Author Topic: Mashing on the buttons make my ergodox stop working  (Read 1160 times)

Offline vatin

Mashing on the buttons make my ergodox stop working
« on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 00:47:31 »
It happens especially on the top roll button of the right hand side. I guess the USB connection got shaken up a bit when those buttons got mashed. Would you think that would be the case? Replug the USB solves it. The problem is repeatable.

Another problem is I got only one LED working, the upper right one. Got any idea?

Thanks

Edit
To reiterate my point, by "mashing" I mean to hit the button extra hard that the board shaken. It doesn't occur when type with normal force. So driver issue is out of the question.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 July 2014, 08:50:03 by vatin »
OLKB Planck V6

Offline Zekromtor

• My Setup
Re: Mashing on the buttons make my ergodox stop working
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 08:05:07 »
Sounds like a flaw in the firmware.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 11:41:57 »
If it's the flexing of the PCB that causes it ... it's almost certainly a mediocre soldering job that's at fault.

...don't type so hard ...?

From what I've generally heard and seen, when the board becomes unresponsive but can be revitalized by un,re -plugging, the I/O expander gets blamed. You might try taking a heat gun and reflowing your joints on the MCP23018 ... might give you a bit more leeway on the flexing issue, although by and large we wouldn't expect a PCB to put up with actual flexing anyway, so this might just get called a non-issue over the course of time.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 21:58:29 »
Check your solders. This is the second post about random reboots/death of the Ergodox, so as I said in the other thread; your reset button might be activated and/or the reset pins being shorted.