Author Topic: Aluminum 60% case - GH60, Poker, Pure  (Read 83702 times)

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
Re: Aluminum 60% case - GH60, Poker, Pure
« Reply #250 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 19:04:59 »
Thanks for the leads guys. I don't mind trying to source from other countries either, it's hard to find these in the US. And just to be clear, i'm not looking for spacers. They need to be standoffs with male threads on the bottom (to screw into the case) and female threads no top (for PCB to screw into). The spacing height needs to be 0.125", or metric 3.25mm, and the male thread length needs to be less than 0.15". All these criteria is very similar to the KMAC2 standoff pictured below. Hex or round is fine. They don't even look like standoffs in typical computers you see, more like screws with threaded top.

18238-0 18240-1 18242-2

That's an awfully short standoff.  The thread depth would be miniscule.  You sure that's what the KMAC2 parts are?
Yes, both standoff length and male thread lengths are pretty short, and that's more than enough clearance you need to raise the PCB high enough so the switch pins do not touch the case bottom. Thread length does not need to be long, it's not holding down much force like Beast said.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 April 2013, 19:07:14 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #251 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 22:11:33 »
If the large diameter is only .125 thick then you will only have the length to work with for the female thread. That would be difficult to manufacture. The threads for iMAV cases were #2-56. A #2 thread has an O.D. of .086. You could extend the lengh available if the lower thread, the male, was made to be a larger diameter. Then the tap drill and threads of the female thread could go down into the male thread, from the opposite side, of course.

Just some rambling ...

John

Offline calavera

« Reply #252 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 23:07:34 »
Not sure if this would help but looks like you can get them made.

http://www.accuratescrew.com/CatalogPage.aspx?ProdCat=STFTHDQ_MFH

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #253 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 07:16:59 »
Why not spacers?  Screw goes through pcb, through a sleeve,  directly into case.  Sleeve holds up pcb. Perhaps a little difficult to install but probably cheap.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #254 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 07:08:45 »
So many awesome cases and only on can give shelter to my precious GH60 PCB :D

Offline cobraj

« Reply #255 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 14:47:06 »

Indeed there are haha :D

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #256 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 17:17:52 »
You only got one GH60?!?
Russ

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #257 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 18:35:44 »

The price of the GH60 just dropped to $30, you should buy 2 or 3!

Offline gomez18

« Reply #258 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 20:28:10 »
I have a GH60 on order with the Pure plate and switch placement. Will that plate fit in this case? Sorry if this is an obvious question. I'm kind of a newb at this.

Offline cobraj

« Reply #259 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 22:19:35 »
I have a GH60 on order with the Pure plate and switch placement. Will that plate fit in this case? Sorry if this is an obvious question. I'm kind of a newb at this.

Yeah it should.. This case was made for the GH60 :)

Offline gomez18

« Reply #260 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 22:43:43 »
Ok. One more question. I currently have my order including the plate and plate mounted stabilizers. Should I forego the plate and get the plate that comes with this keyboard? Would the switches be soldered to the board and the plate can pass over it? It seems like I should be able to apply the stabilizers to the plate that comes with this case and put the plate over the PCB and be good to go. Is that accurate? If so, I will remove the plate from my GH60 order.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #261 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 09:32:04 »

Yeah it should.. This case was made for the GH60 :)
Looking at the designs i'd say that the case is only compatible with the custom plate that WFD will supply. However, if he gets his standoffs sorted out then it will support the GH60 plate.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline gomez18

« Reply #262 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 13:38:00 »
If the standoffs don't get sorted out and I have to swap this new plate for the GH60 plate, would that involve desoldering all the switches to get them mounted on the new plate or can they pop off and on after they have already been soldered? I'm getting it assembled from the GH60 groupbuy but, if I would need to desolder and solder the switches on again to get them in this case, I might consider forgoing the assembled option or, perhaps, look at a case that can take the GH60 plate.

Offline Jmneuv

« Reply #263 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 10:31:46 »
I keep wondering about the way the plate is mounted:
My understanding of a plate doing as intended is that the plate itself is mounted to the case, the switches are mounted to the plate and the force exerted on the switch is transmitted into the plate - all the while the pcb is practically dangling off the collective switch solder feet.
Now when i use standoffs on the PCB that would defeat the purpose of the plate, no? Sure it still strengthens the overall assembly, but it's much closer to a pure pcb mount since the pcb is directly taking force again.

Offline regack

« Reply #264 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 11:11:41 »
WFD's design allows for the plate to be optional.  In the case where you don't use a plate, you'll need the standoffs to mount the PCB.  The plate is generally less flexible than a PCB and translates to a more solid feel. 

I imagine WFD arrived at the size he did (standoff height) in order to help reduce overall material/machining costs.  Changing to a longer 0.25" standoff would probably mean starting with thicker stock and machining out additional material, or making the design thinner on the bottom or something else undesireable. 

I'm not sure what I'm responding to, maybe just keeping hope alive :D

Offline Jmneuv

« Reply #265 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 11:19:59 »
So when i use a plate, the standoffs become optional?
(sorry if there was a detail discussion about standoff heights, i missed it)

Offline eon

« Reply #266 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 11:24:18 »
Yes if you use the plate that comes with this case, you don't need the standoffs
Poker MX Red - Photos

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #267 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 11:24:56 »
So when i use a plate, the standoffs become optional?
(sorry if there was a detail discussion about standoff heights, i missed it)

If you use the integrated plate that comes with the case, the standoffs are not necessary. If you use one of the existing Poker plates, or a plate from the GH60 group buy, using the standoffs is necessary to mount the board into the case.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline HannibalChew

• Formerly PixelScript
    • gaffworks
« Reply #268 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 19:33:23 »
How much will this be? I'm going to remove the plate from my GH60 order so i can use the plate from this. Looks like an awesome case.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #269 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 10:04:55 »
How is it going with this case?
I've been holding up on my GH60 order because this is the only case I want with it.
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline tradet

« Reply #270 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 14:34:11 »
This case should be possible with a GH60 full keys layout right?

Edit: Yeah it should be with the modular top. I just got  bit confused with the winkeyless blockers.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 April 2013, 16:02:25 by tradet »

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #271 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 23:12:15 »
any new updates?

Offline tadbitnerdy

« Reply #272 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 05:54:28 »
I'd take one!

Offline bugsaint

« Reply #273 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 16:27:08 »
Read through the entire thread and it would seem my order for a GH60 and plate (with the soldering option) would mean I have to use the standoffs with this case  :(

Unless of course I desolder everything and use the plate that comes with this case - something I would loathe to do as I don't even own a soldering iron - plus the fact I've already paid for the soldering option /sigh.

Any chance this case can accommodate the plates that are coming with the GH60 GB?  :D

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #274 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 21:56:37 »
I just saw this and I instantly thought of your design

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43536.msg902039#msg902039

I can't wait to see where you go this your design.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #275 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 21:57:32 »
Out of curiosity why do you choose those circular brass weights instead of a single big one?
github

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #276 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 22:02:54 »
I know it's been many months since I intended to send it out for quotes, but I've been swamped with Phantom and GH60 GB. When things settle down in the summer, I can finally continue with this again.

I just saw this and I instantly thought of your design

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43536.msg902039#msg902039

Yeah I saw that one too. I considered grabbing one, but it was too similar to my own design, and I'd rather wait until mine comes through. There's more self-satisfaction that way.

Out of curiosity why do you choose those circular brass weights instead of a single big one?

There are standoffs, so 1 large disc will interfere with at least one or more standoffs. Also, the larger the diameter, the thinner it must be, otherwise milling out the area for the disc will make it go all the way through the case at the front (the thinner side).

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #277 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 22:06:34 »
There are standoffs, so 1 large disc will interfere with at least one or more standoffs. Also, the larger the diameter, the thinner it must be, otherwise milling out the area for the disc will make it go all the way through the case at the front (the thinner side).
Never understood why people don't just get the standoffs machined out of the piece of brass. Brass is a better material for threaded holes and it means you don't need to be making angled standoffs. You can simply mount the brass at an angle. However, if it'll go through the front then fair enough.
github

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #278 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 07:59:53 »
When can we see real pictures?

So many cases GB going on right now it's so hard to choose.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #279 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 11:37:47 »
When can we see real pictures?

So many cases GB going on right now it's so hard to choose.

it is still in the design/concept phase in the OP is some renderings from the software being used to design it.
it has been said before that it may be after the gh60 GB before this gets started.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #280 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 00:10:58 »
Any update on this? I think this is my favorite case design and I would love to own one.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #281 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 23:01:05 »
I've been working on this for the past few months and this is what I have so far. It's nearly done but I still have to refine some stuff.

top view with some edge lines
Show Image

bottom view without any reference edge lines
Show Image

Color-coded by parts, and next to a matching concept GHkeyad
Show Image

Color-coded by parts, concept GH70 (GH60 + GHkeypad)
Show Image

What this design allows:

1) compatibility with all 60% layout - includes poker, pure, and upcoming GH60

2) integrated plate - there will be a plate that screws into the bottom piece of the main case.

