Author Topic: Xbox One Discussion Thread  (Read 24447 times)

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Re: Xbox One Discussion Thread
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 12:14:32 »
I would like to know how they can prove it's a hacked PS3... seriously that's kind of baffling to me, and I'm VERY interested.  Especially when unregistered disc copies used online lead to console ban/removal from online play.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 12:25:08 »
I would like to know how they can prove it's a hacked PS3... seriously that's kind of baffling to me, and I'm VERY interested.  Especially when unregistered disc copies used online lead to console ban/removal from online play.

It may not he a hacked PS3, I'm using knowledge from the 360 scene, where in order to run a custom lobby, you need to have a hacked xbox. I don't know how PS3 hacked lobbies work.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #152 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 12:46:28 »
I don't see how Steam is better in every way possible if the only major difference is the ability to play offline for two weeks instead of 24 hours

Then you're not really engaging in my argument.

What happens when XBL goes down? (it does it fairly often (as does psn))... what happens when they do maintenance, what happens if when its trying to check in my router goes ape**** and crashes (and thanks to it being a BT router I have to use it does this ALOT)?

It's not that its a hurdle for customers (like paying for MP was on the 360) its a brickwall.

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #153 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 13:01:13 »

What happens when XBL goes down? (it does it fairly often (as does psn))... what happens when they do maintenance, what happens if when its trying to check in my router goes ape**** and crashes (and thanks to it being a BT router I have to use it does this ALOT)?

It's not that its a hurdle for customers (like paying for MP was on the 360) its a brickwall.

I don't keep up with online service downtime, but I thought they both had pretty good track records in recent years (other than that huge PSN hack, and early holiday seasons). So what if you have a ****ty router, that's a hurdle, not a brick wall, I'm pretty sure if when you turn on your console to play games, and your router ****s out, you wouldn't throw your hands in the air and say "oh well, I'll try again later" you'd just... fix your router? I guess I like to live a very connected life, where if I'm home and I don't have internet, I'm actively working to restore it, not just waiting for the problem to fix itself while cursing DRM methods out to myself.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #154 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 13:04:42 »

I don't keep up with online service downtime, but I thought they both had pretty good track records in recent years (other than that huge PSN hack, and early holiday seasons). So what if you have a ****ty router, that's a hurdle, not a brick wall, I'm pretty sure if when you turn on your console to play games, and your router ****s out, you wouldn't throw your hands in the air and say "oh well, I'll try again later" you'd just... fix your router? I guess I like to live a very connected life, where if I'm home and I don't have internet, I'm actively working to restore it, not just waiting for the problem to fix itself while cursing DRM methods out to myself.

The point I was making about my router is that if it craps out and I go to fix it (turn it off and on again), if my xbone tries to authenticate during that time and fails... does it then kick me out of my game? We don't know... and that's a problem... what if a phone line goes down (happens I live in the country side) and my net is down for a weekend or so (which has also happened)... that means my console is useless... but I suppose I can watch live TV though it... oh wait no it can't even access the built in DVR...

It's a brickwall becasue there is no getting around its authentication unless you hack your machine.

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #155 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 13:21:41 »
The point I was making about my router is that if it craps out and I go to fix it (turn it off and on again), if my xbone tries to authenticate during that time and fails... does it then kick me out of my game? We don't know... and that's a problem... what if a phone line goes down (happens I live in the country side) and my net is down for a weekend or so (which has also happened)... that means my console is useless... but I suppose I can watch live TV though it... oh wait no it can't even access the built in DVR...

It's a brickwall becasue there is no getting around its authentication unless you hack your machine.

With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies. 

from http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/connected

So as it stands right now, yes if your internet is out for a weekend, you will not be able to play games, however you should be able to still use TV and other features of your console.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #156 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 15:54:20 »
does anyone here not have broadband?

or does anyone have spotty internet?

or has a bad router but getting a wired ethernet isn't that feasable (i mean 100ft ethernet cable is cheap, like 20bucks so really it's just the routing that is the issue, heck i have my ethernet cable go out from my bedroom to my backyard, to my dining room door, to my htpc (i have it connected with a projector so it's easy that way). Heck my nephew lifes on the 4th floor, his mom lives on the 3rd floor, right on top of one another, he said for years his internet has been spotty, so i dropped a wire from the 4thfloor to the 3rd, put some foam to hold the wire in place + insulate it when closed.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #157 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 17:20:15 »
So as it stands right now, yes if your internet is out for a weekend, you will not be able to play games, however you should be able to still use TV and other features of your console.

that's ridiculous. you're paying 500 for a "gaming" console but if your internet goes out it's worthless.

i dont get what is so hard to understand why people are against this and the xbone as a whole.

or how about the next gen? microsoft says the xbone is future proof. but when the next gen comes out and MS abandons this.. then what?

i just dont understand how so called "gamers" can back this sorry excuse for a console up.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #158 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 17:23:11 »
Nintendo master race!

