch in that location will register on the normal controller.

This will tell me if it'll work or if you'll have to get one of those bpiphany replacements.

About diodes: there's a chance they haven't added the diodes to the switch locations on the JIS layout. I think they're there, but I'm not sure at all. You can probably see for yourself.

The QFR has diodes for each switch, but they aren't regularly placed like they are in (for example) a lightsaver. Since it's a single sided PCB, they do this to reduce the number of jumpers they need.

All the switch traces connect somewhere. You have to check for a via or jumper or something, but it doesn't really matter too much to know the pcb routing.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 03:57:08 »
I want to bridge pins on the controller to see if a switch in that location will register on the normal controller.

This will tell me if it'll work or if you'll have to get one of those bpiphany replacements.

About diodes: there's a chance they haven't added the diodes to the switch locations on the JIS layout. I think they're there, but I'm not sure at all. You can probably see for yourself.

The QFR has diodes for each switch, but they aren't regularly placed like they are in (for example) a lightsaver. Since it's a single sided PCB, they do this to reduce the number of jumpers they need.

All the switch traces connect somewhere. You have to check for a via or jumper or something, but it doesn't really matter too much to know the pcb routing.

Is 'bridging pins' a matter of using a multimeter and testing for connection across two solder pads where the pins would have been if a switch had been soldered there?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 09:58:10 »
Easiest way to find out if they are live is to have the keyboard hooked up and load aqua keytest. Then take something conductive and touch both pads where a switch would be soldered in. Did it send a scancode? If yes it's good to go. If not you will have to then determine if it's because something else is missing on the PCB or if it's the firmware.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 12:41:41 »
Easiest way to find out if they are live is to have the keyboard hooked up and load aqua keytest. Then take something conductive and touch both pads where a switch would be soldered in. Did it send a scancode? If yes it's good to go. If not you will have to then determine if it's because something else is missing on the PCB or if it's the firmware.

Ivan!

If you didn't look like a disgusting vampire, I'd jump on you and kiss you!  :-* :-* :-*
(But then again, I am not sure anybody wants to be kissed by a guy with one eye, one hand, and one metal hand with a mini cannon inside it.)

That's the perfect answer, no doubt about it! Easy to execute, practical and entirely within the ability of a tech idiot like me.

Once I get my PCB dug out and test it, I'll probably wind up using a PCB mounted board though, since I have no JIS plate and it is proving impossible to cut CM's plate using my current set of tools/ ability.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 12:53:03 »
I have a feeling the stock controller will work with no issues. I can draw you a JIS plate if you have somewhere locally that you can get it cut.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 13:42:47 »
I have a feeling the stock controller will work with no issues. I can draw you a JIS plate if you have somewhere locally that you can get it cut.

Awesome! I guess my next action is to... ask people locally where to get a plate cut. What does it mean actually? Does it mean you will email me CAD files, and the people doing the cutting need to be able to get the cutting done using computers that can 'print' the CAD design? Am I looking for laser-cutting, steel plate capabilities? I'm sorry if I sound like a total moron, but I really have no knowledge of how these things work.

But how do you know about JIS plates? I mean, you don't have one handy as reference do you? I never understood how you group buy guys can ever figure out what is compatible with what, since many keyboard manufacturers like to make their little variations in width or spacing.

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 14:32:48 »
Here's a QFR/S PCB (ANSI configuration) w/o switches for reference:

« Last Edit: Sun, 20 July 2014, 14:35:32 by Grendel »
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 14:43:06 »

Awesome! I guess my next action is to... ask people locally where to get a plate cut. What does it mean actually? Does it mean you will email me CAD files, and the people doing the cutting need to be able to get the cutting done using computers that can 'print' the CAD design? Am I looking for laser-cutting, steel plate capabilities? I'm sorry if I sound like a total moron, but I really have no knowledge of how these things work.

But how do you know about JIS plates? I mean, you don't have one handy as reference do you? I never understood how you group buy guys can ever figure out what is compatible with what, since many keyboard manufacturers like to make their little variations in width or spacing.

What you are looking for is someone who can supply you with 1.5mm sheet metal (aluminum, stainless steel, or mild steel), and cut the switch holes into it using either laser, water jet, or CNC mill. Ideally you want someone that can hold 0.025mm tolerances, or as close to that as possible.

JIS 91-key layout is a standard, just like 87-key ANSI or 88-key ISO. Some keyboard manufacturers deviate from the standard and put odd sized keys in certain locations, but fortunately the QFR doesn't suffer that issue. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 15:35:25 »

What you are looking for is someone who can supply you with 1.5mm sheet metal (aluminum, stainless steel, or mild steel), and cut the switch holes into it using either laser, water jet, or CNC mill. Ideally you want someone that can hold 0.025mm tolerances, or as close to that as possible.

JIS 91-key layout is a standard, just like 87-key ANSI or 88-key ISO. Some keyboard manufacturers deviate from the standard and put odd sized keys in certain locations, but fortunately the QFR doesn't suffer that issue. :)
[/quote]

Ah, great, now I have specifics to work on asking people.

My CM QFR plate looks exactly the same like the one posted by grendel. Even has about the same quality of desoldering - generally clean and no harm done, but not perfect.

Guess my next move should be to look for that 'someone'. Can I ask you what kind of people do this cutting? Do you call them metal shops or what.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 15:43:07 »
Guess my next move should be to look for that 'someone'. Can I ask you what kind of people do this cutting? Do you call them metal shops or what.

Yes, metal shops. :)

in memoriam

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 15:54:30 »

Yes, metal shops. :)

Ah, I found this: http://www.themakerstore.com/faq.html

So I basically get some files from you and approach people like these? Sounds doable. I just hope prices won't be ridiculous. I don't think anyone wants a switch-moddable JIS board. Actually even I am just experimenting with JIS layout due to their many options on the first row.

At present I don't have stabs or space bar suitable for a JIS board.  :eek:

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 23:50:09 »
I need to call some machine shops in the area about some work I want done on a beam spring, so I can talk to them about getting this cut if you like. and I'm already shipping you stuff so it wont add any shipping cost.

no idea what their prices are like but we'll see.

stabilizers are normal costar plate mount type. They just need a rectangular hole in the plate. For spacebars, if they even need stabilizers, you can just use normal costar 2x ones. I have spares I can send if you need.

But I don't even know if they are stabilized on that model.

Another option is to politely contact cooler master about it. They don't usually have components for this sort of thing, but you never know! They might also have more info they can share about plates / keycaps.