Author Topic: Cheddar Kaps Artisan Keycap Thread  (Read 6838 times)

Offline sircheddar

Cheddar Kaps Artisan Keycap Thread
« on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 00:17:15 »

Hello people!!

This is going to be where I document my key making adventures as best as I can! I am really hoping for some interaction, as I am starting to realize that sharing is probably the most important part of this hobby.

Pictures, formatting, and updates down the road!

Sale 1 Picture: I really just wanted to put my keys out there. I was having way too much fun making them at this point and couldn't even wait a second to start selling them.
138262-0

Sale 2 Picture: In my second sale, I basically started to try different profiles, and try to make different sets of matching keys. These were not sold in groups of 2-3 keys, and the formatting made it pretty hard for the buyers. Definitely, this sale was a huge learning experience, but fun none the less. Also, I found that the low interest in DSA artisans was something noteworthy.
138264-1

Derelict: This key I tried to make look rugged by adding material into the mould, and I tried to add a color scheme I thought matched the sort of abandonment theme. This is my favorite cap i've made for sure.
138268-2

Exploration of Space caps: This was a sale that I never held. I will be giving away all of the keys I was going to sell in this sale as I don't think it's right to sell keys that aren't consistent and high quality. This idea will not be dying tho. I have been upgrading my casting setting and making some investments, and I hope with time I will return to this theme, and produce some caps that people are really proud to display!
138270-3
138272-4
138283-5

This was my first successful topre keycap I ever made. It is currently residing with one of my good friends. I hope to revisit topre moulds when I feel ready to take on a new challenge. Getting the few mediocre topre key's I had was certainly a struggle, as they propose different challenges then that of mx keycaps.
138279-6

These three keys are really just to show some of the marble effects I have been playing around with. I am sure eventually i'll be doing a sale with this theme, as I feel like its a pretty classic sort of style (?).
138281-7

My progress towards getting a clear resin! This has been a long standing goal of mine to get a clear resin, and with my new vac set up, I have been able to do it.
138553-8

This is an image of one of my clear resin keys actually on top of a mold of mine! Its so clear!!!! I am really happy about the quality of resin I am getting at this point.
138555-9

Just a little miami glitter! A fun key I made. this was actually done before my vacuum chamber, so it is a good comparison with the pink one with glitter above.
138557-10

Hyperfuse, in my opinion, is one of the most stunning ways (along with miami and soware!). Here is a tab key design that i made to match the set.
140634-11

Teaser images from what hopefully will be my third keycap sale.
140636-12

SA marbled artisans. I really like how these are turning out. My keys, in general, often leave me with something to desire/improve on, but these are very pleasing to look at, for me. I will be making dangerzone, scooped f+j moulds, and the tallest row (row 5?), so that I can get some variety for the different SA sets out there.

edit: Exciting news: I held my first sale with some of the blue glitter gmk blanks and the SA marbled artisans in two colorways: Shallows and Dark waters. The blue glitter design was named Cosmic Ocean. The reception was great and I tried my best to get everyone keys, but unfortunately, and also fortunately, i failed at that! More sales to come in the following weeks!
140953-13

« Last Edit: Fri, 30 September 2016, 21:29:02 by sircheddar »
" I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. "

Offline sircheddar

Re: Cheddar Kaps Artisan Thread
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 00:17:38 »
reserved
" I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. "

Offline sircheddar

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 00:17:45 »
reserved

Offline sircheddar

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 00:17:54 »
feel free to ask any questions or whatever! <3
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 May 2016, 02:00:51 by sircheddar »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Cheddar Kaps Artisan Keycap Thread - PlsSayHiImLonely
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 04:22:15 »
Two sales down and now a thread?  That seems backwards :))

Anyway these are looking good, there's definitely a gap in the market for mods...

What's your casting setup?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline sircheddar

Re: Cheddar Kaps Artisan Keycap Thread - PlsSayHiImLonely
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 11:10:26 »
Two sales down and now a thread?  That seems backwards :))

Anyway these are looking good, there's definitely a gap in the market for mods...

What's your casting setup?

Hey suicidal orange,

Thanks for stopping by! I have always posted in group chats about my caps, but didn't have an interest in making a sort of blog style thread till now.

My casting set up has been no pressure or vac for all of the keys displayed, but I have recently put together a vac set up and am soon going to be getting a pressure set up as soon as you have time to do the needed research! I plan on posting pics of my workspace soon!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Cheddar Kaps Artisan Keycap Thread
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 17:29:56 »
You must be doing something right, doesn't look like you had a serious bubble problem to solve but if you move on to sculpted caps you'll be glad to have the extra kit :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline nugglets

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 17:46:37 »
I picked up 1, 2, 13 and 26 from the second sale and they are honestly some of my favorite caps! The color is awesome, and the 1.25u is perfect as a lighting modifier key.

As far as quality goes, I was really impressed. All the stems are perfect and any rough spots are very small and on the underside of the cap. The visible planes are immaculate.

