Author Topic: Overwatch Discussion Thread  (Read 144725 times)

Offline dohbot

Overwatch Discussion Thread
« on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 19:46:57 »
Overwatch is a fun game. Please, share your experiences.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 June 2016, 01:53:08 by dohbot »
That GHer who likes sloths... A lot.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
Re: Overwatch?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 19:50:16 »
I'm hyped. Still no invite though :(

Offline dohbot

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 20:02:34 »
I'm hyped. Still no invite though :(

At least we're together in this sorrow  :'(

Offline yowaffle

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 20:05:32 »
I only know one person who is part of the closed beta and he likes it a lot so far. I'm really hoping to get an invite
V60 [MQC] | KC60 [Zealiostotles] | Leopold FC660c [Topre] |  Ducky Shine 4 [MX Brown] | MiniVan [Zealios]

Offline dohbot

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 20:15:02 »
I only know one person who is part of the closed beta and he likes it a lot so far. I'm really hoping to get an invite

By chance do you know his battletag and password?

Offline yowaffle

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 20:25:59 »

Unfortunately no :( we're not super close or anything so I don't feel comfortable asking
V60 [MQC] | KC60 [Zealiostotles] | Leopold FC660c [Topre] |  Ducky Shine 4 [MX Brown] | MiniVan [Zealios]

Offline dohbot

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 20:26:39 »

Unfortunately no :( we're not super close or anything so I don't feel comfortable asking
Damn.

Offline Flossed

• Hai
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 23:54:25 »
I can't wait until this game comes out in 2016... Much hype

Offline raymogi

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 00:01:47 »
I usually get access to Blizzard's beta relatively quickly but this time no luck so far. Maybe it's cause my playing time of their games is next to nothing now after I got into GH.

Might giveaway the beta code to GH member if I do get it.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 00:18:02 »
They're gonna make all the early adopters pay an entry fee,   THEN when the player base stabilizes and/or drops   they make it F2P

That's a good business model,  Assuming the game is worth playing..    If it's not good,  then it'll just die like the million other Freemium shooters.

Offline shibataken

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 06:54:09 »
I am pretty hyped, need a league replacement :D  I hope they clarify their stance on champions though.  If it is like HOTS I will probably not grind for it.  Too busy with real life XD

Offline My_Thoughts

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 07:28:36 »
Given the "quality" of most of Blizzards games of late I was going to try this as f2p, but with the price point I'm not going to get that chance it seems.

Offline Wannabe

• Independent Adjudicator
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 08:51:10 »
I'm pretty excited for this game. Haven't gotten into the beta. I am a little disappointed in Blizzard's reluctance to reveal their plans for content after release....whether new characters and maps will cost money etc.
I liek keyboards

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 08:57:26 »
I'm pretty excited for this game. Haven't gotten into the beta. I am a little disappointed in Blizzard's reluctance to reveal their plans for content after release....whether new characters and maps will cost money etc.

Blizzard is fking stupid...

Why is Steam so powerful, because they created a CORE player base using free content..

THat's exactly what blizzard / Origin should do..   Release a Triple A for free..  Create the player base for ur software,   THEN nickle and dime them with ****ty unsupported 3rd party stuff.

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 08:58:27 »
Overpriced and overrated.

Offline Wannabe

• Independent Adjudicator
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 12:36:39 »
I definitely think Blizzard should have looked to CS:GO for it's pricing model and cosmetics only store.
I liek keyboards

Offline zlittell

• My Projects
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 14:04:04 »
I really thought they would have looked at CSGO or TF2 especially since I felt they were trying to directly compete and surpass TF2 as a competitor?  Still the game looks awesome and I haven't found a single person in beta to be like "This game is absolute trash".

I got into hearthstone beta and barely used it because I was playing a lot of Pokemon in real life at the time so if I was going to play a virtual card game it would be play testing my decks in PTCGO to prepare for tourneys.  Wish I could trade with the gods of fate on this one haha.

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 14:14:41 »
Ive watched this since the first announcements. When the price was announced, i completely stopped watching it. Its not worth it, and that alone will make it fail.
B.Face HHKB - B.mini - Black/Purple Custom

Offline zlittell

• My Projects
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 14:29:21 »
I think its strange that the price is throwing everyone off so much.  I think that the market its trying to hit will not care about the price.  It's not meant to be a I play casually style game.  As someone who has spent about 900 hours on CSGO alone, I would pay much more for that many hours of fun.  I buy plenty of games that I put less than 25 hours into for as much as they are asking and because of the nature of the game, I know that I will get more than 25 hours out of this one.  On top of everyone praising it and that it won't be another flop of a PC port.  What more can you ask for?  I don't think the art style lends to weapon skins as much and honestly character skins can get kind of iffy in these situations.  Maybe armor sets?  I would hate to see them continuously add heroes only to mess up the balancing or so I have to remember 90 heroes and their abilities.  Granted there will be a handful that become tier 1 just like any other game.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 15:31:15 »
A friend of mine got in... made some videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfyc_2aRILP-9tuGIplTZgw

:D I'm seriously thinking of getting it. I love the graphics style and the gameplay looks really good to me.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 22:25:07 »
Got into the beta for the stress test this weekend, anyone else?

