Author Topic: Letter repetition on Rosewill RK9000 (troubleshooting)  (Read 1808 times)

Offline Zurich

Letter repetition on Rosewill RK9000 (troubleshooting)
« on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 00:20:26 »
Hey everyone,

Wondering if I can get some feedback on a slight problem with my keyboard. I've had it for over a month now and it's honestly one of the best purchases I've ever made, but a pesky little problem has introduced itself as of late. Sometimes (not always) when I press the "U" key, it types double "uu" or triple characters. I'm not pressing it harder or holding it, at least I do not think so. Is this a common issue that comes up with mechanical keyboards? Any suggestions? It's not so bad that I'm ready to have it replaced with the warranty, but if it's something that is symptomatic of a larger problem then I would like to as soon as possible.

It seems to happen in waves. Then again I may just be hitting it twice without realizing it. But I really don't think that's it -- I consider myself a pretty well-weathered typist. Thanks for any suggestions or help.

Offline Zurich

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 00:22:41 »
Clarification: It does not type "uu" twice. It just types "uu" or "uuu" etc. instead of just "u".

Offline pitashen

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 02:25:03 »
Quote from: Zurich;304746
Clarification: It does not type "uu" twice. It just types "uu" or "uuu" etc. instead of just "u".

-  What is key chattering/bouncing?

Key "chattering" or "contact bouncing" is a natural occurance in mechanical switches that can cause one switch press to be detected as multiple presses. Under normal switch operation the digital electronics in a keyboard will filter out a small amount of natural chatter/bounce, however, in the case that an individual switch is damaged or defective, the amount of chatter/bounce can become too large to be filtered. The result is a repetition of key input seen on your computer screen for only one intended key press. This is a problem that affects only the broken switch and is a problem that is covered by your EliteKeyboards warranty.

How to test for chattering:

Severe chattering is actually very rare, but it can be very frustrating if you think the problem is you when it is actually the keyswitch.

1. Start by opening up a text editor like Notepad in MS Windows.

2. Repeatedly press and depress the suspect key and alternate each keypress with a space. It's a good idea to vary the force and keystroke depth of the key in question while performing this test; as chattering sometimes can show up in light key presses, but not in hard and visa versa.

A good switch will have output like this on your screen:

d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d

A chattering switch will output:

d d d d dd d d d dd d d d d ddd d d d d d dd ddd d d

3. Repeat step #2 for several lines and also test a few keys you do not suspect as a control case in order to eliminate your brain and fingers from the equation.

If you find you are experiencing a problem with one or more switches, please contact support@elitekeyboards.com.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //