Author Topic: Closest option to original IBM Model F foam  (Read 2208 times)

Offline Wazrach

• Buckling Spring Fanatic
Closest option to original IBM Model F foam
« on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 07:32:16 »
Hi guys, I know I posted something similar a little while back, but I still need some help with this.

What would be the best foam in the UK that resembles the original stuff IBM used? I'm not looking to suppress the sound with thick art foam or anything. I already made a mat out of 3mm neoprene foam, but it's WAY too thick and I've been unable to assemble the keyboard again. I need something that will give a firm key feel without dampening the ping sound at all, as that's what I want to hear. I would buy AT foam from Ellipse, but his prices are super steep unfortunately, especially with shipping to the UK...

Thanks in advance!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Closest option to original IBM Model F foam
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 07:43:10 »
Original foam was very soft, had large cells, and a "skin" on one side.

I would recommend a soft neoprene foam somewhere between 1mm and 2mm.

I doubt that you will find an exact replacement, but/and I know that some people have simply used the thin white packing sheets salvaged from items that they received in the post.

PS - clamps make re-assembly much easier
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Wazrach

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 08:59:57 »
Thanks for the reply, fohat.

I'll have a look at that, I saw some cheap enough 1.5mm neoprene on ebay - I'll give that a shot. I also have tried reassembling with clamps, but I don't think it's happening. I also don't have the tools for a bolt mod, which I think would be needed for such a firm foam mat.

Offline PerniciousPony

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 09:46:26 »
The guy running the GB for new Model F boards also has extra foam for sale.  I used some 2mm neoprene as others recommended, but my cuts aren't perfectly centered on several areas, so I've been thinking about buying the foam from him.

He messaged me a while back about it, and apparently you can buy two different sheets and put them together for the F AT and most model F boards.

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/extra-inner-foam-f62-f77-f62-split-shift-f77-split-shift-f107-f122/

Offline Wazrach

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 10:05:56 »
I'm well aware of Ellipse's foam, but the F107 foam (same as the AT but with a nav cluster) costs $40 + $49 shipping to the UK, just ridiculous. I cannot find any soft 1.5mm foam anywhere. I could get the same foam as I got before, but 1.5mm instead of 3mm. It's cheap enough, just it's still too firm and I doubt it will compress to a paper-thin level like the original foam does.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 17:40:48 »

I also have tried reassembling with clamps, but I don't think it's happening. I also don't have the tools for a bolt mod, which I think would be needed for such a firm foam mat.

A (Model F-style) "bolt mod" as shown in my guide, just 2-3 screws and nuts strategically place along the centerline of curvature, has nothing to do with sliding the plates back together, and the screws are not even put through until everything is back in place.

For re-assembly, if you have everything lined up and set properly, once you slide the plates together just far enough together to engage the tabs into their slots, even by just a hair's breadth, they will/may/should stay in place long enough for you to stand the assembly up on end, preferably on a concrete floor, and use a hammer to knock the "upper" plate down and force the tabs the rest of the way into their slots. Expect to do this more than once, especially until you get the feel for it.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Wazrach

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 11:29:23 »
Yeah, the tabs weren't even close to the backplate. I only have three strong clamps as well. The foam is really thick, and would probably push the barrels away from the barrel frame, even when assembled - that's why I said I'd need the bolt mod, not to re-assemble it. I don't have the tools for a bolt mod yet, nor do I trust myself with such a delicate task. Thanks for the advice though, I appreciate it.