Author Topic: hhkb jp vs hhkb  (Read 2357 times)

Offline tmpdev101

hhkb jp vs hhkb
« on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 20:47:05 »
Hi Everyone, I'm trying to buy my first HHKB and am trying to decide between the HHKP Pro 2 vs the HHKB JP edition.  The pros I see with the jp edition are

• Dedicated arrow keys
  • More keys at the bottom
  • No unwanted USB ports, this has a minimal design
  • I'm not sure if its true, but the videos I see on youtube for the jp edition seem to have a different sound than the normal edition

The con I see with the jp edition are that there are a lot of keys at the bottom row and not sure if they can be used.  Is it possible to use some kind of software and remap those keys?  Plus as I mentioned before the jp edition videos on youtube seem to have a different sound, is it true or is it just the video?

Offline Tactile

Re: hhkb jp vs hhkb
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 20:54:22 »
With a programmable controller you can use those extra keys for whatever you want.
REΛLFORCE

Offline sodiumjoe

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 21:51:19 »
The main concern I had when I was considering it was that the staggering is non standard. Hard to know if that would really mess with my typing, but I didn't want to risk it, having seen different reports from different people.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 21:52:57 »
another con (a dealbreaker for me) is that it has an JIS enter key

Offline tmpdev101

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 03:13:38 »
With a programmable controller you can use those extra keys for whatever you want.

Can I use a software for this instead of a controller, plus what do you mean by non standard staggering?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 03:51:46 »
Unless you're 100% sold on HHKB, there is FC660C, which is a 60% board but has dedicated arrow keys and a, perhaps, more familiar layout otherwise.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 January 2018, 19:50:16 by rowdy »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline obviouslygene

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 03:18:42 »
I'm on a HHKB Pro2 with Hasu's controller.
My arrow keys are fn + hjkl in vim fashion.
Never gone back to traditional arrow clusters again.
If you need the arrow cluster then the FC660C is a way better choice.

Offline ejewell89

• 4ever Smol
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 12:28:30 »

Can I use a software for this instead of a controller, plus what do you mean by non standard staggering?

the bottom alpha row zxcvbnm,./ is 0.25 of a whole key shifted to the left to accommodate the arrow cluster on the far right. thus the left shift is 2u wide vs traditional 2.25u.

different sounds of jp vs pro2 could be the model. most hhkb pro 2 are unsilenced (except for type-s) and it is possible that the video you watched may have been a modded jp or the jp type s. Hell, vice versa possible also (unsilenced jp, type s regular)

without a controller the jp is rough because the 1u backspace in the top right is a menace to reach. 

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 14:08:06 »
Hi Everyone, I'm trying to buy my first HHKB and am trying to decide between the HHKP Pro 2 vs the HHKB JP edition.  The pros I see with the jp edition are

• Dedicated arrow keys
  • More keys at the bottom
  • No unwanted USB ports, this has a minimal design
  • I'm not sure if its true, but the videos I see on youtube for the jp edition seem to have a different sound than the normal edition

The con I see with the jp edition are that there are a lot of keys at the bottom row and not sure if they can be used.  Is it possible to use some kind of software and remap those keys?  Plus as I mentioned before the jp edition videos on youtube seem to have a different sound, is it true or is it just the video?

Hi, I've owned both a jp edition and non-jp edition HHKB, both Type-S.  They are both super boards if you can handle their layouts - I can't. Regarding the sound, to my ears they sound exactly the same (great), and feel the same (awesome). When I had the jp edition, I got a kick out of the small space bar, I always use my right thumb for space, so never had any issues with it being so small. I struggled with training my pinkie to hit the 1u backspace, but I loved the dedicated arrow keys. I am looking to someday try the Leopold 660C. So many KBs, so little $$$.   ;D