Author Topic: Unicomp and Model M replacement  (Read 3744 times)

Offline bettablue

• Geeks with a Grudge. Gotta Love'em
    • All Things DOS
Unicomp and Model M replacement
« on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 21:26:55 »
I have heard that Unicomps's Cusomizer and the IBM model M keyboards are  interchangable.  But how far does that interchangablity go?  Are the controller boards, circuit membrane layer, LED, and main keyboard switch assemblies all swapable?  

I am interested in possibly modding my model M to swap out the controller to install one that is USB rady.  Is this something I want to do?  Since I already have to do the bolt mod, I was wondering if I should go the whole rout of modding/upgrading it all while I have everything apart.  What other upgrades do you think I really should lok at?  I am already considering changing the LEDs to something of a different color too.  

The only thing I am worried about is if I have the fine motor control and manual dexterity to perform some of the work myself.  Trust me, I want to do it all on my own, but being disabled with only one good working arm makes impossible for me to hold certain tools and parts correctly to perform some tasks.  

Where do I go if I can't do the bolt mod for instance?  What are your thoughts?
Vintage Computer user, and collector, specializing in the IBM 5150 Personal Computer, the World\'s first REAL PC!
Keyboards - IBM Model M X 2, IBM AT X 2, IBM KB8923, Apple IIe, and Mac SE boards. 

-----------------IBM Think!---------------------

Offline Pylon

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 21:43:32 »
Depends on the model M you have. Unicomp sells a 42H1292 derivative. The USB controllers for their boards will probably only work with 42H1292 boards, not earlier 52Gs or 1391401s, which I believe have a different controller.

There's this, but you might not be able to do that due to your disability. You might be able to pay another geekhack member to make it for you though.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 21:57:16 »
So, if the keyboard is working as is - and has a working PS/2 connection (even by way of AT adapter) I'm missing why you'd want to replace or create a controller like that when you could just buy a Blue Cube if you need USB for some reason. So, why would you need to do this? What benefits do you get?

I mean, I guess you could buy/find one without a detachable cable if it had one and do it to avoid getting one. Or if the original cord was damaged beyond repair for ones you cannot detach. That way you could continue to/start to use a keyboard that would otherwise be useless to anyone. Other than that I'm drawing a blank.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline theferenc

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 22:16:55 »
Short answer: because he can?

Though to be honest, I'm also curious. If you're thinking about buying a controller from Unicomp, why not just get a Customizer? They really do feel very similar to even the 80's Model M keyboards (I have both).

Plus, if it's a layout issue, you could even talk to them about custom controllers. I know they are willing to do it, for a small fee. I've actually been considering selling my older, bolt modded Ms to get a couple new Unicomps in their place.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline bettablue

• All Things DOS
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 23:47:59 »
Quote from: theferenc;303923
Short answer: because he can?

Though to be honest, I'm also curious. If you're thinking about buying a controller from Unicomp, why not just get a Customizer? They really do feel very similar to even the 80's Model M keyboards (I have both).

Plus, if it's a layout issue, you could even talk to them about custom controllers. I know they are willing to do it, for a small fee. I've actually been considering selling my older, bolt modded Ms to get a couple new Unicomps in their place.

I see your point.  I was just thinking about what I wanted out of my model M and you all have pointed out some backward ideas.  So, how much do you want for one of your bolt modded Ms, is it a full size or tenkeyless?  I personally prefer the full keyboard gray label meself.  I know a lot of folks like the tenkeyless, I guess I'm kind of old school in that regard.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 March 2011, 00:10:32 by bettablue »
Vintage Computer user, and collector, specializing in the IBM 5150 Personal Computer, the World\'s first REAL PC!
Keyboards - IBM Model M X 2, IBM AT X 2, IBM KB8923, Apple IIe, and Mac SE boards. 

Offline bettablue

• All Things DOS
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 00:15:55 »
Quote from: ripster;303969
My mod scale:

Beginner - key swaps or Autohotkey
Medium - IBM/Unicomp controller or LED swaps or switch swaps
Expert - bolt mod and up into KBDMania.net territory
The problem here is that I have the knowlege and have done a lot of modding before, just not on a keyboard.  I don't think the bolt mod is going to be too hard, but having one already done would definitely be a plus.  That way I can take my time on mine.  Besides, having another just in case is always a good idea in my book.  I really don't want to have to use the 8923 for too long.  I kinda got attatched to my model M.  :-(

Offline bugfix

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 04:31:09 »
WTF is a xacto knife?
*~Unicomp and Topre fan~*
I have:
Unicomp Customizer 105 German
Realforce 105GR
Unicomp Spacesaver German/Ansi hybrid(Current favorite)
I want:
Realforce 88GER
I used to have:
DAS Model S Ultimate EU (Sold)

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 04:37:10 »
Google is your friend.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 06:43:18 »
Looks like a non-retractable Stanley knife. I blame the metric system.