Author Topic: IBM model AT keyboard  (Read 1221 times)

Offline bettablue

• Geeks with a Grudge. Gotta Love'em
    • All Things DOS
IBM model AT keyboard
« on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 22:22:28 »
What if anything is it compatible for right now?  I have one that came with a 1984 IBM PC AT computer and was wondering what, if anything I can use it for.  I also have the computer it came with originally, a fairly good shape AT, but I don't know if I should keep the keyboard, sell the computer or keep them both together.  I am ultimately still looking for an IBM 5150 PC, and I know the keyboard is probably not compatible with that.  That's why I'm asking.
Vintage Computer user, and collector, specializing in the IBM 5150 Personal Computer, the World\'s first REAL PC!
Keyboards - IBM Model M X 2, IBM AT X 2, IBM KB8923, Apple IIe, and Mac SE boards. 

-----------------IBM Think!---------------------

Offline JohnElliott

IBM model AT keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 20 March 2011, 07:51:07 »
The AT Model F uses the same protocol as PS/2, so with a simple passive adaptor it ought to work on anything with a PS/2 socket.

It won't work on a 5150 or other XT without an active converter like the AT2XTKBD.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
IBM model AT keyboard
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 09:28:08 »
An AT keyboard is obviously scancode set 2 only, but that's not a big issue in practice (only a few UNIX machines insist on scancode set 3).
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline bettablue

• Geeks with a Grudge. Gotta Love'em
    • All Things DOS
IBM model AT keyboard
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 09:33:02 »
That is something.  Hopefully though, I'll get the PC to work and I can use the keyboard on that.
Vintage Computer user, and collector, specializing in the IBM 5150 Personal Computer, the World\'s first REAL PC!
Keyboards - IBM Model M X 2, IBM AT X 2, IBM KB8923, Apple IIe, and Mac SE boards. 

-----------------IBM Think!---------------------