Definitely looking forward to whatever you bring out next!
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 May 2016, 17:48:34 by nugglets »

Offline sircheddar

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 15:44:49 »
You must be doing something right, doesn't look like you had a serious bubble problem to solve but if you move on to sculpted caps you'll be glad to have the extra kit :)

I have a bit of a private collection in which I have made some personal caps for myself. They have been extremely complex designs, and I was still able to consistently produce them with no surface bubbles! I would feel confident continuing to more sculpted designs without pumps, but it just makes things easier, and makes trans resins look far better! Trans resins are definitely going to be in my next sale, as I think encapsulation is a really nice style.

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 15:46:31 »
kaps
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline sircheddar

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 15:46:52 »
I picked up 1, 2, 13 and 26 from the second sale and they are honestly some of my favorite caps! The color is awesome, and the 1.25u is perfect as a lighting modifier key.

As far as quality goes, I was really impressed. All the stems are perfect and any rough spots are very small and on the underside of the cap. The visible planes are immaculate.

Definitely looking forward to whatever you bring out next!

Your comment made my day. Really appreciate it! I will definitely keep you updated for my next sale. I expect to bring it out in 3 weeks, and for the next two weeks, work is my life ): ... But after that, I plan on doing a lot with casting as it is something I really enjoy'

Offline sircheddar

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 15:47:46 »
kaps

It's my attempt at being edgy /;

Offline ntw

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 18:05:58 »
love'em shiny blanks!!! the edges probably need some sanding
Wishlist: Hungrkey, Creamsicle Skullthulhu, MDMAver Skullthulhu, Goo, Taka

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 18:30:55 »
What's that one with Saturn on it?

Offline Reigning Hell

• Forever Fiending 4 a V2
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 19:07:04 »
Those space caps look great! Can't wait for the sale, I have my eyes out for an Esc fasho

Offline sircheddar

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 20:24:45 »
love'em shiny blanks!!! the edges probably need some sanding

Yeah, i agree, they always seem to. I am not sure how the best artisans get super clean edges, unless they end up sanding into the key slightly.

Offline sircheddar

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 20:25:56 »

It is just a hyperfuse color way'ed tab key that I made when messing around. I may end up pursuing the concept at a later date, but for now, it is on hold. i do still have the mould for it, but the design wasn't as clean as i had hoped.

Offline spiritanimals

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 25 June 2016, 10:47:10 »
I love the exploration of space caps. Have you ever though of making an outer-spacebar?  :eek: plllllease

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 25 June 2016, 22:56:45 »
I don't know why but I love keycaps with glitter in them. It's not my style at all, but there's something about it that draws me to them....

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 25 June 2016, 23:00:41 »

It is just a hyperfuse color way'ed tab key that I made when messing around. I may end up pursuing the concept at a later date, but for now, it is on hold. i do still have the mould for it, but the design wasn't as clean as i had hoped.

Oh, cool. It looks pretty neat!

Offline sircheddar

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 21:12:08 »
I love the exploration of space caps. Have you ever though of making an outer-spacebar?  :eek: plllllease

spacebar molds are kind of hard to make, so i may not tackle it for a while ]:

Offline sircheddar

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 21:12:39 »
I don't know why but I love keycaps with glitter in them. It's not my style at all, but there's something about it that draws me to them....

what is your style?

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 21:14:59 »

what is your style?
The stuff from the recent Krap sale was amazing to me.
Lots of Bros look amazing to me. And also the KeyForge Saber and Frankenfurts.

Sent from my stinky butt.

Offline sircheddar

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 13:48:07 »

what is your style?

i totally agree that the newest krap sale was awesome. ima fan of bro aswell, esp cosmo stuff. so it sounds like you are a more sculpted artisan person over blanks?

Offline sircheddar

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 17:01:10 »
Giving a way a few b stock keycaps from my box of a million b stocks. First person CONUS to private message, i will send you a few of them! I am not sure how often i will do this, and i hope its not breaking any rules haha. i will reply to this after i get a winner dude

Offline sircheddar

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 19:31:05 »
Giving a way a few b stock keycaps from my box of a million b stocks. First person CONUS to private message, i will send you a few of them! I am not sure how often i will do this, and i hope its not breaking any rules haha. i will reply to this after i get a winner dude

okie guys we got a winner

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 19:38:07 »
Crap! Didn't even see this.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 20:41:59 »

what is your style?

i totally agree that the newest krap sale was awesome. ima fan of bro aswell, esp cosmo stuff. so it sounds like you are a more sculpted artisan person over blanks?
Yeah that's probably true. I just haven't found blanks that would look good on my keyboard. I am looking though 😃

Offline sircheddar

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 05 July 2016, 11:30:38 »
Going away for a week, when I am back expect another sale soon!

Offline spiritanimals

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 14:27:17 »
Can't wait to see what's in store for your next sale. Thanks for the B-Stock!  :D

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 14:39:26 »
Can't wait to see what's in store for your next sale. Thanks for the B-Stock!  :D

The B-stocks are dippity-dope. I hope that planet sculpt gets some lovin' in future sales.

Offline sircheddar

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 11:34:33 »

The B-stocks are dippity-dope. I hope that planet sculpt gets some lovin' in future sales.

i think the reason why i haven't considered putting my sculpts out yet is that they are super challenging to get smooth. i just don't feel satisfied with them yet unfortunately. but I may produce small amounts. i did give one away in my last sale, but its really the only one in the wild, and is definitely a b stock cap quality wise.

Offline sircheddar

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 20 August 2016, 18:33:29 »
bump