Author Topic: Poker 2 caps lock flashes once, nothing works  (Read 1064 times)

Offline koki

Poker 2 caps lock flashes once, nothing works
« on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 18:48:59 »
Hello!

So my like 5 year old Poker 2 (cherry mx brown) has stopped working about a year ago. First as I can remember it was a problem with the connector, so I soldered a new one on there and it worked for like 5 minutes but then it stopped. I was like okay wtf and stored it away and went back to using a bad membrane.

Now a year later I was like, what happened to my Poker 2 so I went and found it and was really happy to start using it again.
I plugged it in and it worked for about 5-10 minutes. And then it stopped, when I unplugged it and plugged it back in the caps lock just flashed once and that's it. This happens everytime. Even the LED's that I soldered on won't turn on. Tested on 2 computers both with Windows 10 and on one of those tested also in Ubuntu Linux (the computer has 2 OS's on it).

Searched on google and all I could find was people that have problems with the caps lock blinking constantly and those solutions don't work for me.

Software: The computer doesn't recognise it at all, it just says unknown USB device (device descriptor request failed).
Events: 1. Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\5&e658374&0&2 was configured.
2. Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\5&e658374&0&2 had a problem starting.
Because it doesn't recognise it, I can't change the firmware on it.
Troubleshooting and letting windows find the drivers also doesn't work.

Hardware: Tried holding fn + R but nothing happens.
Tried different cables and USB ports.
Tried connecting it to a PS2 port with a USB to PS2 adapter.

This is all so weird to me and I would appreciate any help from you guys. I'm not a keyboard expert but I can solder or do programming if it's needed.
I'm so sorry if a thread like this has already been made but I just couldn't find it.

All I want is to type on my mechanical keyboard again!
Thank you guys!  :)

Offline jcoffin1981

Re: Poker 2 caps lock flashes once, nothing works
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 04:24:28 »
Kudos to someone willing to roll their sleeves up and dive in head first.  With that being said I really don't have a solution for you.  It's pretty obviously an issue with the connection at the USB cord. Hopefull the connection on the board is not destroyed and you can clean off the solder and reattach the cord cleanly.  It's either shorted or one of the joints is no longer secure.  Good luck.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.