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #159 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 18:31:33 »
Nintendo is like the younger brother that wants to hang out with the older kids but just isn't old enough. Poor Nintendo.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #160 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 18:51:23 »
While you all fight and whine and bicker with the big boy systems, I'll be content with my dated tech playing rehashed games. Just happy as a pig in ****. :)

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #161 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 18:52:43 »

that's ridiculous. you're paying 500 for a "gaming" console but if your internet goes out it's worthless.

i dont get what is so hard to understand why people are against this and the xbone as a whole.

if

That's not a problem for me, I don't get what's so hard to understand about that, I have decent internet, that has absolutely minimal downtime, maybe a few hours a year due to either power outage (can't play anyways), or me ****ing around with network settings (I broke it, I can fix it). I understand that some people have ****ty internet, get a PS4, keep your 360, play with your SNES.

I don't understand why people are against it as a whole, just because of one thing that doesn't affect me in the slightest. Like I said a few posts ago, I like that I can buy any game Day-One and have it downloaded to my console, I like that there is twitch.tv integration, I like that there is skype integration, I like Xbox. Just because some people are affected by the 24 hour thing, doesn't mean I should join the internet circlejerk about how Sony is da bes and Microsoft will literally roll over and die because of how bad the Xbox One is.

This is a discussion thread, I keep bringing up points to discuss, and everyone else just likes spouting about how bad the 24 hour internet is. I get it, I agree with you, it's bad, is there literally nothing else to talk about with the Xbox One?

One thing that I would find interesting, is if they put Office 365 on the One, I feel that isn't too much to ask for, and would be a very interesting prospect for people such as myself and my peers who want to play video games, but sometime need to do actual work. Why not put some form of the Office Suite on the One and allow people to plug in a Keyboard and Mouse and do their projects on their gaming console! I mean, it's already running a "modified windows (8) kernel" on x86 with DDR3 memory, how hard could it actually be to port something like that to the Xbox One.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #162 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 18:54:06 »
Kirkle, you know....you can't bring your Xbox 1 to my rape cottage to game side by side for days.

That goes double for youngmichael. And yes, that's a very legitimate concern of mine.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #163 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 19:04:39 »
The problem I, and others, have with the Xbone is that it is needlessly unfriendly to consumers. Sure, the always-on thing might not be an issue for many, but it's something that didn't need to be there and is there to primarily benefit publishers rather than the consumers. Everything about the Xbone, and publisher practices in general, seems to be about pushing the problems created by the publishers onto the consumers.

I'm not really a console gamer so I'm not gonna bother going too in-depth here. Basically; the Xbox is needlessly consumer-unfriendly solely for the benefit of MS and game publishers and there's no real benefit for the consumer to justify this.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #164 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 23:01:43 »
25434-0

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #165 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 04:07:38 »
One of the coolest things about the ps3 is that it's region free and that I can create an American/Japanese account on one machine which means even if some game only comes out in Japan or America... I can still play it. That is awesome and is something that is being carried over to ps4.

360 won't even let you change the country you live it...

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #166 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 05:09:27 »

lulz

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #167 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 15:48:14 »
http://kotaku.com/microsoft-is-removing-xbox-one-drm-514390310

Microsoft: "whoops"

No more always online requirement
  • The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours
  • All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360
  • Authentication is no longer necessary
  • An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
  • All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline
  • No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs
  • Region locks have been dropped
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 June 2013, 15:50:49 by JesuswasaZombie »

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #168 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 15:59:33 »
this sums it up pretty well,

Rouger:  they did a full 360
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline RougeR

« Reply #169 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 16:07:36 »
damage is done, but this will likely have saved the console

>buying consoles

id only get one for split screen but not worth it.
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #170 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 16:15:13 »
damage is done

Dat understatement; 50% of pre-orders lost haha!
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Lanx

« Reply #171 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 16:42:10 »
you have to wonder, just how dumb are these execs at microsoft to think that this would play over well?

either way, they still should have pre-price dropped it to match the ps4, otherwise it's still being p'ownd

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #172 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 17:38:22 »
you have to wonder, just how dumb are these execs at microsoft to think that this would play over well?

either way, they still should have pre-price dropped it to match the ps4, otherwise it's still being p'ownd

It's still got more features and is slightly more powerful than the PS4, even so. I'm hoping that the removal of the DRM features will leave the One open to so nifty mods and customization like we saw with the original Xbox and the Dreamcast. Fingers crossed with this abrupt change they overlooked some things that can be exploited to modders whims.

