Author Topic: DSA hardwood keycaps shipping now  (Read 5711 times)

Offline mountainblocks

• mountainblocks.com
DSA hardwood keycaps shipping now
« on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 15:55:39 »

Hey everybody! I'm excited to announce the release of the new version of my hardwood keycaps. The age old problem with wooden keycaps has always been the weakness of the stems and the time it takes to machine them. I decided to tackle this problem head-on and develop my own plastic stem inserts. I've got DSA caps in walnut and cherry available for immediate sale on my site https://mountainblocks.com. This initial test run are being sold unfinished so you can save some money and have the option to finish them however you want. I'm looking for feedback on what profiles and configurations I should develop next. I plan to do DSA backspace and space bars in the short term, and then probably do SA next. Let me know what you think!

Offline dangboy

• yes
Re: DSA hardwood keycaps shipping now
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 11:14:48 »
Oh man these look super nice.... any hope for XDA profile?

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 11:25:07 »
I understand these must be extremely time consuming to make, the current price point really only works for accent keys.

What would be the possibility of an entire blank keyset, finished, not costing a thousand bucks?

Also what are the options for those that do not want to feel the lettering?

Offline mountainblocks

• mountainblocks.com
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 18:46:11 »
Oh man these look super nice.... any hope for XDA profile?

Thanks! Maybe. I'm working on more DSA sizes, and I plan to do SA next. I haven't had many requests for XDA, so it would be a long ways off.

Offline mountainblocks

• mountainblocks.com
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 18:58:02 »
I understand these must be extremely time consuming to make, the current price point really only works for accent keys.

What would be the possibility of an entire blank keyset, finished, not costing a thousand bucks?

Also what are the options for those that do not want to feel the lettering?

I don't even plan on offering whole keysets because of the prohibitive price. Even though I've made big gains in production speed over the last year, reductive manufacturing is always going to be slower and more expensive than injection molding.

I do plan on offering these finished soon, but of course they will be more expensive.

I suppose if you want lettering that isn't recessed, laser marking or some sort of printing would work, but I'm not equipped for that. I don't find the recessed legends to be that noticeable when typing, but I've just used them on accent keys and not as a daily driver.