Author Topic: I handwire my first keyb and 1/3 of the keys not work, how know why?  (Read 2857 times)

Offline mamcx

I finish the handwiring(https://imgur.com/a/YyDwF) of my first keyboard and test the keys on:

http://www.keyboardtester.com/tester.html

But a lot of keys not work.

For example, If hit "+" it register "+ Lshift Rshift". Other not register at all, or register as other keys

Others are fine and others not register at all.

The firmware is at https://gist.github.com/mamcx/42dfc8c3937a5b547dcf81f6136a3350, made with  http://kbfirmware.com/. I just download the hex it provide and load into the Teensy 2. I don't no do any extra.

This is the fails from the left:

First, the key and next what it register:

T -> Win
5 -> 5 PGUP
ALT -> LSHIFT, R-SHIFT
+ -> LSHIFT, R-SHIFT
SPACE -> SPACE + ARROW RIGHT
ESC -> dead

---

Now the thing I wanna know is if exist a method to know what is causing the problem, like debugging in software, so I not just blindy desolder everything and try again to maybe fail and repeat...

I have a multimeter, but don't know how use it and if even it could help.

Offline Tactile

Re: I handwire my first keyb and 1/3 of the keys not work, how know why?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 17:16:19 »
To diagnose, Switch Hitter might help.
REΛLFORCE

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 17:46:54 »
Interesting board - it's non standard and I can't get the 'firmware' code to load in keyboard-layout-editor.com so it's hard to imagine what the layout is.  Having a + key without a number pad is a new one...  Generally speaking your matrix looks good and you've avoided pin D6 which does funny things, so definitely don't start again!

I have noticed a problem though - all the switches in the column with ARROW RIGHT have the diodes soldered in the wrong place.  You'll need to move the diodes closer to the switch and add extension wires or this will cause problems.  Same thing on the wide key on the left at the top of the bottom picture - the wire needs to connect after the diode (please check the rest of the board as well)

The next thing to check is the pins for the rows and columns - in the config ESCAPE is row 0 column 0 so it has to work if nothing else does.  It doesn't, which suggests the pins are wrong...  Don't forget you're looking at the back of the board so column 0 is on the right, just to confuse everything!

Let me know if any of that didn't make sense :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline mamcx

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 20:06:04 »
Interesting board - it's non standard and I can't get the 'firmware' code to load in keyboard-layout-editor.com so it's hard to imagine what the layout is.

I forget to show the actual layout:

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/75c4808455c07affbad9b1911c6fe6a5

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 07:47:10 »
OK, that's bigger than I was thinking!  You must be using nearly every pin...

There's no ESCAPE key on that layout and the outputs you're getting make no sense, so definitely check your row/column pins.

Another thought - the keys with yellow labels and the ones in the numberpad have the labels in the middle not at the top like the rest of the keys, so that could be causing them to output nothing on the first layer?
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 January 2018, 08:01:23 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline JohanAR

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 10:48:37 »
If you look at the bottom row of the first picture there are 3 switches to the right of the microcontroller: The diode on the one in the middle of these 3 looks like it's soldered differently from the rest

Offline mamcx

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 10:49:11 »
Another thought - the keys with yellow labels and the ones in the numberpad have the labels in the middle not at the top like the rest of the keys, so that could be causing them to output nothing on the first layer?

The ESC key is the one labeled R2 (because I put a R2-D2 icon there  ;D ). The number pad is separated, sorry to forget to explain. But yes, I'm without 1 pin in the Teensy. I'm debating between buy a Teensy ++ or hack the D6 pin because I don't see where to put the last one (ie: I have a full column dead by lack of pin. I enable PD5-PD4, but PD4 not register anything)

The yellow labels are the extra keys I add. I just wire them "normally"... so what I need to do?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 12:20:25 »
I'm not sure if the labels being in the wrong place is making the firmware go wrong - the wiring is probably fine.  I'll have a look when I'm back on my computer as the firmware is too long to look at on a small phone screen.  If these keys work then it's not a problem :)

If you want to use pin D6 you can remove the LED from the Teensy and it will work as normal, but you're not going to be able to put it back.  Pin D4 should just work so check the wire/soldering.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 20:40:40 »
Your diodes look a little funky:

I can't tell exactly where these are on the board but that could be it.

Also make sure you haven't jumped pins with solder, have any loose swarf/solder jumping a connection.

The D6 pin was already mentioned, but that would give you a constant-on effect, not a combination keystroke.

Offline mamcx

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 19:21:53 »
What is the mean of "diodes look a little funky"?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 23:43:42 »
The diodes they circled in red are not oriented in the same direction as the rest of the diodes in the matrix. All diodes should be oriented with the black band in the same orientation with regard to he switch and matrix. Direction does matter when it comes to diodes, as they allow the voltage/current to pass only in one direction.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline mamcx

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 13:56:52 »
Then I have a problem. I put the switches that way because the gap between columns is large. I assume only matter that things get Left -> Rigth (the black mark).

---
P.D: Now I'm in a problamtic spot. Look like I need to re-wire all or do a pbc, but this also is hard to make. i wonder if using https://www.oshpark.com/shared_projects/eRLs2jhf could be good.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 January 2018, 13:59:31 by mamcx »

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 01:23:40 »
What is the mean of "diodes look a little funky"?

Your diodes are connected in series, ie one leads straight into the next - they need to be in parallel, ie connect into the same row/column line rather than into each other. Look at the line of switches which I have not circled (second from the right) and compare with the ones I did.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 January 2018, 01:25:25 by emenelopee »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 03:14:19 »
Look like I need to re-wire all or do a pbc, but this also is hard to make. i wonder if using https://www.oshpark.com/shared_projects/eRLs2jhf could be good.
They are good if you want to add LED backlighting but won't help with your wiring as you will have to cut the leads off the diodes and open each switch to put the diode in, then you run wires (or the cut diode leads) between the PCBs to make the matrix.

You only have to rewire a few switches (the ones mentioned) so get some wire and do it :)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 17:07:40 »
Look like I need to re-wire all or do a pbc, but this also is hard to make. i wonder if using https://www.oshpark.com/shared_projects/eRLs2jhf could be good.

You don't need this, nor is it a big fix or a reason to do a PCB (which will come with its own debugging and much more expensive) - just go through and make sure your diodes sit between the switch and the row/column line, not along the line -- your diodes are arranged in a way that makes the circuit see a two-way current flow when you want it to be one way, or current is being sent in the wrong direction as your one-way valve diodes are incorrect.

Caveat: this is only what I can see from the pics you've posted - it could very well be something else, though I'm pretty certain this is at least one (hopefully all!) of the bugs. And as Orange said, make sure they also all face in the right direction. Good luck!
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 January 2018, 17:46:27 by emenelopee »