Author Topic: Initial thoughts on Box Royal Switches  (Read 17193 times)

Offline Kavik

Initial thoughts on Box Royal Switches
« on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 13:19:19 »
I just completed a build with Box Royals. It's a TKC-1800, so it's a fairly flexible plastic case with a metal plate. I've currently only used sculpted SA keycaps on them. Also full disclosure: I am a clicky switch person, but I don't like clicky exclusively and do like to change things up occasionally.

My initial reaction is that they are not mind-blowing, but they are very "normal". I think this may be better than mind-blowing because they will be enjoyable for the long haul. They are definitely more tactile than Zealios, which disappointed me to be honest (this adjective clause modifies Zealios, not the entire preceding clause). The Box Royals have a sharp tactility akin to a heavy rubber dome but without the sponginess and short travel (BLASPHEMY); I don't consider this a bad thing.

They are a little bit heavy, but I prefer heavy switches (Buckling spring and Box Navies are my current favorites). They do seem to tire my fingers out a little bit, but I always get used to this after a while. This tiring effect could also be caused by SA keycaps on a keyboard that already feels large and spread out however. The tactility is more pronounced than Zealios and the sound is deeper and "thicker" sounding. The sound really reminds me more of a vintage keyboard. To those of you that like to type without bottoming out, you probably will not like these switches. It is barely possible to type without bottoming out; although that's never been my strong suit anyway.

I do need to try these with some other keycaps profiles, but, as of now, I think SA pairs nicely with them. Just as with Box Navies, the SA keycaps seem to take the edge off of the high weight and extreme tactility and put them in that "just right" category.

8.5/10

MY ONLY GRIPE IS THAT KAILH BOX SWITCHES NEED PCB MOUNTING LEGS! As I posted in another thread I had to do some PCB surgery because I'd soldered in the BACKSLASH key crooked (and subsequently lifted the pads and burnt the PCB trying to fix it). It took several attempts to get the switch straight because most plates are too open in that area to allow for ISO Enter and consequently do not support the BACKSLASH key very well; in this case, the PCB mount legs help immensely. 
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 June 2018, 19:31:16 by Kavik »
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline molecularronin

Re: Initial thoughts on Box Royal Switches
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 17:33:49 »
I have only limited experience with Box Royals, but I felt like they were sort of the Walmart Great Value version of Holy Pandas. I think that might be a little disingenuous of me though, because your rating does seem to be about right -- they're a great switch, no argument from me.

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 18:09:27 »
My first run with box royals I thought they were OK but not as refined as switches coming from Zeal. I'm working on lubing them to see if that takes a little of the edge off. So far it seems to improve refinement but I still need to solder them in my board to know for sure.

Offline wowremy

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 21:12:37 »
How do the Royals compare to Hako True/Clears?

Offline Duckunderscore

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 22:11:25 »
i want to try these out since I like the BKE domes I have, but I don't know if i can get around the sound royals make on the initial press

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 22:40:50 »
How do the Royals compare to Hako True/Clears?

Couldn't be more different. Royals are much more tactile and have lighter springs. They're also much louder. Hakos and Royals almost polar opposites on the tactility spectrum.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 23:23:47 »
i want to try these out since I like the BKE domes I have, but I don't know if i can get around the sound royals make on the initial press

How do you mean? They are a little loud for tactile switches, but I find the sound pleasant. I watched a typing demo of them a while back that didn't sound very flattering, but it wasn't quite accurate IMO.

Offline MrDongblaster

• Diet Dr. Pepper Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 20:14:11 »
How much shorter is the travel compared to the Zealios? Currently planning to build and have both on my list at this time.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 11:11:00 »
How much shorter is the travel compared to the Zealios? Currently planning to build and have both on my list at this time.

I thought they were both 4mm, and I can't really tell a difference in travel. So far I prefer the Royals, but most people prefer Zealios from what I can tell.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 12:29:00 »
All box switches have slightly shorter travel than standard MX switches but it's not really enough to be noticeable.

Offline MrDongblaster

• Diet Dr. Pepper Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 00:49:55 »
All box switches have slightly shorter travel than standard MX switches but it's not really enough to be noticeable.

I thought they were both 4mm, and I can't really tell a difference in travel. So far I prefer the Royals, but most people prefer Zealios from what I can tell.

Good to know. Didn't sound like it would be a big hang up. Do the boxes best the zealios on stability?

Offline befbef

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 18:52:26 »
Unfortunately it is noticeable. I'm usually typing with very few bottoming out. But with Box switches it's more difficult and it often hits me by surprise. I'm using White and Red. For Royals that shouldn't matter because to type without bottoming out the travel would have to be 8mm long.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 10:22:11 »

Good to know. Didn't sound like it would be a big hang up. Do the boxes best the zealios on stability?

Wobble doesn't really bother me that much, but, in my testing, the Royals seem less wobbly than Zealios side-to-side but about the same vertically. Royals seem ever so slighly wobblier than Navies.

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 00:21:36 »
Update: lubing box royals makes a world of difference. Used Krytox 207 and it really seemed to take the edge off. I'm enjoying them a lot more than when they were stock.  :thumb: