Author Topic: Anyone know if the NIZ Atom66 comes pre-dampened like the rest?  (Read 3128 times)

Offline AugustCanaille

I like this layout and rounded spacebar and a semi-60%, but the only reason I like NIZ's electro-capacitive boards is the sound of their pre-dampened 87-key versions. Now that they have this new 66 key bluetooth board, I want one, but only if it comes pre-dampened (the o-rings and the grease) because I'm just not into taking apart Topre/Topre clones. Just not my thing. Anyone know how this comes stock? I looked everywhere and it SEEMS like it does not, but I'm hoping for the best.

Offline killyou

Re: Anyone know if the NIZ Atom66 comes pre-dampened like the rest?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 12:15:58 »
That's an interesting keyboard. Thank you for bringing my attention to it.

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 12:41:38 »
IME, all NiZ/Plum EC boards (aka "Nopre) come pre-banded/silenced, whether they are under the brand of NiZ, Plum, Abko, Archon, or whoever else. All the same factory and they would (presumably) not vary their production process to eliminate what is a standard on every other board they make.

However, Of the 4+ Nopre boards I've owned, none have ever come pre-lubed. In fact, I always end up domeswapping to heavier weight for increased tactility/feel, and lubing is a necessary step I take while its all opened up, and vastly improves the slight scratchiness I experience with the stock switches.
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline AugustCanaille

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 14:06:30 »
IME, all NiZ/Plum EC boards (aka "Nopre) come pre-banded/silenced, whether they are under the brand of NiZ, Plum, Abko, Archon, or whoever else. All the same factory and they would (presumably) not vary their production process to eliminate what is a standard on every other board they make.

However, Of the 4+ Nopre boards I've owned, none have ever come pre-lubed. In fact, I always end up domeswapping to heavier weight for increased tactility/feel, and lubing is a necessary step I take while its all opened up, and vastly improves the slight scratchiness I experience with the stock switches.

I did not know this, about the pre-lubing. They sure do try to sell this as a main point; I'm glad you told me beforehand.

But 35g weight and rounded spacebar and that sound is too good to pass up. I have a Leopold, but I really think the 45g advertisement is misleading: it truly feels heavier than 45g.

Where did you buy your Nopre boards from and how much, if I may ask?

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 15:31:29 »
I did not know this, about the pre-lubing. They sure do try to sell this as a main point; I'm glad you told me beforehand.

But 35g weight and rounded spacebar and that sound is too good to pass up. I have a Leopold, but I really think the 45g advertisement is misleading: it truly feels heavier than 45g.

Where did you buy your Nopre boards from and how much, if I may ask?

35g weight domes are extremely light, akin to MX reds IMO, and the tactility is minimal so they feel borderline linear. Nopre vs Topre weight ratings are not exact equivalents, but also subjective.

I don't think I've seen Nopre boards ever advertised as the switches being lubed (and have seen none on the stock switch sliders/housings), HOWEVER the Costar stabs they use do come pre-greased so they are not rattly out of the box. A little bit of re-touching with grease on the stab hooks/inserts once you have the caps off will further improve the feel.

I've owned the Abko Hacker K935P and K965P (Korean brand that I got via an importer on Amazon) which are the TKL and 100% layouts respectively. Both came with 45g and 55g domes stock, which I swapped/lubed up to 65g domes. These boards have a plastic plate, similar to HHKB and that flex helped contribute to a pleasant bottoming out and thocky sound. I acquired the EC Plum84 via Massdrop for a reasonable price, coming stock with 35g domes which were interesting but not my taste. I have since installed BKE Redux Heavy domes in that board (Aluminum or Steel plate, don't recall ATM). The last one I purchased was the Archon RE:AL Superior EX, which came stock with "50g" domes (in quotes because Hansung OEM normally only makes domes in 35/45/55/65 weights), which I am swapping into 65g domes soon. The Archon is a full aluminum heavyweight TKL that is designed by Duck, but has the same internals as any other Nopre board I've had. I scored that through a similar importer from Korea via Amazon (coincidentally the seller has the Silver version in stock ATM).
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline xuanwumen

• * Commercial Vendor
    • EZKB
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 22:53:24 »
The NIZ EC keyboards have same structures . The 66-keys are newly released. You can find them on aliexpress. There are wired version, Bluetooth version and BT RGB version.
NIZ KEYBOARDS VENDOR