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #173 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 18:45:42 »
To you guys saying "damage is done, RIP Xbox" you do realize, there is still MONTHS before anyone gets their hands on one of these. You also realize only a small percentage of people who will buy a console care about E3 announcements, I'd wager, to the majority of people, all they got out of these past few weeks was "Oh a new xbox, when's it coming out?" Trust me, the internet has an attention span of about 3 weeks, after those are up, noone will give two-****s about Microsoft's proposed "E3 DRM" methods.

I'm kinda bummed they took out the Family-Share feature and the ability to play all games without discs :/

Only thing left to circlejerk over is the $40 price difference for a more advanced camera and software experience.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #174 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 22:44:26 »
I'm back in the Xbox camp baby!!

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #175 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 22:45:12 »

now we can go hang out in halverson's love cabin and play xbox games!

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #176 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 23:07:31 »

now we can go hang out in halverson's love cabin and play xbox games!
Oh you're coming too?!?! Mmmmm

Offline bear95

« Reply #177 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 23:29:28 »
this sums it up pretty well,

Rouger:  they did a full 180

FTFY

Offline Lanx

« Reply #178 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 14:59:42 »
but why would anyone want xboxone vs ps4?

i mean they're basically the same machine, xbox has the edge in kinect motion crap... but that's all it is, still crap and that's why you're forced to pay a 100 premium, and again i wouldn't mind it i actually have a kinect and i know the next gen kinect will be better, but the games will always be ****.

why? cuz i have 2 left feet, i have zero rhythm, and dance like a white guy. But because i've been gaming all my life, i'm able to beat non gamers who vary from "some dancing" to omg they look awesome, in just dance, because all the game boils down to is "hitting a move", and i have just dance 1/2/3, it's all the same (we got tired of the crappy game play and never bought 4). Now i use just dance as an example, because it's probably the only legitamate game for the kinect besides kinect sports (that comes with it).

right now it just boils down to exclusives and i guess if you really are tied down to your gamertag. also everyone i know that has a 360 has had a rrod (i don't, cuz i have the much later model), why would you chance it?

Offline bear95

« Reply #179 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 17:47:19 »
right now it just boils down to exclusives and i guess if you really are tied down to your gamertag. also everyone i know that has a 360 has had a rrod (i don't, cuz i have the much later model), why would you chance it?

Among my friends, most are getting xbone because of Destiny. I guess that's all that matters to them and they're willing to pay for the price difference for that single exclusive.

Offline bear95

« Reply #181 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 09:30:19 »
Really... didn't know that... my bad... but I think my friends(including me) are associating Destiny with halo and think that it will be xbox exclusive such as halo was. I should tell my friends than :P

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #182 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 09:35:53 »
Exclusive footage of the Xbox One production line:

Offline bigx333

« Reply #183 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 12:22:33 »
The XONE is a better media center, if you are into it OFC.

I'm a Halo fan so since they changed the policies for me it's a no brainer, the only thing that bothers me is the fact that it isn't gonna be available in South Africa in the launch.

but why would anyone want xboxone vs ps4?

i mean they're basically the same machine, xbox has the edge in kinect motion crap... but that's all it is, still crap and that's why you're forced to pay a 100 premium, and again i wouldn't mind it i actually have a kinect and i know the next gen kinect will be better, but the games will always be ****.

why? cuz i have 2 left feet, i have zero rhythm, and dance like a white guy. But because i've been gaming all my life, i'm able to beat non gamers who vary from "some dancing" to omg they look awesome, in just dance, because all the game boils down to is "hitting a move", and i have just dance 1/2/3, it's all the same (we got tired of the crappy game play and never bought 4). Now i use just dance as an example, because it's probably the only legitamate game for the kinect besides kinect sports (that comes with it).

2TU | LZ-GH

Offline bear95

« Reply #184 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 15:16:17 »
Exclusive footage of the Xbox One production line:

Show Image

lololololololol

Offline Lanx

« Reply #185 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 20:27:00 »
i think the "halo" and "bungie" exclusive thing went bust when bungie split from microsoft and went to activision, which publishes games for both platforms. besides halo is now done by 343.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #186 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 22:14:13 »
i think the "halo" and "bungie" exclusive thing went bust when bungie split from microsoft and went to activision, which publishes games for both platforms. besides halo is now done by 343.

Not that it matters. I haven't seen any innovation in the series since 2.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #187 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 00:00:53 »
Was never a Halo fan myself. Mostly because I'm horrible at it....

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #188 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 21:09:54 »

that makes two of us.

never bothered to play MP because i know i'd get owned and rage quit.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #189 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 22:42:39 »

that makes two of us.

yea that's exactly it. Spend 99% of the time dead.

Offline bear95

« Reply #190 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 22:54:31 »

that makes two of us.

yea that's exactly it. Spend 99% of the time dead.

Yep... and pistols were op.