Author Topic: Looking for mechanical keyboard that feels like rubber dome but better.  (Read 4447 times)

Offline Help.Me

I need some expert help! I'm looking for a modern mechanical keyboard that feels like rubber dome or a recommendation for a very good rubber dome board with a nice hard bump. The key should have it's tactile bump right at the start or very close to it like rubber domes do also the key travel should be 2.5 - 3mm long with 55g or more force to press. Is there such a mechanical keyboard? Or maybe there is a way to modify one so it feels like described? Here are the few I tried already: Romer-G, MX blue with o rings, MX brown with o rings, Razer mecha membrane.The closest so far was the Romer-G switch but the bump is waaaay to light and it needs only 45g.

Offline JianYang

Re: Looking for mechanical keyboard that feels like rubber dome but better.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 05 August 2018, 03:28:46 »
Why not just get a rubber dome?

Offline Auslander

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 05 August 2018, 03:33:59 »
55g Topre Realforce
HHKB JP | Realforce 104UB-DK | HHKB Pro 2

Offline JoeriW

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 05 August 2018, 03:53:34 »
Get a topre board with BKE domes? Or get a slightly cheaper plum and put BKE domes in it but I'm not sure how well they fit.

Offline rxc92

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 05 August 2018, 09:40:59 »
55g Topre Realforce

Seconded, the 45g is reasonably tactile but the 55g is more so.

Offline ag36

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 05 August 2018, 13:03:47 »
Model M rubber dome is great.
Model M*5, SSK*4, M13 black*1, Model F XT*1, AT*1 F107*1, Unicomp*1, 3278 *1, Leopold FC750R*2, 980M*2 FC980C*1 Filco majestouch 2 TKL*1, Cooler Master MasterKeys S PBT*1, Uniqey Q100*2, Ducky pocket*1, KBD75*2, KBD19X*2, HHKB pro 2*1, Type-S*1 Topre Realforce RGB*1, 108 all 30g*1, numpad*1, 87U*1 Dell AT101W*2, Alps64*2, V80 matias quiet click*2, Quiet liner *1, WYSE ASCII *1

Offline Tactile

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 05 August 2018, 13:26:48 »
Model M rubber dome is great.

These were sometimes called "Enhanced Quiet Touch" and I agree that it would be a good choice for the OP.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 05 August 2018, 21:31:41 »
Look for an old BTC dome with slider.  Really good, easy to find and cheap.

Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 06 August 2018, 07:27:29 »
Bottom actuation often leads to bad typing habits.

Make sure you make an attempt to bottom out with the least pressure necessary to actuate the keys.

Much of the time bottom out actuation leads people to press too hard and Hold down the keys.  This leads to rapid fatigue, and RSI such as carpel tunnel.

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 06 August 2018, 08:56:55 »
55g Topre Realforce

Seconded, the 45g is reasonably tactile but the 55g is more so.

55g Topre is a horrible switch, both for typing and gaming.  I'd like to say it's the perfect switch for someone who grew up on crappy  rubber domes and had to bottom out every keystroke with force for the thing to register, but it's not even that good.  They're so stiff and need so much force to actuate that every keystroke will bottom out.  (They're also specifically called out as bad for people with arthritis because of the impact on one's finger joints.)

45g Topre or BKE Ultra Lights are a reasonable choice.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 06 August 2018, 11:52:11 »
Keyboards with Cherry MX Clear, purple Zealio, purple Outemu or Matias Quiet switches. The first three are Cherry MX and clones and feel a lot alike differing mostly after the tactile bump.
The Matias Quiet feels more like a rubber dome IMHO, being a clone of a vintage switch that was often confused for one.

All are relatively unusual, however. The Zealio are practically only for DIY enthusiasts.
The Matias switches are mostly in Matias' own keyboards such as the Matias QuietPro.

Topre are rubber domes, but good ones. The Topre Realforce keyboards have good build quality and you get 6KRO (or NKRO these days?).

Offline jamster

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 07 August 2018, 00:59:48 »
High quality rubber dome with high actuation force? Topre 55 is exactly that.

IMO no Cherry/Cherry-type switch feels like rubber dome to me. Some feel good, but certainly not like quality rubber dome. Ergo-clears feel vaguely similar, but there's too much lateral movement over Topre to give the same quality impressions. Oh, and the higher force MX style switches, because they have linear springs, will ramp up in force with key travel and not feel anything like rubber dome.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 August 2018, 01:03:16 by jamster »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 07 August 2018, 03:08:55 »
Look for an old BTC dome with slider.  Really good, easy to find and cheap.

Seconded. A BTC should serve you really well at $10 or so.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 07 August 2018, 05:10:06 »

Make sure you make an attempt to bottom out with the least pressure necessary to actuate the keys.

Much of the time bottom out actuation leads people to press too hard and Hold down the keys.  This leads to rapid fatigue, and RSI such as carpel tunnel.
You mean like all those people pounding MX reds?

Yes, bottom activation can make you press too hard (I hate analog buttons on consoles), but I don't think I've ever seen a rubber dome that bottoms out as hard as MX switches can. Rubber domes give even after bottoming out, MX switches are like hitting a brick wall due to hard plastic crashing into hard plastic, and without a tactile bump most people have no way to know if it activated for sure unless they bottom out.

If you want to talk about stress injuries, I would argue the harsh bottom out is worse.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Pavilions

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 07 August 2018, 06:44:00 »
Topre is good, but it's not rubber dome, the feeling is different, so I think it's better for you to try it first and then decide. The only issue it's hard to find a Topre keyboard to test, I ordered mine without trying it, and it's okay, but I prefer other mechanical keyboards.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 07 August 2018, 07:26:09 »

But in the thread about whether mechanical keebs alone are healthier...

Nope,  if it's flat, and NOT Split,  then it is just as harmful as any other flat keyboard..

*onionheadthinking.gif*

Offline ag36

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 07 August 2018, 20:23:58 »
In terms of split and extra tactile though, matias ergo pro with silent tactile might be a good choice but reviews says it chatters.
Model M*5, SSK*4, M13 black*1, Model F XT*1, AT*1 F107*1, Unicomp*1, 3278 *1, Leopold FC750R*2, 980M*2 FC980C*1 Filco majestouch 2 TKL*1, Cooler Master MasterKeys S PBT*1, Uniqey Q100*2, Ducky pocket*1, KBD75*2, KBD19X*2, HHKB pro 2*1, Type-S*1 Topre Realforce RGB*1, 108 all 30g*1, numpad*1, 87U*1 Dell AT101W*2, Alps64*2, V80 matias quiet click*2, Quiet liner *1, WYSE ASCII *1

Offline f32h80fsd08h34r5

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 12:31:34 »
BTC5100c has an awesome key-feel, they are also incredibly cheap!