Have to say, this game is super fun and easy to pick up.

Offline dohbot

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 22:42:45 »
Got into the beta for the stress test this weekend, anyone else?

Have to say, this game is super fun and easy to pick up.

Nope, but I am salty.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 22:50:16 »
Got into the beta weekend. Not even going to download it.
Does that piss any of you off?
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline dohbot

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 22:52:00 »
:eek:

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 23:14:53 »
:eek:

If I'm going to play Overwatch, then I am going to binge it for more than just a weekend.
Plus, I would rather play the finished game so that I have a cleaner experience and keep my rewards.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 06:04:53 »
For those that don't know, there's the HiRez game paladins which is basically overwatch by another company.

However hirez is a whole other can of worms in terms of quality as a company.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 07:23:23 »
Interested...

But, will wait for established - playerbase before I dive..     I got burned by so many Steam games that just DIE out in a month.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 07:31:29 »
Interested...

But, will wait for established - playerbase before I dive..     I got burned by so many Steam games that just DIE out in a month.

Hirez is the creator of smite one of the best MOBAs there right now, probably just behind Dota and LoL
Smite has been out for several years now so I'm not too worried that Paladins will die too quickly.

Offline jaffers

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 07:33:04 »
One of my friends applied for the closed beta for ****s and gigs, he got in. Played 10 minutes of it, said it was boring and sold his account for 8 bucks ahahah

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 07:44:13 »
One of my friends applied for the closed beta for ****s and gigs, he got in. Played 10 minutes of it, said it was boring and sold his account for 8 bucks ahahah

it should be pretty good.. but i mean,, if you've played enough Fps-es  the whole genre regardless of minute differences, will feel stale.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 09:02:23 »

it should be pretty good.. but i mean,, if you've played enough Fps-es  the whole genre regardless of minute differences, will feel stale.

I'm not sure about overwatch but a big issue I find with paladins (which seems very similar) is that FPS skill is not nearly as important as, say, CSGO

Offline zlittell

• My Projects
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 15:10:02 »
Winding down on a weekend filled with overwatch and I have to say its pretty fun.  Needs a reward system of some sort and it should probably get rid of hidden MMR (opting for a visible one).  Those were my two largest complaints outside of UI tweaks that will come with time (easy way to see heroes abilities withing clicking on them, party issues, etc).  The 3 maps got stale after awhile but they are pretty looking and fun.

Its definitely not fps intensive like csgo.  Which is why I like it.  I am not looking for something to replace csgo, just something to supplement it when taking breaks through the day.  I like how short each game is, it's kind of refreshing to play a 10 minute or so game and be done.  It is absolutely MOBA-esque in the sense that you need to know your abilities and utilize them correctly.

My opinion is that it is easily worth the $40.  I would even pay that in its current state to have access.  If the console experience can mimic the PC then it would even be worth the $60

Offline dohbot

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 15:12:59 »
Winding down on a weekend filled with overwatch and I have to say its pretty fun.  Needs a reward system of some sort and it should probably get rid of hidden MMR (opting for a visible one).  Those were my two largest complaints outside of UI tweaks that will come with time (easy way to see heroes abilities withing clicking on them, party issues, etc).  The 3 maps got stale after awhile but they are pretty looking and fun.

Its definitely not fps intensive like csgo.  Which is why I like it.  I am not looking for something to replace csgo, just something to supplement it when taking breaks through the day.  I like how short each game is, it's kind of refreshing to play a 10 minute or so game and be done.  It is absolutely MOBA-esque in the sense that you need to know your abilities and utilize them correctly.

My opinion is that it is easily worth the $40.  I would even pay that in its current state to have access.  If the console experience can mimic the PC then it would even be worth the $60

As for the 3 map staleness, I have played over 100 hours (like my fourth most played game but all of it this summer) of Dirty bomb which had only 5 maps when I was playing, so as long as the gameplay is fun, I would be fine with it. Thanks for your review of it!

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 09:13:05 »

As for the 3 map staleness, I have played over 100 hours (like my fourth most played game but all of it this summer) of Dirty bomb which had only 5 maps when I was playing, so as long as the gameplay is fun, I would be fine with it. Thanks for your review of it!

Ugh... Dirty Bomb...

Not a bad design but there's a huge gap between the cards available to lvl 5s and those available to 20s which was almost always the level gap.

Offline zlittell

• My Projects
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 09:25:41 »

I also have about 900 hours of CSGO which is mainly the same active map pool of about 5-6 maps and that doesn't bother me as much either.  Granted there are the operations, but after the team plays them all for a bit only 1-2 get rotated in to our pool usually.  The 3 maps is just on the edge of not being enough.  With a 33% chance of getting a map it was common enough to play the same map 2-3 times in a row.  It didn't bother the team enough other than to say "It would be cool if we had more maps to play" and getting some agreement from the others.  Definitely going to be a fun game.  I am interested to see how they keep people around.  Character skins?  New heroes?  If it is a pay $X and forget type of game I am going to be disappointed.  I want the constant updates and new content that comes from a game you can sink money into.

