Author Topic: Dynamat Xtreme sound dampening plastic poker 2 case  (Read 4214 times)

Offline SixtyLife

Dynamat Xtreme sound dampening plastic poker 2 case
« on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 01:56:29 »
hello!

I've been using a stock poker 2 case for my gon nerd 60 and sprit 60 boards because I really love the aesthetics of the stock poker 2 case. I've tried Tex's aluminum cases, acrylic cases, sprit's acrylic case, and a thick aluminum Hammer clone case, but always end up coming back to the poker 2 case as I feel it has the perfect incline and love the non-low profile, thin bezels.

The biggest downside though, is that typing feel suffers greatly as the case creates a rather hollow plasticky sound even when typing on top of a mat. It's not as noticeable on the board with linears, but the ergo clears on my Nerd 60 feel terrible when typing with the case on vs just putting the PCB directly on a mat and typing.

I've tried many solutions including stuffing the case with compressible foam, but found that nothing really helped until I came across a post by CptBadAss nominating a build by RavenII where he applied strips of Dynamat to the bottom of the poker 2 stock case. I ordered some off Amazon here:
http://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-10415-Self-Adhesive-Deadener-Speaker/dp/B00020CATC

and today I was finally able to apply them:

At first I put down just 1 layer of dynamat to each section then tested it. Liking where it was going, I decided to continue to add more layers. since the poker sections are deeper the further back it goes, I applied 4 layers by the 4th section. I believe it should be ok to keep applying layers til you reach the the PCB level, but I left some space so that the diodes and pins wouldn't press against the dynamat.

The results are AMAZING. Knocking on plastic stock case now feels like I'm knocking against a rock. There's almost no echoing nor vibration and the case feels significantly heavier.

With hollow plastic sound gone, typing is a lot more pleasant and the boards sound very clean and crisp for both the ergo clear and the linears. I definitely recommend Dynamat Xtreme for anyone wishing to mod their case with sound dampening, very easy to cut and apply and only $18 for the speaker kit.

Big thanks to RavenII for documenting his mod!
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline SixtyLife

Re: Dynamat Xtreme sound dampening plastic poker 2 case
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 15:07:04 »
took me a couple days to realize, but the top layer on the dynamat is actually made of aluminum and was causing my keyboards to bug out every now and then(missing keypresses). solution was to put a layer of electrical tape over the aluminum layer:
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 15:17:32 »

The link where I mention the build is here. And the direct link to RavenII's buildlog is here.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 15:23:09 »
Very clever. I'm going to have to try this for sure!

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 15:50:29 »
I want to do this with my HHKB now... So much empty space in there.

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 16:03:29 »

The link where I mention the build is here. And the direct link to RavenII's buildlog is here.
thanks CPT!

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 16:08:30 »
Very clever. I'm going to have to try this for sure!
thanks! definitely recommend it as a cheap and easy fix.

I want to do this with my HHKB now... So much empty space in there.
I am tempted to do it for my hhkb as well, but more scared to do so with the hhkb being so expensive.

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 16:09:11 »
Thanks OP / CptBadAss / RavenIl.  I'll have to try this out on my pok3r.
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 16:12:12 »
here's the youtube video that really convinced me while I was doing further research on dynamat:

crazy how much difference in sound there is with just a layer of dynamat added