3) removable switches - the plate allows for removal of the top switch housing without desoldering. The plate design also allows for rotated switches to be removed. You'll also have the option to choose between costar stabilizers, PCB-mounted stabilizers, or plate-mounted stabilizers. Refer to HERE for more info.

4) modular top cover - The top cover has 3 different designs, allows you to choose a winkeyless cover, HHKB style, or standard full keys

5) optional plate - The PCB can be mounted into the case without a plate, made possible by the 5 screw-in standoffs. This was for people that prefer PCB bottom-out feeling.

6) compatibility with the older poker plate - The PCB/plate combo is a direct drop-in without any mods. The old plate won't be able to screw into the case, but you can still screw this PCB/plate combo down to the standoffs.

7) (maybe) optional brass discs - You can add different numbers of brass discs at the bottom to make the case heavier, or take them all off for a lighter case. Any amount up to 4.

more details and description later....

"What this design allows" is a great checklist... that's a custom keyboard case & plate !

Topre REALFORCE

Offline amishmansteve

« Reply #282 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 23:16:32 »
This looks very cool, and exactly what I've been searching for recently! Will be watching this thread... :D
LOAD "*",8,1    kbtpure | cmstorm qftk

Offline Qipz

« Reply #283 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 18:01:32 »
Read through the entire thread and it would seem my order for a GH60 and plate (with the soldering option) would mean I have to use the standoffs with this case  :(

Unless of course I desolder everything and use the plate that comes with this case - something I would loathe to do as I don't even own a soldering iron - plus the fact I've already paid for the soldering option /sigh.

Any chance this case can accommodate the plates that are coming with the GH60 GB?  :D

I'd like to know this as well for the same reason.

Offline gropingmantis

« Reply #284 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 06:26:32 »
Really want one of these, best looking case with HHKB blockers I have seen.

Any chance of ISO plates?

Offline madderoftime

« Reply #285 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 17:14:09 »
Was just thinking the brass disks you could make slightly smaller than the whole for them and then put a thin UHMW or similar disk under it. Fasten with a nylon screw in the center and then it would be electrochemically isolated from the aluminum case. Eliminating corrosion issues for the disk no matter what material was used for it. To protect against shock (OMG don't drop it but...) put a strip of thin closed cell foam around the outside edge compressing it very slightly when mounting with the nylon screw. For a bit more torque I would suggest about a M6 flathead screw. My thoughts anyway nice work so far! Watching as many others.
GH60 Nevermore

Offline Qipz

« Reply #286 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 17:32:11 »

Wait, reading this post made me wonder, I could use this case if I ordered the gh60 assembled on a 1.25 iso plate right?

Offline gnubag

« Reply #287 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 17:36:59 »

Wait, reading this post made me wonder, I could use this case if I ordered the gh60 assembled on a 1.25 iso plate right?

5) optional plate - The PCB can be mounted into the case without a plate, made possible by the 5 screw-in standoffs. This was for people that prefer PCB bottom-out feeling.

6) compatibility with the older poker plate - The PCB/plate combo is a direct drop-in without any mods. The old plate won't be able to screw into the case, but you can still screw this PCB/plate combo down to the standoffs.

Offline Qipz

« Reply #288 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 15:28:45 »

Ah, good to know!

Offline Qipz

« Reply #289 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 12:43:17 »
Any news about this case?

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #290 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 04:06:43 »
This is prob a dumb question but I would like to ask it anyway.

Could a design like this be 3d printed by shapeways?

Offline thoere

« Reply #291 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 12:14:48 »
Any updates on this?

Offline dkssudgktpdy

« Reply #292 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 10:29:34 »
any new updates?

i waiting it.

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #293 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 19:47:56 »
Had any time to work on this recently, WFD?

Offline TLSC.wipeOut

• "Who dares, wins"
« Reply #294 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 23:15:51 »
i just came across this now... amazing design!
OTD 456GT with Lubricated 68g Gold Spring MX Clears and GMK Dolch Keycap set

WTB: KMAC2 kit

Offline Strelok

« Reply #295 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 16:49:33 »
This isn't dead - is it?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #296 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 16:52:15 »
This isn't dead - is it?

Well considering the last few posts were more or less necro posts....and WFD is pretty much MIA, it seems to be dead.

Offline dkssudgktpdy

« Reply #297 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 06:14:34 »
OMG... really dead?  :(