Author Topic: The Geekhack Glossary  (Read 129351 times)

Offline BlueBär

Re: The Geekhack Glossary
« Reply #150 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 07:31:08 »
I don't think adding something that barely even is a thing would be useful. I mean the thread is only 2 pages long, and there are no pictures apart from 3D renders of it yet. If it becomes more popular, sure.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #151 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 14:57:43 »
What is OG? For example, "OG Cherry" or "OG Dolch"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #152 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 15:10:35 »
Original.  It really stands for original gangster. One of the first people in a gang. In this context it means original though.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #153 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 18:36:40 »
Original.  It really stands for original gangster. One of the first people in a gang. In this context it means original though.

Ah. Ty

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #154 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 04:18:44 »
5. Scoops are just better than bars.

What are Scoops/Bars? Those aren't mentioned in the glossary.

Sentraq S60-X, dyed blank PBT keycaps, Gateron Browns

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #155 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 05:41:18 »

Welcome to Geekhack!

They are differences on the F and J keys to help touch-typists find the home keys.

Bars are short raised sections along the lower edge of the keycap.

Scoops are where the keycaps are dished slightly more than the other keys.

There are also nubs - small raised pimples usually in the centre of the keycap, although you're more likely to find those on the 5 key on a numeric keypad.

Bars are, of course, the best option out of these :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #156 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 08:26:47 »

There are also nubs - small raised pimples usually in the centre of the keycap, although you're more likely to find those on the 5 key on a numeric keypad.

I see, thank you very much!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #157 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 17:02:55 »

Welcome to Geekhack!

They are differences on the F and J keys to help touch-typists find the home keys.

Bars are, of course, the best option out of these :p

So far for me, bars have been the only option haha. Seems like the other two are unique to keyboard hobbyist shops or vintage keyboards. IDK about the raised dots, maybe for the older cellphone keypads?

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #158 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 14:01:39 »
Two terms I keep seeing are 'Alps' which I think is a switch manufacturer?? and  '1800' and that's one that I'm not sure of, might be worth adding...
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 October 2016, 14:30:56 by dead_pixel_design »

Offline Crapbag

« Reply #159 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 10:00:39 »
Alps is a switch manufacturer and 1800 refers to a compressed keyboard layout that includes a Numpad.

« Reply #160 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 11:43:05 »
Alps is a switch manufacturer and 1800 refers to a compressed keyboard layout that includes a Numpad.

Awesome thanks! That helps. Would be a good addition to the list

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #161 on: Sat, 29 October 2016, 12:35:27 »

Awesome thanks! That helps. Would be a good addition to the list

Alps can also refer to a stem/mount design for keycaps. The Alps mount is used by Alps switches and by Matias switches and looks like this:

« Reply #162 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 15:02:31 »
ANSI should be in this glossary as well

Offline keykaiser

« Reply #163 on: Thu, 10 November 2016, 18:50:30 »
Also BigAss.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #164 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 01:40:02 »
Also BigAss.

Just means extra large super big.  Not really a keyboard-specific term.

Often used in reference to Enter keys that are abnormally large.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #165 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 17:15:15 »
Can't wait for the rest.

« Reply #166 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 19:05:47 »
Does OP ever get updated on this?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #167 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 20:46:44 »

OP is still an abbrev for original post or poster ;)

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #168 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 23:25:50 »
oh no

not another romevi dadposter
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #169 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 09:23:19 »
oh no

Did you hear about the guy who invented Lifesavers? They say he made a mint.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #170 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 09:38:49 »
oh no

oh no

Did you hear about the guy who invented Lifesavers? They say he made a mint.

Hue-izard.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #171 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 10:36:10 »

Yeah just update it!

Offline paecific.jr

« Reply #172 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 13:01:01 »
Alps need some love.
First Mechanical Keyboard: IBM Model F 122

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #173 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 13:02:53 »
Will Windows 98 be added to the Geek Hack Glossary?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline JP

« Reply #174 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 10:24:57 »
Will Windows 98 be added to the Geek Hack Glossary?

Since Windows 98 is so ubiquitous it would be redundant to add this to the glossary.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #175 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 12:51:55 »
Thank you for your suggestion! I've added it to the glossary.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #176 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 13:01:50 »
Wow.....who is this guy?? :eek:

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #177 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 16:11:12 »
Wow.....who is this guy?? :eek:

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

People do come back, you know...

:P
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline proto

« Reply #178 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 12:28:06 »
Thanks for this topic!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #179 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 04:12:18 »
Thanks for this topic!

Hopefully it helps.

If there's any other terms you're (or anyone's) not sure about, feel free to ask :)

Offline cyber5am

« Reply #180 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 08:37:34 »
Being a relative newcomer to the wonderfully obsessive world of keyboards i think the Glossary is an excellent way for the noobs like me to get acquainted with the terminology used by the community.
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 March 2018, 09:07:43 by cyber5am »

Offline cyber5am

« Reply #181 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 08:57:45 »
I think it would be useful to have reference to the new and hybrid switches available ie:zealios,Tealios,zealiostotle,cherrystotle,zilents,hako,halo...etc this may have been done elsewhere on GH but i think the Glossary should be a one stop shop for terms and abbreviations that aren't immediately recognised. 

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #182 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 12:56:55 »
There definitely should be a summary somewhere how they differ, in what variations they're available and which ones are great, good or trash. I don't think that fits in here though, and I don't have enough knowledge about them to create anything like that.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #183 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 03:36:46 »
Terms and abbreviations, yes, but not necessarily a technical discussion of the differences between all the various switches.

Perhaps noting that X, Y and Z switches are compatible with Cherry switches would suffice.  And maybe noting one particular aspect of those switches that differentiate them from vanilla Cherry switches.  Zealios - switches designed by Zeal with a distinctive purple slider.  Something like that.

Offline Cptspok

« Reply #184 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 08:40:59 »
HI, thanks for the glossary!
I'm absolutly new to this so I thought I'd read the glossary first.
It's great but some word can be odd for a newbie. You describe DSA and SA as "DSA: The short spherical keycap profile used by Signature Plastics." "SA: The tall spherical keycap profile used by Signature Plastics."
I thought they were typewriter style keycaps. Isn't the word "Concave" more fitting for the definition? Again, I just discovered the keyboard world, maybe it makes sense to describe them as "spherical".

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #185 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 10:09:24 »

Isn't the word "Concave" more fitting for the definition? Again, I just discovered the keyboard world, maybe it makes sense to describe them as "spherical".

Generally, the concave surface of old (pre-1980s) keys tended to be "spherical" (that is, a high edge all the way around) and modern ones are usually "cylindrical" (with high edges on the sides but not top and bottom).

My guess is that since manual typewriters took a firm solid strike to actuate, there needed to be a well-defined depression for your fingertip to press and not slide out of.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.