Offline dohbot

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 15:39:04 »

Ugh... Dirty Bomb...

Not a bad design but there's a huge gap between the cards available to lvl 5s and those available to 20s which was almost always the level gap.

While that is true, the cards are not balanced loadouts, they have clear better ones which is really annoying making a bad meta without balance striking the idea of P2W, and since you have to buy mercs, you are also at a disadvantage but I really liked the gameplay elements so I played it for a while, hopefully when I get my beta invite to overwatch, the same thing won't happen (obviously in the P2W, I feel blizzard is trying to avoid that point entirely, but the point of staleness because of weapons, but at least since there are so many more heroes available it will be more entertaining in that regard.

Offline dohbot

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 15:41:51 »

I also have about 900 hours of CSGO which is mainly the same active map pool of about 5-6 maps and that doesn't bother me as much either.  Granted there are the operations, but after the team plays them all for a bit only 1-2 get rotated in to our pool usually.  The 3 maps is just on the edge of not being enough.  With a 33% chance of getting a map it was common enough to play the same map 2-3 times in a row.  It didn't bother the team enough other than to say "It would be cool if we had more maps to play" and getting some agreement from the others.  Definitely going to be a fun game.  I am interested to see how they keep people around.  Character skins?  New heroes?  If it is a pay $X and forget type of game I am going to be disappointed.  I want the constant updates and new content that comes from a game you can sink money into.

Hopefully since it is an upfront charge it won't have microtransactions that are game changing, I totally agree with what Total Biscuit said in his description of the beta, that I would be fine with expansions with like 10 new heroes and a few maps as long as it is only every year or so, and I would also like skins as long as you don't have to buy them in packs like you do with the origins edition, in that I would like maybe the tracer and the bastion skin, but I don't want the Pharah skin or the Soldier 76 skin, and I would prefer not to pay for them.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 15:44:15 »

Ugh... Dirty Bomb...

While that is true, the cards are not balanced loadouts, they have clear better ones which is really annoying making a bad meta without balance striking the idea of P2W, and since you have to buy mercs, you are also at a disadvantage but I really liked the gameplay elements so I played it for a while, hopefully when I get my beta invite to overwatch, the same thing won't happen (obviously in the P2W, I feel blizzard is trying to avoid that point entirely, but the point of staleness because of weapons, but at least since there are so many more heroes available it will be more entertaining in that regard.

In my experience, Blizzard is less pay to win which is something I like of them.
Besides the Real Money Auction House in D3 (which they removed), there's no pay to win there. Same goes for SC2 IIRC.
However Hearthstone is all about buying those packs...
That was the problem with Dirty Bomb for me. By level 5 I only obtained one more merc and was running all crappy cards with 1 effect, 2 if I was lucky with a drop.
I liked the mechanics a lot but the barriers were far too high.
I spend a lot on cosmetics (you should see my smite account or CSGO inventory) and frankly with the money that I've put into cosmetics I could easily buyout the requirement to win in a few pay to win gmaes but I just don't want to support those models.
Nexon is producing the Ghost in the Shell game which I was a beta tester for in the first round of closed beta. The mechanics there are kind of promising.

Offline dohbot

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 17:39:26 »
Anyone get into the beta?

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 17:40:26 »

I wish. I did get into the Legion Alpha, though.

Offline dohbot

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 17:43:45 »

I wish. I did get into the Legion Alpha, though.

Lucky! I don't play WoW but legion looks pretty cool.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 17:43:53 »
I've had it for a while... haven't really played.
I love Elzy

Offline Hexterdude

• I have a problem when it come to artisans
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 17:44:30 »

Can I haz your account?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 17:44:48 »
nah  blizz cracking down on acc sharing for overwatch beta
I love Elzy

Offline Hexterdude

• I have a problem when it come to artisans
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 17:45:23 »
nah  blizz cracking down on acc sharing for overwatch beta

NOOOOO

oh well, I'll just wait for the full release

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 17:46:42 »
Didn't get into this one, but I did get into the previous beta weekend.

Really liked what I saw. Very polished and refined as it stands - would easily be worthy of a "TF3" moniker. It needs some further balancing for some classes, but overall it's a damn fun game. Probably the game that will bring me back to multiplayer, along with Atlas Reactor (if it pans out).
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline dohbot

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 17:52:54 »

Luckyyyyy!

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 07:48:08 »
Got an invite for the tiny weekend thing a while back. The game is so much fun. If you are into FPS you will love it! Recorded a ton of matches as well :)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkxGYls0A6uyvqeZ_TidtNSP22VlYygJI
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 07:58:01 »
I'm still waiting to get an invite T.T 
Bought the game a long time ago..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 09:27:04 »
my puter' prolly can't even run this.